NikoPower

[PHYSICAL BUILD] Build-A-Ship - For Parks!!!!

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

101 posts in this topic

When I thought about what ship I should build for Parks, I had to consider that this is Parks we're talking about. He'll run into a mine faster than an allied BB will run into the map border. A DD or CL/CA won't be able to hold up with the constant bumper-cars game that Parks is playing with the mines. He needs something stately, something majestic, and something with decent-enough underwater protection to make sure that whatever I build him lasts longer than a sub thread on here.

So I went ahead and built an Iowa, because 33kt battleship is best battleship.

Comes complete with pose-able guns, DP secondaries that can elevate to be shown as AA guns, a catapult fighter w/ working catapult, and a lot of rangefinders, which can turn in tandem with the guns. Also has a grey-and-black camo scheme that was the result of me not having enough solid grey bricks.

Spoiler

d82dbTA.jpg

The original diagram I worked with. I amended this based upon my own experience driving the Iowa in-game and watching the model there (i.e. updated the bridge structure from the A-hull variant shown in this design to the B and C-hull variants shown in-game.)

Spoiler

jYMhH3U.jpg

In-progress shot. Turrets #1 and #2 are being built, the main superstructure tower hasn't been built yet, and the secondaries are missing

Spoiler

SIJy9as.jpg

The first completed shot, taken from the bow. Main turrets #1 & #2 are prominently featured in front of the bridge, and part of the FCS is visible, mounted on top of the bridge roof and just behind the conning tower.

3e1l8OC.jpg

Shot of the midsection of the ship after completion. Both stacks can be seen, as well as a crane, all 5 SecBat turrets

ZVlPpJ2.jpg

The completed Iowa, with Cpt. Parks in command, trains her all of guns to starboard at an angle of 30 degrees, accompanied by the three Mk37 FC directors, Mk38 rangefinders, and SK-2 radar, in preparation to ambush the enemy Ibuki hiding behind an island at 3km. Safe from mines, Cpt. Parks prepares to receive his first "Devastating Strike" medal.

Whew, that took awhile. Hope you all enjoyed the read-through & pictures, and best of luck to the other entrants.

Edit: Didn't see the rule about a max of 5 images. Changed to comply w/ rule.

Edited by ImperialArmament

Participating in this great event and brought with you my flagship. USS Missouri, happening to tell time and materials used in this project.

First The Ship USS Missouri BB- 63 My favorite ships in game and kills 263 Ships, he arrive in my Port 1 week last intro in the game. Now is complex building one week build day and night :D

Spoiler

M9ArQXM.jpg

The first day prepare the materials, cardboard, thread, thick paper, plasticine,lumber, silicone, scissors and paint; Then assemble them first make the helmet, the respective reversals for the main turrets and deliniacion of the superstructure as you can see in the first image.

Spoiler

LqOF5wR.jpg

On the second and third day began to create the main batteries and start the building of the superstructure that lasted until day five.

Spoiler

q6zypdF.jpg

In the final days 6 and 7 finished the superstructure, beginning painting and decoration of the ship, were made one by one AA batteries made of plasticine, which took about a day, also used wire in the radar area. I painted it from Missouri camouflage in the game and made Steven Seagal the Cook !! And with this I finish Arming the Missouri my flagship of my account.

Spoiler

HU0VT0e.jpg

Spoiler

8yWtyYN.jpg

Missouri is My love Missouri is my Life, i love this Models.

I used time,effort and a lot of patience in doing it. I am very happy to participate.

Thank All for watch my Model.

UsagiGumi

1 hour ago, UsagiGumi said:

Hide contents

HU0VT0e.jpg

Hide contents

8yWtyYN.jpg

I used time,effort and a lot of patience in doing it. I am very happy to participate.

UsagiGumi

Lovely ship Andrea. I think the superstructure is specially good. The Funnel and all.
She even have the cook!

14 hours ago, UsagiGumi said:

Participating in this great event and brought with you my flagship. USS Missouri, happening to tell time and materials used in this project.

First The Ship USS Missouri BB- 63 My favorite ships in game and kills 263 Ships, he arrive in my Port 1 week last intro in the game. Now is complex building one week build day and night :D

Reveal hidden contents

M9ArQXM.jpg

The first day prepare the materials, cardboard, thread, thick paper, plasticine,lumber, silicone, scissors and paint; Then assemble them first make the helmet, the respective reversals for the main turrets and deliniacion of the superstructure as you can see in the first image.

Reveal hidden contents

LqOF5wR.jpg

On the second and third day began to create the main batteries and start the building of the superstructure that lasted until day five.

Reveal hidden contents

q6zypdF.jpg

In the final days 6 and 7 finished the superstructure, beginning painting and decoration of the ship, were made one by one AA batteries made of plasticine, which took about a day, also used wire in the radar area. I painted it from Missouri camouflage in the game and made Steven Seagal the Cook !! And with this I finish Arming the Missouri my flagship of my account.

Reveal hidden contents

HU0VT0e.jpg

Hide contents

8yWtyYN.jpg

UsagiGumi

Nice Work !!! Usagi 

I hope to finish my boat in time (Dunkerque)

Best greetings

So originally I wanted to build a Bismarck to go with the Prinz Eugen that I built for a previous contest, but as I am kind of in the middle of rebuilding a bathroom I just don't have the time. So I kept it simple and I dunno if I borderline your "in game"
specifications but I built a Goliath using mostly "in game" screenshots and a little bit origami...

