You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HBZK100

Should CVs Get Special Abilities?

23 comments in this topic

Members
1,455 posts
2,083 battles

So if WarGaming still isn't implementing their new CV rework yet, then would it perhaps be a good idea as a in between (temporary) idea to give CVs a few special ability for their aircraft? A few come to mind:

1. "Adrenaline Rush": Adds 50% more HP to USN fighters. This would balance out dogfights between IJN and USN CVs. (I'm thinking Essex)

2. "Nitrous": Adds 20% more speed to IJN bombers, allowing them to exit the AA bubbles faster without loosing too many planes. (Taiho and Hakuryu)

3. "Steath": 50% Reduction to detection of USN bombers. (Specific to Strike Lexington)

These are merely examples. They would work like regular consumables, so you can't just enable these whenever you want.

Edited by HBZK100

[DHO-2]
Alpha Tester
656 posts
1,550 battles

Too many would want kamakaze, which would could the BB crowd to be up-in-arms.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
1 minute ago, gbgentry said:

Too many would want kamakaze, which would could the BB crowd to be up-in-arms.

I am a BB main and I would love this as long as only fighters could do it

Edited by skull_122_steel
I suck at spelling

[-VT3-]
Members
1,613 posts
3,346 battles
2 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

I am a BB main and I would love this as long as only fighters could do it

I think this would be awesome, personally.  It'd be a way for carriers who've run out of strike capability to stay in the fight; sacrifice a squad of fighters entirely, in exchange for what amounts to a very precise dive-bombing drop.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
Just now, DerKrampus said:

I think this would be awesome, personally.  It'd be a way for carriers who've run out of strike capability to stay in the fight; sacrifice a squad of fighters entirely, in exchange for what amounts to a very precise dive-bombing drop.

my question is will both the USN and IJN get it or will it only be IJN be cause AS bouge will have some fun with it

[HINON]
Supertester
18,991 posts
12,488 battles

They already have a special ability: to scout and attack any point on the map from any other point on the map without fear of reprisal.

• Cool 6

Members
1,455 posts
2,083 battles

Kamikaze???? Uh hmmmm.... I personally vote against that as it's a very weird mechanic to put in WoWs in my opinion.

I'd rather see strafing on ships if you MUST give fighters some sort of striking power.

Edited by HBZK100

[-VT3-]
Members
1,613 posts
3,346 battles
2 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

my question is will both the USN and IJN get it or will it only be IJN be cause AS bouge will have some fun with it

I think it would have to be a case-by-case sort of thing.  Enterprise, for example, would be able to use it far too freely with its huge belly full of fighters.  

Members
1,455 posts
2,083 battles
1 minute ago, DerKrampus said:

I think it would have to be a case-by-case sort of thing.  Enterprise, for example, would be able to use it far too freely with its huge belly full of fighters.  

LOL Same for Midway.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,747 posts
11,365 battles

Is launching and receiving planes for strikes and scouting not a special ability? Or captain skills that only apply to planes?

[-VT3-]
Members
1,613 posts
3,346 battles
2 minutes ago, HBZK100 said:

LOL Same for Midway.

Perhaps it wouldn't be available until all strike options have been exhausted.  That would prevent people from just suiciding their fighters right away, and would historically match Kamikaze's origins as a desperation tactic.

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
293 posts

Fighters should be able to strafe ships.  It wouldn't do much but it would knock out AA guns and maybe light a couple fires.  It would be a useful mechanic if you have no bombers left.  A carrier with just fighters is virtually useless once the enemy CV is dead. Strafing fire would give them at least something.

• Cool 2

Members
1,455 posts
2,083 battles
2 minutes ago, Vulgarr said:

Fighters should be able to strafe ships.  It wouldn't do much but it would knock out AA guns and maybe light a couple fires.  It would be a useful mechanic if you have no bombers left.  A carrier with just fighters is virtually useless once the enemy CV is dead. Strafing fire would give them at least something.

LOL just make sure to turn off chat before you start strafing. ;) ;) ;)

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
293 posts
1 minute ago, HBZK100 said:

LOL just make sure to turn off chat before you start strafing. ;) ;) ;)

LOL Oh you mean that text cancer that I virtually ignore anyway? Noted. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,455 posts
2,083 battles
Just now, _Bunyan_ said:

What about having hull repair over defensive fire?

No. Makes zero sense for a CV. Any repair ability should go to refreshing aircraft reserves.

If your being hit with guns your already dead.

[-CHH-]
Members
89 posts
3,952 battles
19 minutes ago, Lert said:

They already have a special ability: to scout and attack any point on the map from any other point on the map without fear of reprisal.

This is exactly what I came here to say.  Funny, how I am not the only one...

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

Agreed. OP, that is the special ability that all CVs have. Nice idea, however, the CV haters will be piling on you here soon (if not already).

Members
1,455 posts
2,083 battles

Actually I'll comment on that really quickly:

Scouting is actually incredibly annoying as a CV pilot. Specifically what I mean is the AA bubbles vs the detection bubbles. Fighters seem to always be in AA range whenever they detect cruisers or destroyers (destoryers I'll pass on but cruisers...). So if I scout for too long I loose a good chunk of airplanes.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,837 battles

The only cruisers that can shoot you with out fear of being spotted are the Royal Navy Neptune and Minotaur. So scouting is a good thing to do and not that hard to pull off. Likewise the can hit anywhere with out reprisal, I don't see shells getting shot down nor do I see limited ammunition for main caliper guns. Aircraft being able to be shot down by it's self isn't going to make or break an aircraft carrier game above tier 5. But it can get frustrating when your offensive power can be neutralized by passive defenses, rewarding the target in the possess. 

Although I do like the idea of more specialized aircraft or aircraft centered abilities on carriers. But I don't see a good implementation for them. 

[KENT]
Members
481 posts
3,042 battles

>1. "Adrenaline Rush": Adds 50% more HP to USN fighters. This would balance out dogfights between IJN and USN CVs. (I'm thinking Essex)

wth.  USN is worse at dogfighting now?  I thought IJN was the strike and USN was the AS?

Members
2,420 posts
5,426 battles

I wasa thinking that with those air fields on some maps the CV driver could land and resupply if they choose.  What if there are two CV's per side..they could still share that one field.  UNLESS that airfield was on FIRE!    Whadda ya think? 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,386 posts
7,979 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Mostly this, but I will agree AA is a pain namely at tier 8+ to scout. and those ones suggested.... just no. USN has the better fighters, I'd have to go look if IJN even used boosts but either way all they need is to be balanced. Balanced fighters, balanced loadouts, different styles how they do damage and all. It's why I can see the flaws in GZ, would love to test it first hand to be more exact ideas to fix it, but I want GZ to keep 2,0,3 and be more a DD hunter, USN more a hybrid that it DD hunt's but more direct ability vs BB, and IJN as more a BB hunter. We just need the rest balanced.