You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Donskoi Frustration

24 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles

Hey Captains,

Hope you all had a good weekend.  Just wanted to seek some advice after a frustrating weekend grinding out the Dmitri Donskoi.  Right now I'm at 38 battles with her and only running at a 32% win rate (and 78k average damage) which is by far the worst WR I have for any Soviet cruiser in the game.  I know the basic Russian cruiser fundamentals apply......stay at range and burn things down; be a good second line support ship; and support team with radar when possible.

But this ship just requires some kind of patience that I may not have.  The guns are great, but take an eternity to reload, and she handles like a battleship.  If an Iowa or Yamato even sneezes at your direction, it's significant damage due to her thin armor and massive citadel.  I think it may be my aggressiveness that gets me into trouble with her, as I feel the need to support caps with radar and then get into situations that are impossible to get out of.  She seems to have very little carry potential for an aggressive-minded player, but correct me if I'm wrong here.

This is the first ship in a long time that I've found myself this frustrated with, so I'm seeking advice on how to be more successful with her.  So the question is......how do you make Donskoi work?

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Not to be flip but the best thing is to get the Moskva. I found the Donskoi frustrating as well but I have seen her do very well in capable hands. The Moskva may not be so nimble herself but has battleship range main guns.

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles

I have a Don Skoi and this is what I do.

Step 1: Charge near a cap and ram an island

Step 2: Try and reverse

Step 3: Radar for your team and when it runs out kite

Step 4: Repeat

• Cool 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

I tend to follow in DD initially, but using cover to   light up   enemy DD at the beginning of match.  the trick of course, is to survive that.   :D    your average is similar to mine, but i  am doing better in WR.    you just can't stay at range to dmg farm, you have to use that radar to help the team.   with near 12km range, you can use it often enough to make a difference.  

Members
1,094 posts
5,622 battles
2 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

Pretty much this. Sure I could go out and abuse BBs but the radar is the true strength of this ship.

[SCCC]
Members
1,132 posts
5,571 battles
Just now, Ajax_the_Great1 said:

Pretty much this. Sure I could go out and abuse BBs but the radar is the true strength of this ship.

The forward firing angles of the Don Skoi are horrible, but it has amazing rear firing angles, making kiting extremely effective. I've bounced Yamato shells while kiting and having all my guns to bear.

• Cool 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,092 battles

Don was my least favorite of the tier nine cruisers - worst winning percentage and most games to progress through - way too many games where fire starting at range was a problem ( start initial fire, but could not get another going after target used repair), or some random BB shell cits you from long range, or tier 10 cruisers eat you for lunch....  while you can have monster games, most of the time it was a grind

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,800 posts
7,913 battles

The donkey is just a hard ship to handle.  I don't much like him, and he's one of the ugliest ships in the game.  I've found that IFHE helps a lot with being consistent.  The AP only really works for me when I'm sub-8km from my target.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,249 battles
52 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Hey Captains,

Hope you all had a good weekend.  Just wanted to seek some advice after a frustrating weekend grinding out the Dmitri Donskoi.  Right now I'm at 38 battles with her and only running at a 32% win rate (and 78k average damage) which is by far the worst WR I have for any Soviet cruiser in the game.  I know the basic Russian cruiser fundamentals apply......stay at range and burn things down; be a good second line support ship; and support team with radar when possible.

But this ship just requires some kind of patience that I may not have.  The guns are great, but take an eternity to reload, and she handles like a battleship.  If an Iowa or Yamato even sneezes at your direction, it's significant damage due to her thin armor and massive citadel.  I think it may be my aggressiveness that gets me into trouble with her, as I feel the need to support caps with radar and then get into situations that are impossible to get out of.  She seems to have very little carry potential for an aggressive-minded player, but correct me if I'm wrong here.

This is the first ship in a long time that I've found myself this frustrated with, so I'm seeking advice on how to be more successful with her.  So the question is......how do you make Donskoi work?

