You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
cgbosn4

USS HOUSTON (CL-81)

22 comments in this topic

[USCG]
Members
176 posts
12,659 battles

I'm sure we've all seen the horrible disaster the SE part of Texas is experiencing from Hurricane/Tropical Storm Harvey.  I've worked through several hurricanes in my 30 years in the Coast Guard and believe me...it's never fun.  

I'd like to throw out an idea to Wargaming as a possible fund raiser to help that area with their recovery.  I know they're currently conducting Project VALOR for Fisher House Foundation but believe this would be a pretty quick fund raising idea and not much work on their part...maybe. 

I quickly did a search to see if there's ever been a USS HOUSTON (Hey, I'm a Coastie...) and sure enough there was and it was a Cleveland Class cruiser.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland-class_cruiser

Since we already have a Cleveland in the game, perhaps Wargaming could take that ship, give her some special camo and perhaps a premium ability.  Nothing game changing but maybe enhance captain training like the PRINZ EUGEN.  Then, put her in the premium shop (at a very reasonable cost) with proceeds going to a charity to help with recovery efforts.

If not a premium ship, perhaps a flag, again with proceeds going to the recovery efforts.

Just a thought...

Semper Paratus.

Edited by cgbosn4
  • Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,088 posts
18,616 battles

If I remember it right someone made a mod for the Cleveland that she look like the USS Houston. May search for tanz shipyard in google.

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

If USS Houston ever made it into this game, it would likely be as a premium version of the Northampton class heavy cruiser, after a possible future USN CL/CA line split.

That particular Houston is much more famous.

• Cool 5

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles

I'd rather have CA-30 Houston, the one that fought so bravely at Java.  Of course, we don't have a Northampton class modeled yet...

Edited by kerensky914
Curses, ninja'd.
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
5,088 posts
18,616 battles
1 minute ago, kerensky914 said:

I'd rather have CA-30 Houston, the one that fought so bravely at Java.  Of course, we don't have a Northampton class modeled yet...

So why you want a Indianapolis with only two working turrets?

[ARGSY]
5,088 posts
18,616 battles

Was right, here is the link to the mod. Check USN cruisers. 

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

the cleaveland is moving to tier VIII when the USN CL/CA line split so mayde a unnerfed version at tier VIII with radar and stuff

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
681 posts
10,319 battles
32 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

So much this the Cleveland class Houston was named for this one after all . It's why they changed her name from Vicksburg to Houston

Edited by yamato6945

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts

CA-30 Houston had to fight all four Myoko class cruisers. :(
The ship fought well, but it was a Washington treaty cruiser. Maybe as a tier 6 it would do well in game.

[BOTES]
Members
1,895 posts
6,606 battles

Just volunteer your time or money (or both) if you want to help.

We already have Cleveland, Pensacola and Portland classes; CL Houston is just a clone and CA Houston isn't that different from neither Pensacola nor Indianapolis.

Edited by awildseaking

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles
33 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

CA-30 Houston had to fight all four Myoko class cruisers. :(
The ship fought well, but it was a Washington treaty cruiser. Maybe as a tier 6 it would do well in game.

Northampton class (CA-30 Houston) is very very close to the Portland class represented by Indianapolis in-game, with more armor but one gun less than the Pensacola class. 

Pensacola and Indianapolis are both T7 in-game which sort of awkwardly leaves Northampton at T6 even though in real life it came in between the two. 

CA Line

T6: Northampton 

T7: Pensacola

T8: New Orleans 

T9: Baltimore

T10: Des Moines

Possible premiums: Houston at T6, Wichita (one-off originally planned as a New Orleans but ended up built on an improved Brookyn hull with better secondaries) at T8

CL Line

T6: Still Northampton (I'd like to make the split point T6 instead of T7 but there is no CL to logically slot in at T6 without inventing a ship)

T7: Brooklyn

T8: Cleveland (reverting all nerfs, better secondaries/AA, consumables, and soft stats to make up for loss of one turret from Brooklyn)

