You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Psycodiver

Tier 6 Battleship Review: New Mexico

12 comments in this topic

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,530 posts
3,526 battles

shot-17_08.28_20_09.06-0856.thumb.jpg.7f75ae228c19fca902279f6125af99f1.jpg

New Mexico

Welcome Captains to the Best of the Southwest, the New Mexico. Boy where to start with this one, well she is fighting the Bayern hard for Worse Tier 6 Battleship in terms of player performance YET a good amount of players seem to agree shes one of the best Battleships in Tier 6 and is very well balanced in tier 6 against the competition. Huh? I know that doesn't make any sense but I have a theory, when I joined this game in OBT I went up the USN BB line first and the USN BB line is pretty consistently played more than any other line (outside of new line launches) so I believe the issue is new players tackle the line first and since their new they're more prone to 'derping'. I will admit it my original stats weren't exactly great in her, but I loved her and kept using her even thought I moved up the line and as I learned to be a better player, my stats also improved in this girl. So whats she like then? Well when played correctly she is a pain in the stern  for the enemy to deal with. Angled correctly you won't ever eat a citadel aside from the random ones. You also have one of the best torpedo protection in game and with her great turn circle means they will have to try to kill you by a thousand cuts, which sounds easy until slam them with the highest velocity 14" guns in the game. Unfortunately her speed begins to become apparent when bottom tier, but if you can adjust for this then it shouldn't be a issue. How do you adjust, well its a secret but I use a highly illegal mod call the Mini-map that WG provides for free and in between salvos I look at this illegal mod so I know where not only where the enemy currently is but what my allies are doing.

Health

In the armor department she doesn't let down, she has 343mm of belt armor and 343mm of forward and aft citadel armor which makes a box around your citadel. She also has 50mm of turtle back but isn't as well slopped as the German's which means you don't get the near citadel immunity they get. She is covered in 25mm of armor which means bow on you can bounce 14" shells but 15"+ shells will punch right through. Also all that 25mm of armor means she is prone to HE penetration damage. HP wise she is pretty much average at 53,200 HP and she gets 42% torpedo damage reduction thanks to her awesome torpedo protection, she has some the best protection in her Tier and some of the best protection in the entire game so if your going to take a torpedo try to get it to hit your torpedo bulge.

Guns

These are similar 14" guns found on other USN BBs except they only get 45 caliber rifles, the NM gets 50 caliber rifles which gives her some of the best velocity in T6 and is the highest velocity 14" guns in game and with the fact you get 12 of them means leading those pesky Cruisers and Destroyers is a much easier task. Take note I didn't say hit though because the NM has pretty bad dispersion, BUT you do throw a massive amount of American Steal at them which almost guarantees a couple hits or citadels. Moving on to her range, well its terrible, every USN BB up to T7 got a nice range buff a couple patches back, except this ship, it got a small buff and it really limits your build. Fully upgraded your limited to 16.1km which is nearly unusable when you are seeing Tier 8 battles, this means you don't have much of a option but to run the Artillery Plotting Room Mod to extend your range to a usable 18.7km. She also has the slowest reload at 34.2 seconds and a terrible turret rotation time of 60 seconds, this alone really limits the ship which I know sounds terrible but I do have to say these guns are awesome when they hit

Finally a USN BB with secondaries that are somewhat useful, I know most people will laugh but the 127mm on this ship aren't that bad. They don't do allot of damage when they hit but do have a decent fire chance and RoF is good enough to set sometimes several fires on enemy ships

AA

The New Mexico has a nicely balanced AA and has pretty even DPS numbers through her auras which makes her more dangerous the closer planes get, along with AFT and BFT skills, she can easily shrug off lower tier and same tier CVs and hold her own in higher tier CV matches. Though I'm not saying she can sail straight with incoming planes, in combination with her turn radius and torpedo bulges is what makes her strong in this regard

Speed/Rudder

Welcome back to 21 knots and if you thought it was getting old, HAHAHAHA, just you wait till Tier 7. Her rudder shift is decent at 14.2 seconds (11.4 seconds with Rudder mod) and her turn circle is a tight 640m

Mods

I ran the usual Main Armament Mod 1, Artillery Plotting Room mod 1, and Damage Control Mod 1 and 2. I ran Plotting Room because the extra range is very much needed with high tier gameplay and I built this ship for tanking so I used DCS2 with the combination of appropriate captain skills makes for a harder to sink ship