It was a hard ship to play, but I actually had the reverse experience. I really enjoyed it compared to the other tier 9 cruisers. 

Run full concealment and Priority Target. That's about the best 2 pieces of advice I can impart. With long-range radar, it really makes you want to get in there and use it. Sometimes you can, but sometimes you have to resist that temptation until mid to late game.

BBs are your worst enemy. They can, and will, do massive damage to you if they connect solidly. Engage them using kiting techniques whenever possible. Use PT to gauge risk vs reward. If it gets too hot, use your concealment to disengage. Once their focus is somewhere else, hit them again. Guerrilla warfare at its finest. 

It really is a second line support ship and it's difficult to outright carry games from the very beginning, at least in my experience. You have to survive until mid to late game, when enemies have been thinned out some, to really shine. 

Beta Testers
377 posts
6,055 battles

Yeah i would echo your experience with Dimitri.

Its not that hard to do damage if you kite, has decent torps but its really a support ship...so its a great ship to do damage and harass DDs with radar.

Where this ship falls apart is that you often asked/forced to do things that it really doesn't do well...like cap.

If you are forced to close in any fight your weakish DPM and poor handling mean you will more than likely die....torps certainly help..but wont really save you..just means you might take someone with you.

Sadly this boat more than most i have played really relies on team-mates to do the capping while you support...but thats not really how most games go.

I have great affection for this ship..just always struggle when your team needs caps and you have to close with other ships that are just much better at that type of fight...so good for damage but always felt it relied too much on others to secure wins with it.

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles
8 minutes ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

It was a hard ship to play, but I actually had the reverse experience. I really enjoyed it compared to the other tier 9 cruisers. 

Run full concealment and Priority Target. That's about the best 2 pieces of advice I can impart. With long-range radar, it really makes you want to get in there and use it. Sometimes you can, but sometimes you have to resist that temptation until mid to late game.

BBs are your worst enemy. They can, and will, do massive damage to you if they connect solidly. Engage them using kiting techniques whenever possible. Use PT to gauge risk vs reward. If it gets too hot, use your concealment to disengage. Once their focus is somewhere else, hit them again. Guerrilla warfare at its finest. 

It really is a second line support ship and it's difficult to outright carry games from the very beginning, at least in my experience. You have to survive until mid to late game, when enemies have been thinned out some, to really shine. 

I do run both CE and PT, but it only brings her detection down to 12.3km.  Pretty tough to pull out of a cap with a DD or stealthy cruiser lighting you up for the BB's.

And I've found that even as a second rate ship, BB's tend to focus you over closer targets, because you're such a juicy target for them.

As top tier, she fares pretty well,  But once Yamatos and Montanas start looking your way, things become much tougher.

Members
675 posts
3,956 battles

Funny. Dimitri Donskoi is my goal in the russian cruiser tech tree. A lot of guns (more than Movska I think) and has torpedoes (which again Movska don't have). No?

[CELTS]
Members
80 posts
7,804 battles
7 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I think it may be my aggressiveness that gets me into trouble with her, as I feel the need to support caps with radar and then get into situations that are impossible to get out of. 

To be honest, I hated loading up the Donskoi, even though I had pretty decent stats with her. 

I did really poorly when I forced myself to radar caps too early and got focused.  I started doing better when I was a little cautious at the start of matches.  AR helps a lot if you can take a few hits and survive long enough for it to be effective later in the match.

Kiting away will be your favorite thing once you get used to it in this ship.  With the gun accuracy it's easy to cause havoc at 20k range while wiggling those BB shells coming your way.  I had quite a few 1.5mil-plus potential damage avoided in this ship when I did that well.

[OO7]
Beta Testers
621 posts
6,960 battles

Range spam HE iirc, pretty good ship too my memory, do know i enjoyed it more than i ever have my Moskva. Is one of two T9s i have considered dropping my T10s for (other is going back to Fletcher from Gearing).

