You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NotSynpax

The real reason for the WoWs decline

158 comments in this topic

[TNG-D]
Members
107 posts
815 battles

When I started playing a year and a half ago, a family member introduced me not just to the game but to a clan. Every night they'd have run team battles with a deep bench, rotating people in and out, and we'd often have enough to field two teams (14 players or more). It was a lot of fun and very intense, especially when we faced off against each other. 

My best moments in video gaming (and I'm nearing forty) all happened in WoWs team battles when I, three times, led my team to victory against a team of fellow clanmates. 

However, since team battles have been removed, everyone moved onto something else. We still hang out in channel together but they're playing stuff like Arc. Hearts of Iron, Empyerion, etc. Sometimes a few of them jump into ships, but I'm the only one who plays it regularly like we use to. And when the others jump in, they often quit soon after in frustration at the poor gameplay in randoms. 

So think about that: at least fourteen people here with team battles. Now just one without. 

That's really what's killing this game. You can say there isn't a player population for team battles - but it's the other way around. Team battles are what get you strapped in day after day. And, yes, there are some outside organized leagues, but none of them have the ease of play of the built in team battles --- it isn't even close. It was such fun to grab five of your best buds and a couple mercs and go to battle while trash talking on Team Speak. 

• Cool 1

[NGUNS]
Beta Testers
524 posts
3,011 battles

The game is dying?  News to me.

And if you've been paying any attention, clan battles are going to be what the team battles started.

• Cool 5

[HINON]
Supertester
3,924 posts
5,163 battles

Team Battles was a colossal failure, and is in no way a reason for the game's supposed "decline" (which doesn't exist.)

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
1 minute ago, Nuk_ said:

Team Battles was a colossal failure, and is in no way a reason for the game's supposed "decline" (which doesn't exist.)

Hilariously they appear to be bringing team battles back as clan battles.

It's nearly exactly the same.

[TNG-D]
Members
107 posts
815 battles
1 minute ago, Nuk_ said:

Yeah, I just made up all the people I played with quitting when it stopped. Me and my crazy imagination. 

3 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

The game is dying?  News to me.

https://stats.wotapi.ru/stats/wows/na/total

[RUST]
Members
860 posts
7,842 battles
7 minutes ago, NotSynpax said:

Yeah, I just made up all the people I played with quitting when it stopped. Me and my crazy imagination.

https://stats.wotapi.ru/stats/wows/na/total

Anecdotal evidence is evidence of anecdotes.   Having friends leave games and making new friends is a pretty constant theme in any MMO throughout the last 20 years.  Every game has a high turnover rate.

August 2017 has more players than August 2016, January 2017 had more players than January 2016.  I don't think your stats show what you think they show.

Edited by LordBenjamin
  • Cool 6

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,092 posts
9,212 battles

What is this "decline" you speak of? :Smile_amazed:

[TNG-D]
Members
107 posts
815 battles
1 minute ago, LordBenjamin said:

Anecdotal evidence is evidence of anecdotes.   Having friends leave games and making new friends is a pretty constant theme in any MMO throughout the last 20 years.  Every game has a high turnover rate.

August 2017 has more players than August 2016, January 2017 had more players than January 2016.  I don't think your stats show what you think they show.

Your comment attempting to dismiss my anecdote is irrelevant. These are customers leaving a business for a reason. 

The numbers show a decline since January that has not been arrested. 

Where you the guy at WG who approved the release of the G. Zep and then fired iChase? Or are you just another sucker defending a corporation out of self-loathing? 

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles
3 minutes ago, LordBenjamin said:

shhh. the 'sky is falling' mob doesn't care about your actualities.

proof is still proof, even if it's confirmation bias! it's the end, i tells ya! but here are these things i want done that can 'save' the game...

• Cool 2

[RUST]
Members
860 posts
7,842 battles
4 minutes ago, NotSynpax said:

Your comment attempting to dismiss my anecdote is irrelevant. These are customers leaving a business for a reason. 

Where you the guy at WG who approved the release of the G. Zep and then fired iChase? Or are you just another sucker defending a corporation out of self-loathing? 

I'm not dismissing it, I'm simply pointing out it's an anecdote and not actual evidence of anything.   Bookmark my comment and check, I'll bet the population numbers trend upwards all the way from now until January 2018 when they'll begin trending down again.   

These are customers leaving a business for a reason. 

