You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MasterDiggs

Has anyone kept the Nurnberg

51 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,519 posts
11,963 battles

I sold it as quickly as I could and have never looked back.  There are too many other T6 cruisers I prefer to play.  Like any of them.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,430 posts

Nurny was my favorite tier 6 CL by far.  A keeper for sure.

It's been awhile since I played it, as I've well over 100 ships in port and have been busy grinding other things.   SO many squishy cruisers at those tiers to citadel!  Nurnberg salivates when it sees Russian RN or French cruisers on the other team!

Getting BB's to chase you is fun, too- I've racked up lots of torpedo hits that way.  And, needless to say. with that RoF, it's a Weapon of Destroyer destruction.

Members
366 posts
4,965 battles

Does everybody take Demolition Expert as their first 3-point skill for Konigsberg/Nurnberg?  Given how much damage the AP does on these ships, I would think it to be the better ammo choice in most cases, so maybe a different skill would be useful?  Though the wiki does recommend DE over any of the others....  I cleared the skills of my 7-point Konigsberg captain during the recent free re-spec period, and have not played her since, so still have the option to pick whatever I want going forward.

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
1 hour ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Does everybody take Demolition Expert as their first 3-point skill for Konigsberg/Nurnberg?  Given how much damage the AP does on these ships, I would think it to be the better ammo choice in most cases, so maybe a different skill would be useful?  Though the wiki does recommend DE over any of the others....  I cleared the skills of my 7-point Konigsberg captain during the recent free re-spec period, and have not played her since, so still have the option to pick whatever I want going forward.

I took Survivability Expert as my first tier 3 skill, having few hundred(or thousand) extra HP is never a bad thing, Plus I never really felt the AP to be sub par to the HE rounds. Only thing the HE really has going for it is a fire chance and with the additional captain skills and upgrades fires are not nearly as hazardous like they used to be, nowadays your more likely to get pummeled to death by shelling or hit by torpedo's. The AP can chew stuff just fine as long as it doesn't get unfavorable angles but you can largely compensate that by adjusting your aim and you'll always be ready for those broadside moments.

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

[TLOD]
Members
263 posts

still have the Nürnberg, played a lot in her, 6 sec. reload and nice ap damage really is a lot of fun.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

Hmmmmm..I only have 4 games in this ship and have done ok, but it seems like this ship is missing something.

The HE sucks at range and up close.

The AP sucks at range, but is good up close.

If I get close I eat massive damage and if I stay at range it seems weak.  The only saving grace is the reload.

After 7 games...this thing is trash.  Pensacola that can't dodge with crappy fast firing guns.  I enjoyed the Konigsberg but this feels worse.  Partly because of the MM and partly because of the handling.  The guns don't compensate.

Edited by LastSamurai714

[PVE]
Members
6,756 posts
11,835 battles

I haven't finished the grind to have to decide keep or not as I actually just started it with Nurnberg. LOL  I had it researched, but not purchased for a very long time. Got sidetracked with other Cruiser lines and then got into BB's heavily so just never got around to buying it. Yesterday I decided it was time and picked it up.

One of my all time favorite ships in the game is the Konigsberg. I just do really well in it. Have kept it all this time and play it regularly. Maybe that is why I didn't hurry to get Nurnberg as it is just a slightly less maneuverable, with better ROF, Konigsberg at T6? Felt like it would be the same ship with worse MM.

Have to say I was right about it being Konigsberg's big brother but I wish now I had bought it a long time ago when I 1st researched it. Man is it fun just like it's little bro the K. 1st game in it had none of that learning curve for a new ship. 82K and 5 kills. Really a fun ship. It is fragile like Konigsberg but I am used to that so it is no particular concern.

I didn't think I would be keeping it tbh. I mean why keep it and see T8 when the Konigsberg is the same basic ship and only sees T7? Because it is FUN! I may just end up keeping it after all.

[DOG]
Members
484 posts
6,182 battles

I kept the Nurnberg.  It is an awesome fire starter - almost as good as the Kuma.  For a long while I resisted getting the C hull, because I just couldn't bring myself to give up half my torpedoes.  But eventually I figured out I was very rarely hitting anything with the torps anyway, so I took the plunge.  It definitely paid off the other night when a CV tried to jump me, and I went all Atlanta on his planes.

