Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grathew

Some thoughts fighter bombers

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

87
[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

With all this talk about giving Graf Zeppelin FW 190s with torpedoes that got me thinking about fighter bombers, and torpedo bombers. 

My thoughts on Graf with any kind of torpedo bomber is Nein Nein Nein Nein as I do not want to see another carrier 'balanced' by being given torpedo bombers. If a carrier must have torpedo bombers to be competitive then there isn't a problem with the carrier but rather the torpedo bomber and the meta. But that's a rant for a different day.

However the addition of fighter/torpedo bomber FW 190s as that is something that interests me as it has yet to be added to the game. What if these FW 190s carrying torpedoes would become after dropping their torpedoes become another fighter squad. I think these fighter bombers would be without the ability to strafe, as the torpedo drop would replace that. Now they wouldn't have tail gunners, thus they would be defenseless until dropping their torpedo for the sake of not getting your torpedo bomber squad locked down. I am thinking that hit points would be 1800, due to not being able to take advantage of the +20% to fighter health. I would also say that Air Supremacy wouldn't increase their squad size by 1. Using the FW 190 as a base I would say the DPS should be around 65 after the +10% granted by the first air groups mod. As the torpedo bomber variant of the FW 190 being the F-8/U3 version (according to a quick wiki search) was armed with  two 13 mm machine guns mounted near the engine and two 20mm cannons in the wing roots. As this is similar to the A6M and by tier the A6Mc on Hiryu is closest. Having a DPS of 64, these A6Ms  have 7.7 mm machine guns in the place of the 13 mm you find on the FW 190 so give the FW 190s which I thinks allows for one extra DPS. This coupled with the current Graf Zeppelin load out of 41, would make them tough but not always lethal fighters. Now while this would give the Graf better fighter coverage than any other carrier you would be sacrificing torpedo damage for it.

The numbers I put out here need testing, and people may go on about how this kind of thing would ruin 'ranked' or 'competitive' game play. I see that as irrelevant as the last two ranked seasons wouldn't have allowed the Graf Zeppelin anyway being set at tiers 7 and 6, and the 'competitive' mode hasn't been enabled for public usage in months. Maybe when Clan battles comes to world of warships it would impact it there, but I see that as too far out to be worried about for now. Further more this could be adapted to the Royal Navy carriers as I have read more than a few threads saying that they used fighter dive bombers. Which could help with making the Royal Navy different than anything we currently have. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,204 battles

Carriers that can't effectively deal damage are inherently weaker than those that can. End of story. You can't ever be balanced if one thing is inherently weaker than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles
8 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

Carriers that can't effectively deal damage are inherently weaker than those that can. End of story. You can't ever be balanced if one thing is inherently weaker than others.

I'm assuming the whole fighter bomber idea didn't interest you at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,315
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles

The idea of fighter bombers is worth exploring with Graf Zeppelin, if only to gain in game experience and test ideas for the inevitable reliance of future RN Armoured Carriers on their fighter bombers, of which the stalwart was the Hurricane, but also the many other strike fighter designs they came up with. +1 for the thoughtful idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,313
[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles
13 minutes ago, Grathew said:

I'm assuming the whole fighter bomber idea didn't interest you at all?

 

Not sure; I'd almost rather they just get and ability to damage AA modules using rockets and/or machineguns using an anti-surface strafe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure; I'd almost rather they just get and ability to damage AA modules using rockets and/or machineguns using an anti-surface strafe.

 

That was more of a question for the Captian.

Either way I think that any ship caught in the strafe area should have some AA guns knocked out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[SW]
Members
118 posts
3,898 battles
1 hour ago, Grathew said:

With all this talk about giving Graf Zeppelin FW 190s with torpedoes that got me thinking about fighter bombers, and torpedo bombers. 

My thoughts on Graf with any kind of torpedo bomber is Nein Nein Nein Nein as I do not want to see another carrier 'balanced' by being given torpedo bombers. If a carrier must have torpedo bombers to be competitive then there isn't a problem with the carrier but rather the torpedo bomber and the meta. But that's a rant for a different day.

However the addition of fighter/torpedo bomber FW 190s as that is something that interests me as it has yet to be added to the game. What if these FW 190s carrying torpedoes would become after dropping their torpedoes become another fighter squad. I think these fighter bombers would be without the ability to strafe, as the torpedo drop would replace that. Now they wouldn't have tail gunners, thus they would be defenseless until dropping their torpedo for the sake of not getting your torpedo bomber squad locked down. I am thinking that hit points would be 1800, due to not being able to take advantage of the +20% to fighter health. I would also say that Air Supremacy wouldn't increase their squad size by 1. Using the FW 190 as a base I would say the DPS should be around 65 after the +10% granted by the first air groups mod. As the torpedo bomber variant of the FW 190 being the F-8/U3 version (according to a quick wiki search) was armed with  two 13 mm machine guns mounted near the engine and two 20mm cannons in the wing roots. As this is similar to the A6M and by tier the A6Mc on Hiryu is closest. Having a DPS of 64, these A6Ms  have 7.7 mm machine guns in the place of the 13 mm you find on the FW 190 so give the FW 190s which I thinks allows for one extra DPS. This coupled with the current Graf Zeppelin load out of 41, would make them tough but not always lethal fighters. Now while this would give the Graf better fighter coverage than any other carrier you would be sacrificing torpedo damage for it.

The numbers I put out here need testing, and people may go on about how this kind of thing would ruin 'ranked' or 'competitive' game play. I see that as irrelevant as the last two ranked seasons wouldn't have allowed the Graf Zeppelin anyway being set at tiers 7 and 6, and the 'competitive' mode hasn't been enabled for public usage in months. Maybe when Clan battles comes to world of warships it would impact it there, but I see that as too far out to be worried about for now. Further more this could be adapted to the Royal Navy carriers as I have read more than a few threads saying that they used fighter dive bombers. Which could help with making the Royal Navy different than anything we currently have. 

Maybe use the current GZ players as test subjects.

20 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

 

Not sure; I'd almost rather they just get and ability to damage AA modules using rockets and/or machineguns using an anti-surface strafe.

Nice Idea!

12 minutes ago, Grathew said:

 

That was more of a question for the Captian.

Either way I think that any ship caught in the strafe area should have some AA guns knocked out. 

That would be historic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

@borbeck using the Graf Zeppelin players as test subjects is what those of us who didn't refund the ship signed up for. We might as well test as many things for WG while we can. Besides who knows it could be fun? Also I'd like to know why the strafe doesn't effect AA guns in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[SW]
Members
118 posts
3,898 battles

I just do not think any one until you had thought of it.

5 minutes ago, Grathew said:

@borbeck using the Graf Zeppelin players as test subjects is what those of us who didn't refund the ship signed up for. We might as well test as many things for WG while we can. Besides who knows it could be fun? Also I'd like to know why the strafe doesn't effect AA guns in the first place. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

I think it has been around since before the strafe was added into the game, as I remember reading forum threads about it in 2015 I think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

More AA seems to be their current plan on balancing carriers....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,315
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,465 posts
6,648 battles
14 minutes ago, Grathew said:

More AA seems to be their current plan on balancing carriers....

Far easier than to teach players how to use their WASD keys/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×