You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Carninath

Premium Ships

23 comments in this topic

Members
25 posts
2,403 battles

If I buy a Tier 7 Premium ship, but I do not have any Tier 7 ships or to that level do I get to still play it?

[5D]
Members
1,211 posts
7,091 battles

You can play it.

However it would be very wise to level naturally first as that would better teach you how to handle yourself at that tier.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,159 posts
8,772 battles

If the premium is more than a tier or two higher than your highest I would suggest playing it only in co-op until you get more experience.

Members
1,015 posts
12,905 battles

Well if you don't mind the salt thrown your way in chat from team mates for being such an inexperienced player with a high tier ship then of course go for it.

Your getting blown out of the water early in a game does little for your team and many players take this "game" more seriously than it's probably good for them.

The ship whatever it is will not make the captain. In most cases it's the captain that makes the ship. Don't do the ship an injustice by getting it before you are ready for it.

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,292 battles

there was a time in the past, where everyone bought a Tier 8 Tirpitz, when many had not reached that tier in the normal grind. As a result, the Tirpitz gained a bad reputation, horrible winrate, and became known as the Derpitz.

As the others have said, if you get a ship in a tier you have not yet reached, take her into Co-Op, get used to her handling, how she plays before going anywhere near Random. Random is a much different animal then Co-Op and can be very unforgiving at times to a player how can't handle his ship.

[HELLS]
Members
1,688 posts
15,246 battles

Start low tier. If you have not reached T5, Smith or Tachibana are good options, as is Campbeltown. Ishizuchi at T4 is an excellent BB captain trainer for the IJN line. My 1st premium was a T5 Texas, gifted by a player friend when I was grinding New Mexico. I bought Warspite when she came out and suffered because of my lack of T6 play experience and it still shows in my stats for that ship after more than 400 games. Using her as a trainer to get RN captains to 10 points before the RN cruiser line came out and it paid huge dividends when I ground up the entire RN CL line. Any premium pays more credits than a tech tree ship in most cases and can be used to train captains a lot quicker, especially with bonus flags.Depends which line you wish to grind and what you can afford to pay. Don't sneer at the low tier premiums, they can be a lot of fun to play.

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

You could. But I don't recommend it. Buying a high tier ship without having learned the low tier lessons is usually a disaster. I wouldn't buy a ship higher than your best tech tree ship.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

what the others have said is more or less right but I have a slightly different code when buying premiums ships level a ship class to the tier of the premium for instance if I wanted the atago I would need to get a tier VIII cruiser in the tech tree but if i'm really comfortable with the class I could get it one tier higher for instance if I wanted a Tirpitz but I Only have the colorado I could get t if I wanted.

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

Buy what you want.  It's your money and your time.  I did buy my 1st tier 6 Premium when my highest 'earned' ship was a tier 5.  I played it in co-op and Scenarios til I caught up a bit.  Do what you want.  Have fun It is just a game, not life!

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,107 posts
18,631 battles

Depend on the T7 ship you want to buy. While the Scharnhorst is very forgiving I wouldn't say this about the Saipan, Kaga and Atlanta. Even the Sims or Blys are ok but you suffer without a 10 point captain and no idea how to play. Yes you can buy any ship but you may do a few testdrives with the ship in co op and may watch some clips. At lower tiers it's ok to make a mistake but at T7+ people expect that you have a basic idea. Not that it prevent many people taking their T10 out even they should learn more basics in T1 co op. If WG didn't messed up the T5/6 MM I would recommend the Texas or Arizona. Also fun for a few $$: König Albert. T3 that teaches you aboit what to do and what not with a BB.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,092 posts
9,188 battles
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, Carninath said:

If I buy a Tier 7 Premium ship, but I do not have any Tier 7 ships or to that level do I get to still play it?

Yes you can play it right away.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
On 8/27/2017 at 8:27 AM, Carninath said:

I looked up to see your stats to gage your experience with the game and what you intend to do.

For PVE, which is what you've been doing, sure, go ahead.

For PVP, which you haven't tried yet, I would not jump to Tier VII when your highest tiered ship is Tier IV and having no PVP experience.