AP is kind of lackluster, so use that HE and speed. It hits hard, when it pens

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
14 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Hey Captains,

Dude I have no idea what you are talking about, Donskoi is by far my favorite tier 9 cruiser.

A key factor that makes it effective is IFHE, with it you can burn down any high tier BB without any problems. On the other hand the high shell velocity makes it easy to outgun cruisers of other nations. 180mm doesnt hurt as much as 200mm but you have better accuracy and faster reload. As for DDs, you and your radar are the bane of any DD that is unfortunate enough to be within 10km of you.

All that considered, I really don't understand how so many people have problems with this ship. Are they forgetting to take IFHE or something? The ONLY possible disadvantage of this ship that I can even think of is the weak front and rear citadel armor ... thats it. From every other perspective its an amazing ship.

Edited by Ulthwey

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
11,811 battles
14 hours ago, FayFay731 said:

Lolled because this is exactly how i played her.

I skippedout of her after 16 games. Long range he spam is so passe.

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles
4 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

Dude I have no idea what you are talking about, Donskoi is by far my favorite tier 9 cruiser.

A key factor that makes it effective is IFHE, with it you can burn down any high tier BB without any problems. On the other hand the high shell velocity makes it easy to outgun cruisers of other nations. 180mm doesnt hurt as much as 200mm but you have better accuracy and faster reload. As for DDs, you and your radar are the bane of any DD that is unfortunate enough to be within 10km of you.

All that considered, I really don't understand how so many people have problems with this ship. Are they forgetting to take IFHE or something? The ONLY possible disadvantage of this ship that I can even think of is the weak front and rear citadel armor ... thats it. From every other perspective its an amazing ship.

IFHE is equipped, which makes 5k HE volleys not too uncommon.  Just waiting for 19th point on the captain to equip Adrenaline Rush.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,039 posts
12,528 battles

Donskoi either has "options" or "an identity crisis" depending on how you want to look at it. You can stay at long range and kiting angles, go dark frequently, and IFHE+firespam your way to big damage numbers. Or you can hover right around the edge of your detection radius, hug islands, and hope to get a clutch radar on a capping destroyer that decides the game. In theory, you could do both. In practice, it's uncommon because the two favor very different positioning.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles
22 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

Don was my least favorite of the tier nine cruisers - worst winning percentage and most games to progress through - way too many games where fire starting at range was a problem ( start initial fire, but could not get another going after target used repair), or some random BB shell cits you from long range, or tier 10 cruisers eat you for lunch....  while you can have monster games, most of the time it was a grind

This.  Donskoi was a huge let-down after coming off the Budy/Schors/Chappy high.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,685 posts
10,025 battles

Ah Donskoi, the HE penetration and damage of a CL, with the reload of a CA...

Only nice thing about her is pinging destroyers at range with the flat shell arcs.

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles
18 minutes ago, JochenHeiden said:

This.  Donskoi was a huge let-down after coming off the Budy/Schors/Chappy high.

Indeed.  Hoping Donskoi is the low point and Moskva is much more enjoyable.

Honestly though, there isn't much I would do to Donskoi to make her more fun, as any major buffs could easily make her OP.  Perhaps just a bit more nimble handling or a very slight reduction in surface detection.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

reduced turning radius would do a lot for donskoi.  just a small amount.        it does alright dmgwise, but they are just not as tanky as roon. 

[-K-]
Members
5,082 posts
8,967 battles
11 hours ago, JJDOU3D said:

I'll still grind it as far as I'm concerned (I'm at tier 7 right now).

Most of us will, as it is still a good ship.  It's just a matter if you'll enjoy the grind at all.

There are only two ships so far that I disliked enough to Free XP partially through, and that was Bayern (I know) and La Galissionaire.  Donskoi isn't on that level, so I'll finish grinding her out, even if I have to grit my teeth a bit doing it.

Edited by Ace_04