Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Des Moines the go to cruiser for average solo players

24 comments in this topic

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,878 battles

The De Moines is built for the everyday player in mind. 

This ship has all the tools lots of strengths and very few weaknesses.

If you are a average play looking to deal damage and help your team this is the ship to get.

I personally am no Unicum player but even i can make this ship work without division help.

i am at 57%  and flirted with 60% several times and i can set the ship up 2 or 3 different ways and still be successful.

So if you are new to the game and new to cruisers and want to have a ship that you can depend on the Des Moines is the ship to get in my opinion.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,349 posts
11,894 battles

Not according to a previous post today.

It' seems it was just nerfed for some. I might smell Troll though.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It' seems it was just nerfed for some. I might smell Troll though.

I smell troll as well.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,633 posts
14,025 battles

I don't consider DM the ideal CA for solo players.  The main reason is proficiency at range being hindered by floaty shells and high shell arcs, squishy armor.  The last thing is that if you actually do make use of the Radar / Hydro aspect of DM, you also need teammates that actually act on you exposing those hidden threats.  Many times in solo play I have gotten my Radar Cruiser to a dangerous spot to expose hidden / smoked ships, all for the team to not shoot at them at all, as they continue to attack that Yamato 18km away instead of the targets I exposed within 10km.

The long range oriented Cruisers, Zao, Moskva, Hindenburg, HIV I consider to be superior solo play Cruisers.  You don't worry yourself about the dangers of getting into position to use Radar, Hydro.  Let some other schmuck do that and likely get themselves killed in the process.  You worry about inflicting damage at range which is safer to do, easier to get better damage, points, xps, credits with on a consistent basis.  You don't have to rely if your potato team can take advantage of the risks you put your Radar Cruiser through to expose targets, because you just keep slamming stuff at range.  Let another schmuck get himself deleted to use their Radar or whatever.

Now, in terms of Division Play, ATM Des Moines is absolutely amazing, especially working in conjunction with a DD.  However, the devs are implementing a Smoke Nerf that effectively kills that DM-DD Synergy 100%.  So the value of DM is going to drop even more.

• Cool 1

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
779 posts
6,640 battles

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If you can't leverage the utility of her radar and/or her powerful AA in a battle, I think the Hindenburg would be the better all around ship. 

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,065 posts
8,857 battles

Disagree.  It can be deleted without warning.  Average Joe needs to get the hang of it right of way. I guessing Average Joe might quit at the Pepsi.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
35 minutes ago, FratStar4Life said:

Its probably because the DM is the strongest cruiser in the game... :cap_like:

Only because Hindenburg is a battleship :P

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles
12 minutes ago, joris92 said:

Only because Hindenburg is a battleship :P

And the Moskva. So, yeah, that leaves the Des Moines.

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles

Just because it is good does not mean it's good to learn on, especially the journey up to it. USN cruisers do not draw much from fundamental cruiser play.

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

DM is not a good solo cruiser, but it is an amazing Div cruiser.

If you want a good solo cruiser, Hindenburg and Zao are the best.

I think Moskva and Minotaur are better at farming damage, however.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles
On 8/28/2017 at 3:10 PM, MrDeaf said:

DM is not a good solo cruiser, but it is an amazing Div cruiser.

If you want a good solo cruiser, Hindenburg and Zao are the best.

I think Moskva and Minotaur are better at farming damage, however.

I would agree since I have all 5 cruisers that you mentioned. 

Alpha Tester
685 posts
2,768 battles

OMG OMG OMG OMG I LOVE THE DM!!!

I just had my best (earning wise) game ever on WOWS in it and I had to post! I LOVE it when you get a good game when you're decked out with flags. 9000 Free XP and 860000 credits!!!!!!!!!!

The thing about the DM is it can rock in small groups (No big weaknesses so it can take most things 1v1) and it can really deal out damage in larger groups, but it needs to be played aggressively / risky to get those styles to work. My biggest GRRRRRRR in the ship is when you jump up, push the caps, make the bold moves, and then your stupid BBs stop moving and try to farm damage while you take the shells. If you have support, the DM can really shine, if you don't, you are always too close in and just eat damage. 

shot-17.09.15_22.25.10-0496.jpg

• Cool 1

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Should unlock the DM today. If the Baltimore is any indication (note I'm not saying I know), the comments about not being a premier solo ship are well taken. the USN line is more suited to good team play, and is outstanding when the RADAR and fine AA can be used without getting killed. The guns are good, but not rail-like at all. For solo I find the Henri VI the best choice, she plays like a big Khaba.

