You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mophead90

American or Japanese Carriers

18 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
1,028 battles

Hey guys,

I'm still new to the game but I absolutely love playing CVs. But I'm not really sure which way I should go, but the US or Japanese lines. Any suggestions? They both seem to have their pluses and minuses at the lower tiers so I'm not sure which way to go. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,438 posts
6,631 battles

Explore both at least up to tVII, keep your options open as CVs are work in progress, while you can better appreciate the pros and cons of each style of play. If you are determined to press on to tviii-tx, majority opinion says IJN. If you a bloodyminded contrarian go USN. 

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

IJN

• Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
580 posts
5,190 battles

The IJN line is considered superior in almost every respect.

It should be said that the USN CVs are more forgiving of mistakes, but more important than that is that you learn to strafe early on. Strafing and manual drop are unlocked at tier 6, and these are the core mechanics of the class. IJN CVs provide more opportunity to practice due to the higher number of squadrons requiring more manual drops, the increased reliance on accurate manual drops due to the less dense torpedo spread, and increased tactical possibilities of having two fighter squadrons.

Before you start playing at tier 6 I strongly recommend that you look at guides to teach you how strafing works, especially when using multiple squadrons. It is important that you do not just learn the controls, but also the tactics and maneuvers that this mechanic allows.

So yea, IJN all the way.

Members
609 posts
7,239 battles

^
Holy crap! your profile scared me.

Aside from the above, I say IJN

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

USN is the dot stacking queens after tier 6. However the flexibility of the IJN makes me recommend them to anyone looking to get into carriers as you can learn to dot stack with them and if you like it jump over to the USN and watch the world burn. 

[SXXKT]
Members
49 posts
3,699 battles

I have the Midway, not the Hakuryu yet (just got Taiho).

The balance is beyond awful for Midway, ie you have 5 squadrons vs 8 on the Hak.  IJN carrier can go AS and still have 2 TB 2 DB to get kills with, meanwhile having 4 squadrons of 20 total fighters to keep you shut down.  If you are AS, yes you can get 3 with 21 aircraft up to counter, but at that point you only have 1 TB and 1 DB squadron so your net contribution in damage becomes negligible because at that tier you need a lot of planes to get close enough to land any meaningful strike.

I recall when the game was new, Midway was feared.  Not really anymore.  Hakuryu however is far better balanced.

[PROT]
Members
1 post
3,195 battles

I'm up to VIII with USN, the most versatile load out on the USN is a joke, you get one TB one DB and one Fighter. Going against tier 8 cruisers and battleships and above is difficult at best because the AA blows your planes out of the sky, and you only have 2 squads to do damage. Your one squad of fighters get owned by a AS USN carrier or a Jap carrier.

You can go strike mode for some real damage but if you have enemy fighters on your planes will down in flames with no defense. Japanese is the only viable option these days.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles
1 hour ago, Deputy_Derp said:

I'm up to VIII with USN, the most versatile load out on the USN is a joke, you get one TB one DB and one Fighter. Going against tier 8 cruisers and battleships and above is difficult at best because the AA blows your planes out of the sky, and you only have 2 squads to do damage. Your one squad of fighters get owned by a AS USN carrier or a Jap carrier.

You can go strike mode for some real damage but if you have enemy fighters on your planes will down in flames with no defense. Japanese is the only viable option these days.

Strike is viable if you learn how to manage it. Not easy but the results can provide for some amusing stories. Either way I'm going to stand by my USN CV not for noobs from earlier. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts

Let's see ... currently, here are the advantages of each side:

USN:

- Very strong fighters with a ton of ammo.

- Strong AA, although balanced out by the fact that IJN CV Defensive Fire is better than the the USN one.

- HE dive bombers with amazing damage (but more inaccurate than IJN) 

IJN:

- Better balanced loadouts.

- More reliable damage from manual drops from torpedoes and dive bombers

- Up to three torp bomber squads at a time (USN only ever gets one)

- Faster planes and faster carrier

- Planes reload faster

- Better concealment

- Better armor

- Better secondaries

- More squads hence better map control and spotting

Am I missing anything? Seems pretty obvious which side is better barring the notable exception that is the Saipan.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Am I missing anything? Seems pretty obvious which side is better barring the notable exception that is the Saipan.

The USN 1000lb HE bombs at higher tier have 162% fire chance on hit. Which if you do the math means a minimum 69% fire chance on target. The 500lbs have a fire chance of 141% for a minimum fire on it of 60%. When compaired to the piddly 123% of the IJN bombers which at worse have a 52% fire chance on hit. Kaga's bombers BTW only have a 108% fire chance so also a minimum of 52% but that is against a tier 9 instead of a tier 10. Doing the math a Kaga bomb only has a 46% chance to light fire against a tier 10. All math is done with DC1 and Fire Prevention to give a worst case. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts
13 minutes ago, Grathew said:

The USN 1000lb HE bombs at higher tier have 162% fire chance on hit. Which if you do the math means a minimum 69% fire chance on target. The 500lbs have a fire chance of 141% for a minimum fire on it of 60%. When compaired to the piddly 123% of the IJN bombers which at worse have a 52% fire chance on hit. Kaga's bombers BTW only have a 108% fire chance so also a minimum of 52% but that is against a tier 9 instead of a tier 10. Doing the math a Kaga bomb only has a 46% chance to light fire against a tier 10. All math is done with DC1 and Fire Prevention to give a worst case. 

IJN dive bombers also have a much tighter drop circle than USN dive bombers, meaning more bombs actually hit the target and contribute to that fire chance.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles
Just now, KaptainKaybe said:

IJN dive bombers also have a much tighter drop circle than USN dive bombers, meaning more bombs actually hit the target and contribute to that fire chance.

USN have more bombs so it's still a relevant difference. I think if you calculate out the average bomb a square meter USN comes out on top, I haven't calculated it yet but I don't think an extra few meters cancels out two extra bombers 

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts
8 minutes ago, Grathew said:

USN have more bombs so it's still a relevant difference. I think if you calculate out the average bomb a square meter USN comes out on top, I haven't calculated it yet but I don't think an extra few meters cancels out two extra bombers 

True, but those extra bombers are then used by the IJN for their TBs or fighters. Although the USN 1000lbs bombs that DO hit hit like trucks. But in the end there's no current scenario where USN have any real advantage right now. 

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

Well seeing as the USN has 3 squads of basically fire starters starting at Ranger. Plus a torpedo bomber to either get damage and floods or screen fighter/AA coverage, which is how I use it by the way, means that if you want to deal a massive amount of damage the USN strike is the only way to go. Sure IJN has more torpedo bombers by 2 until Taiho and Hakuryu where you get an extra 6, if we exclude Kaga who gets an extra 6 at tier 7 which is a bit OP IMO, both the torpedo bombers and dive bombers have just enough chance to flood/fire to make specking into it worth it, but just low enough for it to not be certain no matter what you do. Where as dropping 14 american dive bombs on a target will get your target burning in at least 2 places and if you land three or more torpedoes of your six you will have a flood on the target. So put your torpedo bombers and a dive into a wave send them to force the DC with the flood/multiple fires. Wait out the DC send in wave two and watch the ship burn down with no way to respond. Plus now that 6.10 dropped you get to watch that beautiful fire slowly bleed that battleship dry. Now if they don't DC your first fire/flood combo then just wait until they die, cause they will. The only counter is a good fighter coverage but I don't see many carriers who have spent the time in effort to see the likely targets and get their fighters into a good covering position. Those who do often only focus on one side or group of ships leaving the others ripe for exploitation. When the carrier realizes you aren't bombing the group they were covering and covers the one you are currently working on switch sides. It's honestly the reason why I do so well in Lexington. 

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,438 posts
6,631 battles
On 31/08/2017 at 7:46 AM, StoneRhino said:

And Enterprise for AP fun.

On sale in a week's time.