You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Best Use of Jack Dunkirk

32 comments in this topic

[W-P-E]
Members
458 posts

Special quality of Jack Dunkirk: Expert Marksman, Jack of all trade, Smoke Screen Expert

Expert Marksman and Jack of all trade for BB

Smoke Screen expert and Jack of all trade for Light Cruisers

How do you think? Do you like a 14-captain including these special skills plus Priority Target, superintendent and concealment expert for both BB and Cruisers?

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,107 battles

I set him as a captain for the Edinburgh since that ship can get good use from EM, SSE, and JOAT.  I'm using PT, SI, and CE like you menionted, and I switch him over to my Nelson and my Warspite and he works just fine in them.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,107 posts
18,631 battles

He is useful for any RN CL. Only the expert marksman is useless with the Mino. I use him for the Belfast since she need a different build from the regular RN CL captains.

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles

Put Jack Dunkirk in a box, tape it up and FedEx it to: "Sventex - Player who couldn't finish the collection in time"

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Cruiser line

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,867 battles
3 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Put Jack Dunkirk in a box, tape it up and FedEx it to: "Sventex - Player who couldn't finish the collection in time"

tumblr_otfqfdjOW61smw5dno1_500.gif

Turn Jack Dunkirk into a flea. Then put him in a box, and then put that box in another box, and then mail it to yourself

And when it arrives, SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER!

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 2

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,186 battles
8 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

He is useful for any RN CL. Only the expert marksman is useless with the Mino. I use him for the Belfast since she need a different build from the regular RN CL captains.

I will take my current 19 point Captain from the Belfast and drop him in the Brit BB's when they arrive, then I will put Jack Sparrow ... er Dunkirk into the Belfast and train him up for it.  

The really nice thing about Elite Captain XP is that after you get a third 19 point captain generating it, you see an avalanche effect were you start generating new ones very quickly.

Alpha Tester
582 posts
4,198 battles

He's the best British captain, period, since you'll always want at least expert marksman on the BBs, and jack of all trades or smokescreen on the CLs.

I don't really think he's necessarily better on the CLs than BBs since even if all three skills "work" on Belfast/Fiji/Edin, you'll have to make serious sacrifices to take all three of his boosted skills- at least adrenaline rush which is huge for British cruisers. To take all three you'll lose a 3pt or 4pt skill- concealment expert, AFT, or IFHE if you're skilling him for the Belfast.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,669 posts
9,985 battles

I consider smoke screen expert a bit of a waste of skill points, so EM and JOAT are his high value skills.

I've put him in Gallant intending to make him my premier RN DD skipper when that line eventually arrives. He synergizes well with the special skills there, RN DD's don't have fantastic turret traverse (and shouldn't until at least T8 or T9 is my guess at the line) and JOAT is always worthwhile.

I have an 18 point Nelson-optimized captain, and a 19-point Minotaur dedicated skipper, he wasn't looking too helpful there. However getting a free 10pt captain with some DD buffing skills at the same time as Gallant came out seemed a good move to me.

So it may not just be which ship is he best optimized for, but where he fits.

For most people I'd vote a CL build as EM and JOAT are super useful on RN smoke cruisers up to T8 (EM's a bit of a waste after that).

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,937 posts
6,440 battles
46 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

is it wrong that i feel this gif could be for IJN DDs constantly getting the nerf hammer?

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
115 posts
4,486 battles
39 minutes ago, mofton said:

I consider smoke screen expert a bit of a waste of skill points, so EM and JOAT are his high value skills.

I've put him in Gallant intending to make him my premier RN DD skipper when that line eventually arrives. He synergizes well with the special skills there, RN DD's don't have fantastic turret traverse (and shouldn't until at least T8 or T9 is my guess at the line) and JOAT is always worthwhile.

I have an 18 point Nelson-optimized captain, and a 19-point Minotaur dedicated skipper, he wasn't looking too helpful there. However getting a free 10pt captain with some DD buffing skills at the same time as Gallant came out seemed a good move to me.