T9: Fargo (basically a Cleveland with a better superstructure layout because there's nothing else)

T10: Worcester (already modeled but not used, 6x2 6" guns of a new autoloading, dual-purpose type - think American Minotaur)

Possible premiums: Little Rock at T8 (only surviving Cleveland class)

So unfortunately a US cruiser line split is not as simple as it may first appear. Tiers 6 and 9 are the problem points. Northampton is probably too strong for T6 and ideally people who want to stick with CL's would not still have to grind through her. If we didn't already have two different premium Atlanta-class members as T7 premiums I would almost be willing to suggest it as the T6 CL but that's impossible now. Meanwhile, Fargo is a repeat Cleveland in all the ways that matter in WoWs and it would take arbitrary changes to the soft stats of both to differentiate them. 

Edited by Middcore

[NUWES]
Members
1,628 posts
5,475 battles
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

I agree. That Houston was far more famous than its namesake. Modelling should be easy, it's basically the same as Indianapolis. There are some visual and functional differences but nothing extensive.

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles
1 hour ago, DeliciousFart said:

It's just a Cleveland-class cruiser.

The second Houston was a cleveland class. The original (CA-30) was the flagship of the american fleet in the asias at the outbreak of WWII. She fought with the Perth, Marblehead and a few others from the Dutch navy when Japan started hostilities. Her and the Perth were sunk at Java when they stumbled upon a landing party thinking the way was clear to head to Australia for repairs. Mogami and Minekaze were two of the ships she fought during her end.

[LSKF]
Members
94 posts
2,160 battles

I'm not technically a houstonian, but I do reside in the greater Houston area, and as much as I like this idea, I think doing something with the USS Texas may be better, considering that Corpus Christi, Houston, and everything between them was the most impacted, along with flooding in other parts of Texas.

In response to "It's just a Cleveland class", the USS Texas is also a New-York class, and the two have little difference. Even so, this is not about making a ship to change the game, it's about assisting people in Houston, and Texas, with what they're facing.

[NUWES]
Members
1,628 posts
5,475 battles
16 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Northampton class (CA-30 Houston) is very very close to the Portland class represented by Indianapolis in-game, with more armor but one gun less than the Pensacola class. 

Pensacola and Indianapolis are both T7 in-game which sort of awkwardly leaves Northampton at T6 even though in real life it came in between the two. 

CA Line

T6: Northampton 

T7: Pensacola

T8: New Orleans 

T9: Baltimore

T10: Des Moines

Possible premiums: Houston at T6, Wichita (one-off originally planned as a New Orleans but ended up built on an improved Brookyn hull with better secondaries) at T8

CL Line

T6: Still Northampton (I'd like to make the split point T6 instead of T7 but there is no CL to logically slot in at T6 without inventing a ship)

T7: Brooklyn

T8: Cleveland (reverting all nerfs, better secondaries/AA, consumables, and soft stats to make up for loss of one turret from Brooklyn)

T9: Fargo (basically a Cleveland with a better superstructure layout because there's nothing else)

T10: Worcester (already modeled but not used, 6x2 6" guns of a new autoloading, dual-purpose type - think American Minotaur)

Possible premiums: Little Rock at T8 (only surviving Cleveland class)

So unfortunately a US cruiser line split is not as simple as it may first appear. Tiers 6 and 9 are the problem points. Northampton is probably too strong for T6 and ideally people who want to stick with CL's would not still have to grind through her. Fargo is  a repeat Cleveland in all the ways that matter in WoWs and it would take arbitrary changes to the soft stats of both to differentiate them. 

I don't think Northampton works as a whole tier lower than Pensacola just because it has one fewer gun. Either they are both T7 or both T6. Capabilitywise they are basically the same. Northampton has fewer guns but the layout is actually better. Armor is similar in that it isn't that great. Agility is basically the same. It's a wash at best. The other problem with Northampton at T6 is you go from T5-Omaha (a CL), to T6 Northampton (a slower-firing CA) and then back to another CL at T7 in Brooklyn on the split branch. That's a playstyle nightmare and the Devs don't like doing that. You need a CL at T6 to smooth the playstyle changes, probably one of the design studies for Brooklyn that is a bit smaller with fewer guns. (I've never seen them, but I am sure they exist.)

