You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MasterDiggs

Has anyone kept the Nurnberg

69 comments in this topic

Members
165 posts

I kept mine.  It took me a little bit to figure out how to avoid getting hit, but once I did, I had a lot of fun zipping around the map blipping things.

I sold the Yorck.  I ground thru her before WG changed her shell characteristics, and so she wasn’t much fun, and I actually free XP’ed the last third as I didn’t see much point in learning about the ‘oddity’ in the German cruiser line.

I absolutely love the Hipper and Prinz Eugen.  I just finished the grind to the Roon, and Hipper has been my best performing ship to date.  Sure, she’s only got 8 guns, but when they are accurate and hard hitting, that’s all you need!

Members
223 posts
1,622 battles

I'm necro-ing this thread because I just discovered the German CLs and I love them. Both Konigsberg and Nurnberg are keepers for me.

I've learned to embrace the most contemptible play style imaginable - follow the team, keep the green ships between you and the scary reds, spam HE at 16+ km, and run away as soon as anything looks at you, kiting with those two stern turrets. It's worked out well for me, and I have average damage numbers in the high 30s with both ships. Oddly, the K-berg is causing only about 1k less damage per game than the N-berg, which is odd when you consider the N-berg's faster turrets and better RoF. 

• Cool 3

-Members-
272 posts
3,181 battles

One of the many aspects about the game that I appreciate is discovering or "Re-discovering"  gems that I may have blown by in the past as I focused on climbing tiers to get to specific ships. 

Both Konigsberg and Nurnberg are great examples @Whiskey_Rebel Both have a diverse play style that allows you to change as needed along with effective armaments. 

Do you have other ships you are diving back into that you may have passed by before?

[WOLFG]
Members
7,406 posts
5,355 battles

I am grinding the Nurnberg right now.  It would cost me a 10 pt captain (to continue the grind up), but I am considering keeping her.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,449 posts
10,811 battles
On 8/19/2017 at 10:08 AM, MasterDiggs said:

Just a bit of curiosity, have any of you who have progressed past the Nurnberg kept it and do any of you still play it? 

I am tempted to keep the Nurnberg just to have a light cruiser laying around because I am not interested in playing the other cruiser lines right now.   

I kept her, but I play Konigsberg far more.  The Tier V cruiser has been power-crept a lot less than Nurnberg has been at Tier VI.  

Remember that Nurnberg came into the game in an era when Cleveland was the Tier VI American cruiser, and the undisputed best cruiser in the tier.  By the time Cleveland was moved to her rightful place at Tier VIII, the mid-tier cruiser landscape had changed pretty radically.  Nurnberg is still a good ship, but she's not as amazeballs as she used to be. =)

Edited by SeaRaptor00
  • Cool 2

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
11,683 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

I kept her, but I play Konigsberg far more.  The Tier V cruiser has been power-crept a lot less than Nurnberg has been at Tier VI.  

Remember that Nurnberg came into the game in an era when Cleveland was the Tier VI American cruiser, and the undisputed best cruiser in the tier.  By the time Cleveland was moved to her rightful place at Tier VIII, the mid-tier cruiser landscape had changed pretty radically.  Nurnberg is still a good ship, but she's not as amazeballs as she used to be. =)

Nuremberg got some big buffs though. Both the 360 degree rear turret rotation, and 1/4 pen HE, which negates the need for IFHE, freeing up 4 commander points for other skills.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,283 battles
On 8/19/2017 at 8:08 AM, MasterDiggs said:

Just a bit of curiosity, have any of you who have progressed past the Nurnberg kept it and do any of you still play it? 

I am tempted to keep the Nurnberg just to have a light cruiser laying around because I am not interested in playing the other cruiser lines right now.   

Nurnberg is probably my favorite cruiser at Tier VI.  She's surprisingly tough and despite the odd arrangement of her main battery, she can hit hard and fast.  The torpedo tubes are pretty useful in this ship as well having decent range for the tier.  

