Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
cloudcat

Seal Clubbing, Other Terms

29 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
133 battles

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to world of warships, Tier Battleship and Tier IV Carrier in the IJN line.

There seem to be a series of terms such as Seal Clubbing that appear now and then, what does this mean and are there any other carrier associated terms I should be aware of?

(The forums seems to lack a slang glossary.)

Thank you,

Edited by cloudcat

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,269 battles

Seal clubbing refers to an experienced player beating up on the less experienced new players.

Generally it is used for when people go to lower tiers and play a strong ship with a strong captain giving them a good advantage over the newer players.

However because skill level doesn't get accounted for durring matchmaking some people use the term seal clubbing in higher tiers because they are beating up on the lesser skilled.

Edit: Also I am going to clue you in on the biggest hack in the game called WASD, it allows you to dodge your enemies torps and gun fire.  Only hack you need.

Edited by MountainManxDan
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
5,071 posts
17 minutes ago, E25_Syndrome_Yuno said:

' Seal Clubbing ' is almost like ' Disclipne ' if you think about it.

It is your best chance to learn quicker.

But could also confuse players - I mean think about, I can be a new player who actual plays a good game using my ship in the best way possible - yet still lose to someone who has the advantage as a Seal Clubber.

I may have played the game exactly as I should have, yet end up thinking 'I guess I didn't!' :Smile_honoring:

[GWG]
Members
6,502 posts

19 point captain in an Umikaze?  Yes, that's the epitome of seal clubbing.

The purpose is to secure a high WIN RATE, so the numbers look good. 

It's also good for farming flags through achievements.  You'll get more Krakens by seal-clubbing. 

Those achievements don't care what tier you are at.

Members
557 posts
59 battles
50 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

But could also confuse players - I mean think about, I can be a new player who actual plays a good game using my ship in the best way possible - yet still lose to someone who has the advantage as a Seal Clubber.

I may have played the game exactly as I should have, yet end up thinking 'I guess I didn't!' :Smile_honoring:

Morale is a weakness.

Members
4,202 posts
8,877 battles

Found these on the Web

World of Warships Terminology

World of Warships has unique terminology that you won’t find in many other games and also naval terminology that you might not know if you have not studied up before hopping into the game.  Knowing these words and understanding what other players are trying to say to you while in-game can be the difference between winning and losing a match.  Below are some keywords to know for World of Warships that are either unique to the game or general words used in online gaming.

Ship Classes & Ship Terminology

BB: Battleship

CL: Cruiser (Light)

CA: Cruiser (Heavy)

CV: Carrier Vessel

TB: Torpedo Bomber (Carrier Vessels)

DB: Dive Bomber (Carrier Vessels)

Fighter: Fighter plane used to attack other aircraft (Carrier Vessels)

DD: Destroyer

Bow: Forward part of the ship’s hull when facing forward, the front of the ship.

Stern: Rear part of the ship’s hull when facing forward, the back of the ship.

Starboard: Right side of the ship when facing forward.

Port: Left side of the ship when facing forward.

Amidships: Midway between the bow and stern of a ship.

Barbette: Protective circular armor mount for a cannon on a warship (think turret ring).

Citadel: Highly protected area of the ship, usually amidships under main tower/turrets, housing vital modules where if penetrated you will do massive amounts of damage.

Gunnage: Number of guns a warship carriers.

Waterline: The point where the surface of the water meets the hull.

Rudder: Used to steer the ship at the stern of the ship.

Torps: Torpedoes.

AA: Anti-Aircraft.

Main Armament: Primary large caliber guns on the warship controlled by the player.

Secondary Armament: smaller caliber guns on the warship controlled by the AI.

Other World of Warships Terminology

AP: Armor-piercing round.

HE: High-explosive round.

Caliber: Internal diameter of a ship’s gun barrel.

Effective Armor: The value a shell will need to penetrate after the armor’s thickness, vertical angle, and horizontal angle are factored in.

Camper: In a match a player who is sailing far behind where the fighting is taking place and is not contributing to the fight.  Often times this term is used incorrectly by disgruntled players who berate players still alive in a match after they are destroyed.

07: To salute another player.  Often used to say “hi” to someone you know and/or respect in World of Warships.

Flank: To attack an enemy from their side or rear by moving through an alternative route instead of engaging them from the front.

Lemming: When a player follows the majority of the other players on a team to form a large group leaving other areas of the map unoccupied.

Lemming Train / Lemming Rush:  When the vast majority of a team is in one location on the map and will stay as a large group to push quickly across the map.

Cap / Capping: Short for capturing the enemy base.

