You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

3 battles in the HMS Nelson.

22 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

So I converted my free EXP from the ships I've played the crap out of: Furutaka, Aoba, Kongo, Colorado, and used it to get the HMS Nelson (1941 configuration?). So far I've played a number of battles in it, 3 to be exact. The first two aren't worth mentioning, as I performed like crapin them and they were T8 and T9 matches on North and Hotspot. With its 24.0 knot speed, it really suffers in those matches just like the USN dreadnoughts. The third battle was (FINALLY) a 'normal' Tier 5-7 match, and it really demonstrated some of the ship's strengths and weaknesses.

Strengths:

-Fairly accurate guns

-Very high fire chance on the HE shells (46% is no joke)

-You don't have to maneuver much to engage targets on the other side

-Good heal

Weaknesses:

-Troll armour layout, somewhere between USN and IJN in durability, but I get citadeled from weird angles, such as towards the end of the 3rd match when I got into brawling range with a Colorado and he took 30k HP from me seemingly out of nowhere.

-Meh maneuverability

-Weak AP, is she almost a dedicated HE spammer?

-Slow

-Heal without Superintendent only has 2 charges

What's your recommended play style for this ship?

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

3rd battle:

-2 kills

-108k damage

-Top on team

Is T7 not as good as before or is it just the weekend? I'm seeing more high-tier maps and matches than a couple months ago (Feb, March), when T5-7 was the norm for T7. 

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Haven't had an issue with her AP. I usually get consistent 10-12k salvos.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,651 posts
7,540 battles

The ships ability entirely revolves around if 380+ mm guns are shooting at you or not. Even a Bayern can reliably citadel an angled Nelson at a decent range so it's important to limit how much those guns can hit you. In trade for that if you are only facing 14" gun Bbs than you are practically invulnerable to AP and can laugh off fire damage with the mega heal.  It has a lot of hp but also is a large target and easy to hit so it needs to be carefully played to limit its exposure to the weapons it has no protection from. 

The guns are reliable and positioned closely together which helps to make consistent salvoes and it's easy to use all the guns. So the fire power is very good on the Nelson and it's a very dangerous ship to leave alive.

[O7]
10,651 posts
7,540 battles
1 minute ago, Zionas said:

Why is Nelson vastly outperforming the other T7 BBs according to WT? It's average damage is over 65k.

It requires a lot of free xp so it's hard for inexperienced players to get. Plus it's very good. 

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,310 posts
11,408 battles
45 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Will this ship be easier to play and more popular than the KGV?

Yes

[-GPS-]
Members
2,516 posts
24,536 battles

Avoid torpedoes. Repeat, avoid torpedoes. The stoopid heal won't help you because the alpha damage you take is just like a citadel. Vigilance is well worth 3 skill points. 

You are vulnerable to shots placed right under the middle turret even when angled. I still don't understand how but I did 27k damage to another Nelson with 2 shells hitting there. He was somewhat open but not full broadside by any means. 

Your gun layout and excellent firing angles open up positioning options Warspite can't even dream about. Use that!  Just remember that if you are kiting away it takes forever for the turrets to rotate to the opposite side. 

Don't overdo the HE. Yes you may citadel British cruisers with the HE. However, the AP does just what it should. If you see another BB take torpedoes or obviously use DC, by all means light him up then switch back to AP unless he's angled sharply. This is the only captain I use Expert Loader on other than Steven Seagal who has special tricks and resides in the Missouri sometimes. (DDs hate being radared then hit with HE from a BB.)

Jack Dunkirk is a great captain for Nelson because of the improved turret traverse and 10% reduction in cool down for all consumables if you select Jack of all Trades. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,768 posts
12,866 battles
3 hours ago, Goose21891 said:

Haven't had an issue with her AP. I usually get consistent 10-12k salvos.

Correct.  Just because the HE is so good, don't give up AP just because of the HE.  Any cruiser...any tier...go AP.  Most BBs broadside, go AP.   Most BBs that 16 inch can overmatch and they are showing bow...AP again.  Bow on T8 and above...HE...sets some fires and then switch back to AP for superstructure pens.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
4 hours ago, Zionas said:

What's your recommended play style for this ship?

My recommended play style is to save the free exp for the Missouri or use it to bypass the game's worst ships like Pensacola, Izumo or Shokaku. Definitely Shokaku. You know you're dealing with a nightmare ship when a Fletcher can chew your planes like a cruiser. 

