You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GMG1Jack

Secret to Myoko ?/

19 comments in this topic

[NAVET]
Members
107 posts
2,215 battles

Haven't done any randoms with her yet , but she is costing me big time in co op . Only issue I see is terrible turret traverse . And no I don't use flags in co op .. I bumped up to C hull and the torp upgrade when I got her .. I see some threads here where some are doing real good with her . Is she the slug to beat you with for Mogami ? 

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Myoko is one of the best T7 heavy cruisers (or the best?) there is. 

Use Demolition Expert skill and stay at range with her to burn down enemy battle ships and close in when possible to support your fellow DD, because the tight spread together with the great HE shells pack a serious punch. Just make sure to not get too close to an enemy BB and while you run drop off some torpedoes :)

So how do you play her? If you get bothered by her gun rotation it seems like bad positioning, plan your way ahead so that you can keep your guns at the same side. Also hug islands when you are helping your DD out so that you can get away.

Even vs T9s she does fine :)

Edited by joris92

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

Stay at range and spam HE.

[WFR]
Members
433 posts
6 minutes ago, GMG1Jack said:

Haven't done any randoms with her yet , but she is costing me big time in co op . Only issue I see is terrible turret traverse . And no I don't use flags in co op .. I bumped up to C hull and the torp upgrade when I got her .. I see some threads here where some are doing real good with her . Is she the slug to beat you with for Mogami ? 

myoko uses her ninja skills to sneak closely to a victim, then pulverize it with a savage 200mm broadside of HE or AP depending on your target. her AP will devastate even lightly armored battleships, and bow penetrate poor t5 seals in light cruisers, heavily armored ships cannot escape her savage HE barrage either, setting numerous fires and tearing away big chunks of their ships too. when escaping or passing into or out of cover, she has 12 x 610mm torpedo tubes to deter wanting to chase this demon. One does not turn to use torpedoes on a target in front of them. one waits until the target stops paying attention to the extreme threat you pose, then you unleash a 6 torpedo deletion salvo just before sliding back into cover. one also releases torpedoes from stealth, ideally in time with other destroyers, to make large ships regret their life choices.

You can play myoko solo, with a team, pushing or retreating. The main key would be - always have an escape route where you can slink back into stealth again/angling off against the most imminent threat.

she'll bounce some shells but don't expect miracles. and if you expose your tasty broadside, most destroyers will annihilate you, and most battleships will 1 hit you, but that's a rule for most cruisers in general.

I think the more difficult part of playing her is knowing when to engage more than just her front two turrets, and when to make moves between islands, and how to navigate through being uptiered in t9 matches.

fighting bots is only going to show you how vulnerable you are, and only be able to teach you how to handle aggressive opponents. bots don't help for the nuances of mid or lategame fighting or battles at range. decent for you to learn her guns though.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles
2 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

Stay at range and spam HE.

This really.  Use your torps for area denial and to harrass pursuers (otherwise, forget you ahve them.)  Stay angled.  Shes an amazing ship.

[NAVET]
Members
107 posts
2,215 battles

I prefer BB , so am used to the turrets issue , I have had a couple decent games with her , Most of my AP has ended up overpen , so I have mainly used HE , which is a great firestarter for certain . I always seem to be on the wrong side of the map with her and when I do get in action , it's pretty much over already .  Not giving up , I see potential , just have to work it out ..

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles

No real secret, the Myoko and all the higher tier IJN cruisers are solid ships, with few gimmicks.

Solid guns, bad turrets, good HE and the AP isn't bad either

They're kinda big, and fragile, but that's nothing new to cruisers.

Torps for ambushes and covering your escapes. They're arranged well for dumping fish when your already turned to run away, they are not good for aggressive use.

The AA is good, but not stellar. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles

I used BBs and DDs heavily early on when I learned the game and combined the lessons learned when going to CAs

Turret traverse Mod equipment and expert Marksman skill are helpful if turret traverse troubles anyone, used these on CA in Ranked and made me feel like a more valuable asset in hunting fast DDs and keeping them off my team in between doing the HE shelling of enemy ships.

Members
31 posts
2,950 battles

So, I absolutely HATE the Myoko and only play it because:

1. I'm stupid

2. I'm a masochist

3. In for a penny, in for a pound (I've wasted so many man hours grinding)

None of the above are valid reasons for throwing good money after bad (more time sunk into losing matches and getting pissed off in what is supposed to be a fun past time).

So, my question is, everybody keeps saying phrases like, "...if played right...",  or "...you have to know how to Myoko..."

Okay, fine, what-the-frick-ever.