For most people I'd vote a CL build as EM and JOAT are super useful on RN smoke cruisers up to T8 (EM's a bit of a waste after that).

For smoke screen while it is meh at best for DDs with the limited smoke generation on the RNCLs it can help to avoid overshooting your smoke screen.

[HELLS]
Members
1,688 posts
15,246 battles
42 minutes ago, mofton said:

My reaction as well. Gallant it is

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
9 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

is it wrong that i feel this gif could be for IJN DDs constantly getting the nerf hammer?

Nope. That is a true fact. that gif fits it perfectly.

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,768 battles
1 hour ago, AraAragami said:

Turn Jack Dunkirk into a flea. Then put him in a box, and then put that box in another box, and then mail it to yourself

OMG That's awesome!

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles
3 minutes ago, Garrcia said:

For smoke screen while it is meh at best for DDs with the limited smoke generation on the RNCLs it can help to avoid overshooting your smoke screen.

I'm kind of regretting this choice. As now my smoke is large enough the battleships think I'm hosting a tea party. :fish_panic:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
1 hour ago, USSRichardNixon said:

Special quality of Jack Dunkirk: Expert Marksman, Jack of all trade, Smoke Screen Expert

Expert Marksman and Jack of all trade for BB

Smoke Screen expert and Jack of all trade for Light Cruisers

How do you think? Do you like a 14-captain including these special skills plus Priority Target, superintendent and concealment expert for both BB and Cruisers?

I'm putting mine on my Minotaur (when i actually get it).

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
59 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Also well played with that gif man.:Smile_honoring:

[SPTR]
Members
115 posts
4,486 battles
2 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

I'm kind of regretting this choice. As now my smoke is large enough the battleships think I'm hosting a tea party. :fish_panic:

Conversely without "guests" it should also give a bit more space to roll around in to avoid blind fire / blind trops.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,092 posts
9,188 battles

I am building him up for the Queen Elizabeth.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,710 posts
11,324 battles

Using him on a BB seems like a waste. He is definitely fit for CLs best, I have him on the Neptune and plan on him ending up on the Mino.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,239 battles
1 hour ago, vonluckner said:

He's the best British captain, period, since you'll always want at least expert marksman on the BBs, and jack of all trades or smokescreen on the CLs.

I don't really think he's necessarily better on the CLs than BBs since even if all three skills "work" on Belfast/Fiji/Edin, you'll have to make serious sacrifices to take all three of his boosted skills- at least adrenaline rush which is huge for British cruisers. To take all three you'll lose a 3pt or 4pt skill- concealment expert, AFT, or IFHE if you're skilling him for the Belfast.

I concur.

Also, this is totally off-topic, but isn't that a WoT signature?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,669 posts
9,985 battles
26 minutes ago, Garrcia said:

I found in a brief test that the speed difference was pretty negligible, though the change to always getting a cloud generated when the timer runs down may have changed things.

3 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Using him on a BB seems like a waste. He is definitely fit for CLs best, I have him on the Neptune and plan on him ending up on the Mino.

If the low tier RN BB release with 2.5'/s traverse then Jack's getting +1'/s traverse instead of +0.7'/s is relatively significant.

A 2.5'/s traversing BB with Jack's EM works out as getting 9% faster traverse compared to a 2.5'/s traverse BB with just a normal EM captain.

Although EM's valuable on cruisers, Jack's extra 0.3'/s isn't as big a change. On Fiji going from 7.7'/s with normal EM to 8.0'/s with Jack's EM isn't as big a shift - just 4% faster traverse.

JOAT's pretty handy for damage control and damage repair on a battleship, though as smoke downtime is the number 1 threat to RN CL I'd say you're right overall.

[ICLAD]
[ICLAD]
Beta Testers
30 posts
9,076 battles

Jack jumps between Neptune and Gallant in my fleet.  Bought all his special skills and CE as well.  Fits well in both ships.  My Minotaur doesn't need faster turrets.