You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Madman7

Now we need DDs with Chaff

86 comments in this topic

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,050 posts

Well if folk want to change their primary load to chaff. Fire and then change their primary load to something that will inflict damage; far be it from me to stand in the way.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

All this chaff talk makes me think of illuminating rounds.

If we ever get night battles, I would love to see these used to light up the battlefield.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,454 posts
19,737 battles
22 hours ago, Lert said:

Yes! A counter to the counter to the counter that counters the counter!

Sounds like a kind of counter strike...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,775 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, Pasco08 said:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr We could just cap DD's at three a side because ya know 5 a side is getting a tad stupid. 

Only if battleships are similarly capped.

Cruisers will be fine once they aren't being shot at by 5-6 sets of high caliber guns at a time.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 1

Members
553 posts
8,256 battles
12 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Only if battleships are similarly capped.

Cruisers will be fine once they aren't being shot at by 5-6 sets of high caliber guns at a time.

Why cap BB's I wanna hear this logic. They are the one ship low skilled players can jump into and not get immediately crapon. 

Members
1,089 posts
2,379 battles
5 minutes ago, Pasco08 said:

Why cap BB's I wanna hear this logic. They are the one ship low skilled players can jump into and not get immediately crapon. 

Pretty much precisely because of that. It means that they're one of the most common ships...which battleships really shouldn't be, in the interest of balance. Too many BBs can ruin a match just as effectively as too many DDs, especially since they have a much larger threat radius at any given moment.

Besides that, if you limited the number of BBs, the number of DDs per match should theoretically decrease as well, because cruisers have fewer battleships to worry about and therefore cruiser population increases. Limiting only the number of DDs, on the other hand, encourages more battleship play.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,775 posts
3,895 battles
25 minutes ago, Pasco08 said:

If you don't know what it's like to be a cruiser, be spotted, and immediately be targeted and shot at by 5 or 6 battleships at the same time, then I don't know what to tell you.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,050 posts

Capital ships (Battleship or Carrier) 2 per team.

Cruiser 4 per team

Destroyer 6 per team. I know I know it should be 8 or more but were limited in team size.

Members
8 posts
6,107 battles

Radar doesn't bother at all any more. I sold all my lvl 10 DD's and bought all the lvl 10 CA's. The game is fun again. lol. It is a pity though that most DD mains seem to have done this.

Now I'm saving XP to get my lvl 10 BB's. BB's should also have radar by then. i can't wait for my lvl 10 BB with big main guns, help me hit something secondaries, torps and the instant skill button, radar.

I seriously don't know why I started playing WOW's with DD's. By the time I get to lvl. m10 Bb's, their concealment should be better than those of DD's as well. Perhaps a cloaking device of some sorts.

Members
8 posts
6,107 battles
49 minutes ago, Pasco08 said:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr We could just cap DD's at three a side because ya know 5 a side is getting a tad stupid. 

I must be playing at the worng times, cause in my games we're lucky if we have 2 a side.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Alpha Tester
7,056 posts
3,664 battles
17 minutes ago, SirStFrancisDrake said:

Radar doesn't bother at all any more. I sold all my lvl 10 DD's and bought all the lvl 10 CA's. The game is fun again. lol. It is a pity though that most DD mains seem to have done this.

Now I'm saving XP to get my lvl 10 BB's. BB's should also have radar by then. i can't wait for my lvl 10 BB with big main guns, help me hit something secondaries, torps and the instant skill button, radar.

I seriously don't know why I started playing WOW's with DD's. By the time I get to lvl. m10 Bb's, their concealment should be better than those of DD's as well. Perhaps a cloaking device of some sorts.

I believe your math is a little faulty.

Tiers 8-10 contain more DDs and BBs than Cruisers. Shockingly, despite radar. That probably has to do with Tiers 8 and 9 being a black whole, traditionally for the Cruiser lines.

I fail to understand how a Cruiser main like myself, can jumo in my Beson and never have much problem with radar, but all the DD experts on the forums that are vocal about radar get absolutely destroyed by it.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,583 battles
1 hour ago, Madwolf05 said:

I believe your math is a little faulty.

Tiers 8-10 contain more DDs and BBs than Cruisers. Shockingly, despite radar. That probably has to do with Tiers 8 and 9 being a black whole, traditionally for the Cruiser lines.

I fail to understand how a Cruiser main like myself, can jumo in my Beson and never have much problem with radar, but all the DD experts on the forums that are vocal about radar get absolutely destroyed by it.