But what the heck does that MEAN (in concrete terms, specific examples) to "play the Myoko correctly"???!!!

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
341 posts
6,559 battles
1 hour ago, kukailimoku said:

But what the heck does that MEAN (in concrete terms, specific examples) to "play the Myoko correctly"???!!!

DO NOT:

1: Yolo. The ship has good armor, but it will still take damage from broadside hits and cruiser HE.

2: Show your broadside to the enemy in order to use your torps. Those torps are used for running away or to lob at a enemy as you pass by them. Never attempt to use them as a main weapon in a active firefight unless you are going to die anyways. In which case they will likely be the last thing you fire.

3: Close to within 10km of another enemy ship. You don't need to. If you do need to in order to hit a target, you need more practice plain and simple. You want to kite around and burn things to the ground.

4: Use AP further than 10km. The AP on the ship is good and it can citadel a broadsided cruiser at max range, but ultimately, you will want to stick with HE throughout the entire line and for the majority of the battles.

DO:

1: Stay at range, beyond 10km, and use HE to burn anything red.

2: Stay hidden until you can do so safely or at least until you know that you are not facing half the enemy team alone.

3: Angle your ships to incoming shells. The Armor on this thing is amazing for its tier but the sides (like all cruisers and ships in general) are the weak points.

4: Swing the ships rear only when you intend to fire the rear guns and then hide the rear guns when the enemy is going to fire. Typically, you can afford to keep the rear guns on target, but it is always safer to hide them in order to get as much of a angle as possible when the enemy shells hit you. Avoid giving the enemy a chance to get at your sides and you will bounce a heck of a lot more shells.

5: Use the ships rudder to get guns to target faster and take appropriate skills to aid in turret traverse and HE damage potential. These will greatly increase the ships damage potential. Use the rudder, use the module (even if it does add 5% to reload time), and get the captain skill to increase it further. This will make the slow turret traverse manageable.

6: Run from BB's and make sure you are as far from them as possible when you are firing your HE. You don't have to be close to them and you want to be able to avoid as many of their shells as you can. This requires distance and unlike the BB, you can afford to miss a few rounds... however unlikely.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
2 hours ago, kukailimoku said:

So, I absolutely HATE the Myoko and only play it because:

1. I'm stupid

2. I'm a masochist

3. In for a penny, in for a pound (I've wasted so many man hours grinding)

None of the above are valid reasons for throwing good money after bad (more time sunk into losing matches and getting pissed off in what is supposed to be a fun past time).

So, my question is, everybody keeps saying phrases like, "...if played right...",  or "...you have to know how to Myoko..."

Okay, fine, what-the-frick-ever.

Myoko is an intermediate / long ranged fighter. 

If you try to fight in closer ranges, the bad turret traverse really becomes an issue.  If you fight in closer ranges, that means it's harder for you to leverage your concealment and break contact when you want.

Use your concealment to control your engagements.  Use it to get into the positions to fight safely and hidden until you open up to attack.  Use it to break contact and "go dark" if things are looking bad.

14km to your max range is your preferred engagement envelope.  Any closer when BBs are around is too risky.  So, 14km to max is what you're fighting in most of the time.  Unless you see broadside Cruisers to AP, spam HE and cause steady damage.  You can easily put BBs ablaze.  However, if the enemy is pushing hard, if you need to kite, you should be happy.  Because this is where IJN Cruisers are at their best.

If the reds are pushing, turn away, speed away, and give ground.  I highly suggest to "go dark" and when you do, that's when you drop torps.  Drop one side's torps, turn, drop the other side's torps also.  Do this while still concealed, far safer.  Doing torpedo drops while stealthed up also means you're not being seen and telegraphing that you are indeed dropping torps.  Don't give the enemy that info by tipping your hand like that.  If they see it, they'll try to citadel you as well as take evasive actions to prepare for your torps.  In reality you are likely dropping torps past your max range but still hidden.  The idea is that the enemy ships in their pursuit will shorten that range as they sail into them.  Hold your gunfire.  Hopefully you get torp hits, floods, and whoever that happens to, open up and slam them with HE & Fires.  With their DCP on CD, they're in big trouble and you'll rack up a lot of damage.  Even if your torps miss, it's usually enough to get them to slow down a bit as they now are worried about torpedoes to the face.  This can buy you and other fleeing teammates time to safely retreat.

Get a hang of these torpedo and gun tactics, because it gets easier to do in Tier VIII and then most especially in Tier X.  At Tier VIII you get access to CSM1 upgrade to have an even better concealment range.  Zao at Tier X gets access to 12km torps.

