You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Other navy's candidates for legendary captains

73 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,901 posts
12,421 battles

So now that we're getting Yamamoto as Japanese legendary captain, what about other nations? Here are some of my nominations:

USN: William 'Bull' Halsey

UK: Louis Mountbatten

German: Karl von Müller or Hans Langsdorff

And just because I can:

Dutch: Karel Doorman

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles

Well, the USN already has a legendary captain in the form of that swashbuckling sea hero Steven Segal (seagull?), and the RN has Jack Dunkirk. Will there only be one legendary commander per fleet/nation?

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

We'd probably get Jackie Fisher, Jellicoe, Tovey, Beatty, or Cunningham before Mountbatten

[HINON]
Supertester
18,901 posts
12,421 battles
Just now, UltimateNewbie said:

Well, the USN already has a legendary captain in the form of that swashbuckling sea hero Steven Segal (seagull?), and the RN has Jack Dunkirk. Will there only be one legendary commander per fleet/nation?

Those aren't 'legendary' captains, just named ones. I mean captains from history that you can earn through a long campaign, like Yamamoto Isoroku.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,901 posts
12,421 battles
2 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

We'd probably get Jackie Fisher, Jellicoe, Tovey, Beatty, or Cunningham before Mountbatten

Probably, but I like Mountbatten, and figured I'd nominate him over these more 'standard' choices.

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Those aren't 'legendary' captains, just named ones. I mean captains from history that you can earn through a long campaign, like Yamamoto Isoroku.

Sure, but unlike the other captains in my port, they have a yellow stripe on their graphic to indicate their elite status. This change happened at the same time Yamamoto was dropped in, iirc, which makes me suspect they're linked. 

I I would gladly be proven wrong though. 

Why Mountbatten over Jellicoe?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,645 battles

For some reason Admiral Donald J. Trump popped into mind with a Make America Great Again skill.  I must really be tired...

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
11,944 posts
3,863 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Probably, but I like Mountbatten, and figured I'd nominate him over these more 'standard' choices.

Wasn't Mountbatten the one blown up by the IRA in the 70's?

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,455 battles

Who will be the Russian one? I have an idea for improved skills:

-DE increases fire chance by 4%

-BFT reduces reload time by 30%

-last stand allows you to keep 70% of your maneuverability 

да

Members
352 posts
1,803 battles

For the US Navy, there have been several legendary admirals whose history are commonly associated with certain ship classes. Here are my quick suggestions, again just from the perspective of the US Navy.

Aircraft carrier: Marc Mitscher. The commander of the Fast Carrier Task Force, decimated the Kido Butai in the Philippine Sea. The USS Enterprise was one of his flagships, I believe.

Battleship: Willis Lee. One of the best battleship skippers of the US Navy, allegedly knew radar better than the operators, and expertly maneuvered the USS Washington to demolish the Kirishima at night.

Cruiser: Daniel Callaghan or Norman Scott. Commander of the USS San Francisco and Atlanta respectively during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.

Destroyer: Arleigh Burke. "31-knot Burke" was quite the destroyer squadron commander, and lead DesRon 23. Ernest Evans (captain of the USS Johnson) also qualifies, as his sheer audacity in attacking the Center Force during the Battle off Samar helped turn back the Japanese force and prevented the amphibious landings from being devastated.

Other notable admirals include Raymond Spruance, who propelled the US to victory during the Battle of Midway and the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and Robert Copeland (captain of the USS Samuel B. Roberts), who like Evans attacked against overwhelming odds during the Battle off Samar. I'm personally not a big fan of William Halsey, but you can make a case for him as well.

Of all these captains though, I would nominate Mitscher.

Edited by icyplanetnhc
  • Cool 4

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
11,944 posts
3,863 battles
14 minutes ago, m373x said:

Who will be the Russian one?

Kolchak (problematic), Kuznetsov

Edited by Goose21891

[HINON]
Supertester
18,901 posts
12,421 battles
8 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Sure, but unlike the other captains in my port, they have a yellow stripe on their graphic to indicate their elite status. This change happened at the same time Yamamoto was dropped in, iirc, which makes me suspect they're linked.

WG treats them differently. Seagull and Jack Dunkirk aren't legendary captains. Just named ones.

8 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Why Mountbatten over Jellicoe?

Because he needs some love after he told Kimmel how vulnerable Pearl was a few months before the attack and got told off and how 'Pearl would never be attacked'. Could've saved a lot of lives if Kimmel had listened.

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
913 posts
17,895 battles

If I am not mistaken they have announced already the next will be Halsey.  Someone posted this info that came from gamescon but cant remember the thread.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
19 minutes ago, Lert said:

what about other nations?

KapitanLeutnant Felix Von Luckner

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,173 posts
10,408 battles

Donald Trump to be the Commander of the Supply Boat, he will seen with a Whip in his hand whipping the Torpedo Polisher into Shape!

Members
352 posts
1,803 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

WG treats them differently. Seagull and Jack Dunkirk aren't legendary captains. Just named ones.

Because he needs some love after he told Kimmel how vulnerable Pearl was a few months before the attack and got told off and how 'Pearl would never be attacked'. Could've saved a lot of lives if Kimmel had listened.

I honestly would've preferred William Tennant as the reward captain for the Dunkirk scenario.

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
913 posts
17,895 battles

Sauce http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1077287.html

Italian BB Roma in the works
Another 'wonderful IJN Battleship' in addition to the Kii
William Halsey next unique commander
Later a German and British captain will be added one at a time
German commander is a delicate issue, will be discussed and community reactions judged on who to add
New collab for Asia region (Japan in particular) to be announced at TGS.  (earlier WG press conference revealed it's possibly anime related again)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
5 minutes ago, icyplanetnhc said:

Destroyer: Arleigh Burke. "31-knot Burke" was quite the destroyer squadron commander, and lead DesRon 23.

Burke is a great captain, but I think I would go with Frederick Moosbrugger, commanding during the Battle of Vella Gulf.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles

For the US, given the nature of the game, Lee.  For the IJN, I'd nominate Tanaka.  For the Brits...I'm a Cunningham fan.  For the Italians, Iachino

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles
9 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Burke is a great captain, but I think I would go with Frederick Moosbrugger, commanding during the Battle of Vella Gulf.

This.  Moosbrugger was outstanding.  For the Germans I'd nominate Von Hipper.  It's safer to stay away from the nazi era commanders, who mostly didn't do much anyway.  If I HAD to nominate a KM commander it would likely be Marschall.  At least be brought his ships home.

Edited by crzyhawk

[5BS]
Members
4,438 posts
1 hour ago, Lert said:

So now that we're getting Yamamoto as Japanese legendary captain, what about other nations? Here are some of my nominations:

And just because I can:

I assume they will do either Spruance or Halsey, with CV focused features, for the US, and release as another campaign or giveaway whenever the CV rework comes/USN CV buffs (AP Bombs) Comes. Also I figured that the RN Commander will be Somerville, with BB/CC focus. Maybe released whenever a Renown Class is released.

Edited by _RC1138

Beta Testers
263 posts
2,620 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

And just because I can:

Decent choices. What about Russia, France and Italy?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,901 posts
12,421 battles
3 minutes ago, Omega_Weapon said:

Decent choices. What about Russia, France and Italy?

Don't know enough about their navy and historical captains to venture nominations.

[5BS]
Members
4,438 posts
Just now, Lert said:

Don't know enough about their navy and historical captains to venture nominations.

France's is obvious right? Darlan.