You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NotSynpax

The real reason for the WoWs decline

158 comments in this topic

Members
1,727 posts
12,450 battles

I think the game is doing fine and the upcoming Clan Wars will remedy the lack of Team Battles.  I do notice that many complaining in this thread tend to play the forums more than the game... :cap_popcorn:

Members
24,058 posts
6,042 battles
30 minutes ago, VGLance said:

...it also attracts a huge segment of longer term strategy players who, like chess, are processing and forecasting at a much greater depth. 

That's where I disagree. I think turn-based and RTS games are what attract the huge segment of those type of players. We get the ones who look for some action mixed in with their strategy.

If there were a huge market for this style of game, wouldn't some of the giants be looking for a slice of the pie?

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

That's where I disagree. I think turn-based and RTS games are what attract the huge segment of those type of players. We get the ones who look for some action mixed in with their strategy.

Lance is saying a lot of stuff that makes sense today, but I think you're right here.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,333 battles

Everyone seems to be missing the point.

You keep comparing NA numbers. 

Go look at the RU numbers and tell me how that server is doing. 

I haven't checked EU in a while, but last time I checked RU it was a huge difference. 

[CHASE]
2,947 posts
11,440 battles

You all seem to be forgetting that other servers are growing at incredibly fast rates. NA is growing slowly but RU is growing at a massive rate.

[CRMSN]
5,953 posts
4,333 battles
Just now, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

You all seem to be forgetting that other servers are growing at incredibly fast rates. NA is growing slowly but RU is growing at a massive rate.

Is it? I thought there was a huge amount of attrition on that server. 

Last time i looked I saw a 10k difference between a year. In the negative. I can't view the RU site cause its in russia its proxied .

[CHASE]
2,947 posts
11,440 battles
Just now, Cobraclutch said:

Is it? I thought there was a huge amount of attrition on that server. 

Last time i looked I saw a 10k difference between a year. In the negative. I can't view the RU site cause its in russia its proxied .

This year it has been growing

[WOLF7]
Members
12,238 posts
4 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Where are you getting your information from????:Smile_amazed:

I'm confused about what you think is growth, dropping from a peak of 46k, to 18k?

HvYL1aB.png

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 1

Members
2,229 posts
11,345 battles
12 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

If there were a huge market for this style of game, wouldn't some of the giants be looking for a slice of the pie?

You do not need turn-based and more complex RTS games to attract those players.  Those players are here and in large number.  You can disagree if you want, but it won't change the reality that they are in fact here.  Just look at the response strongholds got from the player base in WoT.  It was met with overwhelming positivity. And many people are excited about the proposed port upgrades someone posted earlier last week that are being tossed around.  The concept is simple.  More content, as long as it's not implemented poorly, is more often going to be a benefit in maintaining player interest in a game with a very diverse player base.  It doesn't matter if your specific play style doesn't identify with it because you're not going to care if it's there or not.  Just like how I don't care if the training room mode is here or not, but others do and they use it extensively, good for them.  Or how I don't care if the CV tasks I can't do (because I don't have a high enough tier CV) are there or not because I have other tasks I can do repeatedly to still move to the next mission.  Others will enjoy doing those CV missions and collect those specific rewards and that's wonderful for them.

Members
268 posts
498 battles
57 minutes ago, FratStar4Life said:

I think the game is doing fine and the upcoming Clan Wars will remedy the lack of Team Battles.  I do notice that many complaining in this thread tend to play the forums more than the game... :cap_popcorn:

Wow, you're almost as deluded as the person who thinks RU server is growing....

This game never had a large hardcore base, many of them have long since left while waiting for WG to get it's act together, but you think somehow, magically Clan wars will solve everything? Seriously?

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,732 battles
18 hours ago, AraAragami said:

True as that may be, Warships has a massive churn rate and any game that's declining slowly in population while gaining so many new players has a serious problem.

If you're not growing, you're dying.

Ask Southwest Airlines about that. They're one of the slowest major airline in terms of expansion speed but they've never had an economic related lay off, and they've never closed a hub they've  expanded too. They've done this by simply only expanding once they can afford it, and their current hubs are completely stable.

Winter 2016 was a time of massive promotion. Older players returned for the fresh rewards, and people left and came naturally again after.

WoWs has been fairly steady over the years as a whole with highs and lows, but mostly stability.