Captain Skills

For the first tier I used Direction Center Catapult Plane for the poor mans Hydro, second tier I got Expert Marksman to help out the turret traverse. For third skill I got Basic Fire Training but Basics of Survivability or Superintendent are viable and for the fourth skill I used for Advanced Firing Training. Coming around again to tier 2 I went with Adrenaline Rush to boost the RoF in mid and late game DPM

Tactics

She plays like the proceeding New York, a much tougher harder hitting New York. Personally I ran the Spotter Plane, not for range but for shooting into smoke which this ship does well because of her wonky dispersion, she can literally spread shells through out a smoke cloud. I lost track of the amount of random citadels and hits I've scored on smoke campers. This ship, as mentioned before. has 343mm of armor on all 4 sides of her citadel forming a box, to fully protect your citadel and I found you need to angle at about 45 degrees to the incoming enemy fire so it is hitting the corner of that box. You will catch over pens but those are fairly healable which is much better than citadel damage. I like to start the match by staying on the side I started, which I announce in chat. Most players will follow the ship that moves first because lemming trains and thanks to target fixation and your slow speed most of your allies will advance past you and turns them into nice meat shields. 15km is the start of her sweet zone but even max range is workable in this ship thanks to its velocity and punchy shells, but dispersion gets pretty bad out there. As I mentioned, use that illegal mod called Mini-map the WG provides for free, in between salvos I check it to see where the enemy is, what my friendlies are doing, and most important what DDs have been accounted for and where they were last spotted. Push when your allies are with you, if they start to run you need to run too, you don't have the speed to be late to turn around. One mistake I see often with USN BBs is players trying to cross the map when they should be fighting the area they start in, your to slow and it takes your guns out of action for to long so please don't do it. if your allies lemming train the other direction. then be the rear guard and kite the heck out of the enemy

How did I do

This is a new section for my reviews, every ship I play for a review I play 10 times in a row and keep account of various factors, granted this doesn't show a solid stats, but hopefully gives a idea of where I'm coming from.

Out of the 10 battles I saw CVs 70% of the time with double CVs once out of that 70% and I averaged 3.8 plane kills during those CV matches. I was in Tier 8 matches 30% of the time, tier 7 50% and I was top tier 20% of the time. I averaged 1362 base XP with my best game was 1867 base XP. My winrate was 80% and my survived 60% with a kill average 1.7. Accuracy was 24% with average damage was 76,249, best game was 108,121 with a average damage per shell of 1683 (meaning every shell that hit average out to this number)

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Is Gudboat

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
779 posts
6,640 battles

The New Mexico was a much better ship a long time ago when the game didn't have IFHE, terrible T6 MM, and lots of BBs that have 380+ mm guns to lol-pen her with. She's slow to move, her turrets rotate slowly, and her guns are slow to reload as well. Everything about this ship is just painfully slow, she's like a Churchill tank on water. Although the one thing I did like about the New Mexico was her very fast AP shell velocity, which made leading targets quite easy. Nevertheless, the New Mexico has seen better days.

Edited by Cruiser_Chicago

[ASHIP]
Members
584 posts
5,221 battles

You know how in Rick and Morty, Summer turns into a big, deformed monster by falling into an enlargement ray? The New Mexico is a USN DD gunboat which fell into an enlargement ray and came out a big, fat, ugly monster that stamps around and throws pinetrees at teenage lovers trying to have a romantic night out camping.

I love the thing.

[BIER]
Members
5 posts
4,607 battles

A great BB IMO, played tons of ranked battles on it with nice results...but so SLOW!

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,977 posts
5,711 battles

They should bump the sigma up to 1.7, and reduce the reload to 31 seconds.

Otherwise it's just a worse Arizona.

[REVY]
Members
6,019 posts
5,102 battles

For whatever reason, I can't stand the slow speeds of these US Standards.  When it comes to positioning, I feel utterly passive and helpless.  I did not enjoy my New Mexico grind, and that was back when her only competitor was the IJN BB line and the Warspite.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,530 posts
3,526 battles
19 hours ago, Big_Spud said:

I'm ok with her sigma and dispersion honestly, but a reload buff and a range buff like the rest of the USN got would be nice because a player can make a more versatile build, either range, AA, or Secondaries. Right now a player is limited to just range right now because it's 16.1km range is worse than any t5 BB let alone it's own tier and above

[-S-R-]
Members
317 posts
7,107 battles

My favorite battleship of all that I have now and had in the past.   Hmmmm, that sound vaguely lewd.

[LEGIO]
Members
2,956 posts
5,370 battles
22 hours ago, Big_Spud said:

This.