You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_WaveRider_

Perth Smoke

34 comments in this topic

[USCC2]
Members
3,421 posts

I'm aware that this has been reported to support as well as being brought up in other threads regarding the Perth (but not one specifically addressing the fault), but have seen no real feedback.

The smoke on the Perth now drops a second or two before the next puff is initiated. This allows for a nice window of opportunity for the enemy to fire at a ship going at 1/4 speed in order to keep inside said smoke.

Thank you. :Smile_honoring:

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles
6 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I find if you take the smoke skill at tier 2 it covers this up

True, but no captain skill should be mandatory for making a ship usable.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
2,854 posts
7,987 battles
42 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I find if you take the smoke skill at tier 2 it covers this up

Actually, it doesn't when enemies are within the 8.6km detection range. I submitted several replays, including training room tests, at WG's request and the issue persisted.  I run that skill and it does not help.

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,844 battles
4 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Actually, it doesn't when enemies are within the 8.6km detection range. I submitted several replays, including training room tests, at WG's request and the issue persisted.  I run that skill and it does not help.

I play it daily and haven't noticed this, but I grant it may be happening and in the heat of battle I could be missing it.

[USCC2]
Members
3,421 posts
Just now, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I play it daily and haven't noticed this, but I grant it may be happening and in the heat of battle I could be missing it.

Hey, I appreciate the suggestion anyway Spoon, never know how long it will be until the issue is fixed. Thank you. :Smile_honoring:

[LOU1]
Members
2,854 posts
7,987 battles

I may be more sensitive because I like to be a big destroyer and am frequently fighting within detection range. Take her out in PvE (less pressure to perform), smoke up right before detection range, keep your weapons silent for a bit, and see if your PT detection alert goes off every 9 seconds.  I will be interested to hear the results.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
54 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

True, but no captain skill should be mandatory for making a ship usable.

Last Stand, and to a lesser degree Superintendent, are both "mandatory" skills for a DD captain.

Would you play a German BB without BFT and AFT?

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Last Stand, and to a lesser degree Superintendent, are both "mandatory" skills for a DD captain.

Doesn't change the fact that you don't *have* to take them.  Sure, as a DD captain you take those skills, but if you choose not to the DD still works.  You can skip last stand and live with every hit taking out your engine or rudder.  But Perth's smoke not covering the ship even at 1/4 speed?  That's plain broken.  It is supposed to work that way and now for whatever reason does not.

And yes, I did play German BBs without BFT and AFT (mainly because I don't play Germans except in testing so I don't have any 10+ point German captains).  They still work without them.  They aren't rendered useless.  Perth's funky smoke is arguably her most useful feature - at the very least it is what makes her unique.  It needs to be fixed.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,815 battles
19 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

Perth's funky smoke is arguably her most useful feature - at the very least it is what makes her unique.  It needs to be fixed.

By your argument, you don't *have* to use smoke, either; you could just "GIT GUD".

Either way you play it, nothing is "mandatory".

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
33 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I never use last stand on my DD's and have quit using superintendent on most of them too. I can buy the extra smokes and speed boosts with the premium consumables.

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles

They need to add "stay in your smoke speed" on the Perth. At 1/4 speed she doesn't stay in her smoke well and is the reason I don't play her often and by often I mean I might have played her 6 times since I got her. oh so long ago.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,880 posts
9,977 battles

The smoke area increase 2 point captain skill does not correct the issue nor does removing the smoke module.  Makes no difference.  With/without captain skill and/or smoke module, whether moving or sitting still it happens at the exact same point in the smoke cycle.  Even though with some setups the smoke ring is still rendered.

Each and every time a puff is released, the smoke stops preventing ship detection after 8.5 seconds.  Even though without the module it is rendered for 10 seconds and with the module it is rendered for 9.5 seconds.  This gives a 1.5 second window of detection each and every puff cycle regardless of mods/skills applied.

If one fires their guns during this phase the increased bloom will be your base detection range just as if you were not in smoke.  If any enemy is within your minimum detection range, then even if not firing your guns, you will be spotted every 8.5 seconds for a 1.5 second duration.  

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,088 battles

From Full speed to stay in your smoke as you begin to deploy. One must realize U must go full reverse rudder, about 9 seconds before deploying smoke..to stay in it whence you are done laying it down.

In the Khuto for example..thats an absolute must. Brit cls's..EVEN more so...

[OPG]
Supertester
1,880 posts
9,977 battles

You do realize that the Perth does not have British Cruiser smoke, but rather its own unique smoke generator, which continually releases smoke which was supposed to allowing it to move while in smoke?

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles
51 minutes ago, Umikami said:

By your argument, you don't *have* to use smoke, either; you could just "GIT GUD".

Either way you play it, nothing is "mandatory".

While I do agree that nothing is mandatory, it doesn't change that a primary feature of the ship is apparently no longer working as intended.  (And given others' statements above, the skill doesn't seem to fix the problem anyway)  

There's no reason for it to not be fixed.  Preferably sooner rather than later.

[WGA]
Administrator, WG Staff
446 posts
2,097 battles

This is in fact being looked into, and we're aware of the problem. No further information is available at this time however. 

[OPG]
Supertester
1,880 posts
9,977 battles
4 hours ago, wacko17 said:

This is in fact being looked into, and we're aware of the problem. No further information is available at this time however. 

Thank you!

[USCC2]
Members
3,421 posts
17 hours ago, wacko17 said:

Many thanks for the update. :Smile_honoring:

[JASH]
Beta Testers
61 posts
2,228 battles
17 hours ago, wacko17 said:

Could you add this to the Known Issues list then for reference?

Thank you.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,880 posts
9,977 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainNorway said:

Thank you.

Good point.  I didn't even notice that hasn't been updated to reflect this.  Hopefully that means 0.6.10 is going to fix it? maybe? we can hope....

[OPG]
Supertester
1,880 posts
9,977 battles
29 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Patch 0.6.10 notes:

"Corrected smoke setting on Perth"

Indeed, huzzah!

[WGA]
Administrator, WG Staff
446 posts
2,097 battles
7 hours ago, CaptainNorway said:

Thank you.

My apologizes! I was out sick for a couple weeks and did not get a chance to update the list and it looks like I dropped the ball on that when I got back.

Instead of updating now (with many of the issues being fixed tomorrow) I will update on Friday with the new list. 

Thank you for keeping me on point! 

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
2,854 posts
7,987 battles
1 hour ago, wacko17 said:

My apologizes! I was out sick for a couple weeks and did not get a chance to update the list and it looks like I dropped the ball on that when I got back.

Instead of updating now (with many of the issues being fixed tomorrow) I will update on Friday with the new list. 

Thank you for keeping me on point! 

Hope you are fully recovered.  Thanks for the help!