Members
1,866 posts
19 hours ago, NotSynpax said:

When I started playing a year and a half ago, a family member introduced me not just to the game but to a clan. Every night they'd have run team battles with a deep bench, rotating people in and out, and we'd often have enough to field two teams (14 players or more). It was a lot of fun and very intense, especially when we faced off against each other. 

My best moments in video gaming (and I'm nearing forty) all happened in WoWs team battles when I, three times, led my team to victory against a team of fellow clanmates. 

However, since team battles have been removed, everyone moved onto something else. We still hang out in channel together but they're playing stuff like Arc. Hearts of Iron, Empyerion, etc. Sometimes a few of them jump into ships, but I'm the only one who plays it regularly like we use to. And when the others jump in, they often quit soon after in frustration at the poor gameplay in randoms. 

So think about that: at least fourteen people here with team battles. Now just one without. 

That's really what's killing this game. You can say there isn't a player population for team battles - but it's the other way around. Team battles are what get you strapped in day after day. And, yes, there are some outside organized leagues, but none of them have the ease of play of the built in team battles --- it isn't even close. It was such fun to grab five of your best buds and a couple mercs and go to battle while trash talking on Team Speak. 

We don't have Team Battles per se, but you can do any teams you like in Training Room mode.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,211 posts
3,895 battles
5 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Ask Southwest Airlines about that. They're one of the slowest major airline in terms of expansion speed but they've never had an economic related lay off, and they've never closed a hub they've  expanded too. They've done this by simply only expanding once they can afford it, and their current hubs are completely stable.

Winter 2016 was a time of massive promotion. Older players returned for the fresh rewards, and people left and came naturally again after.

WoWs has been fairly steady over the years as a whole with highs and lows, but mostly stability.

I'm not interested in comparing an airline to a video game. Air travel will always be necessary. Video games will always be an unnecessary luxury item.

They're not comparable in the least.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,238 posts
9 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

That has to be the worst analogy ever. Comparing a business to a game.

Only if you live in fantasy land.....Perhaps you might want to do some actual research, and work from facts?

How exactly is the Asia server dropping 60% from it's peak numbers, stability?

RU and EU are down 50%.... that's stability? I'd look that word up if I were you. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin

[WOLF7]
Members
12,238 posts
2 minutes ago, Beornotns said:

This does not support the "game is dying" argument.

~B

Try looking at the other servers....

[SPTR]
Members
128 posts
4,637 battles

WoWs is located within two niche interests:

First is the historical aspect, and in my estimation appealing to WW2 naval history buffs is always going to be narrow.

Second is the gameplay, which is a slowish MOBA-third person shooter hybrid (distilled down to the basic essence).

It is starting with two relatively narrow aspects to garner appeal on, so I would never expect a very large population.

As Skpstr pointed out WG could focus very heavily on the gameplay (e.g. make it even more actiony) but that would both likely alienate much of the current player base and it would lack the clear "hook" to make it stand out from more action oriented MOBA style games.

OTOH they could focus on the historical part, which would tank the game so fast (as compaired to battle length which would be hours per match out of necessity).

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

Try looking at the other servers....

Well, in about a thousand years we could have some trouble.

[HEROS]
Members
1,733 posts
15,122 battles
18 hours ago, NotSynpax said:

When I started playing a year and a half ago, a family member introduced me not just to the game but to a clan. Every night they'd have run team battles with a deep bench, rotating people in and out, and we'd often have enough to field two teams (14 players or more). It was a lot of fun and very intense, especially when we faced off against each other. 

My best moments in video gaming (and I'm nearing forty) all happened in WoWs team battles when I, three times, led my team to victory against a team of fellow clanmates. 

However, since team battles have been removed, everyone moved onto something else. We still hang out in channel together but they're playing stuff like Arc. Hearts of Iron, Empyerion, etc. Sometimes a few of them jump into ships, but I'm the only one who plays it regularly like we use to. And when the others jump in, they often quit soon after in frustration at the poor gameplay in randoms. 

So think about that: at least fourteen people here with team battles. Now just one without. 

That's really what's killing this game. You can say there isn't a player population for team battles - but it's the other way around. Team battles are what get you strapped in day after day. And, yes, there are some outside organized leagues, but none of them have the ease of play of the built in team battles --- it isn't even close. It was such fun to grab five of your best buds and a couple mercs and go to battle while trash talking on Team Speak. 

your rather premature on your judgement of the game.

Is your cup half full, or half empty.  Mines half full.. Significantly more then half full when you get down to the brass tacks.  I'm glad there are players better then I am.  Smarter then I am.  Cleverer then I am.  because they challenge me to be better then "I" am.  

