Estimated_Prophet

First Nelson game

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

39 posts in this topic

First Nelson game was a mixed bag;

Hotspot, spawed NE corner, (North of C Cap,) with a Takao. General melee, I got sunk, but scored decently for a first time in a new ship, two kills, and second place or the score board.

The Good; Like LWM said; the fire chance and heal are trollishly beastly. Nelson needs a Bismark/Hood Bottom of the Sea camo, because it is one of 'The Sailing Dead,' coming back to life again and again with that heal.

The Bad; Kind of like Bayern, and again as LWM said; not having a spotter, or at least a fighter, to keep pesky enemies on the other side of an island spotted hurts a bit.

My only other complaint is specific to this game; The Takao died early; then the Bots decided I get to be their pinata for the day; and I spent most of the game running away as best I could from IJN cruisers and a Tirpitz trying to torp me...

Such fun to be the guy that lets all the other players shoot at broadsides because the bots are following you like lemmings...

...sigh... Guess it was just my turn...

Spoiler

4Y00JA.png
fGzkwm.png
c2nLtY.png
Y4zELz.png

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

oh it was a co-op.

18761077-businessman-walking-to-opened-l

Only 3 games so far, enjoying the ship. 3 frontal arc turrets is fun! :) They perform beautifully to, I'm enjoying the grouping with salvos out.

I do need to improve my angling though, 3rd game a Colorado chunked me good into red HP and severely impacted my recoverable HP potential. So far my biggest issue is optimal heal use, trying to maintain that large pool of recoverable HP without copping crippling damage due to Nelson's vulnerabilities.

8 games, won 5 in a row then lost 3 in a row.

The ship has many flaws (having me as a driver is among the worst). I have noted the AP is pretty lackluster on BB's - 4 shatters on a not very well angled Arizona at 15km.I also remember seeing other videos with ultra-tight shell groupings, but haven't had anything solid so far. It really feels poor on the dispersion.

Fire starting on a BB is very hit or miss. FP makes it pretty hard to get a second fire sometimes as with BB dispersion specifically hitting the extremities is a trick. If you start a fire with one volley but not the second and they repair it their repair will be pretty much ready by the third volley. A cruiser has the accuracy to target specific sections.

Fighting other Nelsons can be very cutthroat, I was baited into a belt shot for 5 bounces then punished with 2 citadels through the nose. Chastising lesson.

Fighting uptier can be pretty brutal, you're just never safe at any angle. Taking 20k through the bow from a Bismarck at mid range is galling while you struggle in return.

I saw them as an HE spamming Light Cruiser, a lot of damage was farmed that match...

This ship makes me feel like I was robbed out of the Freexp.

This ship has the worst combination of "bad" attributes that I have seen in this game. You would think that it having bad guns would good enough to not gimp it else where, but nooooo, lets throw in the ability to NOT take a hit, gets caught on fire with remarkable ease, even when fully kitted out for fire prevention. From what I have seen it's by far the worst T7 BB in the game, but thats my 2 cents.

Life sucks then you die... Man you've had a rough couple days dude!

The first time I saw the Nelson this morning got a double cit hit from 17 miles (ok so it was broadside) in my Scharn.  LOL.  I thought ok, excellent....easy bb to kill.  But when I got within 10 miles I had a hard time finishing it off once he started angling.  

Out of curiosity how are people aiming with AP? 

I realize my 3 games is absurdly small but I have been aiming high against BBs (not waterline) and getting good results. I'm essentially using the same aiming habits I learned with Hood and translating them to Nelson. 

I will also say I had a 19pt Capt ready to go so that may be colouring my perception.

Edited by Meatshield_No13

1 hour ago, mofton said:

then punished with 2 citadels through the nose.

Help me out, because I apparently am totally clueless about getting hit/citadels 'through the nose.'

Do you mean someone just hit yoiu forward of your guns? Or somehow the shot penetrated your deck or side; hit the forward end of the citadel, and scored the cits?

Neve can seem to do that reliably, no matter how I shoot at an oncoming ship...

1 hour ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

Life sucks then you die... Man you've had a rough couple days dude!

Yeah, but at least I finally finished the 150k damage UK mission... Though it took a Strike Lexington to do so... (A nice 230k damage game too...)

1 hour ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

I will also say I had a 19pt Capt ready to go so that may be colouring my perception.

Using my original Warspite captain; who's still ust 17 points.

Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

Help me out, because I apparently am totally clueless about getting hit/citadels 'through the nose.'

Do you mean someone just hit yoiu forward of your guns? Or somehow the shot penetrated your deck or side; hit the forward end of the citadel, and scored the cits?

