Spartias

Team Creator (General Purpose)

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

*** I decided to just re-edit my original thread for this instead of cluttering stuff up with another thread. My target audience would be coming here anyways heh. ***

Okay so here's a scenario. It's training night and you have a bunch of people on. Some you've played a lot with and others not. You have to create the teams and you want it to be somewhat representative of something competitive so your people can get some experience. You make a team and another guy make a team. Maybe you're just different sub-clan leaders within the overarching structure of your clan. 

What are the three questions that are either constantly being asked, or the answers to such are constantly being offered up to a sometimes annoying degree?

1. What ships you have?

2 How many captain points do you have on that?

3. What kind of a build is it?

With this all you do is give your guys a link to the sheet, and they enter all of that into the database tab. Then all you have to do is select a potential loadout of ships that you'd like to bring, and see if it's viable based upon what people have and are willing to play.

Here's how it works:

1.Give your people a link. You can get a copy of the sheet from this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_EydVR3wnP7mzNyY1F9nHvmCLwFwjTs_ThImpzezQxA/copy

2. Instruct your people to look at the bottom left of the sheet. There they will see two tabs. Instruct them to click on the one labeled "Player Database."

598de5ee80d51_ClickHere.JPG.886e90036a234860e61fba9ee2292d94.JPG

3. Have your players pick an empty row and enter their information. I have protections set up on the sheet so that you'll be able to change anything, but they won't be able to change something that might break the sheet.

598de65f28294_EnterData.JPG.5b289e630abfdb8c87d8770d87f09529.JPG

4. After they've entered their information you'll be able to use the primary tab of the sheet to change the potential loadouts of the 9 man practice squad in order to see what people have. No more questions... just information... No more chaos... lets get to training and playing. The sheet dynamically adapts to the ship selections you make.

598de6de26ed0_LoadoutChange.JPG.215b3e4dc6bf39c3cd3fbae0f5103f36.JPG

At the moment, the sheet will tell you if you're bringing more than three battleships or more than one CV. The skeleton framework is there for me to add in other rule violations later on, but since there isn't a set and confirmed ruleset for the upcoming League I haven't added any more. I have left the 72 point stuff in the sheet simply because I like it. On training nights it can still be used to spice things up a bit. 

If you have an acronym for a ship captain loadout that I haven't added yet, then you're in luck! I made it super easy to add stuff to that list.

When you're in the Database tab, scroll to the right until you see a green list. Add your new acronym to it and you're good to go. Anyone can add stuff to it. Those cells are not protected against editing so that your fleets can add and edit as necessary. This way you can basically say... "edit your stuff and keep it up to date if you want to be involved with trainings and yada yada."

There are currently spots for up to 500 players in the database.

Let me know if you find something you'd really like added or changed! I very much appreciate any and all feedback.

If you like the idea of the sheet, but can't seem to make it work. I do not mind stopping by your voice coms to have a chat about it. 

EDITS

8-17-2017 - Updated to my newest version of the sheet. All it really did was clean up some stuff and add the composition rules. It will now tell you if you've made a team composition that is against the rules. It's not smart enough to know if you have the module equipped or not... so it simply assumes that if it can... it is equipped.

9-12-2017 - The sheet now has several added functionalities. The sheet now has two extra tabs. One of the new tabs is a calendar with sign up options for events. The other tab is an attendance sheet that calculates the attendance percentage of each player once it has been denoted as to if they attended or not. The largest new functionality however is on the "PlayerDatabase" tab. This tab now has the option for each player to denote their two favorite type of ships to play (BB, CA/CL,CV,DD). Once the player has made their selections, the sheet pings the website wows-numbers.com and retrieves their overall rating description for that type of ship. One can alse instead see their number of battles instead for that type of ship. As well as each players two favorite type of ships to play as, the sheet also informs the user of the player's overall description be it unicum, good, bad, etc. This is only intended to make it easier for the user to set up relatively even teams in a pinch for trainings. User judgement and personal knowledge about the players is still paramount. I also added the British battleships for tiers seven and eight to the drop down menus.

An example of the new player description functionality below:

(I used myself since "Example Player" doesn't exactly bring anything in from the website heh)

spartiasasexample.thumb.JPG.92b291eb59c6edd3b2d47185d0fb54d4.JPG

Edited by Spartias

this means they are going through with the 72 point bracketing system. Ug, that is just terrible.