[HDR]
Members
61 posts
3,497 battles

I don't have the Nurnberg but the Konigsberg seems a lot better. The only thing it doesn't have that the Nurnberg does is a slightly faster reload. Other than that they are basically the same ship, just with one of them at t5 and one at t6.

Members
1,660 posts
8,934 battles

Hey

The Nurnberg is better than the Konigsberg.  It has very good gun range and when played from distance spamming HE is a great deal of fun, especially when you decide to go DD hunting with your hydro and fast reloads.  Good torps and the AP does good damage especially on cruisers, there are of course the torps when needed.  I much prefer this ship to the T7 Indianapolis or even the T7 Yorck.  If you play her right you can come out on top, play her wrong and you will get deleted.  Over all, she is a good ship and it will have a permanent play in my port (mostly German to be fair).

Pete

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

Finished the grind today...I change my opinion from "junk" to "It's ok."

Not a keeper.

The only two things this ship has going for it are the ROF and the range.  I would say the AP but a ship has to give considerable broadside at under 10km to see those juicy volleys and really any cruiser can do that.

Edited by LastSamurai714

[PVE]
Members
550 posts
4,907 battles
On 11/8/2017 at 8:42 PM, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

I took DE first, but I moved that captain up into the roon, but eventually I will get it again when my new captain gets there. That will be awhile though. I never did the math to see if it was worth it or not. 

I didn't take SE because when I die I tend to die to really big shells so I didn't think it would make that big of a difference. Didn't do the math on that one either, just a feeling.

[FFLY]
Members
98 posts
5,564 battles
On 8/19/2017 at 11:08 AM, MasterDiggs said:

Just a bit of curiosity, have any of you who have progressed past the Nurnberg kept it and do any of you still play it? 

I am tempted to keep the Nurnberg just to have a light cruiser laying around because I am not interested in playing the other cruiser lines right now.   

I did . I kept it to get to complete the Indianapolis missions

[PVE]
Members
550 posts
4,907 battles
5 hours ago, Capt_Apollo said:

I did . I kept it to get to complete the Indianapolis missions

I still use mine when I need main battery hits for something. Its the ship I get lots of hits most reliably in. I ended up liking the De Grasse a bit more only because it is a bit more comfortable with its 2 forward turrets.

The next time I need to grow a new KM commander for something I will probably grow it in my Nurnberg.

Members
40 posts
6,792 battles
On 8/19/2017 at 10:38 AM, Xlap said:

For some reason i loved the Konigsberg and hated the Nurnberg. If i would kept one would be Konigsberg. 

I agree...Konigsberg is pretty damn awsome and in comparison the Nurnberg is just good.  Still use Nurnberg in operations....kind fragile , but can get the job done if your careful.

Members
326 posts
4,769 battles

The Nurnberg has a permeant home in my port.  She's just plain fun.  She's not for everyone though.

[KMK]
Members
83 posts
4,821 battles

I kept the Nurnberg and the Yorck. I love those ships, were the first in what I perform well, and start loving cruisers.

[-CIV-]
Members
283 posts
2,405 battles

Nurnberg is everything I want in a light cruiser for the T5-7 meta:

• fast turrets which can track and fire at targets even while maneuvering to dodge shells/torps
  • fast follow-up shots
  • balanced arcs which are accurate at range but can also clear nearby islands
  • consistent HE and powerful AP
  • excellent hydro/torps for brawls and DD hunting
  • can bounce a surprising number of shells
  • fast enough to move wherever she's needed to support the team

Nurnberg is a ship that can work the objective in a game where every ship does best in a second-line support role, and she's far more than a step up from the Konigsberg. She really rewards players who can take advantage of their opponent's lapses of attention and who are willing to use the ship's reputation as a citadel-fountain to their advantage. Nurnberg has a permanent spot in my port. :)

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,519 posts
11,963 battles

I hate that pile of crap with extreme prejudice.

[STW]
Members
51 posts
13,573 battles
16 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

I hate that pile of crap with extreme prejudice.

