You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Madman7

Now we need DDs with Chaff

86 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,269 battles

Since every new set of ships has some gimmick that makes them different... the next one should be DDs that have Chaff clouds that disrupt Radar...  Of course, to balance it, the DDs would have to choose between regular smoke and chaff. 

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles

Yes! A counter to the counter to the counter that counters the counter!

• Cool 8

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,703 posts
11,317 battles

Meh. Rather just see a fix to radar. It should require line of sight then I think it would be ok.

• Cool 2

[BOTES]
Members
1,890 posts
6,605 battles

With all the high tiers running radar mods now that it's in slot 4, I would love some chaff. 35 second VMF radar and 50 second USN radar, now with extreme range buffs? Absolute [edited].

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 2

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,269 battles

My issue is not with the radar ability, that is actually cool. The issue I have is with the length of some radars...  

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,269 battles

Radar may be fine... but having chaff just adds another dynamic to the fight...   

It's all about "Options" *

*Fun and engaging.....  

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,237 battles
11 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

With all the high tiers running radar mods now that it's in slot 4, I would love some chaff. 35 second VMF radar and 50 second USN radar, now with extreme range buffs? Absolute [edited].

When I pop radar now, with the extended duration upgrade, I feel like I'm scattering cockroaches with a spotlight... for almost a whole minute. 

Radar is pretty broken now with that module. 

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
15 minutes ago, Cobia_38 said:

Just fix the line of light and radar is fine

*sight
And it's been said by the developers several times that this can't be done in the current game engine, so don't expect it any time soon. 

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles

Besides the quantity of ships that now have radar (along with concealment buffs), radar ranges (which may be about to become extended in more complex fashion - arguably too complex), seeing trough islands, etc. , is how radar isn't reliably and remotely equalized or evenly distributed between teams.  Some teams will get 2, 3 or even 5 radar ships while the other team gets less, maybe only one or none at all.  

Radar is broken and I've not seen any true indications that they're going to actually fix it - for real.  I believe more likely they will make it worse because... well we should know why. We don't need to go into that again. 

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I don't think I've heard this one yet, but there have been suggestions about some sort of radar jamming device.

I like to see suggestions on anything because 1 crazy idea could send you along the path to a spectacular idea.

I don't have a problem with counters, as long as they're as balanced as they can be. I think we all know some sort of change is preferable to what we have now with radar.

I just worry about so many gimmicks entering the game. At some point (if not already), it's gonna be gobs of s**t everywhere.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles

I'd like to see Radar work as self-only instead of lighting up something for the whole team to shoot at.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
4,948 posts
8,094 battles

Give up your stealth build first.

Then radar can be adjusted.

Frankly this debate is just going to go in circles. Without a multi-forum outrage like with GZ and dropping iChase, it'll be another "please change radar" thread.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles
Just now, Wulfgarn said:

I don't have a problem with counters, as long as they're as balanced as they can be. I think we all know some sort of change is preferable to what we have now with radar.

Part of the problem is that cruisers don't have the proper tool kit to hunt DDs'.  DDs are stealthier and faster, so if a cruiser doesn't have a DD to spot the enemy DD for him, the cruiser is very little threat to the DD in most situations.  Self only radar with longer range and duration would help.  That gives the cruiser captain a tool to do his job with, without allowing one guy to position somewhere safe, turn on radar and make no-go zones for DD players.  I feel like if the cruiser captain can use radar and bullseye a maneuvering DD at longer range, the cruiser captain deserves his kills.  If the DD captain is sitting still in smoke and get hammered by a cruiser from range, the DD deserves the death.

This idea would help tone down smoke cruisers too, without making them useless due to BB deletes.  Ships like the Indianapolis could wreck Belfasts in smoke from longer range, and make their lives a bit more miserable.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,436 posts
6,631 battles

Chaff would only make sense of German CVs could equip their planes with radar (not wire) guided bombs. That seems to me to be a very unlikely possibility, but also a very unuique circumstance to introduce a game wide mechanic.

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Have been suggesting jamming (counter-measures) sine radar first showed up. Had a battle this morning  with one side having five radar ships, our side none. I was in a Shim and almost half the game had me detected by radar. Impossible imbalance in that situation.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,871 posts
10,411 battles

It's far to situational considering there aren't that many tier 10 cruisers in each game. Although if DDs get an ability like this, then cruisers get a laser that shoots all torps out of the water.

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,264 posts
7,711 battles

If they were to implement a counter measure to the counter measure, it'd probably have a matching duration to the measure it's trying to counter. Would you really trade your smoke that's universally useful for the team so you had a 40s immunity to radar when it situationally popped up?

[CUTE]
Members
5,151 posts
3,430 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Yes! A counter to the counter to the counter that counters the counter!

My counter can beat up your counter.

[K-P-M]
Members
1,597 posts
12,632 battles
1 hour ago, Madman7 said:

Radar may be fine... but having chaff just adds another dynamic to the fight...   

It's all about "Options" *

*Fun and engaging.....  

No options needed,Adapt,Improvise,Overcome:cap_tea:

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,540 posts
13,992 battles

A counter to the counter that was specifically implemented to counter stealth?

This kind of thing is aimed squarely at USN Cruisers.  RU Radar is too short in duration.  It is USN Radar that has the duration and I know what you guys are complaining about.  One of the few good things about these torpedo-less USN Cruisers is that utility of good Radar.  If that gets taken away because it will not be countered, I'd demand some big compensation for USN Cruisers for the loss of a useful ability.

So how will that leave, for example, Des Moines?  A Cruiser with very floaty shells with 0 torpedoes, and it's "ace" of Radar being countered now?

Really?

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[DD214]
Members
757 posts
16 minutes ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

It's far to situational considering there aren't that many tier 10 cruisers in each game. Although if DDs get an ability like this, then cruisers get a laser that shoots all torps out of the water.

It's not just T10 cruisers, many T8 and T9 cruisers  have them, plus the MO, the Belfast and the Black.