You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Is Yorck fun or just something to grind through?

38 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,184 battles

York is fun now. Once it was pretty bad but got buffed. Excellent way to break into how the higher tier CA's play.

Skip modules don't skip ships.

[ECOM]
Members
494 posts
11,015 battles

It's a HE spammer. The AP shells float too long to be terribly effective. I'd grind through it and save your free exp for something later.

[DRHS]
Beta Testers
42 posts
3,694 battles

Right now, i'm going through the Yorck it's an okay ship really Tough in the sense of hard to kill. Her guns are decent and good for crusier killing, and can even give BBs something to think about. Speed's okay, and manuverbility follows suit. If you spec her for AA she'll be able to tear apart squadrons.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

The Yorch was a blast and scenes you love the Prinz eugen you will love this ship just forget you have AP at any range more than 8ish Km

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles

One of the few ships that has different trajectories for it's HE and AP shells. Keep that in mind.

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Be glad youre doing it now. The Yorck pre buff was... well... not fun. Turrets that had the original warspite turret traverse. She has WW1 era cannons that are very large caliber but AP at range is a no go. HE at range, if you get within about 6-7 km of a cruiser, sling AP into him and watch him disappear. 

[ARMDG]
Members
3,242 posts
1,564 battles

Played through her pre-buff and still thought she was pretty fun.  The range is very nice, and sitting back out of the range of other cruisers and peppering BBs with HE works wonders.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles

Try it and see for yourself?

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,103 posts
18,616 battles

Okish but not really fun. HE for long range, AP for close combat. Sold mine the moment I finished her. Played a part pre buff. Her turrets were as bad as the old Furutaka ones.

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles
11 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Okish but not really fun. HE for long range, AP for close combat. Sold mine the moment I finished her. Played a part pre buff. Her turrets were as bad as the old Furutaka ones.

I agree with this and plan to dump her as well. I love cruisers, pretty much dislike this one. I was circling an Alabama at fairly close range trying to burn her down and she managed to keep her turrets on me, yet I had difficulty keeping mine on her. I would have hated to play this ship "pre buff". Not a particularly interesting ship to play and most definitely not much fun. 

[SOV]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
5,424 battles

I hated every moment I played the Yorck, found nothing fun or redeeming about it in spite of doing well with it. The Hipper, on the other hand, turned into a keeper for me. 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,136 posts

Depends on you, and what you want from a heavy cruiser.   NOT an especially good choice for those stay at max range and snipe games you see all too often these days, because the shells are floaty at max range.  Come to think of it, it's good practice for the French CA's, lol.

If you prefer to play a bit closer and mix it up, Yorck can be a lot of fun!  At med and close range, those guns hit like trucks, and the 6 km German torpedoes come in pretty handy.  I did most of my grinding of it in PVE, because I got tired of chasing the battle with floaty shells- it does much better in the closer range co-op matches.

I ended up really liking mine, and kept it for fun sailing.   But I'm definitely a fan of heavy cruisers.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,705 posts
11,320 battles
53 minutes ago, paradat said:

Skip modules don't skip ships.

:Smile_great: Yup, this is very solid.

Spoiler

With the exception of the Izumo.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,297 battles

play it.... it is fun.... and once you get to the hindy you will forget everything you might not have liked about it.... forever..

[TF16B]
Members
8,039 posts
16,977 battles

As much as I wanted Prinz Eugen, it hasn't been that great; so doubt I'd like Hipper' which definitely means Yorck would be just as much not enjoyable to me, in all likelyhood. Having too much fun with Nurn now that the turret buff makes her a slightly tougher Konigsburg. The non-tradional turret layout of K and N has been easy for me to use. Going back to a 'normal' turret layout, and the cruddy firing arcs and 270o turret rotaion that entails in order to change enguagement sides?

No thanks.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
310 posts
11,615 battles

The Yorck is a unique ship of her tier. In fact, it's a unique ship over all in the game. It has 210mm guns that fire WW1 shells. Good HP, decent AA, amazing Hydro, very small for a ship with that caliber of MM guns and IMO, the most aesthetically pleasing premium camo in the game. No other cruiser has bigger guns then the Yorck other then Moskva(T10), the Henri(t10) and Graf Spee (T6). It has 4 x 3  6km torps and fires at a max of 17.3km away. but slow velocity. Although if you are lucky its possible to cit even a Fuso from like 15 km away (I've seen it done).

The Yorck is a well balanced ship that can be specd for any play style you want. It is a ship that I've decided to keep and enjoy it. I think that most people probably don't like it, but w/e.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,518 posts
24,548 battles

I hated the Yorck and had enough Free XP after 1/3 of the grind.  Too many good Tier 7 cruisers. OTOH I learned to use Izumo and didn't mind the second half of the grind to Yamato too much. 

In general, the philosophy of using Free XP to skip A-hulls, crap torps, short range, etc. but grinding the ships makes sense to me. 

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,251 posts
24,681 battles

I found the Yorck to be ok.  Not a keeper.  I'm currently on the Hipper which I like and going to keep.

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles

It's not a bad ship.  If you sit back and hurl HE, you can do considerable damage.  Because you're a T7, you have some advantages in terms of matchmaking (you're higher tier more than your lower tier).

My problem with the ship (and problem with cruisers in general) is that you really can't carry in it.  It's not tough enough to pull off any kind of a push, and while it can do some OK damage, it doesn't do great damage.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,103 posts
18,616 battles
2 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I hated the Yorck and had enough Free XP after 1/3 of the grind.  Too many good Tier 7 cruisers. OTOH I learned to use Izumo and didn't mind the second half of the grind to Yamato too much. 

In general, the philosophy of using Free XP to skip A-hulls, crap torps, short range, etc. but grinding the ships makes sense to me. 

Actually I had some fun after I played her a few matches in a row. She is like the Hipper: punish other careless cruisers and try to trap the bigger prey out there. But with all the cruiser lines: you need to change your style when you move from 6" to 8".

[TARFU]
Beta Testers
275 posts
5,648 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Doll said:

It's a HE spammer. The AP shells float too long to be terribly effective. I'd grind through it and save your free exp for something later.

Yorck's AP shells are nasty under 10K.

I love the Yorck, she is still my main Ship.

[VVV]
Members
2,396 posts

I'm of the opinion that Yorck's AP desperately needs a buff. What they suffer from is that Yorck's 210mm guns are WW1 weapons, the same used on the armored cruiser SMS Blücher (T5ish premium when?). Those guns were used into WW2 as coastal artillery and that's where the HE shell for Yorck comes from. The AP shell she gets however is the old 1905-designed shell used in WW1 because those coastal batteries fired exclusively HE and thus there was no reason to design a new AP shell. That's why Yorck's AP is so terribly floaty and shatter-prone.

If the Entwurf I/10 desgin had actually been adopted (instead Germany developed Entwurf I/26 into the Deutschland class) there' no doubt that a new AP shell would've been developed as well. So Yorck really ought to get an AP shell with the same 113.5kg weight and the same improved flight characteristics of the HE shell. She'd still be extremely squishy but at least her AP would be reliable. Since hard-hitting AP is the main flavor of German CAs it's a shame for the line to start out with a ship that's forced to be mostly an HE spammer.