The "Battles Played" at Tier X line up with this.

wjisqc1.jpg

It's nice to see the Cruisers right in the middle of the pack of hierarchy in "Battles Played," until you realize their numbers are actually markedly lower.  ALL the Tier X BBs are played way more than the Tier X Cruisers except DM.  We're taking at least 10k on average more than the Cruisers.  DDs as a whole are lower but the leaders for them, Shimakaze and Gearing, see a huge amount of action.  Z-52, Khabarovsk, Grozovoi see minimal action.  Both CVs are practically extinct.  It all still conforms to the idea that people for most parts rather bring their Battleship to Tier X.  All 3 BBs see very heavy use, all are seeing 30k+ Battles in 2 week span.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
458 posts

Chaff was dropped by planes during WW2, so adding it to a ship doesn't make a ton of sense from a historical perspective. Maybe it could be a plane-based consumable, sort of like a Catapult Fighter or Spotter Plane. I'm no fan of being spotted by radar, but I doubt that I'd take a valuable consumable slot for a Chaff Plane. 

A number of posts in this thread have focused on ways to tweak radar. What about treating radar like a module that could be knocked out or temporarily incapacitated? Fire-control systems and radar were mounted on the superstructure of ships, and most certainly could be knocked out (the Blücher had its range finder knocked out during the Battle of Drøbak Sound). WoW can already handle modules being knocked out (e.g. AA) and guns/torpedoes/engines being incapacitated, and guns/torpedoes already have a timer associated with them (for reload) just as radar does. Maybe give radar a pretty decent armor value so that it's not immediately knocked out, but not to the extent of gun armor. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,740 posts
2,409 battles

Um, radar isn't confused by islands in game, so why would it be confused by chaff?

But, if you give Harpoons to the MO and IA, then maybe chaff could be equipped on all ships.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,740 posts
2,409 battles
2 hours ago, AraAragami said:

If you don't know what it's like to be a cruiser, be spotted, and immediately be targeted and shot at by 5 or 6 battleships at the same time, then I don't know what to tell you.

This. Playing a cruiser in a BB heavy match, unless they're all idiots, is not fun.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,775 posts
3,895 battles
11 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

or just stop playing water cockroaches 

So what insulting term do we use to refer to battleships?

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
On 8/27/2017 at 10:13 AM, Cobia_38 said:

Just fix the line of light and radar is fine

Always with the asking for radar redesigns.

You don't really want always on unlimited range radar, neither do I. Even if it's blocked by islands.  It's fine as is.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,775 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, Grizley said:

Always with the asking for radar redesigns.

You don't really want always on unlimited range radar, neither do I. Even if it's blocked by islands.  It's fine as is.

You always apply this assumption that it MUST be always-on if it takes land masses into account, which is a fallacy you're using to oppose the idea of fixing the damn mechanic.

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts
2 hours ago, Quaffer said:

Capital ships (Battleship or Carrier) 2 per team.

Cruiser 4 per team

Destroyer 6 per team. I know I know it should be 8 or more but were limited in team size.

I'm fine with 6 dds a match if you nerf their invisibility, matrix-esque mobility and the ability to laugh off battleship caliber shells.  go for it WG!  

Edited by OstwindFlakpanzer

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
2 hours ago, SirStFrancisDrake said:

That isn't at all the case. I see far more DD than CA at T10.   So your "solution" is not a common one to say the least. It's safe to say that far more cruisers sell their cruisers and play destroyers because of the T10 game.

There is a lot of crying about ready from a small vocal minority, but it's still much easier to play a DD than a cruiser.  

• Cool 1

Members
553 posts
8,256 battles
2 hours ago, AraAragami said:

I do know what its like to be a Cruiser, They are my most played class and the Des Moines is my most played ship period. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 minute ago, AraAragami said:

You always apply this assumption that it MUST be always-on if it takes land masses into account, which is a fallacy you're using to oppose the idea of fixing the damn mechanic.

No, you're ignoring the fact that making radar blocked by islands would just be an unnecessary nerf.  If your argument is based on realism, fine.  Then in the redesign it can be made more realistic. Blocked by islands, always on, unlimited range.

Or, we can have the balanced but abstract version we have now.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
3 hours ago, Izolyn said:

Pretty much precisely because of that. It means that they're one of the most common ships...which battleships really shouldn't be, in the interest of balance. Too many BBs can ruin a match just as effectively as too many DDs, especially since they have a much larger threat radius at any given moment.

Besides that, if you limited the number of BBs, the number of DDs per match should theoretically decrease as well, because cruisers have fewer battleships to worry about and therefore cruiser population increases. Limiting only the number of DDs, on the other hand, encourages more battleship play.

A DD has an area of threat of maybe 8-12km depending on the DD, a BB has a threat range of some 20-25km.  That's a pretty huge difference.  As far as area of ocean covered that's something like 5-7 times the area covered.