Sometimes that reason is summertime and nice weather.

Edited by LordBenjamin
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
4 minutes ago, issm said:

Like it or, players like you who value team battles are a tiny minority.

^This

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
26 minutes ago, NotSynpax said:

When I started playing a year and a half ago, a family member introduced me not just to the game but to a clan. Every night they'd have run team battles with a deep bench, rotating people in and out, and we'd often have enough to field two teams (14 players or more). It was a lot of fun and very intense, especially when we faced off against each other. 

My best moments in video gaming (and I'm nearing forty) all happened in WoWs team battles when I, three times, led my team to victory against a team of fellow clanmates. 

However, since team battles have been removed, everyone moved onto something else. We still hang out in channel together but they're playing stuff like Arc. Hearts of Iron, Empyerion, etc. Sometimes a few of them jump into ships, but I'm the only one who plays it regularly like we use to. And when the others jump in, they often quit soon after in frustration at the poor gameplay in randoms. 

So think about that: at least fourteen people here with team battles. Now just one without. 

That's really what's killing this game. You can say there isn't a player population for team battles - but it's the other way around. Team battles are what get you strapped in day after day. And, yes, there are some outside organized leagues, but none of them have the ease of play of the built in team battles --- it isn't even close. It was such fun to grab five of your best buds and a couple mercs and go to battle while trash talking on Team Speak. 

I found team battles boring as all (bleep).  It was the same ships battle after boring battle.  The positive of team play was greatly outweighed by the utter boredom of playing the same ships battle after battle after battle after freakin' battle.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,056 posts
7,611 battles
5 minutes ago, NotSynpax said:

Yes, but you also failed to mention all of the people that joined as you were leaving.  Year upon year, World of Warships has remained stable with the highest population peak so far over the Winter of 2016.

• Cool 3

[RUST]
Members
860 posts
7,842 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

I found team battles boring as all (bleep).  It was the same ships battle after boring battle.  The positive of team play was greatly outweighed by the utter boredom of playing the same ships battle after battle after battle after freakin' battle.

With very weak rewards in terms of XP/credits/flags too.  

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yes, but you also failed to mention all of the people that joined as you were leaving.  Year upon year, World of Warships has remained stable with the highest population peak so far over the Winter of 2016.

True as that may be, Warships has a massive churn rate and any game that's declining slowly in population while gaining so many new players has a serious problem.

If you're not growing, you're dying.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles

The problem with Team Battles wasn't so much the idea of teams battling, so much as it was that it was constructed like some sort of little tournament with rankings, etc.  "Team Battles" would be so much better if it was more like the old Tank Companies in World of Tanks, where there it was possible to form teams at tiers 4, 6, 8, or 10.  And teams were built sort of on the fly, not semi-permanent things.  And you fought any team that was in the queue at the same time for the same tier of tank company.  From my own experience in TC's, companies at tier 6 tended to be the most popular.

And due to their more open nature, tank companies were a nice way to check out potential new recruits to a clan, to see how they got along with other people and how good they were at taking and following orders in a team setting.

[RUST]
Members
860 posts
7,842 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

True as that may be, Warships has a massive churn rate and any game that's declining slowly in population while gaining so many new players has a serious problem.

You can't compare winter to summer.   You have to compare it with equivalent times from previous years.  

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles
Just now, LordBenjamin said:

You can't compare winter to summer.   You have to compare it with equivalent times from previous years.  

More people on on the week ends now than ever.

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,556 battles
14 minutes ago, NotSynpax said:

Let me guess, you think Jesus was real too.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
2 minutes ago, LordBenjamin said:

And last I checked the population was lower this summer than last summer at around the same time.

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
9 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

:Smile_great:

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,324 battles
33 minutes ago, NotSynpax said:

28 or so people quitting and hundreds of people each week joining....
Yeah what a shame....

[PLPT]
Members
588 posts
6,503 battles
47 minutes ago, NotSynpax said:

You can say there isn't a player population for team battles - but it's the other way around. Team battles are what get you strapped in day after day. And, yes, there are some outside organized leagues, but none of them have the ease of play of the built in team battles --- it isn't even close. It was such fun to grab five of your best buds and a couple mercs and go to battle while trash talking on Team Speak.

I bought a prem ship and suddenly get a feedback survey from WoWS. I said exactly this!  Without Ranked or Teams, we are left with nothing but Randoms (bots do not count!)

Edited by n00bot