You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

The one thing I started doing that made me a better player

57 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,847 posts
27,288 battles

Yeah I know I still have a long way to go and I'm far from a great player.

That said, the one thing that made my play generally better than it was before is this:

Have a plan for where to be in 2 minutes time.

Too often do I see people engaging enemies and generally doing a decent job of it, then realize that they're completely out of position to help with the actual fight when their enemies are sunk. Far, far too often did I find myself in this position too. I'd follow some enemy into a corner of the map and engage in my own little epic battle, sink the bad guy, then spend the next five minutes trying to find my way back to the battle, while the remaining bad guys sunk my team and capped my base. I was too tunnelvisioned on my own little skirmish and lost track of the bigger picture. Oftentimes I can play such that I can still shoot at the bad guy and not be out of position when he's gone, simply by approaching the skirmish literally from another angle.

When the coin dropped I started thinking "where do I need to be when this skirmish is done". It's elevated my play.

Maybe this tip can do the same to yours.

@purple players, is this that strange, esoteric concept they call 'situational awareness' / 'map awareness'?

<Edit> Disclaimer: This tip may be too advanced for some people, discussing strategies beyond the capability of some inexperienced and / or newer players to understand.

• Cool 16

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I would just suggest having an exit strategy no matter where you go.   more like looking 30 sec ahead.  :D    that would help lot of people.  

Edited by centarina
  • Cool 4

Members
620 posts
6,152 battles

And here i thought the answer was "heavy drinking". :-D

But yeah, especially DDs need to think ahead, thinking what would they do if they come to the situation from that angle and there will be another DD shooting them.

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

The critical thing that separates much of the skill in this game comes down to which screen your eyeballs are investing most of their time, the main window or the minimap. Playing from the minimap is not as visually stimulating so many players refuse to do it even if they know it would make them better players. This is exactly related to Lert's PSA because you need to constantly be looking at the minimap to update the 2 minute plan. 

• Cool 2

[LOU1]
Members
4,372 posts
15,290 battles

Lert, your tip directly counters the technique of kiting away and drawing two or three ships away from the main battle so that your team can get an overmatch.  Especially effective if you are in a DD and get some BBs or slow cruisers to chase you.  You can jet back while they are still crawling back to the main battle.   Following your tip makes it so the kiter ends up out of position.  I actually remembered this and fortunately turned back a couple of times this weekend.  Now, I will keep it in mind on purpose.  Thanks!

Edited by ExploratorOne

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,847 posts
27,288 battles
3 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Lert, your tip directly counters the technique of kiting away and drawing two or three ships away from the main battle so that your team can get an overmatch.

Not necessarily. If your conscious plan is to kite those two or three ships away, then you already have a plan of where to be, which is the point of my OP: have a plan and be conscious of where you are going to be.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
994 posts
12,711 battles
2 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Lert, your tip directly counters the technique of kiting away and drawing two or three ships away from the main battle so that your team can get an overmatch.  Especially effective if you are in a DD and get some BBs or slow cruisers to chase you.  You can jet back while they are still crawling into position.  Following your tip makes it so the kiter ends up out of position.  I actually remembered this and fortunately turned back a couple of times this weekend.  Now, I will keep it in mind on purpose.  Thanks!

This is why it's important to watch the mini-map and recognized that you are being kited. If someone is trying to kite you out of position, then let yourself be kited just far enough so that the kiter is completely out of position and ineffective but you're still close enough to the center of action to turn back and help your team. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,402 posts
15,833 battles

Here I thought it would be that you stopped licking yourself. :Smile-_tongue: :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,847 posts
27,288 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Here I thought it would be that you stopped licking yourself. :Smile-_tongue: :Smile_hiding:

Working on that.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,337 battles

Honestly, slowing down and taking my time. Planning out a route of attack and escape.

[LOU1]
Members
4,372 posts
15,290 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Not necessarily. If your conscious plan is to kite those two or three ships away, then you already have a plan of where to be, which is the point of my OP: have a plan and be conscious of where you are going to be.

I may have expressed it unclearly, but my point was about how well your tip could help avoid falling into the trap of getting kited away from the battle if your are the player being kited.  The power of a plan and the mini map.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,847 posts
27,288 battles
1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

I may have expressed it unclearly, but my point was about how well your tip could help avoid falling into the trap of getting kited away from the battle if your are the player being kited.  The power of a plan and the mini map.

Very good point, and I'm sorry to ruin your kiting strategy. :D

[LOU1]
Members
4,372 posts
15,290 battles
18 minutes ago, VGLance said:

The critical thing that separates much of the skill in this game comes down to which screen your eyeballs are investing most of their time, the main window or the minimap. Playing from the minimap is not as visually stimulating so many players refuse to do it even if they know it would make them better players. This is exactly related to Lert's PSA because you need to constantly be looking at the minimap to update the 2 minute plan. 

Almost every time I get focused down nowadays, I realize I had stopped looking at the mini map. I sit there watching my team battle on while thinking, "What the heck was I doing there?" Watching the mini map more is what took me from 43% up through 47% and up to whatever my current +50% is.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[SCCC]
Members
1,137 posts
9,687 battles
39 minutes ago, Lert said:

I was too tunnelvisioned on my own little skirmish and lost track of the bigger picture

The life of the French Cruiser players, except with that speed boost you could re-position yourself fairly quickly.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,402 posts
15,833 battles
7 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Very good point, and I'm sorry to ruin your kiting strategy. :D

On the flip side a single ship can so completely distract several enemy ships so well that they are effectively out of the match.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

this is why I almost always go to the weak side of the map at the beginning.  I can usually kite against multiple opponent and pull them off.   most love shooting at cruiser at long range and miss. 

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles
53 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yeah I know I still have a long way to go and I'm far from a great player.

That said, the one thing that made my play generally better than it was before is this:

Ah, the joy of playing low tier USN BBs.  

Where will I be in 2 minutes time?  About the same place I'm at right now!!!

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,847 posts
27,288 battles
Just now, Soshi_Sone said:

Where will I be in 2 minutes time?  About the same place I'm at right now!!!

Aw, don't exaggerate. You'll be at least 10 ft further ahead.

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
2,014 posts
26,037 battles
1 hour ago, centarina said:

I would just suggest having an exit strategy no matter where you go.   more like looking 30 sec ahead.  :D    that would help lot of people.  

This.  The best advice I ever received was to have an exit plan BEFORE I start shooting.  

Members
2,066 posts
23,804 battles

People who don't shoot ships while driving to the cap in standard battle is a huge pet peeve of mine. Instead the drive away while shooting the whole time then are like damn I better swing back usually too late.

[CINA]
[CINA]
Members
29 posts
1,069 battles

Usually in two minutes I am already having a conversation with Davy Jones.:cap_fainting:

Good advice though, I'll try anything at this point in my career.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

A good general tactic for all phases of the battle = "Have a plan ..."

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
1 hour ago, nothere01 said:

And here i thought the answer was "heavy drinking". :-D

I was going to go with "adopting a cat avatar"....

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

to which screen your eyeballs are investing most of their time, the main window or the minimap

Another good general tactic for all phases of the battle = both are important.  

Imho, the main screen is where one should most (of the time) be, however, the mini-map gives such valuable info that it cannot be ignored for long.