Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ReddNekk

Neptune; Smoke or Radar?

14 comments in this topic

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles

Has anyone use the Neptune using radar in place of smoke? I've been thinking about trying that out since the smoke seems to be almost as harmful using it as it is helpful, since it's a shell/torpedo magnet.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,774 posts
13,589 battles

The only way I would run a Neptune with radar is if I had a USN Destroyer welded to my hull. Other wise you put your self at the mercy of the MM who gets to pick the maps you play. And if you can't get reliable cover you will attract a lot of incoming fire. 

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,244 battles

I don't even consider radar an option on British cruisers. 

You'd have to division with 2 other smoke ships to pull it off. At that point, you'd be better off just bringing smoke and having a ship with radar tag along. 

Smoke is pretty much mandatory as thinly armored as they are. 

[MIA-A]
Members
2,013 posts
9,612 battles

I only ran Neptune a couple times with radar.  One I had a USN DD div mate.  The other was after that when I forgot to switch back to smoke.  The ship is to big, squishy, and easy to see to justify using radar on it, in my opinion (unless you have guaranteed smoke).

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Currently at the Edinburg and I swap so now and then. When you have a fellow DD in your team who is able to read and respond (somehow rare) you ll do great with radar :P

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,877 battles

Go for smoke... you have already hydro so if you are close enough pop hydro. You need the smoke

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,332 battles

Considering that every match in my Neptune so far I have been focussed and obliterated immediately if spotted outside of smoke... never gonna give up the smoke.

[NGA-R]
Supertester
1,038 posts
5,891 battles

I primarily use Smoke on Neptune as well as Minotaur however with the increase I have seen of radar equipped ships in Tiers 9 and 10 these days Its almost become pointless and I've switched to Radar to counter the DDs.  I've pretty much gotten the same results actually, its just now I have to keep moving to avoid being deleted.  However even when running smoke lately I've been deleted relatively fast thanks to radar and people lucky enough to guess where I went to after dropping smoke.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Well... I run radar in place of smoke on a couple of cruisers... but it's a major adjustment that i'm still working on. The motto becomes "Movement is Life". Or perhaps even "Speed is Life". With the upcoming changes to smoke/radar you will be the proverbial sitting duck if you pop smoke, park inside it and fire. Putting it another way, "Radar - new and improved! Now picks up those pesky cruisers in their smoke at even greater ranges!" 

I haven't seen mention of any "counters" being given to cruisers for the upcoming nerf to smoke/buff to radar, have you? So seems to me your only choice is to start playing RN cruisers the way you'd play an Atlanta. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,609 posts
14,017 battles

Neptune with Radar, of the tech tree RN CLs, is by far the riskiest to play as such.  Several major reasons why.

Radar Range on Neptune doesn't encompass her terrible concealment range.  If a DD were to outspot Neptune, her Radar would not immediately detect the DD threat.  The disparity in concealment and Radar range is too great.  This is in sharp contrast to several Radar Cruisers that have Radar range equal to or better than their concealment range.  Edinburgh can slot radar instead of smoke and the radar range is about equal to her stealth build concealment range.  Dangerous but doable.  Minotaur is the stealthiest Tier X Cruiser, if she drops smoke in favor of radar, the radar range exceeds her stealth build concealment range.  Doable but still super-risky considering how squishy Minotaur is.

Speaking of squishy, Neptune is squishy a.f., like every other RN CL, but she is with Minotaur as the most easy to 1-shot.  Minotaur at least has excellent stealth to help hide, Neptune doesn't even have that.  Without smoke, her concealment range is terrible and she is super vulnerable.  A very bad combination.

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,768 battles

Edinburgh and the Mino are decent choices for radar.  But the Neptune I don't know if it is worth the trade off for smoke.

[3MOB]
Beta Testers
1 post
9,159 battles

I only run radar on the Mino, it's a lot of fun actually. The destroyers and cruisers never expect it.  It's just  like playing a Atlanta except with a faster fire rate. Gotta play smart. 

Beta Testers
147 posts
4,716 battles

I run Radar on the Neptune, I find some games I do exceptionlly well because I can surprise DDs sitting in smoke, in other games I do rubbish and get deleted. 

Sign in to follow this