Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SomemuttupNorth

The Missing of USS John S. McCain Have Been Recovered

8 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Members
267 posts
4,339 battles

Sadly, all 10 missing sailors following the collision of the USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) with the Liberian-flagged tanker Alnic MC have been found dead, and their bodies are now identified.

Rest in Peace 

Nathan Findley, Abraham Lopez, Kevin Sayer Bushell, Jacob Daniel Drake, Timothy Thomas Eckels Jr., Corey George Ingram, John Henry Hoagland III, Logan Stephen Palmer, Kenneth Aaron Smith and Dustin Louis Doyon

(I'm sorry that I couldn't find their rank, but if someone does, I will edit this list)

The McCain collided with the tanker off the coast of Signapore 21 August at 5:24 am local time. The collision comes just weeks after the USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) collided with a container ship in Japanese waters, killing 7 crewmembers.

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
585 posts

This was my absolute worst nightmare when standing OOD/CONN on my Destroyers.

I can't imagine how the watch personnel feel onboard McCain and Fitzgerald.  Pretty much automatically 5-10 personnel are going to lose their jobs and probably go to Courts Martial on each ship - not to mention how the bluejackets families feel losing their son, father or spouse.

Losing 3 personnel in a Helo accident was bad enough for our ships company.

I have to believe that this is a combination of a couple of factors - Optempo, training and fatigue/lack of sleep.  We were always put down when we complained we were tired, perhaps we are seeing the effects now.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,989 posts
2 hours ago, jmanII said:

This was my absolute worst nightmare when standing OOD/CONN on my Destroyers.

I can't imagine how the watch personnel feel onboard McCain and Fitzgerald.  Pretty much automatically 5-10 personnel are going to lose their jobs and probably go to Courts Martial on each ship - not to mention how the bluejackets families feel losing their son, father or spouse.

Losing 3 personnel in a Helo accident was bad enough for our ships company.

I have to believe that this is a combination of a couple of factors - Optempo, training and fatigue/lack of sleep.  We were always put down when we complained we were tired, perhaps we are seeing the effects now.

SWOs being put on ground duty, having their tech school removed, expecting to be self taught , being constantly moved around department wise AND not wanting to rock the boat? Everybody is dead tired, undercrewed and don't know how to steer a god damn ship. Frankly, I'm amazed we've only suffered three serious accidents so far.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

All the grief caused by such a dumb event. It is that there people died, otherwise we could have made jokes 'bout the US navy better using ramming flags... 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Article I read said they will be/are issuing staggered halts to ship movements to focus on safety. The admiral, due to retire or move on next month, has stepped down (been replaced) and yes, the bodies of those who died were found behind locked doors. 

It seems very much a question, in my mind, how the ship's command staff could not be held responsible for the lives lost. Sad. Very sad indeed. 

[FOXEH]
Members
267 posts
4,339 battles
6 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Article I read said they will be/are issuing staggered halts to ship movements to focus on safety. The admiral, due to retire or move on next month, has stepped down (been replaced) and yes, the bodies of those who died were found behind locked doors. 

It seems very much a question, in my mind, how the ship's command staff could not be held responsible for the lives lost. Sad. Very sad indeed. 

I'm not sure if those doors were already locked, but it's most likely they were sealed to prevent further flooding. It's terrible, but that's ship design.

Some form of command is to blame. From the helmsman to the captain or so on. Both destroyers were T-boned, showing they were crossing in front of the much larger merchant ships.

Sign in to follow this