Members
7 posts
6,917 battles

I don't think it is a good general CA. DM requires good map positioning. DM doesn't shine without island to shoot around/over.

In good position, a bow-on Des Moine can dish out massive damage while being reasonably tanky. By slowly reversing or accelerating, you can effectively "pivot" around the island cover to "zone out" other enemies and focus on the single target you are shooting at. In this way, you can confidently win a shooting match against even a BB, let alone other CA(RN CAs in particular feels like shooting BBs pellets at steel plate) or DDs(picked apart by rapid firing gun and radar.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Des Moines does have a glaring weakness, terrible armor. Even for a cruiser.

It's a glass cannon and one of the most fun ships in the game but it's far stronger in a div than it is solo.  You want a DD to smoke you, or at least a BB that won't run away.

It's not especially good solo, Hindy, Zao, HIV all do solo better. Des Moines shines with a div or on a good team. It's terrible when your team is all garbage. This is because if you're in a position to make an impact in a Des Moines you're committed. Someone is dying.   In the case of a garbage team the three I mentioned can just kite like mad and maybe have an impact alone, Des Moines not so much.

[TSPC]
Members
173 posts
6,271 battles

Pretty much the worst solo t10 cruiser - but very powerful if you have team support - doesn't necessarily have to be from a division-  and has a very high theoretical impact on win probability 

Also requires a strong positional sense - as a result of the weak armor - to make it work such as knowledge of islands and firing positions - is also very map dependent as a result

[TOG]
Members
2,371 posts
14,622 battles

I went back to the Des after playing the Donskoi. I was pleasantly surprised when I killed a Yugumo in one salvo. The shell arcs are floaty and required a greater lead time, but the shell damage when it hits is something else. The radar range is 9.9 km but duration is about 20 sec, twice as long as the Moskva.  

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,633 posts
14,025 battles
On 9/29/2017 at 0:48 PM, Grizley said:

Des Moines does have a glaring weakness, terrible armor. Even for a cruiser.

It's a glass cannon and one of the most fun ships in the game but it's far stronger in a div than it is solo.  You want a DD to smoke you, or at least a BB that won't run away.

It's not especially good solo, Hindy, Zao, HIV all do solo better. Des Moines shines with a div or on a good team. It's terrible when your team is all garbage. This is because if you're in a position to make an impact in a Des Moines you're committed. Someone is dying.   In the case of a garbage team the three I mentioned can just kite like mad and maybe have an impact alone, Des Moines not so much.

The BB-DD-CA combo is a solid Division composition.  For our divisions when we do Tier X like that, DM is frequently plugged into that CA gap.  None of the other CAs just do that same Division Utility that DM does.  The DD needs help at the cap, we need Radar at "X" point, we need AA... DM does it all.  The BB can rack the damage, DM can throw stuff in when feasible.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The BB-DD-CA combo is a solid Division composition.  For our divisions when we do Tier X like that, DM is frequently plugged into that CA gap.  None of the other CAs just do that same Division Utility that DM does.  The DD needs help at the cap, we need Radar at "X" point, we need AA... DM does it all.  The BB can rack the damage, DM can throw stuff in when feasible.

I love the Des Moines in a BB/CA/DD div.  You can count on at least one DD and BB with a brain so you can push in aggressively.   Nothing else brings as much to the table in the CA slot imo.  It's got the highest skill floor and ceiling of the T10 CAs and one of the higher for any surface ship in the game.

I love it, but if you're running around solo you're better off with HIV or Hindy, Moskva if you can't bear to give up radar.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,633 posts
14,025 battles
3 minutes ago, Grizley said:

I love the Des Moines in a BB/CA/DD div.  You can count on at least one DD and BB with a brain so you can push in aggressively.   Nothing else brings as much to the table in the CA slot imo.  It's got the highest skill floor and ceiling of the T10 CAs and one of the higher for any surface ship in the game.

I love it, but if you're running around solo you're better off with HIV or Hindy, Moskva if you can't bear to give up radar.

Few things make me feel more vulnerable at any tier in the game than being DM in a map like Okinawa, and you spawn around B & C caps.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[DD214]
Members
757 posts
On 10/4/2017 at 6:06 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Few things make me feel more vulnerable at any tier in the game than being DM in a map like Okinawa, and you spawn around B & C caps.

At which point I move towards a while looking for targets along the way-with care.

Members
3,298 posts
8,013 battles

I'm a solo player and I have DM.  I'd rather play my Hindenburg...  or my Ibuki or my Neptune. 

Sign in to follow this