John F. Kennedy said it best at the start of the Moon program..  

We choose to go to the Moon! ... We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win.

Well, this isn't quite up to the level of putting a man on the moon (which is still not an easy thing to do!)  But the internal mental and emotional  process of we as people is the same.   Don't be concerned with he "heath" of the game.. it's a distraction that gets in the way of YOUR excellence at it.   Your the only one you have any real measure of control over.. everything and everyone else you have at best influence.  At different levels but still ONLY influence.  Anyone tells you different is just another snake oil salesman look to con you out of what THEY think is valuable.   And the best cons of all, are the poeple who con themselves.  

As for the game.. Clan wars are a little closer then they were 6 months ago.. we should have have something in play, in game at this rate by the end of the year.  The company reps have pretty much laid it on the line that the dev team is committed to making this happen THIS year.

It won't be perfect and some player will hate and despise it just because it won't be what they think it should be.

I've been here since launch pretty much have over 7k battles on the US server alone..and a win loss ratio that should be better, but it's not.

But then I don't play for my statistical score card.  And I am a much better and more dangerous player then my stats would leave one to believe.  Speaking of.. it's time to get out of the forums and go in game and get to humiliating tier X players in my Tier VIII ship.. always great fun when I can pull it off!

Warlord sends

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,211 posts
3,895 battles

Clanmates who play on RU have informed me that unless you are playing Co-op or tiers 9-10, you will be waiting in queue for 10+ minutes for a match.

CCl6Ot7.png

Steady decline since OBT on the RU server, as well. Attrition is definitely higher than gains in the home server.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,238 posts
16 minutes ago, Elegant_Winter said:

Well, in about a thousand years we could have some trouble.

I've never said the game is dying.

But it's not growing either. Based on all the other servers, and remembering that NA was the red headed stepchild for a good reason (We never saw the kind of numbers that the other servers generated), it's struggling.

The sad fact is, unless WG wakes up, and recognizes they need to actually work on the game, rather than continue to pump out ships, this game has seen it's best days already.

I believe that the game will hang on for many years, but hanging on doesn't mean anything good for the player base, unless you're looking forward to sitting in queue a lot...

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles
20 hours ago, NotSynpax said:

Team battles were removed because /most/ people hated them.  WG got huge amounts of negative feedback.  I wouldnt expect to see them again soon.  Clanwars on the other hand are coming sooner rather than later.

Members
24,058 posts
6,042 battles
5 hours ago, VGLance said:

You do not need turn-based and more complex RTS games to attract those players.  Those players are here and in large number.  You can disagree if you want, but it won't change the reality that they are in fact here.  

I'm not disagreeing that they're here, but large is a relative term.

On any given night in North America, how many people are playing this? How many of those are the strategising types you speak of?

Now how many do you think are playing HoI 3 or 4, as an example?

Hardcore strategy people aren't playing this game, except maybe to relax, because there isn't a meaty enough strategy element. Twitch gamers aren't playing this, because their reflexes don't pay dividends.

The players you speak of are looking for a hybrid experience, one that supplies instant gratification, (you shoot things and they blow up) as well as rewards using your noggin.

Again, if there were that big of a market for this type of gaming, we would be comparing WoWS with an EA or Blizzard title, not with another Russian or a Chinese company.

Other than that, I agree with you.

• Cool 1

Members
2,229 posts
11,345 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

I'm not disagreeing that they're here, but large is a relative term.

On any given night in North America, how many people are playing this? How many of those are the strategising types you speak of?

Now how many do you think are playing HoI 3 or 4, as an example?

Hardcore strategy people aren't playing this game, except maybe to relax, because there isn't a meaty enough strategy element. Twitch gamers aren't playing this, because their reflexes don't pay dividends.

The players you speak of are looking for a hybrid experience, one that supplies instant gratification, (you shoot things and they blow up) as well as rewards using your noggin.

Again, if there were that big of a market for this type of gaming, we would be comparing WoWS with an EA or Blizzard title, not with another Russian or a Chinese company.

Other than that, I agree with you.

Hardcore strategy people are not solely what I'm talking about.  The feedback is overwhelming from players of various play styles that like to see that content if given the option.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,211 posts
3,895 battles
4 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Team battles were removed because /most/ people hated them.  WG got huge amounts of negative feedback.  I wouldnt expect to see them again soon.  Clanwars on the other hand are coming sooner rather than later.

Using the exact same model as team battles, apparently.