What specifically about the ship do you dislike and why?  There's a pretty substantial fanbase for the Nürnberg (admittedly myself included), which means that some have found ways to be successful despite her weaknesses.  Frankly, any ship can see success provided her strengths are leveraged while mitigating her weaknesses.  Some ships are just easier than others.

Edited by AnIolairGhorm
typo correction

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,519 posts
11,963 battles
9 hours ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

What specifically about the ship do you dislike and why?  There's a pretty substantial fanbase for the Nürnberg (admittedly myself included), which means that some have found ways to be successful despite her weaknesses.  Frankly, any ship can see success provided her strengths are leveraged while mitigating her weaknesses.  Some ships are just easier than others.

I don't like anything about it.  I don't like the gun layout or performance.  I don't like the shooting angles.  I don't like the protection.  There's literally nothing about the ship that makes me say, hmm, that's not so bad.  It's not fun, and I do not enjoy it.  That said with a 60% WR in the ship, I do respectable damage with it.  I can use it.  I can make that steaming pile of feces work.  I just don't enjoy it.

Edited by crzyhawk

[STW]
Members
51 posts
13,573 battles
2 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I don't like anything about it.  I don't like the gun layout or performance.  I don't like the shooting angles.  I don't like the protection.  There's literally nothing about the ship that makes me say, hmm, that's not so bad.  It's not fun, and I do not enjoy it.  That said with a 60% WR in the ship, I do respectable damage with it.  I can use it.  I can make that steaming pile of feces work.  I just don't enjoy it.

So as a comparison, what cruisers at tier VI do you like and why?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,519 posts
11,963 battles
11 minutes ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

So as a comparison, what cruisers at tier VI do you like and why?

Moltov I love.  Great, hard hitting guns,  Soft, but she works.  I liked the old Cleveland.  Dallas is meh, but not hateable.  Decent firepower, decent survivability.  Good shooting angles.  Graf Spee is fantastic.  Very hard hitting, sneaky torpedo angles and a heal.  She feels very tough to me.  Perth is great.  The creeping smoke and low detectability make her quite nasty.  Leander is kinda meh.  I'm not a fan of the AP only.  She can do some work, but I will reach for the Perth every time instead.  I didn't much care for the La Gal, but didn't hate it either.  All of the French ships I tried felt pretty meh to me.  Budyonny is a great ship.  I enjoy her much.  Great, well balanced high velocity guns, and doesn't die when you sneeze at her.  Pensacola...eh.  She's almost good.  The turret rotation nerf was un-needed.  She ship didn't need any nerfs when it was demoted to T6, but WG didn't let the fact that Pensacola's numbers before being nerfed would have left her as the second worst performing T6 cruiser stop them.  She can put in work, but she's not fun.  Aoba has been power creeped to death.  I don't do well in the ship, but she can be fun sometimes.  Her 203's hit hard if you can shoot, and the torps can be a nasty surprise.  Duca d'Aosta is soft and lacks firepower, but is a ton of fun.  She handles like a ferrarri and can dodge shells like nobody's business.  The 12km slow torps can be deceptively sneaky, giving her a stealth capability that a lot of battleships don't think need to be dodged.

Frankly, I like most of the cruisers at T6 for a variety of reasons.  I dislike the Aoba, and loathe the Nurnburg.  My Aoba performance is below that of my Nurnburg numbers and I will still reach for the Aoba before Nurnburg ever returned to my port.

Edited by crzyhawk

[ARRGG]
Members
4,829 posts
7,903 battles
On 8/19/2017 at 8:08 AM, MasterDiggs said:

Just a bit of curiosity, have any of you who have progressed past the Nurnberg kept it and do any of you still play it? 

I am tempted to keep the Nurnberg just to have a light cruiser laying around because I am not interested in playing the other cruiser lines right now.   

Will never play it again ... just like the Seattle ... goodby so long it was fun while it lasted but it’s over, I’ve moved on to bigger and better things

[RNG]
Members
53 posts
7,463 battles
On 8/19/2017 at 11:38 AM, Xlap said:

For some reason i loved the Konigsberg and hated the Nurnberg. If i would kept one would be Konigsberg. 

I feel the same way