Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
lordkiller14

Question about planes

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
76 posts
1,962 battles

currently im grinding my way through the zuiho to the ryujo. the question i have is:
on tier VI there are a lot of ships with good aa who can easily shoot down tier VI TB and DB, so how can i ensure that i do the most damage to a ship with good aa?

is it better to just group up the planes and with pure brute force overwhelm the ship and sink it? 
i would like to hear some advice from all of you, fellow CV captains:Smile_smile:

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
79 posts
7,717 battles

If possible, choose other targets first with lower AA ratings while your team hits the high AA ships with HE.  This will reduce the effectiveness of the enemy AA, so that later in the match you can strike those ships and hopefully lose less planes while making your attack run.  If you have no choice but to attack the high AA ship, try sending your planes in to see if they trigger Defensive Fire (your drop pattern will change to show you that they have engaged it in the same way that your drop pattern changes when enemy fighters attack your bombers).  If they trigger Defensive Fire, pull your planes back right away and wait 30s or so, depending on the active period of the consumable on that particular ship.  After that, brute force attacks work well.

Also, consider hitting an enemy ship once to trigger flooding or fire, then wait for them to put it out.  As soon as they do, hit them with a second wave and the fire or flooding will stick.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
9 posts
4,352 battles

Learn the angles where a ships' AA guns are most concentrated. Most of the time it's obviously port and starboard (left and right) have the most concentrated AA making it difficult for TB drops, but for DB drops attacking from the stern or bow will reduce plane losses. Also dropping your TBs at a distance will have a chance to reduce plane losses. Make sure to use your cross drop ability if you are running the 1/2/2 setup.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles
4 minutes ago, NavySeal said:

Learn the angles where a ships' AA guns are most concentrated. Most of the time it's obviously port and starboard (left and right) have the most concentrated AA making it difficult for TB drops, but for DB drops attacking from the stern or bow will reduce plane losses. Also dropping your TBs at a distance will have a chance to reduce plane losses. Make sure to use your cross drop ability if you are running the 1/2/2 setup.

AA guns don't have firing angles in this game. They are auras or a bubble which every AA gun contributes to the DPS within that bubble.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aerial_Combat#Anti-Air_.28AA.29_Defense

@lordkiller14 It's a good idea to learn which ships have good AA and their ranges. Early game focus on taking out lone ships and weak AA ships, later after the boats with good AA have taken enough HE hits (HE destroys AA guns) then they are softened up enough to go for directly. As mentioned above you can bait ships into triggering their defensive fire and then wait for it to run out before striking, but even then save attacking ships with good AA till later. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
76 posts
1,962 battles

well i know that most cruisers from tier VI and up have def aa so most of them are a no go, but some bbs are really good targets but im having trouble dealing with the scout fighters they panic the bombers and mess up the drop pattern... so is best to just abort the attack and go around until the rear gunner shuts down the scout fighter or just launch the attack regardless?

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
9 posts
4,352 battles
22 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

AA guns don't have firing angles in this game. They are auras or a bubble which every AA gun contributes to the DPS within that bubble.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aerial_Combat#Anti-Air_.28AA.29_Defense

That's too bad especially with larger battleships where it is obvious that certain AA batteries shouldn't have an angle to be able to shoot at the planes. In personal experience I just feel like my DBs survive when attacking from bow or stern, more seem to return home. Guess just RNG working in my favor in those instances. Thanks for the info.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
26 minutes ago, lordkiller14 said:

so is best to just abort the attack and go around until the rear gunner shuts down the scout fighter or just launch the attack regardless?

Easiest thing is to just go away and find something else to attack until the float fighter lands. Combined with ship AA, those stupid little gnats can cost you an entire squad if RNG decides to be hatin' on you.

If some DF AA cruiser or DD isn't nearby to cause problems, or you can distract it with your own fighter, then just zerg-rush the target BB (accepting that one squad may be less accurate,) before anything else shows up to cause problems. Much past T6 though and some battleships start having AA ratings that mean you're better off waiting until later in the game to attack them.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

Just making sure it's understood, despite how basic this sounds:  When the match is still loading, preview the AA Ratings of the opposing ships.

Spoiler

CDyNRyp.jpg

Go to the Team Members tab and you can hover the cursor over the ship icon and preview the ship ratings for everyone.  Give it some seconds on loading for the game to update the ship stats from the stock stats.

It is important to do this because you can see who actually has good AA and who doesn't.  You will find ships that tend to have a good reputation for AA.  But sometimes when you check on them, the player didn't bother at all to buff that ship's AA.  

North Carolina for example has a terrific AA reputation.  However, if a player didn't buff the AA aspect of NC, then the ship is suddenly quite vulnerable to air attacks.  Ships in their Stock Hulls may not have the fiercer AA of their later hull modules.

It is also important to check the stats because sometimes there are ships that typically don't have good AA because of build preferences, i.e. German Battleships, but you have the occasional crazies that go do something like this:

Spoiler

oLLzQM3.jpg

And turn the ship into a No Fly Zone.  Since I took that screenshot, I added Manual AA Trait and changed out MAM1 for the upgrade to toughen up my secondary and AA mounts.  Planes do not survive her AA range, even Saipan's Tier IX planes evaporate.  The ships that sail with me in that thing don't need an AA Cruiser like Cleveland, Atlanta.  She doesn't even need Defensive Fire, nor is even capable of carrying it.  I catch many CVs with this ship, thinking I'm easy prey for their bombers.  If they previewed the Team Members tab while the match was loading, they'd see a Tier VII ship with 96 AA rating.  They'd know right away to steer clear of this "bait" and go for something else.

Sign in to follow this