Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hurlbut

IJN Carrier Strike Tactics by Military History Visualized

5 comments in this topic

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,737 posts
2,013 battles

It's an interesting watch, but what I noticed were the dive bomber tactics; mainly the one that stood out to me was that they used a mixed of HE and semiAP bombs.  Apparently, they use HE bombs to suppress the AA emplacements of the target for the following on dive bombers with SAP bombs.

It's too bad the codes/engine couldn't allow a DB load-out mix of that nature (is what I heard).

• Cool 4

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
220 posts
6,387 battles

yeah I saw this the 1st time it came out and tried to put it here on the forums but for some reason it wouldn't let me :/

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles
3 hours ago, Hurlbut said:

It's an interesting watch, but what I noticed were the dive bomber tactics; mainly the one that stood out to me was that they used a mixed of HE and semiAP bombs.  Apparently, they use HE bombs to suppress the AA emplacements of the target for the following on dive bombers with SAP bombs.

It's too bad the codes/engine couldn't allow a DB load-out mix of that nature (is what I heard).

Tactics that can and do work in game.

And actually, they could do a mix of HE and SAP/AP on CV's, simply have to work around that the SAP/AP planes are a separate group like TB's from the HE DB's, and so like what you see on USN going between mix/AS/Strike +/- the SAP/AP group depending on light control module. So Shokaku would have say, a 2,2,1,1 option, with 1 HE bomb group for suppression and the other for damage, or maybe trade a TB group for the AP group. Maybe a fighter group. 

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,737 posts
2,013 battles
2 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Tactics that can and do work in game.

And actually, they could do a mix of HE and SAP/AP on CV's, simply have to work around that the SAP/AP planes are a separate group like TB's from the HE DB's, and so like what you see on USN going between mix/AS/Strike +/- the SAP/AP group depending on light control module. So Shokaku would have say, a 2,2,1,1 option, with 1 HE bomb group for suppression and the other for damage, or maybe trade a TB group for the AP group. Maybe a fighter group. 

Heh yeah, it's much more viable when you have enough strike squadrons of your own, especially at higher tiers when it's capped to 1 carrier per team (or did I get that wrong?). But also when your 2nd CV teammate is cooperating, which of course is a Once in a Blue Moon thing.

On the 2nd point, all I heard was that it's not possible or very difficult to do so with the codings/engine to do that.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles
15 hours ago, Hurlbut said:

Heh yeah, it's much more viable when you have enough strike squadrons of your own, especially at higher tiers when it's capped to 1 carrier per team (or did I get that wrong?). But also when your 2nd CV teammate is cooperating, which of course is a Once in a Blue Moon thing.

On the 2nd point, all I heard was that it's not possible or very difficult to do so with the codings/engine to do that.

Yeah, that is the one good thing that high tiers don't have that, especially with CV balance whack as it is. Fun and realistic it may be, even I have to admit 2 fleet carriers per side is a bit OP and insane, even against OP as hell AA. If they were tagged with a separate line of CVE/L as their second or limit it to the CVE/L portions of the line, might not be as bad.

I know it'd be hard, having to change to and add a 4th plane type (5 if they ever give us some dedicated scouts), in terms of it's more work, adjusting an ammunition slot or slots (as CV planes are treated as a ammunition) to register as AP when a module is selected, and making it a separate entity possibly having to change the name most likely in the more core coding do differentiate the HE planes from AP, or build a new segment if they built the switch into the HE bomb coding by making it it alters damage and penetration as alternative stats, shouldn't have to change what it's physical name is on the screen. The only potentially problematic part I see is UI/Research, which if they can't add another row/column (never remember which is which) to the module research if they could maybe add another to the end of DB's that is the AP bombers, at either reduced XP/cedits for both, or keep the current numbers making the upgrade to the AP DB's 1 xp and credit. And use a similar scheme to HE/AP shells that aside from HE being left and AP right have a orange nose/stripe and red nose/stripe that's more pointed. Maybe other visual cues.

Though again, I can only go off what I see in game and my knowledge of game coding I've worked with for other stuff. It requires a lot of work, yes, shouldn't be impossible. While most of us want gold rounds to stay the hell away, some Q&A's where someone would rather pay instead of learn tactics and gain skill they've not ruled adding the new ammo in. Meaning that they can add ammunition. Because of how CV's are, this should really just be a slightly more complex version of that which they had to do when adding CV's in the first place.

Sign in to follow this