There is a common sin to newer IJN Cruiser players, is that in desperation to use their torpedoes, roll up to the enemy, turn broadside to fire torps, and get citadeled to hell and back in the process.  Don't do that.  Myoko's torpedo launch angles are rearward facing, so it's more ideal on a kiting style of play to use them to their fullest.

You should be very wary of bombers.  Your AA is pretty bad but Defensive Fire can at least panic the bombers to make them drop wide and hopefully get less hits against you.  Torpedo bombers are of significant concern because of how long the hulls are on IJN Cruisers.  You can catch a lot of torps.  If your Defensive Fire is on CD or you didn't mount it, you are extremely vulnerable to bombers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

Members
31 posts
2,950 battles
On 7/22/2018 at 12:04 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Myoko is an intermediate / long ranged fighter. 

If you try to fight in closer ranges, the bad turret traverse really becomes an issue.  If you fight in closer ranges, that means it's harder for you to leverage your concealment and break contact when you want.

Use your concealment to control your engagements.  Use it to get into the positions to fight safely and hidden until you open up to attack.  Use it to break contact and "go dark" if things are looking bad.

14km to your max range is your preferred engagement envelope.  Any closer when BBs are around is too risky.  So, 14km to max is what you're fighting in most of the time.  Unless you see broadside Cruisers to AP, spam HE and cause steady damage.  You can easily put BBs ablaze.  However, if the enemy is pushing hard, if you need to kite, you should be happy.  Because this is where IJN Cruisers are at their best.

If the reds are pushing, turn away, speed away, and give ground.  I highly suggest to "go dark" and when you do, that's when you drop torps.  Drop one side's torps, turn, drop the other side's torps also.  Do this while still concealed, far safer.  Doing torpedo drops while stealthed up also means you're not being seen and telegraphing that you are indeed dropping torps.  Don't give the enemy that info by tipping your hand like that.  If they see it, they'll try to citadel you as well as take evasive actions to prepare for your torps.  In reality you are likely dropping torps past your max range but still hidden.  The idea is that the enemy ships in their pursuit will shorten that range as they sail into them.  Hold your gunfire.  Hopefully you get torp hits, floods, and whoever that happens to, open up and slam them with HE & Fires.  With their DCP on CD, they're in big trouble and you'll rack up a lot of damage.  Even if your torps miss, it's usually enough to get them to slow down a bit as they now are worried about torpedoes to the face.  This can buy you and other fleeing teammates time to safely retreat.

Get a hang of these torpedo and gun tactics, because it gets easier to do in Tier VIII and then most especially in Tier X.  At Tier VIII you get access to CSM1 upgrade to have an even better concealment range.  Zao at Tier X gets access to 12km torps.

There is a common sin to newer IJN Cruiser players, is that in desperation to use their torpedoes, roll up to the enemy, turn broadside to fire torps, and get citadeled to hell and back in the process.  Don't do that.  Myoko's torpedo launch angles are rearward facing, so it's more ideal on a kiting style of play to use them to their fullest.

You should be very wary of bombers.  Your AA is pretty bad but Defensive Fire can at least panic the bombers to make them drop wide and hopefully get less hits against you.  Torpedo bombers are of significant concern because of how long the hulls are on IJN Cruisers.  You can catch a lot of torps.  If your Defensive Fire is on CD or you didn't mount it, you are extremely vulnerable to bombers.

Wow.

THIS!

Thanks you sir!

Members
31 posts
2,950 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 11:59 PM, Levits said:

DO NOT:

1: Yolo. The ship has good armor, but it will still take damage from broadside hits and cruiser HE.

2: Show your broadside to the enemy in order to use your torps. Those torps are used for running away or to lob at a enemy as you pass by them. Never attempt to use them as a main weapon in a active firefight unless you are going to die anyways. In which case they will likely be the last thing you fire.

3: Close to within 10km of another enemy ship. You don't need to. If you do need to in order to hit a target, you need more practice plain and simple. You want to kite around and burn things to the ground.

4: Use AP further than 10km. The AP on the ship is good and it can citadel a broadsided cruiser at max range, but ultimately, you will want to stick with HE throughout the entire line and for the majority of the battles.

DO:

1: Stay at range, beyond 10km, and use HE to burn anything red.

2: Stay hidden until you can do so safely or at least until you know that you are not facing half the enemy team alone.

3: Angle your ships to incoming shells. The Armor on this thing is amazing for its tier but the sides (like all cruisers and ships in general) are the weak points.