[NUWES]
Members
1,628 posts
5,475 battles
1 minute ago, lskid said:

I'm not technically a houstonian, but I do reside in the greater Houston area, and as much as I like this idea, I think doing something with the USS Texas may be better, considering that Corpus Christi, Houston, and everything between them was the most impacted, along with flooding in other parts of Texas.

In response to "It's just a Cleveland class", the USS Texas is also a New-York class, and the two have little difference. Even so, this is not about making a ship to change the game, it's about assisting people in Houston, and Texas, with what they're facing.

Texas is just a New York class, but it is also preserved and is the only dreadnought battleship of its generation which is  preserved (to my knowledge). It is famous for that. I would certainly donate (especially for a premium) but that USS Houston was the least famous of the Texas-related ships to use and it doesn't drum up any nostalgia. Also, they won't do that version because, as people have pointed out, they are planning to split the American cruiser tree and Cleveland will be unnerfed and moved to T8 where it belongs. If they release a premium Cleveland class now it would be T6, and they would have to move it too and they don't like changing premiums. If they do something it will most likely be with Texas since they have it already. Otherwise modifying Indianapolis' model to represent USS Houston (CA-30) would be next most likely. Here's Houston:

Spoiler

ca30-2.jpg

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles
16 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I don't think Northampton works as a whole tier lower than Pensacola just because it has one fewer gun. Either they are both T7 or both T6. Capabilitywise they are basically the same. Northampton has fewer guns but the layout is actually better. Armor is similar in that it isn't that great. Agility is basically the same. It's a wash at best. The other problem with Northampton at T6 is you go from T5-Omaha (a CL), to T6 Northampton (a slower-firing CA) and then back to another CL at T7 in Brooklyn on the split branch. That's a playstyle nightmare and the Devs don't like doing that. You need a CL at T6 to smooth the playstyle changes, probably one of the design studies for Brooklyn that is a bit smaller with fewer guns. (I've never seen them, but I am sure they exist.)

I fully agree with you on all of the problems with Northampton at T6, I tried to make it clear in my post. Needing a T6 paper CL -and- a T6 paper CA is just discouraging, though. I am sure there were other design concepts considered before the building of Pensacola and Brooklyn but I don't know if they've survived or are at all available today... I also don't recall ever seeing any.

Edited by Middcore

[ARGSY]
5,088 posts
18,616 battles

Serious: I don't see the need for another Cleveland or (kind of) Indianapolis clone as premium. I would rather see the USS Helena as a premium. 

[NGUNS]
Beta Testers
513 posts
2,984 battles
26 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Serious: I don't see the need for another Cleveland or (kind of) Indianapolis clone as premium. I would rather see the USS Helena as a premium. 

Premiums are not a need, they're a want.

And you're right, since the US is only ever getting one more premium, ever, we should make it a good one.

Oh wait.

• Cool 1

[USCG]
Members
176 posts
12,659 battles

Interesting comments/ideas, thanks.  I did notice the older USS Houston (CA-30) when I looked up her up originally and thought she looked very similar to the current Indianapolis.  Doing something with the Texas (another camo?) is a great idea as well!

Anywho, not to get too deep in the chain locker, I just thought it would be a good way for Wargaming to raise some relief funds for the area.  Makes companies look good when they do things like that.  They get to break out one of those giant checks and hand it over in front of the cameras!  Players might also make a donation if they feel like they're getting something in return.  Buy it, don't buy it, that's up to the player.  Just think it should happen quickly.  Strike while the iron is hot (or the heat-n-beat for you buoy tender folks...).

Semper Paratus!

[NUWES]
Members
1,628 posts
5,475 battles
4 hours ago, Erebthoron said:

She is certainly deserving of being a premium, but that almost certainly won't happen until the cruiser split is close. Brooklyn will be in the split CL line.