You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Spooooooooooooooooooooon

Ship's Bell Location

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,844 battles

I've been looking at the video just released of the USS Indianapolis wreck.  As the ROV moves around the ship they eventually run across the ship's bell.  

Where would this bell have been located on the ship?  Open deck area or inside?

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

Assuming WG modeled it correctly, on a mid level of the bridge tower.

It would have been painted grey (like everything else shiny) during wartime, however.

shot-17.08.27_09.17.55-0872.jpg

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,844 battles
12 minutes ago, _Luna said:

Assuming WG modeled it correctly, on a mid level of the bridge tower.

It would have been painted grey (like everything else shiny) during wartime, however.

shot-17.08.27_09.17.55-0872.jpg

Wow good catch.  That answers my question exactly

2017-08-19-Bell-01-reduced-e1503175456377.jpg

Edited by Spooooooooooooooooooooon

[WOLF6]
Members
661 posts
3,561 battles

The ships bell has a specific location required by maritime rules.   In this case it is located towards the forward part of the ship.   There is a gong required on vessels longer than 100 meters located in the after part of the ship.

when anchored in low visibility a ship is supposed to sound its bell, followed immediately by the gong.

i remember the first time I was anchored in San Diego harbor off shelter island and the marine layer moved in so I ordered the boatswain's mate to sound the bell and gong signals.   Boats grabbed his messenger and sent him up to the bell and I listened to the instructions he gave.   "You know that bell you're not supposed to ring.  Go up to the forecastle and ring the bell every minute for 5 seconds. You're not going to get in trouble with chief."   The messenger was clearly apprehensive about ringing the bell because I guess the sailors were under pain of death from ever ringing the bell.

the same was for the after lookout who was supposed to ring the gong for 5 seconds after hearing the bell.   boats had to tell him he wasn't going to get in trouble for ringing the gong that night.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,844 battles

I find the naval traditions fascinating.  I spent many years in the Army and there just doesn't seem to be the same amount of ceremonial tradition in day to day Army life.  Sure we had traditions at Taps, Reveille, etc. but not to the extent that the navy seems to.

Alpha Tester
2,280 posts
4,354 battles
5 hours ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I find the naval traditions fascinating.  I spent many years in the Army and there just doesn't seem to be the same amount of ceremonial tradition in day to day Army life.  Sure we had traditions at Taps, Reveille, etc. but not to the extent that the navy seems to.

heres a couple from the Royal Navy regarding the bell.

1)  Midnight on New years Eve..  Bell is run 16 times..  8 bells for the end of the watch and 8 for the end of the year

2)  When a sailor dies aboard ship, 8 bells is rung meaning end of watch.

EDIT:-    almost forgot.. even at sea the RN rings 8 bells at Midday every day no matter what and has done since the days of sail  and that tradition continues on many Civilian Ships as well..  from experience I can confirm that Cunards ships ring 8 bells at midday every day.

M

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
471 posts
2,382 battles

USS Churchill's bell is rather plain.  But it is located on the front of the superstructure behind the VLS.

RZn63SV.jpg

afavrYc.jpg

[REVY]
Members
935 posts
7,286 battles
On 8/28/2017 at 8:54 AM, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Is the turret on the Churchill armored?  Or is it mostly weather/splinter shielding?

honestly nothing is truly armored anymore on warships. I think the turret is covered in sheet metal to protect from weather and maybe splinters.