Yep, she's in my port and I play her on a reasonably regular basis. 

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,449 posts
10,811 battles
4 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

Nuremberg got some big buffs though. Both the 360 degree rear turret rotation, and 1/4 pen HE, which negates the need for IFHE, freeing up 4 commander points for other skills.

Also true.  The landscape has changed a lot since she was added, and she hasn't been completely left behind.

But consider the Tier VI cruisers that have been added since her introduction:  Graf Spee, Perth, Duca d'Aosta, Dallas, Pensacola (dropped a tier), Leander, La Galissionere, De Grasse, Huanghe, Molotov... it's a lot to keep up with, and some of those have some guns that do nasty things to poor Nurnberg.  Not to mention the variety she now sees in her tier spread.  T6 is more punishing in this regard than T5.

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
11,683 battles
13 minutes ago, OseanTanker said:

I kept mine and have a perma camo on it.

Same here, though with B hull.

[A-O]
Members
798 posts
8,371 battles

Yes, kept her in porty with Hull. Mainly for operations.

Members
223 posts
1,622 battles
2 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Also true.  The landscape has changed a lot since she was added, and she hasn't been completely left behind.

But consider the Tier VI cruisers that have been added since her introduction:  Graf Spee, Perth, Duca d'Aosta, Dallas, Pensacola (dropped a tier), Leander, La Galissionere, De Grasse, Huanghe, Molotov... it's a lot to keep up with, and some of those have some guns that do nasty things to poor Nurnberg.  Not to mention the variety she now sees in her tier spread.  T6 is more punishing in this regard than T5.

I like many of those newer cruisers, but they aren't in the same role as Nurnberg. Graf Spee and Pensacola are CAs; Leander and Perth are CL/DD hybrids,; Dallas is an island-humper due to the USN ballistics.  Nurn's biggest problem is that Budyonny exists. But even there, Nurnberg gets better torps, better agility, and 2x 360-degree turrets.

[WOLFC]
Members
183 posts
8,104 battles
11 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

it's a lot to keep up with, and some of those have some guns that do nasty things to poor Nurnberg.

This. After farming her in randoms so often when I did finally get her I never played her there. I was to chicken lol. But she is my go to ship for completing missions in co op. Need main battery hits, fires, cits,  torp hits  she can do it all.  I was able to get that free perma camo for her and now use her to farm elite commander xp in daily win/operations with the 19 point captain I have trained in her. I also use that 19 pointer for all the other premium German ships I have.

Members
1,869 posts
16,363 battles

In one of the events, got my Nurm back (had sold a long time ago when the line first came out) and came with perm camo.  Do not play much, every once in awhile I take it out to do some long range HE spamming 

[GT3]
Members
53 posts
4,601 battles

Its decent in randoms, but its best use may be tier 6 scenarios.. its a bloodthirsty bot slayer .

i dunno about its damage per min numbers on paper, but those fast shells and low dispersion make it easy to get fire on target.

it doesn't shoot over terrain very well but it can laser beam dd's, also German 6km hydro.

i think its torps are underrated by most players, sure they only go 6km, but within that 6km they are VERY good torps IE fast / powerful.

with 2 torp launchers per side, you can sink 2 enemy at the same time if your between them, even healthy bb's np.

i love to play it because its good offensively and rng doesn't troll nurnburg much imo.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
367 posts
2,293 battles

Nurn and Konigs are still wonderful flame throwers and give you fine practice for avoiding citadels :Smile_great: 

[GC]
Alpha Tester
762 posts
3,595 battles

It's a pure ops boat for me now, but in that environment, good ol' Nürnburg still shines.

--Helms

• Cool 1

Members
66 posts
196 battles

I'm just about to tier 7 from my Nurnberg but I'll be keeping her. She's a blast to play and hits hard while being fast enough to weave around incoming shots. 

She's a beast in operations as well. I've been coming in first place on the team in almost every operation I bring her into. 

Edited by rotten_dead_doll