Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Xenostryker

Original Graf Zeppelin owner suggestion thread

13 comments in this topic

[UDEAD]
Supertester
417 posts
12,103 battles

Hey Guys,

I know that their are not going to be alot of us original owners, but seeing as how we are going to eventually be engaged for our opinion on the ship and suggested reworks, I figured we could make it easy on the Devs and put it all in one spot.

So... I guess Ill get it started....

If you want to give the GZ some "Flavour" my suggestions are as follows.

Retool load out to the following:
-2 Squadrons of Fighters buffed for HP slightly above the USN (as durability is very German in this game), plus one plane with no increase in the DPS from current
-1 Squadron of HE bomber with the same drop circle with durability brought to USN standard and remaining stats as is
-1 Squadron of AP bomber with the same drop elipse and the 9 seconds drop delay adjusted to standard drop delay or at least brought to that of Enterprise. Durability of the planes brought to USN standard and remaining stats as is
-1 Squadron of Standard Torpedoes with low flood chance as before with a unique pattern from with similar stats to that of the Dive Bombers
-1 Squadron of Special Torpedoes with the same pattern as above and a very high flood chance (AP at standard speed or Heavy hitting but very slow [Think USS Black]) with similar stats to that of the Dive Bombers
--------------------------------------------
-6 Total squadrons

-Increase the Secondary range to 10.0 with an enhanced German accuracy buff.

The large variety of planes on board will force a unique but manageable play style where a specific squadron will need the be use in the correct way and on the corrects ships to achieve maximum results. For example:

-The Fighters would nominally be more durable than their USN counter parts but output low DPS, effectively offsetting each other.

-The AP Bombs would be effective against BB's, CV's and the Heaviest CA's while being useless against DD's and other CL's but, at 5 planes in the squadron, you wouldn't have enough bombs to "alpha delete" a ship outright without a highly unlikely set of critical hits (citadels)

-The HE Bombs would be effective against all ships but you only have one squadron so you would have to be coordinated with the right type of Torp strike or otherwise at the right time to get the DoT from fires after the alpha damage

-The Standard torpedoes would be effective against all classes but heavily subject to torpedo belts with an average change of penetration and flooding

-The Special Torpedoes, the "Deep Dive" as has been suggested, I have envisioned to be nominally travelling slower and be completely ineffective against DD's and CL's and All but the heaviest CA's (Effective only effective at a 50% reduction in damage/penetration chance to Moskva, DM Donskoi, Chapayev, Kutuzov, Des Moines, Baltimore, New Orleans, Zao, Ibuki, Mogami, Atago, Takao Hindenberg, Roon, Prinz Eugen, Hipper, Charles Martel, St. Louis, Henri IV ). I also envision them with an average manual drop distance, similar to that of Shokaku, but would have a 90% chance of penetration on BB's, as they would bypass the torpedo belt, very heavy maximum damage around 15000 HP per torpedo and a low chance to effectively citadel the BB with a torpedo. That being said, with 5 Bombers in a squadron, and likely only 3 to four hits per salvo (best case) you still would not have the ability to "alpha delete" a BB without a very well placed shot and critical hit rolls.

It will also make the GZ less of a damage over time based ship (as standard CV's are) and more of coordinated alpha damage unit, when used against the correct ships, while not being able to completely smash anyone ship type if the planes are used incorrectly.

I also believe, if implemented and balanced well, this configuration will also give GZ a unique type of versatility (another seemingly German trait in this game) as it will be effective to some degree against all ship classes while not a master and hammering on any. This will, potentially, decrease the overall damage output for the ship.

The Secondaries going out to 10.0 with an enhanced German accuracy buffs will make DD's more cautious of hunting the GZ and more tactical and considered in their approach to score the kill (as opposed to GZ being a "freebie kill" simply because it got caught) and serve to offset some of the lost damage from the highly variable load out to a degree,. The 10.0 km enhanced secondaries will also giving the GZ the potential to have a more emboldened or forward game play style and perhaps maybe even engaging in a more active defense of back of fleet cap points.