Neve can seem to do that reliably, no matter how I shoot at an oncoming ship...

I was pointed straight at another Nelson, he aimed low and fired right at me. The shells overmatched my 25mm bow armor (which if it were 32mm would usually autobounce the shells) penetrated that and then penetrated my forward citadel bulkhead for a pair of citadels.

It is tricky. You need to be at close range, judge the distance correctly to not drop the shells short and then penetrate the forward bulkhead.

You can only do it to 5 battleships with pretty much anything, to T6-T7 battleships with ships with 15in guns or bigger, and T8+ are immune to it (with the exception of Yamato which can penetrate all extremity armor).

Hmmmm... Might have to hold off on getting Nelson.

The incredibly thin armour seems to be a real danger. I mean if people are already well aware of how simple it is to just light Nelson on fire and shoot through its nose... Even the surprise of it being new and people not knowing how to handle it, seems to be gone?

Doesn't quite seem to be the "OP/Better than the tech tree version" that the Missouri was/is.

Not saying it should be OP because it's a free XP ship, but it sounds hard to make it competitive? 

1 hour ago, Preditorian said:

This ship makes me feel like I was robbed out of the Freexp.

This ship has the worst combination of "bad" attributes that I have seen in this game. You would think that it having bad guns would good enough to not gimp it else where, but nooooo, lets throw in the ability to NOT take a hit, gets caught on fire with remarkable ease, even when fully kitted out for fire prevention. From what I have seen it's by far the worst T7 BB in the game, but thats my 2 cents.

Bad guns?  You have 406mm guns, extra spicy HE, very tight dispersion, and all of them in the front so you don't need to expose much side.  I've been doing just fine with the guns.  Who cares about being set on fire?  You have a ridiculously crazy repair party, and even more so when you ad the +20% signal to it.  I just let the fires burn and save DPC in case of flooding.

4 minutes ago, DoctorTeeth said:

Doesn't quite seem to be the "OP/Better than the tech tree version" that the Missouri was/is.

MO is basically an exact copy of the Iowa but with radar instead of a plane.

3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

First Nelson game was a mixed bag;

Hotspot, spawed NE corner, (North of C Cap,) with a Takao. General melee, I got sunk, but scored decently for a first time in a new ship, two kills, and second place or the score board.

The Good; Like LWM said; the fire chance and heal are trollishly beastly. Nelson needs a Bismark/Hood Bottom of the Sea camo, because it is one of 'The Sailing Dead,' coming back to life again and again with that heal.

The Bad; Kind of like Bayern, and again as LWM said; not having a spotter, or at least a fighter, to keep pesky enemies on the other side of an island spotted hurts a bit.

My only other complaint is specific to this game; The Takao died early; then the Bots decided I get to be their pinata for the day; and I spent most of the game running away as best I could from IJN cruisers and a Tirpitz trying to torp me...

Such fun to be the guy that lets all the other players shoot at broadsides because the bots are following you like lemmings...

...sigh... Guess it was just my turn...

Reveal hidden contents

4Y00JA.png
fGzkwm.png
c2nLtY.png
Y4zELz.png

wth is a LWM?

6 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

MO is basically an exact copy of the Iowa but with radar instead of a plane.

A better torpedo bulge, and. More bulkhead armor, 1 more long range AA mount, all at the cost of some short range AA and a measly 700hp. 

Missouri is in almost all regards a superior ship, in that if you have both Iowa and Missouri, you will probably never want to play the Iowa again.

I'm holding off, give it some time and see where the ship shakes out on the power scale. I would def rather have a conq right now.

8 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

A better torpedo bulge, and. More bulkhead armor, 1 more long range AA mount, all at the cost of some short range AA and a measly 700hp. 

Missouri is in almost all regards a superior ship, in that if you have both Iowa and Missouri, you will probably never want to play the Iowa again.

Didn't know that about the bulkhead armor.  Is it significantly better?

I've been in 2 matches so far against Nelsons in my Nagato.. the freaking things hit like a truck and have a 20k repair wth lol. Maybe it's just bad rng so far, but then again could be WG releasing OP premiums so more people buy them. 

12 minutes ago, ChineseSailBy said:

wth is a LWM?

it's that thing with bouncy anime tits that puts me in epileptic shock everytime I scroll by her posts

Edited by Ju87s

44 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

it's that thing with bouncy anime tits that puts me in epileptic shock everytime I scroll by her posts

dafuq?

so is it better to get the nelson or just save xp for the missouri?

2 minutes ago, lordkiller14 said:

so is it better to get the nelson or just save xp for the missouri?

depends, what do you need to farm more, fireproof and dreadnought signals, or credits?