Members
3,634 posts
13,443 battles
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, FireAndHEspam said:

Yes you would, but I don't recommend buying a premium ship thats a higher tier then you max tech tree ship

This ^. I bought my 1st Premium ship, Atlanta, when I had just hit Tier 5 on the US Cruiser tree after less than a month in game. (Nov/15) It was a disaster, even in Co-Op. Plus Atlanta's a hard ship to master anyway. I docked 'Lanta until I got more in-game experience.

1 minute ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

get the scharnhorst if you're gonna do it!   

There it is! With Scharnie you don't need any other Tier 7!  :cap_rambo::cap_like::cap_win:

• Cool 1

[RESP]
Beta Testers
883 posts
7,094 battles

Wanted to add more to this, but all the previous posters already covered everything that needed to be mentioned.  Please take their advice and avoid the wallet warrior moniker.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
On 8/27/2017 at 0:04 PM, Lord_Slayer said:

there was a time in the past, where everyone bought a Tier 8 Tirpitz, when many had not reached that tier in the normal grind. As a result, the Tirpitz gained a bad reputation, horrible winrate, and became known as the Derpitz.

It's still going on. Tirpitz is a better-than-average ship, but you'd never know it from the winrate. The really popular premiums I see in game can be very effective, but sometimes are ineffective because of the new player running it.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
10 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

This ^. I bought my 1st Premium ship, Atlanta, when I had just hit Tier 5 on the US Cruiser tree after less than a month in game. (Nov/15) It was a disaster, even in Co-Op. Plus Atlanta's a hard ship to master anyway. I docked 'Lanta until I got more in-game experience.

Atlanta can be a big problem for opponents if played right.  But if I see one sailing broadside in the open....

Members
3,634 posts
13,443 battles
Just now, Seadog_Supreme said:

Atlanta can be a big problem for opponents if played right.  But if I see one sailing broadside in the open....

LOL! You and everyone else! And Atlanta doesn't have to be sailing broadside to get hammered.

[WYRN]
Beta Testers
104 posts
8,605 battles

Buy and play what you want.  There is no need to make others happy by first grinding to a tier.  Maybe they just dont have extra money.  Also all ships are not always available so when you see one you like ...buy it.

Members
17,779 posts
5,084 battles
40 minutes ago, Bikk said:

Buy and play what you want.  There is no need to make others happy by first grinding to a tier.  Maybe they just dont have extra money.  Also all ships are not always available so when you see one you like ...buy it.

Exactly. Although it isn't so much about making others happy, as avoiding frustration.

But nothing says you can't buy the ship, play a few games, then shelve it for awhile if you find the higher tier gameplay out of your league.

• Cool 1

[ONAVY]
Members
147 posts
13,251 battles
On 8/27/2017 at 9:34 AM, FireAndHEspam said:

Yes you would, but I don't recommend buying a premium ship thats a higher tier then you max tech tree ship

+1 .... It's best to only get a premium at a level you can perform well at. It hurts the team when someone shows up in Random on a ship they aren't quite up to speed on. If you must, then at least do your shakedown cruises in co-op.

A lot of good teamwork happens before one hits the "battle" button.

Das Bat

[CDMX]
Members
94 posts
5,085 battles
On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, Carninath said:

yes.

But to add some contribution to the discussion I would say that the question is that you may not know how the ship will perform before you buy it.

There are many reasons to don't buy a ship in a tier, nation or type that you are not used to.  Maybe to have a better results in PVP as a player that already learnt about the game. Maybe to avoid toxic chat. Maybe to be pleased and be pleased your teammates. Yes, a bit of everything.

But IMHO the major bonus of play the tech tree and then make a purchase of ships of similar tier, nation and type is that you have a better chance to make a good acquisition. It does not apply for collections though.

For instance, I do not use to play CV. I would love to have the Enterprise. I don't pick it. I would not know how to play it. For fun on PVE? I will get bored soon. The same goes for Belfast, a excellent ship. I would have a terrible time , because I don't know nothing about RN CL. And so on.

Of course, one can buy a high tier ship and learn from the scratch. But a I think that the tech tree progression is the way to go to learning about the game mechanics.

Best Regards.

Edited by Rodrigo_Godoy