You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MJPIA

So what bits of the game did it take you forever to discover?

24 comments in this topic

[TBLF]
Members
556 posts
8,422 battles

It took me some 6 months to learn AA acts as a bubble and going broadside to get as many AA mounts on the oncoming planes doesn't actually do anything other than increase your chance of dying.

It was around 8 months in that I discovered premium consumables could be purchased with credits.

And now after 2 years and some 6000 battles:

kgQDfk4.png?1

I have just now noticed the torp aiming reticle shows the time it takes for the torpedo to travel the indicated distance.

So yeah, what features of the game did it take a long time for you to notice?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,851 posts
12,965 battles

a few months ago i found out you could get secondaries and AA mounts to move by checking "Animate small objects"

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,118 battles

I was maybe t6 before I realized how to use the torp suggested aim line... I was just trying to figure it out (and landing nothing) by myself.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,118 battles
1 minute ago, tcbaker777 said:

a few months ago i found out you could get secondaries and AA mounts to move by checking "Animate small objects"

I just learned that now!  To bad I don't know if my machine can handle anything extra lol

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
6,446 battles

Training captains.  Somehow this little bit escaped me.  I knew about it.  Meaning I knew the term, but didn't really understand the importance of it.  So every new ship I ran, I started with a new captain.  Result ended up being I had a LOT of 5-6 point captains, but when I got up to the high tiers I was seriously disadvantaged because I hadn't been dragging a captain along with me to bring him up.  

[RICO5]
Members
2,926 posts
6,446 battles
Just now, tcbaker777 said:

Whaaaa?  Move how?  What is this wizardry you speak of?  You mean like just see the guns move with the targets?  Seems like a waste of bandwidth.  I am not looking at my ship anyway. 

[RLGN]
Members
15,943 posts
27,741 battles
22 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

Wondered about that...

In a bit of reverse logic; I didn't actually figure out how to move crews in regular tanks to premiums without paying a training penalty until I figured it out in Ships...

Beta Testers
1,263 posts
13,896 battles

Took me well over a year to discover that pressing and holding the "H" key in-game lets you know how many of your secondaries and AA guns have been damaged as well as giving you a general status of your ship

• Cool 3

[GLF]
Members
1,165 posts
18,401 battles

Took me 2-3 weeks to realize you could zoom in to shoot.  I just thought the game was really hard to hit anyone far away.  

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
22,840 battles

I think I was at tier 5 or 6 before I learned that "X" can be used to manually select a target, especially for torpedoes.  Anytime I came around an island and was surprised or surprising an enemy, I'd have to guess where the launch them if it didn't auto-select for me.

And for a long time I didn't realize there was a set limit to captain points, so I kept loading up on the low level ones thinking I could eventually get them all.:Smile_facepalm:

Oh, and for awhile I thought that if you stayed still, you decreased your detection range.  Thought this because of the many times I would detect a hidden DD and he wasn't moving.  Derrrr.

[BFBTW]
Members
500 posts
2,939 battles

It was up until about 2 months ago that I found out that you could hide the UI by hitting CTRL + G for screenshots and such.

• Cool 2

Members
185 posts
3,932 battles
1 minute ago, DoctorMcDerp said:

It was up until about 2 months ago that I found out that you could hide the UI by hitting CTRL + G for screenshots and such.

....Well, I just learned something new :P

[RLGN]
Members
15,943 posts
27,741 battles
12 minutes ago, DoctorMcDerp said:

15 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Took me well over a year to discover that pressing and holding the "H" key in-game lets you know how many of your secondaries and AA guns have been damaged as well as giving you a general status of your ship

Nice, heard about those but for some reason never could remember how it works... (wrote it down this time... +1.)

[SYN]
Members
8,989 posts
16,097 battles

Took me a while to realize you could pay silver rather than gold for premium consumables...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,206 posts
14,905 battles
36 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

Took me 2-3 weeks to realize you could zoom in to shoot.  I just thought the game was really hard to hit anyone far away.  

It took me a few days to pick up on that. What took me until very recently was how to adjust attack direction with planes. Even knowing that I suck at carriers.

[-WD-]
Beta Testers
44 posts
2,799 battles

That pressing "X" can change your target to where you're looking so I don't have to sit there and wait for the game to decide which target I'm really aiming for. 

That after a target disappears and you fire your guns, the gun arc won't be the same and will generally be much lower meaning if you're firing behind a mountain and the target disappears, it won't arc over the mountain, it will go much lower hitting the mountain. 

That if you have a target selected, and then aim for a target that isn't selected, even though the cursor will line up with the ship not targeted, the shells will fire to the distance of the target ship, so they'll probably miss the un-targeted ship even though the cursor lines up.

That game obstacles such as mountains and buildings do not block AA fire, your AA guns shoot through mountains for the ultimate realism. 

That, let's say your ship is stopped, when you accelerate either forward or reverse, the ship will quickly accelerate to a certain speed and then accelerate slower to get to the desired speed. Example would be in my Gneisenau, it will rapidly jump to ~2.5 knots, then accelerate slower than it did to the ~2.5 knots. For whatever reason. 

[-WD-]
Beta Testers
44 posts
2,799 battles
2 minutes ago, CesilTheDiddler said:

throughout almost all of closed beta i didn't realize there was a torp lead indicator, looking back i just kind of laugh.

Heh, same. I was always thinking "what the hell is that grey area?" and then fire the torps somewhere else. I figured it out quickly at least. 

[CALUL]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

Took me more than an year to discover that I can use autopilot in normal ship view.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,688 posts
4,522 battles

I didn't learn about concealment until weeks or maybe even months into my Warships career. With destroyers, I'd always just go in guns blazing.

Members
2,360 posts
33,728 battles

-  Took me literally 1000's of games to figure out that the first turret fired from the ship gives you the maximum width of where the shells will hit.

And that the last of the four turrets is usually the tightest grouping.  No wonder I couldn't hit anything in my South Carolina - I kept thinking "What the hell, now I have to aim at one of those first two shell splashes that are like a mile apart..?"  And it went downhill from there.

-  I recently figured out what that white triangle thingy that comes out from the side of your DD when you try to aim torps is.

-  And the "H" thing.  I tried to tell people in a game once about it and got yelled at because they were thinking it was one of those "Press Y to see your real time actual in game % chance of winning is" tricks.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,355 posts
25,839 battles

Spotting Mechanics.  For about 2-3 months not knowing what it was and how it worked.

When I first started WoWS my play focus was on Cruisers then Battleships.  Concealment really didn't play a role for me other than not knowing what it was.  But after enough game situations in months of play did it start bothering me.  I'm sure you guys know... You're sailing along, not seeing anything on the minimap near you, but people are shooting at you accurately and you're constantly warned "DETECTED!"  I still remember being that newbie in a Wyoming, Myogi, New York and getting torpedoes out the blue and being alarmed how people were doing that.  I was that player that the old school launch Minekazes salivated over... The clueless noob in the low tier BB.

It took me playing DDs to really understand Spotting Mechanics, USN and then IJN DDs, seeing first hand what it is from that perspective.  DDs live and die by leveraging Spotting Mechanics.  I don't play DDs much but playing them greatly improved how a lot of other things worked in this game.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway