Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Cost of adequate gaming PC?

29 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles

Just curious what kind of PCs would run WOWs and how long of a shelf life would it have in running WOWs?

Also wondering about cost of the hardware?

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,304 battles

You can run wiht a decentg laptop.

When my older rig was having issues in May I opted to have one built on-line by CyberPower (good company).

I am not handy to buy the parts and build it myself (saves some money), so I use their configurator and got a nice Win10  tower with a GTX1090, i7-7700, plenty of ram, water-cooling (first time on this for me and works well), and a 600w power supply. Bought one SSD and used my previous hard drives (bought external cases for the internal HD in Amazon).

Works very well for gaming plus my hi-res photography demands and storage, for about $1400 US.

Note: I change them every 4 years or so.

Edited by alexf24

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

https://pcpartpicker.com/ Is a good site to find the parts :)

I do not know the exact requirements, but I know you don't need much for WoWS. Perhaps someone else can help you with that.

I just finished my first PC build and it isn't that difficult. Just make sure the parts belong with each other, and pcpartpicker does most of that already.

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,878 battles

I built my own.  Local electronics place has weekly 'specials'.  So I gathered the parts over a short period of time (month or two) and maybe have $800 at most in it.  I may get a better graphics card as I bought that to use in an old PC just to start playing.  Typically you can get a CPU/motherboard combo at a decent price.  Get the best memory you can afford.  Same with the graphics card.  You don't need to go 1080 Ti, but get the best you can afford.  With the recent release of Threadripper and Ryzen, the older FX series processors can be had CHEAP. 

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,878 battles
10 minutes ago, joris92 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/ Is a good site to find the parts :)

I do not know the exact requirements, but I know you don't need much for WoWS. Perhaps someone else can help you with that.

System requirements (not that high a hurdle to cross on a budget)

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=7995&game=World of Warships

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/system-requirements/

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,858 battles

I have a computer at work and a computer at home.  Each year I upgrade one of them, just the box as I use the same monitors.  I spend about $1500 typically.  Give the oldest one to one of my kids, my wife, or one of my employees.

$1500 typically gets you a very solid box for gaming.

If I need to skip a year for whatever reason I spend about $500 and upgrade the vidcard on the newest system.  That buys me another year.

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,757 battles
11 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I have a computer at work and a computer at home.  Each year I upgrade one of them, just the box as I use the same monitors.  I spend about $1500 typically.  Give the oldest one to one of my kids, my wife, or one of my employees.

$1500 typically gets you a very solid box for gaming.

If I need to skip a year for whatever reason I spend about $500 and upgrade the vidcard on the newest system.  That buys me another year.

So you have to upgrade the hardware each year?

[NCBL]
Members
50 posts
7,506 battles

A friend and I are going to build new rigs for this exact purpose within a month.  We went over components on Canada Computers yesterday and came up with prices the same as mentioned by our fellow posters above, about $1400-$1500 CDN.  

Edited by HMCS_Hamilton

[NCBL]
Members
50 posts
7,506 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

So you have to upgrade the hardware each year?

I generally find a good system is a reliable platform for 4 to 5 years.  Spoooooooon probably is running some serious applications, or, loves bleeding edge tech.  Either way i would love to upgrade every year.

[LWA]
Members
610 posts
8,732 battles

I just one from Dell that gives me a 72 frame rate.  It cost me $800 and that included a new 24" monitor with free shipping.  It was their Black Friday in July sale.  For about $300 more I could have gotten one that was set up for the graphics heavy virtual reality gaming.  But the one I got does just fine for this game.

[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles

I've been swapping in stuff on my PC now for 6 years. Same mobo/cpu, but the rest has slowly come and gone. It doesn't take a whole lot to play WOWS. You could easily do it for under a grand.

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,858 battles
21 minutes ago, HMCS_Hamilton said:

I generally find a good system is a reliable platform for 4 to 5 years.  Spoooooooon probably is running some serious applications, or, loves bleeding edge tech.  Either way i would love to upgrade every year.

Exactly.  Basically each of my systems runs 2 years before I upgrade, and I stay at the front end of the tech.  One year I do the home computer, one year the work computer.  If I upgrade the vidcard at the end of year two I get another year or two.  But even after I upgrade the computers are still solid and decent gameplayers, so the kids can still play any game.  Although nowadays they are more interested in a PS4 than they are computer games.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles

Bought a brand new ASUS ROG G20 a couple years ago for around $600.  It was great initially, but I had to dumb down some of the graphics as of late.

I brought the list of computer specs to the stores and the G20 exceeded them handily at the time.

They are found on the install page here:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/system-requirements/

Print that out and take it with you when you go shopping.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,795 posts
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Just curious what kind of PCs would run WOWs and how long of a shelf life would it have in running WOWs?

Also wondering about cost of the hardware?

I just spent about $1,400 and change on mine and it runs everything on max settings at the game maximum frame rate.  Prob be good for 8 years or so.

My last one I bought specifically for WoT and it lasted 7.

[TBOW]
Members
1,184 posts
10,432 battles

I am running this on a $600.00 Acer Aspire I bought 2 years ago.  Does fine it. Has a Nvidia 950 with like  3 GB of vid ram and 16 GB of ram and 1 TB HDD.   15.6  inch screen, so you can run it on a fairly cheap machine.  Plus I have full HD resolution so I can run it on High graphics setting.

[RST]
Members
325 posts
6,716 battles

PC Game Haven

I used this site as a guide base plate for my price range, then used PC Partspicker to make the actual selections (some tweaks based on my preferences).  I built my system last winter (always wanted to build one) for ~ $700 and it is doing fine.  No idea on the lifespan, but you can play on fairly low end machines so it can probably stretch as long as your discretionary spending budget will alllow.  Good luck.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

you can build one for cheap.  just need gtx750 (2gb) or 1050  gpu  to go with i3   and you are fine  for WOWs.      you can find 1050 for 100 bucks or so.     easily last years.   both my kids have gtx750 and they are happy with it. 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,419 posts
3,411 battles

If you have some experience building your own PC, you can always start with budget gaming builds; Maximum PC has one they update regularly every few months, and just upgrade the graphics card or processor/mobo.  Here's Maximum PC's August 2017 Budget Gaming PC build for reference.  It averages at 800 USD; assembly required, but uses a 1070.

They also have other recommended builds by price, if you're interested or want to see what can be stepped up by price tier.

This is also assuming you want to start new; rather than upgrade an existing computer.  If you just want to upgrade, just upgrade the graphics card if you want better visuals.

Edited by YamatoA150

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,746 posts
9,446 battles

My laptop cost $200 off craigslist and runs it just fine. 

My main computer is an i7 920 from 2008. Been overclocked to 3.5ghz new cooler, 48 GB of ram, SSD and new video card. No plans on upgrading.

You can play WoWS on $500 not counting monitor.

[-MS-]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
3,940 battles

Depends, if you are planning on just this and other f2p, just about anything will last you for about a decade in the 700 to 800 dollar range, if your ambitions are only 1080p. 
If we are talking about AAA titles meaning real videogames and not just mobas, then a beast rig able to work in 1440 or higher res will be around 1k for seven or eight years. 

Edited by Mavairo

[POP]
Members
38 posts
2,518 battles

600-800$ is what most people would need for this and other more recent games. There can be pretty decent deals with a good processor in pre-builts. In my experience if you dont need very high/ultra everything even a midrange gpu (250ish) can last 4-5 years. So prebuilt with a decent processor and pop in a new power supply and gpu you'll be set for a while. Then a new gpu 4-5 years down the road again and maybe add a bit more ram.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,419 posts
3,411 battles

Forgot to add, my old 2010 gaming rig can still run it at max settings permitted in Win7; just using a newer GPU and more RAM.  It's an old Foxconn A79A-S mobo with a 955 Phenom II X4 and a modern RX 580 and 16gb DDR2 RAM (up from 4gb).  The only issue really was getting the 16gb of RAM to be fully recognized and utilized by the mobo without having BSOD RAM read/write errors.  Some BIOS tweaks later, and it runs pretty smoothly (RAM needed more juice and a different memory setting).  I will probably just upgrade the Phenom to a 1100 X6 just to round out the maximum possible from the whole setup.

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

WoWS isn't that demanding of a game outside of areas that involve crapcoding.

https://pcmasterrace.org/builds

That "Crusher" build is probably going to let you Sail with High, possibly Ultra settings and will keep you out of the realm of toaster-dom.

The "exterminator" and "annihilator" builds are definitely going to, while bringing other games into range.

"End All" and above are overkill.

Edited by AirshipCanon

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,404 battles

6th or 7th gen CPU + mobo

8 or 16 GB RAM

700W PSU

500 GB SSD

1080p 60Hz monitor

GTX 750 ti (3-4 years)

GTX 970 (4-5 years)

GTX 1050 ti (5-6 years)

GTX 1060 6 GB (7 years)

GTX 1070 (8-9 years)

GTX 1080 ti (?? years)

[WOLF6]
Members
661 posts
3,561 battles

In other words WOWS doesn't push boundaries and an old computer should be able to play it fine...

my 5 year old laptop runs WOWs fine. It was $250 when I bought it new in 2012

Windows 10

Mobile core i3-2330u with 8GB of ram

no graphics card just the on board graphics built into the CPU

I get about 35-40 Fps using medium settings at 1366x768

Edited by wtfovr

Sign in to follow this