4: Swing the ships rear only when you intend to fire the rear guns and then hide the rear guns when the enemy is going to fire. Typically, you can afford to keep the rear guns on target, but it is always safer to hide them in order to get as much of a angle as possible when the enemy shells hit you. Avoid giving the enemy a chance to get at your sides and you will bounce a heck of a lot more shells.

5: Use the ships rudder to get guns to target faster and take appropriate skills to aid in turret traverse and HE damage potential. These will greatly increase the ships damage potential. Use the rudder, use the module (even if it does add 5% to reload time), and get the captain skill to increase it further. This will make the slow turret traverse manageable.

6: Run from BB's and make sure you are as far from them as possible when you are firing your HE. You don't have to be close to them and you want to be able to avoid as many of their shells as you can. This requires distance and unlike the BB, you can afford to miss a few rounds... however unlikely.

Nice! Thanks!

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
2 hours ago, kukailimoku said:

Wow.

THIS!

Thanks you sir!

Remember your lessons learned with Myoko because it remains the same with the later tiers.  You simply get more capable ships, but it does get considerably more dangerous at High Tier (VIII-X) matches.  Turret traverse still is mediocre but it's not bad like Myoko.

You will like Mogami's concealment and gun options, i.e. 155mm or 203mm guns.  Keep in mind that if you decide to stick with 155mm, they demand a vastly different, more expensive captain build (IFHE is required).

The best is at Tier X with Zao.  You get lots of gun range with super fast flying shells.  I call these guns "Zao Lazorz."  You get 12km torpedo option.  Stealth is excellent, 9.7km or around that IIRC.  All the tricks you learned before, Zao gives you the best the line has to offer to carry them out.  In High Tier matches where range prowess is king, and controlling enemy vision of you is crucial to keep from getting deleted, Zao is easily one of the most comfortable High Tier ships in the game.  Play smart, remember your lessons with Myoko.  You can fight in confidence in open water and not be scared like USN Cruisers when they see they got no islands nearby.

I play my ships aggressively to a fault, I have IMO mediocre Survival % on my ships.  But Zao?  Her speed, concealment, and preference for intermediate to long range means even an aggressive player like me survives well with her.

That is what you can look forward to as you grind towards Tier X in this line.  Enjoy your time, because it only gets better and better.

If you like your IJN CAs that much, there's also Premium Tier VIII Atago.  One of the oldest Premium Ships in the game and still well regarded.  This is a good line, have fun with your stay.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[S0L0]
Members
32 posts

To add to the great advice, pick your shots rather than trying to maintain a high DPM.  You are a long-range sniper using HE, not a machine gum spamming HE like the Helena.  You have a long reload, so make every salvo count rather than trying to throw out a lot of rounds and getting fires through volume.  IJN CAs have a high fire chance, so as long as you aim well, you'll rack up that high HE alpha and set fires.  Wait until you're confident in the shot, then let it go.  With the longer reload, any missed salvo is that much more expensive in opportunity cost and exposure from the gun bloom.  Myoko is a great support cruiser to your BB battle line or backing up DDs and other cruisers.  One of my favorite T7 cruisers.  I bought it back for T7 play when I want to play long-range sniping/support.

• Cool 1

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,502 battles

Very good IJN cruiser and has both great HE and AP shells. Get at least a 10pt captain in her ASAP so you have concealment. It makes a big difference on your survival. Use those torps as you are sailing away from enemy so you don't show your broadside. I have the  four ARP Myokos and Southern Dragon which I just played the other day. I have them set up a little different with skills and upgrades just for some fun and diversity. I only play ships Tier 5 and lower in co-op due to cost of credits or when checking out a new ship in port.. Good for a low stress and quick battles when I'm just churning for the 100% XP wins. Mainly I play random and put up with the crap and stress. LOL! 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles

When I was a new player, it wasn't until I got to Colorado that you can indeed, have 4 fires raging on your ship at the same time.  It was a Myoko that taught me that lesson.  On top of all that, unlike German Cruisers, you also have high HE damage values to go with your high fire chance.  Even a mighty Tier IX BB will not be happy from all the fires Myoko can set, as well as the HE shell damage you rack up on them.

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
395 posts
5,158 battles

Staying at range early, constantly wiggling, and judicious use of torp for area denial. For the most part you will not rack up big damage early unless you get a bb after damage Control Party on fire or a torp connects. 

Early in the game you depend on your team. If the collapse you will be fighting a retreat. 

Learning when the battle has turned and you can push in and hunt dds that get demolished by the he and finishing off damaged cruisers and bbs. That’s where you rack up damage. 

• Cool 1