You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Camo68

Does anyone run RPF on your Z-52?

27 comments in this topic

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,871 posts
13,382 battles

Thinking about changing up my captain build.

Currently

• 1) PT
  • 2) LS
  • 3) TAE, BFT, SI, DE
  • 4) CE

If you have used RPF did you find it beneficial?

What was your captain skill build to take the second tier 4 skill?

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

I don't use RPF on anything

[ARRGG]
Members
4,676 posts
7,503 battles

Not a lot of people use RDF ,it was highly touted just before it came out as a game changer .. game ruiner, it turned out to be for the most part a 4 point waste 

[DRI-S]
[DRI-S]
Members
570 posts
16,449 battles

I don't use it at all. those 4 points are better elsewhere.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,871 posts
13,382 battles

For those who don't run it the real value is for stealth DDs. I run it on Yugumo (no smoke) and it is a huge advantage and provides good info for the entire game. But this topic isn't about debating the merit of the skill, just the effect on a Z-52.

The question is do the benefits of having it on the Z-52 (and further strengthening it's cap contestability) outweigh giving up other skills?  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles

I also run RPF on my Shimy; very helpful.

[HATE]
Members
783 posts
27,161 battles

It  is very usable in roughly 10% situations for DD. Problem is - 90% other cases it's dead weight. My choice is: whenever it's not really required - skip it. For fast and sneaky gunboats it can be useful (to hunt down other DD's). It's worked great for Yugumo (in divisions mostly), Grozovoi, Z-46

Edited by SlartiBartFastE2

[-VT3-]
Members
1,607 posts
3,346 battles

I think I ran RPF once...

In a one-on-one battle within our clan, in which I was in a cleveland against a mutsuki.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,820 posts
10,748 battles

Don't think it's that useful on Z-52. I only have it on Kagero with TRB since not being seen without smoke it quite important. :)

And it's interesting that not many people running RDF if judging from the posts here. But I get located right off the bat in almost every match.

[STW]
[STW]
Members
25 posts
13,200 battles

I run it on mine but honestly, it's only really useful at the beginning and end of a match when you're hunting dd's. It lets me know where to line my guns up and sometimes I can actually rpf torp someone to get them to leave a cap. I basically run the Flamu 19pt build on my z-52. It's one of my favorite dds for contesting caps. I put the hydro and speed boost boosters on mine. Works great.

-JJ

Members
1,664 posts
9,730 battles

I dont understand why people scoff at RPF.  Maybe I just "see" more with it than most.  I know when a cap is going to be contested and from where before even stepping on to the cap.  I see gaps in the enemy lines to infiltrate.  If someone doesnt have RPF to keep me honest its really easy for me to slip into areas red  team would consider secure.  Its a ridiculous amount of real time information.   

I torp DDs pretty frequently off RPF bearings.  I'm sure everyone has seen Shima skill walls with RPF, but you can do it under the same circumstances with Kageros and Yugumos.  I do it well enough hitting these torps that most of my DD still have a 9-12% torp hit rate since the skill came into use.  I still believe the skill is too powerful and needs removed from the game.  The amusing thing is the meta of people believing it is a worthless skill it makes my RPF captains better scouts.  In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King.

I will say that I am not in the average WoWs player category.  I have 4x 19 point US DD captains, 2x 19 point KM DD captains, 4x 19 point IJN DD Captains, 2x 19 point Pan Asian, etc.  I have these captains trained for different builds and use them as I see fit.  I do have a least one RPF captain for IJN, US, and German DDs.  The others I prefer to boost the combat potential over scouting ability.  I will admit there are times a captain that is all about damage works, at the end of the day they are just tools to use.

• Cool 2

Members
810 posts
7,122 battles
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I dont understand why people scoff at RPF.  Maybe I just "see" more with it than most.  I know when a cap is going to be contested and from where before even stepping on to the cap.  I see gaps in the enemy lines to infiltrate.  If someone doesnt have RPF to keep me honest its really easy for me to slip into areas red  team would consider secure.  Its a ridiculous amount of real time information.   

I torp DDs pretty frequently off RPF bearings.  I'm sure everyone has seen Shima skill walls with RPF, but you can do it under the same circumstances with Kageros and Yugumos.  I do it well enough hitting these torps that most of my DD still have a 9-12% torp hit rate since the skill came into use.  I still believe the skill is too powerful and needs removed from the game.  The amusing thing is the meta of people believing it is a worthless skill it makes my RPF captains better scouts.  In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King.

I will say that I am not in the average WoWs player category.  I have 4x 19 point US DD captains, 2x 19 point KM DD captains, 4x 19 point IJN DD Captains, 2x 19 point Pan Asian, etc.  I have these captains trained for different builds and use them as I see fit.  I do have a least one RPF captain for IJN, US, and German DDs.  The others I prefer to boost the combat potential over scouting ability.  I will admit there are times a captain that is all about damage works, at the end of the day they are just tools to use.

Someone finally gets it. I don't understand why people think the skill is so situational. It's a constant unending stream of free info on top of all the free info the game already gives you. For those that get this concept it turns you into this for your team...

14703_E-3_E-8_3-D_large.jpg?v=1429029877

[WOLFB]
Members
1,662 posts
8,047 battles

I'm slowly grinding through the line but i don't think about taking RPF.

My build would be : 

-PT-PM

-LS-AR

-TAE-SI- (not sure if taking SE or BFT)

-CE

Germain DD have decent concealment and their torps are really scary : 90 sec base CD with insane 70kts speed and 1.3km concealment.