Flex: To re-position to another area of the map that either needs assistance or will provide you an opportunity to exploit an enemies weakness.

Suicide Scout / Suiscout: Quickly rushing across the map at the start of a match to attempt to spot the enemy team with no chance of surviving.

Carrying: When either a single player or a small group greatly outperforms what their warships) should be expected to do and cause their team to win

• Cool 3

[USCC2]
Members
5,071 posts
2 minutes ago, E25_Syndrome_Yuno said:

Realy though, what did you meant, I do not understand,

I understand what the ' confusion ' means though.

I believed you were stating that a person could learn by playing a Seal Clubber?

I agreed to a point - the experience the Seal Clubber has and the way they play could be educational. However, if the Seal Clubber is in a different class ship, the poor seal doesn't really gain any insight into how their ship or class is played.

In fact the seal could actually be playing their ship to its strengths (correctly), but come away completely confused or thinking they did something wrong as they were never really likely to win the match up against the 'evil' seal clubber. :Smile_honoring:

Members
5 posts
133 battles
2 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Found these on the Web

-SNIPPED-

Mountainmandan, chaos, thank you for your explanations. Up voted.

To everyone else, thank you for the explanations. I am enjoying the banter. :P

Edited by cloudcat

[HINON]
Members
3,993 posts
4,421 battles

Okay, Seal Clubbing is when a player, usualy Tier 8-10, goes back to the lower-tier ships to beat-up on newbies and/or scrubs trying to escape the higher tiers.

Seal Clubbing ONLY applies to Randoms, as Ranked has a restricted tier and Coop and Operations are cooperative instead of competitive.

The newbies are the "baby seals," being innocent and pure, and the "clubber" is the high-tier player who kills them.

It is one of the forms of "stat-padding", which is where top-tier players on a losing streak do things to keep their (oh-so-precious) stats intact, namely Win Rate in this case. Other forms of Stat-padding include:

• Damage Farming: Where someone in a losing battle goes out to collect the maximum amount of damage possible, even if it means dooming the team to a loss. This is designed to artificially boost the "damage dealt" and "XP gained" stat.
  • Kill-Stealing: Deliberately waiting until an ally has lowered the HP of an enemy to 1hk for your guns so you can be assured of getting the kill. Unlike what some others may say, this is not out-playing, it's a waste of firepower and non-competitive. This is usually done at the cost of shooting a larger, more healthy target that is more of a direct threat to your team. This is done to artificially boost the "Kill/Death Ratio" stat.
  • Star Farming: Specific to Ranked, Star Farming is where a ship deliberately positions itself badly in order to farm Potential Damage and ensure that it will be the top spot on the team, thus keeping the star if they lose, or getting a star if they win (hence the name). Other than trying to deal large amounts of damage and get the most potential damage possible, Star Farmers do little else useful for the team, such as contesting caps, spotting, or killing high-value (low health) targets. Regardless of what they might say, many people exploit this, and it is a legitimate problem that plagues Ranked for those who actually play to win.

How to Tell if you are Seal-Clubbing:

DO you have a higher-tier ship on the same line you are playing with more than 1 tier's difference between them? If so, YES.

ARE you grinding the line because it is known for having good low-tier ships? If so, YES.

ARE you playing AS (Fighter-spec) Bogue, Clemson, Imperator Nikolai, Konig Albert, Katori, or St. Louis (Tier III)? If so, YES.

ARE you a Tier 7+ Player with Unicum stats playing at Tier 3-5? If so, YES.

ARE you divisioning with your clan? If so, YES.

De-club-ifiers:

ARE you playing any ARP Kongou variant or New York? If so, NO.

ARE you playing a Destroyer other than Clemson? If so, NO.

ARE you playing Duquay-Trouin, Tenryu, or Caledon? If so, NO.

ARE you playing Myogi or Wyoming? If so, NO.

IS the ship you are playing the highest in the line (excluding premium and AS Bogue) that you own? If so, NO.

IS the ship you are playing the highest tier that you own out of ALL nations (excluding premiums)? If so, NO.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,810 posts
3,522 battles

Very true @Carrier_Lexington. I sometimes use these tactics except kill stealing (That is too low.) despite my highets ship being tier 6. You can say I learned it when I got my ARP Hiei.

[HINON]
Members
3,993 posts
4,421 battles
1 minute ago, Dictonary said:

Very true @Carrier_Lexington. I sometimes use these tactics except kill stealing (That is too low.) despite my highets ship being tier 6. You can say I learned it when I got my ARP Hiei.