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,082 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

My recommended play style is to save the free exp for the Missouri or use it to bypass the game's worst ships like Pensacola, Izumo or Shokaku. Definitely Shokaku. You know you're dealing with a nightmare ship when a Fletcher can chew your planes like a cruiser. 

Pensacola is a decent ship. And why pass up on a good and fun premium battleship that you can play and enjoy in the long run just to skip a couple stinkers you'd only have to play through in the short term? 

Alpha Tester
579 posts
4,191 battles
18 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Pensacola is a decent ship. And why pass up on a good and fun premium battleship that you can play and enjoy in the long run just to skip a couple stinkers you'd only have to play through in the short term? 

Whether you want a premium or not, the Missouri is a vastly better use of your free xp.

[O7]
10,651 posts
7,540 battles
21 minutes ago, vonluckner said:

Whether you want a premium or not, the Missouri is a vastly better use of your free xp.

Depends, if you don't like playing the iowa and don't need silver or xp the Missouri might now hold much value. The Nelson is a good ship and is at a good tier, there is nothing wrong with getting it instead. 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,219 posts

Well spotting torpedoes isn't the issue - even when you spot them out a distance the rudder shift time is so horrible that it is quite hard to miss all the torpedoes.  That and any torpedo hit that results in flooding will easily eat 1/2 the nelson's health.  

HE = citadel city on most exposed CA's sides.  I usually use HE until about 10km from bb's then it's AP time - but used smartly - bow tank, HE, flash me your flanks, use AP.

The turrets are the fastest turning I've seen on a BB. I can get them to bear as fast as I usually need them.  Unfortunately, the 2ndaries are a joke.  I am wondering if they all are even firing...

The armor, even though looks thick on paper fells like... well, paper.  Also keep in mind the back side isn't very thick so aft tanking isn't a good idea.

I enjoy playing it.  I just wish I got more credits for the effort.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,034 posts
9,183 battles
  5 battle 5 wins no deaths            

So far the ships is pretty brutal but positioning is critical. You are a support ship. Use both AP and HE when appropriate, never give your side, never go alone. Ideal be on one side of the map or the other If you can get the enemy main push on the flank then you are golden.

Ship Statistics

Icon Name Tier Type Nation Battles ▼ WR Dmg XP K/D Sh☠ Pl☠ Srv MBH TH WTR
    12345678910 DDCA/CLBBCV FranceGermanyJapanPolandUKUSAUSSR  
PBSB002.png Warspite 6 BB uk.svg UK 256 59.77% 55,337 1,640 2.5 1.2 1.8 54% 28% 0% 1,224
PBSB507.png Hood 7 BB uk.svg UK 28 57.14% 76,114 1,771 3.7 1.2 2.4 68% 27% 0% 1,297
PBSB517.png Nelson 7 BB uk.svg UK 5 100.00% 79,235 2,162 2.8 0.0 100% 26% 0% 1,668

[NUWES]
Members
1,630 posts
5,475 battles
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, Zionas said:

Will this ship be easier to play and more popular than the KGV?

Yes.

[NUWES]
Members
1,630 posts
5,475 battles
10 hours ago, Zionas said:

I've only played three battles in it, so I'm still getting better at it. I hope the actual British line won't disappoint (e.g. Tiers 3-7). Nelson really seems to struggle when up-tiered.

All the T7 BBs struggle when uptiered. Colorado, Nagato, and Nelson are too slow on the big maps. Scharn and Gneis are woefully light on firepower. None of them can really tank higher tier BBs well.

Alpha Tester
2,277 posts
4,349 battles

Had my best battle in it tonight..  was in a T9 match and was the only T7 BB out of 4  1t7 1 t8 and 2 t9 per side.  all cruisers were T8 or 9 and there were 3 DD's each side 1 T7 and 2 T9.

Decided to try an experiment and loaded HE at the start and decided to stay there the whole battle.

Got 3 kills, including 2 of the DD's and a Misery, both DD's single salvoed and Misery by Witherer  with 5 citadels on the cruisers from the HE and wound up with 155k damage.

If you play carefully and don't get into a position to be insta-deleted, her main battery and HE is a VERY effective weapon when bottom tier and her slower speed stops you getting over extended too quickly.

Wound up as top of the team in one of the two T7 ships.

Oddly enough.. the first battle in 7 I have survived to the end in:)

M