Now if i really had to take a second 4pt skill, well yeah, i would take RPF but i find more usefull skill costing less.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,871 posts
13,382 battles
20 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I'm slowly grinding through the line but i don't think about taking RPF.

My build would be : 

-PT-PM

-LS-AR

-TAE-SI- (not sure if taking SE or BFT)

-CE

Germain DD have decent concealment and their torps are really scary : 90 sec base CD with insane 70kts speed and 1.3km concealment.

Now if i really had to take a second 4pt skill, well yeah, i would take RPF but i find more usefull skill costing less.

I decided on the following build and it is working well:

1. PT
  2. LS, AR
  3. TAE, BFT
  4. CE, RPF

The Z-52 is the undisputed king of capping and bullying other DDs and the extra information that RPF gives really does make a big difference (Push into range, pop hydro, pop smoke, sink DD rinse and repeat!).

I use premium consumables and that makes up for not taking SI. It would be nice to have DE as well but RPF allows me to push directly at enemies and I do more damage that way.

Members
810 posts
7,122 battles
1 hour ago, Camo68 said:

I decided on the following build and it is working well:

1. PT
  2. LS, AR
  3. TAE, BFT
  4. CE, RPF

The Z-52 is the undisputed king of capping and bullying other DDs and the extra information that RPF gives really does make a big difference (Push into range, pop hydro, pop smoke, sink DD rinse and repeat!).

I use premium consumables and that makes up for not taking SI. It would be nice to have DE as well but RPF allows me to push directly at enemies and I do more damage that way.

You are now a hard counter to any kind of flank or ambush. You will know how many ships are pushing where at the start of the match (with practice). You'll be able to tell your team down to the exact grid square where something is likely to appear and/or will be traveling through. You will be able to do this literally from half way across the map. The more enemy ships that die the stronger RPF will become. They won't be able to blink without you knowing when and where.

[SOD]
Members
147 posts
6,028 battles

I run RPF on  my Fletcher and Yugumo. It gives me great details for the enemy DDs, specially the sneaky ones. But on the German DDs, I don't think you would use it that much. Remember, German DDs have Hydro, and very good Hydro, 4+ Km for ship detection. So, I usually charge in the cap, and when I get spotted, I wait about 5-10s, then I hydro up. I see the enemy DDs smoke up, but it don't help. I kill many DDs that way, specially in my Maas (which I upgraded yesterday to Z-23). So RPF, not sure its that useful for the german DDs. For other lines of DD yeah I can see it being very useful, specially on my Yugumo with TRB.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,523 posts
24,645 battles

Yes.

Hydro plus Radio Location creates a very effective DD hunter. You know in advance which direction to point your guns. When you are out-spotted, you know which direction to charge with hydro up. The Z-52's relatively fast torp reload allows you the luxury of more  "luck chucks" and RL increases your chances of landing hits. Enemy DD trying to stealth flank your group?  Nope, and you have Hydro to get early detection on that "unexpected" wall of torps. 

Radio Location is an unusual skill. It's worthless for a new player but very powerful for an experienced player who knows how to use it. Demo Expert works whether you are a unimcum or a team-killing zombie. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[KP]
Members
1,998 posts
18,464 battles
On 8/27/2017 at 7:07 PM, Camo68 said:

Thinking about changing up my captain build.

Currently

• 1) PT
  • 2) LS
  • 3) TAE, BFT, SI, DE
  • 4) CE

If you have used RPF did you find it beneficial?

What was your captain skill build to take the second tier 4 skill?

I'm running it for clan battles only and it's working great for determining enemy direction by triangulating with my Div mate.

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,016 posts
2,608 battles

It isn't too bad. You know where to point guns and if there is a random dd in some direction in blue water you can run them down. Problem is this only helps when entering a cap fight and mid/late game if a random dd has managed to sneak into your backfield. 

Those scenarios don't account for a lot of game time. The Z-52 likes to cap early, kill dd's mid, and harass late game. 4 points is a steep price for something that only helps you 15% of the time. 

Members
74 posts
17,420 battles

I use it on my Z-52 for Clan Wars; rather handy to determine flanking positions against your team, or in one on one cases (have had several matches come down to me vs some other DD).

In randoms? Completely useless.

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,656 battles

RPF has definite uses, especially on stealth DDs and those that want to hunt them. As mentioned, it is very useful for DDs that don't have smoke. For the Z52, if DD hunting was your favorite sport, it COULD be worthwhile.

It does have 2 major drawbacks.

1. Cost. Other nice 4 pt skills.

2. The enemy gets to know they are being RPF'd. This will let the enemy know they just became the closest ship to an unseen DD and they should probably WASD like crazy. This can make getting torp hits problematic, and with a little team coordination, may help the red team locate where you most likely are. Personally I wish I could turn it on and off but that would mean I would probably forget to turn it back on and get surprised by a ship I should have "seen" coming.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,820 posts
10,748 battles
23 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

RPF has definite uses, especially on stealth DDs and those that want to hunt them. As mentioned, it is very useful for DDs that don't have smoke. For the Z52, if DD hunting was your favorite sport, it COULD be worthwhile.

It does have 2 major drawbacks.

1. Cost. Other nice 4 pt skills.

2. The enemy gets to know they are being RPF'd. This will let the enemy know they just became the closest ship to an unseen DD and they should probably WASD like crazy. This can make getting torp hits problematic, and with a little team coordination, may help the red team locate where you most likely are. Personally I wish I could turn it on and off but that would mean I would probably forget to turn it back on and get surprised by a ship I should have "seen" coming.

No. It tells the target it's closest to a red ship. It's not DD exclusive. There's not enough information to derive from.