Yes. Damage Farming is a legitimate tactic (I do it often) and should be your goal in every game you play, Kill Stealing is pretty darn low, but I think the lowest is Star Farming, especially in a Battleship.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,810 posts
3,522 battles
Just now, Carrier_Lexington said:

Yes. Damage Farming is a legitimate tactic (I do it several times), Kill Stealing is pretty darn low, but I think the lowest is Star Farming, especially in a Battleship.

I do the latter only when my team has already given up. So I do my best to damage to enemy and inspire my team. It is not exactly what you said but similar. Don't lose your star if you lose and your team may be inspired to win so you do. Always bring a safefail. 

[HINON]
Members
3,993 posts
4,421 battles
Just now, Dictonary said:

I do the latter only when my team has already given up. So I do my best to damage to enemy and inspire my team. It is not exactly what you said but similar. Don't lose your star if you lose and your team may be inspired to win so you do. Always bring a safefail. 

That's different. That's doing something useful.

Star Farming is deliberately trying to be as useless as possible.

So, no, I wouldn't consider you a star-farmer :cap_like:

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,810 posts
3,522 battles
Just now, Carrier_Lexington said:

That's different. That's doing something useful.

Star Farming is deliberately trying to be as useless as possible.

So, no, I wouldn't consider you a star-farmer :cap_like:

Thanks. Just saying there are much better alternatives to star farming.

Members
38 posts
16,393 battles

Seal clubbing can occur at any tier.  You can purchase an upper tier ship and put a fresh captain in it, and going against 19pt captain will definitely have a rough go at it.   At the initial tiers, it's worse because you have ppl still learning the game on top of the lob sided captains.

Members
4,473 posts
On 8/4/2017 at 6:51 PM, Carrier_Lexington said:

ARE you playing AS (Fighter-spec) Bogue, Clemson, Imperator Nikolai, Konig Albert, Katori, or St. Louis (Tier III)? If so, YES.

What's sad is some of these ships are really fun to play.  But go out in one to have fun and get called a sealclubber.

Members
3,200 posts
4,322 battles
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, Carrier_Lexington said:

Okay, Seal Clubbing is when a player, usualy Tier 8-10, goes back to the lower-tier ships to beat-up on newbies and/or scrubs trying to escape the higher tiers.

Seal Clubbing ONLY applies to Randoms, as Ranked has a restricted tier and Coop and Operations are cooperative instead of competitive.

The newbies are the "baby seals," being innocent and pure, and the "clubber" is the high-tier player who kills them.

It is one of the forms of "stat-padding", which is where top-tier players on a losing streak do things to keep their (oh-so-precious) stats intact, namely Win Rate in this case. Other forms of Stat-padding include:

• Damage Farming: Where someone in a losing battle goes out to collect the maximum amount of damage possible, even if it means dooming the team to a loss. This is designed to artificially boost the "damage dealt" and "XP gained" stat.
  • Kill-Stealing: Deliberately waiting until an ally has lowered the HP of an enemy to 1hk for your guns so you can be assured of getting the kill. Unlike what some others may say, this is not out-playing, it's a waste of firepower and non-competitive. This is usually done at the cost of shooting a larger, more healthy target that is more of a direct threat to your team. This is done to artificially boost the "Kill/Death Ratio" stat.
  • Star Farming: Specific to Ranked, Star Farming is where a ship deliberately positions itself badly in order to farm Potential Damage and ensure that it will be the top spot on the team, thus keeping the star if they lose, or getting a star if they win (hence the name). Other than trying to deal large amounts of damage and get the most potential damage possible, Star Farmers do little else useful for the team, such as contesting caps, spotting, or killing high-value (low health) targets. Regardless of what they might say, many people exploit this, and it is a legitimate problem that plagues Ranked for those who actually play to win.

How to Tell if you are Seal-Clubbing:

DO you have a higher-tier ship on the same line you are playing with more than 1 tier's difference between them? If so, YES.

ARE you grinding the line because it is known for having good low-tier ships? If so, YES.

ARE you a Tier 7+ Player with Unicum stats playing at Tier 3-5? If so, YES.

ARE you divisioning with your clan? If so, YES.

De-club-ifiers:

ARE you playing any ARP Kongou variant or New York? If so, NO.

ARE you playing a Destroyer other than Clemson? If so, NO.

ARE you playing Duquay-Trouin, Tenryu, or Caledon? If so, NO.

IS the ship you are playing the highest in the line (excluding premium and AS Bogue) that you own? If so, NO.

IS the ship you are playing the highest tier that you own out of ALL nations (excluding premiums)? If so, NO.

What about a Myogi???

Sign in to follow this