35 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

this means they are going through with the 72 point bracketing system. Ug, that is just terrible.

I don't see anywhere where we have actually confirmed that other than we're still determining its viability. There won't be a confirmation or denial until the ruleset is published in 10 days.

Just now, Macabe said:

I don't see anywhere where we have actually confirmed that other than we're still determining its viability. There won't be a confirmation or denial until the ruleset is published in 10 days.

This guy is notorious for making amazing Excel spreadsheets for practical and actual things that clans need.

One would be led to believe it would be true if he created one, though the rules have not come out yet.

32 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

This guy is notorious for making amazing Excel spreadsheets for practical and actual things that clans need.

One would be led to believe it would be true if he created one, though the rules have not come out yet.

Sterling actually just gave the "Not going Points" about 30 seconds ago to me so your fears are not happening.

Yeah, so I made this just for theoretical purposes. I am not in any means involved with the actual publication or creation or even crafting of supremacy rules. I made this as a tool for people to use because I enjoy making spreadsheets in my spare time.

Spartias would find it interesting to 'spread sheet' the gestation characteristics of tree mold if the data base had enough meat on the bone. He'll also be glad to scientifically demonstrate via a spreadsheet why goin up Yolo River ain't such a hot idea. ;) When he heard of the 72 point rule proposal he (of course) made a spread sheet for that to see how it would impact our team's yacht selection and manning criteria.

He ain't the source of rule change angst.. he's the cure. Be glad.. be VERY glad he freely shares his creative genius at crafting tools to interpret and use raw WOW's data among ALL the clans.. and not just ours. Thankfully, he uses his ALSO astonishing DD and CV driving skills exclusively to the benefit of our clan. Be assured, when you see him in game he's likely to have already scientifically worked out the probability of your survival. ;) 

Rock On, Spartias!

15 hours ago, Macabe said:

Sterling actually just gave the "Not going Points" about 30 seconds ago to me so your fears are not happening.

Well I did not know that. I am happy though that it is so.

1 hour ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

Well I did not know that. I am happy though that it is so.

I'm not... I thought the proposed system was dynamic and interesting. 

I've brought the sheet back now as a more general purpose tool. I hope it helps someone out there!

The points are on a back burner for now, we need some more time with it.  With that being said nice spread sheet.

39 minutes ago, Vas79 said:

The points are on a back burner for now, we need some more time with it.  With that being said nice spread sheet.

Yeah I got that. I left the functionality for it in simply because I really like it. It'll make for some interesting internal clan scrim nights.  Heck... we'll be able to say... declare a 50 point max for the night and see what happens. 

(Personally I think it could be fixed with a simple rule that says you have to bring at least two of every ship type save for CV's while still maintaining the point rule, but I digress.)

On 8/9/2017 at 9:07 PM, Macabe said:

Thank god for that.

8-17-2017 - Updated to my newest version of the sheet. All it really did was clean up some stuff and add the composition rules. It will now tell you if you've made a team composition that is against the rules. It's not smart enough to know if you have the module equipped or not... so it simply assumes that if it can... it is equipped.

Oh snap... I totally forgot about this sheet. I need to update this. My current version also has a calendar and attendance tab. It also searches the site wows.numbers and gives some basic/rudimentary information about the player. (How they are over all and how they are on their two favorite types of ships.)

I'll update this soon.

9-12-2017 - The sheet now has several added functionalities. The sheet now has two extra tabs. One of the new tabs is a calendar with sign up options for events. The other tab is an attendance sheet that calculates the attendance percentage of each player once it has been denoted as to if they attended or not. The largest new functionality however is on the "PlayerDatabase" tab. This tab now has the option for each player to denote their two favorite type of ships to play (BB, CA/CL,CV,DD). Once the player has made their selections, the sheet pings the website wows-numbers.com and retrieves their overall rating description for that type of ship. One can alse instead see their number of battles instead for that type of ship. As well as each players two favorite type of ships to play as, the sheet also informs the user of the player's overall description be it unicum, good, bad, etc. This is only intended to make it easier for the user to set up relatively even teams in a pinch for trainings. User judgement and personal knowledge about the players is still paramount. I also added the British battleships for tiers seven and eight to the drop down menus.

An example of the new player description functionality below:

(I used myself since "Example Player" doesn't exactly bring anything in from the website heh)

spartiasasexample.thumb.JPG.92b291eb59c6edd3b2d47185d0fb54d4.JPG