Thanks for listening

-Xeno

Edited by Xenostryker

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
175 posts
2,456 battles

I would like to see the fighters get a buff. (Not an expert, but I see they just get owned.)

I think its neat to have a CV that specializes in bombers. I could care less about having a TB squadron.

It would be nice to have perhaps a 2-0-4 (With the 4 being 2 HE and 2 AP bombers) This would give me some versatility in what targets to go after. That way I could send 2 after DD/CL and 2 after BB's.

I personally havent used the AP option yet. (Will try that tonight) but if the animation is a bad and leads to them getting wasted quickly then that needs to change.

I dont see using her for her Main guns as the primary function, I look at them as I'm not useless in the event that I get surprised or am out of planes.

Apologies for not having more "in depth" answers, I'm a very casual player and dont know the mechanics as in depth as many other do. I like the ship and am keeping her.

Beta Testers
14 posts
1,956 battles

Hello,

Although I don't have the Graf Zeppelin ship, but was about to purchase 30 mins after it was being taken down(Got the Saipan instead). I just wanted put an idea out there of something I'm sure people would love to see on the re-release (Stuka Sirens) .

Stuka Dive Bombers

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,885 battles
Just now, gixicoN said:

Hello,

Although I don't have the Graf Zeppelin ship, but was about to purchase 30 mins after it was being taken down(Got the Saipan instead). I just wanted put an idea out there of something I'm sure people would love to see on the re-release.

Stuka Dive Bombers

Umm, it has Stuka Dive Bombers.  3 squadrons of them

Beta Testers
14 posts
1,956 battles
5 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Umm, it has Stuka Dive Bombers.  3 squadrons of them

Did they have the actual Stuka Siren audio to them?

Beta Testers
14 posts
1,956 battles
Just now, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

No sirens that I noticed

Ah, yeah well that was just an idea I think would be cool since they were unique during the war.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

My 'fix' to Graf Zeppelin would be as follows 

• lesson the AP delay from 8 or 9 seconds to 5 or 6
  • have both AP and HE bombs available to all thee dive bomber squads in the port so we can choose our distribution between the two
  • make the early buyer stukas have sirens 
  • buff the fighters to a more usable level

[KRK]
Members
1,076 posts
13,875 battles

First of all, you could leave the ship as is and just drop it a tier; pretty much not kidding. But, if it is to remain at tier VIII: 

The fighters need more durability, they are basically tissue paper at present. Their ammunition expenditure in an initial engagement is often sufficient to make it wise to land them to rearm. 

Give it a TB squadron of Fi 167's at the expense of a squad of Stukas. 

The AP delay is madness. 

I like the idea of sirens as a perk for us crazy wehraboos who bought the thing. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,489 posts
6,657 battles

This the result of a recent match, HE loadout. Opposing team's CV was a Lexington. 

shot-17_08.29_01_07.46-0556.thumb.jpg.133cbd7e5b25fcfa108d8ffecc9103a4.jpg

the 2+3 combination of fighters plus HE dive bombers does not need changing, removing a db or nerfing the current HE dispersion or damage would only nerf a more than capable CV for tier 8 to 10 MM random battles. The DBs are sufficiently durable if targets are chosen wisely and approached sensibly (don't send your bombers into a cluster of 3 AA strong cruisers,).  I lose very few DBs to AA. But yes, there is a problem, with the fighters. They need a major overhaul. But the basic premise of the Graf Zeppelin as it is now, is to rain balls of fire. And it does that superbly.

The current in game range of secondaries is insufficient, and is very much in need of extended range, at least back to 7.5 km. (Wiki claims secondaries are 7.5km, but in game I see 6.6km with my Captain skills). AA at only 4.5 km stock is also very poor.

As for making it less of a damage over time and more of an alpha strike, the DBs with HE give you both high alpha and high dot values, especially when applied to big slow targets/ Why nerf one apsect of theGraf Zeppelin which is working perfectly?

In summary, hands off/

Sign in to follow this