Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SparvieroVV

Missiles won't be happening.

37 comments in this topic

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/56433-discussion-thread-for-some-interesting-info-from-ru/?do=findComment&comment=2011974

stolen from here where other sources are stated. 

17) (22:37) New weapon type we tested were missiles. They were really really great, but not for this game. You'd have followed a single shot missile and steered it into the target. It was super fun, but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too strong. It's just not a feature that is suitable for this game. We also tried an unguided variant, but that was just boring, it was just like normal shooting but slower with more damage. :cap_wander:

Was kind of hoping for a crew crew command staff. Oh well no engineer to scream at. 

• Cool 2

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Some pretty interesting stuff there. I'm intrigued by the missile concept not working, as my guess was gonna be dumb fire missiles, not player controlled ones.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,207 battles

The trouble with unguided missiles is they are really slow - like 700 knots. That sounds really fast, but it isn't. 700 knots (nautical miles per hour) only equally 360.2 meters pet second. It's about half the speed of a shell from a 5"/38 on a USN DD.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,415 posts
3,410 battles
30 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

It's very similar to Armored Warfare's guided missile; except theirs required you guide it by intuition since you couldn't trail the missile. Basically, you can steer it, but it gets harder at long range.

11 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Some pretty interesting stuff there. I'm intrigued by the missile concept not working, as my guess was gonna be dumb fire missiles, not player controlled ones.

WG did state they were originally considering a guided-missile destroyer for the T10 of the Pan Asian line.  Then there's their last 3 cruise missile DDs they haven't released, which would more likely make use of the dumb-fire missile mechanic and just be an oversized, low-RoF, and slow-traveling HE "shell" with high fire-chance.

Edited by YamatoA150

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
3 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

WG did state they were originally considering a guided-missile destroyer for the T10 of the Pan Asian line.  Then there's their last 3 cruise missile DDs they haven't released, which would more likely make use of the dumb-fire missile mechanic and just be an oversized, low-RoF, and slow-traveling HE "shell".

Yeah, I was figuring that it would be just in basic, a slow flying shell with big damage.

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

I figured this is how the missiles worked when I saw the WoT Blitz event video.

I'm just glad they avoided the one hit wonder missile. Although they seem to think mines can happen now.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,828 battles
1 hour ago, SparvieroVV said:

It was super fun, but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too strong.

they sank our precious radar ships much too quickly

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles

Got to admit, surprised by this, but i can see the rationale behind it. Manually guided make splayer skill relevant, which i think we all agree was the issue with the idea of missiles. But i can also see why it would have issued. WoWS isnl;t fast paced enough to make it really hard.

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

If I got the timer right this is how they work in the WoT Blitz tablet game. At the 12 minute mark.

On the one hand wonderful for dealing with island campers on the other a one hit wonder is like a rogue instagib. Only fun and engaging for the attacker.

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,699 battles

Rather than relieved its not happening I'm disappointed they actually thought it might be a good idea :fish_palm:

• Cool 2

Members
2,879 posts
1,365 battles

Good god, Cruise missiles in WOWS?  Dear god, what comes next?  A Russian line exclusive Kirov class missile cruiser? 

Thank god they decided not to add those.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

Well I would keep an eye on warthunder's dip into the Cold War era units. I don't think WG's game engine really compliments turning this into a Harpoon game. However the money will talk. 

Members
2,879 posts
1,365 battles
12 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

Well I would keep an eye on warthunder's dip into the Cold War era units. I don't think WG's game engine really compliments turning this into a Harpoon game. However the money will talk. 

They want a "Cold War" naval game, make one, im sure WG has enough money.  BUt adding cold war tech into this game as it is?  It will be like adding a LMG, Sniper, and an M1 Abrams tank mount into Everquest....

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles
15 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

WT already has ATGM platforms. They're generally not fun to play against. It's good that missiles aren't being added to this game.

Members
417 posts
12,490 battles

Sounds like they would have either been like the TOW missile from Battlefield games, or the TV guided missile from the Battlefield games. Both guided, just from different viewpoints.

OR

Just another shell type.

Kinda glad these aren't making it into the game.

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
237 posts
5,352 battles

I've been saying this for awhile, but I still think they should add missile boates... as an April Fools fun mode. I wanna launch Tomahawks off the USS New Jersey :etc_red_button:

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

@Flashtirade

I had heard the atgm was unpopular. However looks like they kept down that road. 

@Slayer_Jesse

indeed an April fools return to the land of rubber duckies, giant tubs and slippery soap missiles.  

Wait, what?

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles
2 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

Good god, Cruise missiles in WOWS?  Dear god, what comes next?  A Russian line exclusive Kirov class missile cruiser? 

Thank god they decided not to add those.

Land based Bear squadrons firing nuclear cruise missiles as a substitute CV...one that cannot be sunk...for the Russians.

Alpha Tester
2,282 posts
4,358 battles

from the World of Warships site....

The World of Warships fleet features over 200 ships, dating back to the First and Second World Wars. Put on your commander's cap, find out which warship type suits you best, and amass a navy of your own.

Seriously..  are there not other things that could be fixed rather than barfing around with guided missiles?  like fixing carriers or maybe releasing finished ones?

M

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles
2 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

from the World of Warships site....

The World of Warships fleet features over 200 ships, dating back to the First and Second World Wars. Put on your commander's cap, find out which warship type suits you best, and amass a navy of your own.

Seriously..  are there not other things that could be fixed rather than barfing around with guided missiles?  like fixing carriers or maybe releasing finished ones?

M

Content must be considered for the mother server first above all others. Hence 3rd Russian DD line and IFHE changes ahead of looking at issues other servers find pressing. :Smile-_tongue:

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,207 battles

There are way too many people kvetching about WG wanting to test missiles. It's a logical thing to consider. In the entire history of mankind, ship mounted weapon has basically come in 3 main flavors.

The ram, the gun, and the missile. Pretty much everything else, with a very few exceptions, was some form of man portable weapon that was just used on a boat instead of on land. It's not unreasonable, or even unexpected for missiles to have been experimented with - especially when the tail end ships in the game are already ships that lasted well into the age of guided missiles.

It is less important to be upset about missiles being tested/played with than it is to be happy that they decided not to implement something that wasn't working at all.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this