You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SlartiBartFastE2

Keyboard Lag : 500 days and counting (few support tickets later)

9 comments in this topic

[HATE]
Members
783 posts
27,077 battles

I'm very upset with you, WG. About year and half ago I've experience keyboard lag for first time.

Sometime during match keyboard become unresponsive and entered keys delays for few (up to 10-20) seconds. Which of course makes game absolutely unusable. Issue is periodic and was haunting me and some of my online friends for some time now. I've been contacting support, creating tickets. Every time providing requested data and the only advise they ever made: delete preferences.xml. Which works, but also sucks. Since indicates that problem is known and still not resolved.

So I have 2 simple questions (yes, I'm also submitting another ticket)

Shall we give up and uninstall? Anyone at WG doing anything about this? 

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,228 battles

I've never had such an issue, unless my internet is lagging.

please tell me which keyboard and OS combo you are using, so everyone else can avoid it.

[HATE]
Members
783 posts
27,077 battles
19 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I've never had such an issue, unless my internet is lagging.

please tell me which keyboard and OS combo you are using, so everyone else can avoid it.

Win 10 and Logitech. I'm absolutely confident this has nothing to do with neither OS neither keyboard, simply because my friends, who use other keyboards (and one of them using Mac) were having same issue some time ago.

15 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Also - what background apps are running at the same time as the game? 

Different - today (when this lag cost me second game) I've rebooted PC and didn't launch anything but game, yet lag kept bugging me. 

Update1. As usual it's gone after deleting preferences.xml.

Which is in no way a fix

Update2. Also I monitor all temperatures in PC (CPU,board,GPU,drives) through HWMonitor and running PingPlotter to WG server to see if there are any connectivity issues

Update3. The only possible hint at this bug I see is everyone affected by it has huge ships collection (100+), which put stress on preferences.xml. If it never was meant to store more than just few bytes of configuration, this might somehow explain lag bug.

Edited by SlartiBartFastE2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,405 battles

In my experience, it's 'System operating Normally'

I think I called it pretty early on in this game.

The system introduces RNG malfunctions based on various captain points.  I think it's an absolute work of genius.

On a bad RNG day, try recruiting a new captain - zero points - and run a mission to see the difference.

You'll be amazed.  Your shells will hit, Your rudder won't freeze, and other spurious keyboard glitches will go away.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,672 posts
15,167 battles

This happened to me three times, each time during Ranked.  I hit shift to go to max zoom, and... nothing - for a half second, for two seconds, sometimes for five seconds.  Same for WASD and other things, though mouse controls were just fine.  Not sure what's causing it, and it did annoy the ____ out of me.  I tried removing mods, tried ending unnecessary tasks, and MAYBE that's helped?  I'll know more next Ranked season (because it only seems to happen to me when it really matters - go figure)...

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Theoretically I suppose the issue could be related to preferences.xml...  there are some interesting things in there... but its highly unlikely based on the visual content...

If you are experiencing it match after match on a given day... unload all flags/premium stuff you add to your ships and play them nekked except for camo. See if that makes an impact. 

<Tinfoil hat> 

I've played certain new ships without anything on them above the stock apparatus. Quite often they play "crisper" than all loaded up. Theoretically, it could be all the modifiers slow things down processing wise.

</Tinfoil hat> 

I have seen the delays come and go though... based on various patches. Complained about them then a few weeks later they magically go away... then comes another patch. Maybe some old bad code gets lifted back into the game, or someone codes something that is processor intensive running at the same level or above the keystroke (input) handlers. They figure it out, patch it but we don't know about it. 

I suspect either one is possible. ;-) 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles
1 hour ago, SlartiBartFastE2 said:

Sometime during match keyboard become unresponsive and entered keys delays for few (up to 10-20) seconds.

I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell laptop, and I have experienced this same issue. Not often, and when I do I also notice my lag spiking and my ping in the crapper. But like I said, it happens to me very rarely and usually clears up within a match or two.

The one weird thing I have noticed is this happens more often when I play Yubari; go figure, I have no explanation or theory.

Good luck figuring the bug out; I've been seeing it rarely but persistently since CBT.

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
229 posts
8,442 battles

Any updates on this? I am starting to get this and its REALLY bad, pretty much making me not want to play WoWs anymore....