Spoiler

shot-17_07.30_20_26.27-0308.thumb.jpg.2454391d9276a241ceeedca85c6dc4a7.jpg

Spoiler

a7e5bafb0c96e8fbde5a84548377093c.thumb.jpg.4b86b1bfbda4fc0ec28d3f6d2268d811.jpgf42cd3eba0d680b3921ba8d086077603.thumb.jpg.4137a8243fee0c2616e06d251904405b.jpg

And so the end result after a bit of paint, you get a Scharnhorst in the bottle!

Spoiler

3403583f5a6cc773f7c574d2c9c9c059.thumb.jpg.c068cc7baa7de5a7b1f3f3550847e767.jpg77ba799c4f8b899f83e0a61c057dc543.thumb.jpg.eba4c3b63b18f6e71e7de5fb8677ae7b.jpg

Also I did tether the paper mache mine to the rigging, originally I wanted to hook it on the anchor but this way is just as good and required less effort trying to tie my rigging to the boat itself...

During another build-a-ship contest about eight months ago, NikoPower mentioned off-hand using mud as a building material.  I thought the idea was hilarious, but I didn’t have time to do anything with it at the time.  So, I shelved the idea for a future build-it contest.

Now the time has come to show what my efforts have produced.  In honor of the one who this contest is named after, I present the Goliath as piloted by Sir Parks the Sunken:

Spoiler

The last known image of Sir Parks before his untimely demise:

Spoiler

k4Gu7hs.png

The assembled materials for Sir Parks’ mighty vessel:

Spoiler

lnbbxsK.jpg

The Goliath under construction:

Spoiler

sdePI0t.jpg

The finished assembly, fresh from the slipway:

Spoiler

Ha1BeLO.jpg

A couple days later after the “materials” had a chance to dry a little:

Spoiler

D4ydXk9.jpg

When I first conceived of building this, I was planning on adding a lot more details.  However, it seems that I was somewhat more ambitious than my skill level or chosen materials allowed for.  It seems that mud has the annoying tendencies of not wanting to move when I want it to, moving when I want it to hold still, and being almost as sticky as a magnet.

This was as far as a I managed to get before coming to the conclusion that this was about as good as I could manage.  The hardest part was making the smokestack.  It kept wanting to turn into a pancake.  Then again the whole ship was trying to do that, too (it started out much thinner than it turned out)…

edit: Huh, seems someone else had the same idea.  Good job, Fallschirmfuchs!  That's well made.

Edited by YeOldeFool

On 8/8/2017 at 11:17 AM, UsagiGumi said:

Hide contents

M9ArQXM.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

LqOF5wR.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

q6zypdF.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

HU0VT0e.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

8yWtyYN.jpg

UsagiGumi

Nice work, i like this ship so much! Hope to see you doing things like this in future,

Building this was a nightmare. Houston was under water for the grand majority of the time I had to work with, so I only had a few hours each day to work with. Nonetheless, I decided to build an old favorite, the Old fubuki, from tier 8.

I started with tracking down a good blueprint of the ship, failing that I made my own. 

I then cut plywood strips to shape, glued them together, sanded, spackled, and sanded again a hull for her. 

43qPn51.jpg 

All that was left was to add the superstructure, turrets, and Torpedo launchers and then you have the money! 

pwIHbsl.jpg

DMTV7gl.jpg

kbt6iSn.jpg

Unfortunately some things had to be left out due to time. I'm submitting this from the terminal at an airport. shame, could have used today to add some lettering and more superstructure. 

Edit: Forgot the fubuki's photo!

ijn-fubuki08.jpg

Edited by JackBinary
Photo added

I'm finally done with my entry after working on it for many hours, about 5 hours every single day since the previous Monday (11 days)! I participated in the Prinz Eugen ship building contest last year and I decided I'd try another ship building contest. Just like my PE, I built this entry using note cards, paper, staples, and paper clips!

I figured that for this contest, there wouldn't be any better ship to build than Dunkerque herself, since she shares the same name with the town of Dunkirk.

Spoiler

Reference image from in-game:

AjJAxTb.jpg

Spoiler

An in-progress snapshot:

87NvM8o.jpg

And now for the final results...

Spoiler

HJquXC5.jpg

3SICIDK.jpg

OIZKSBH.jpg

I am super happy and excited with my build, I hope you all like it!

I have an imgur album containing these images plus a few more if you want to check out a few more pictures, since the limit of 5 images isn't quite enough for me. These album pictures should not count towards my image count for my entry. http://imgur.com/a/NdwPp

Edited by Peregrinas

On 7/8/2017 at 9:17 PM, UsagiGumi said:

Reveal hidden contents

M9ArQXM.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

LqOF5wR.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

q6zypdF.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

HU0VT0e.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

8yWtyYN.jpg

UsagiGumi

Wow this looks pretty good. Its a really good work for a short time Usagi ^^

So after about 6 days and likely 36 hours or more (I am very tired), I've got an entry I'm decently happy with.  I decided to make USS Atlanta-out of popsicle sticks.  The finished result is about 20 inches in length and made of nothing but wood glue and popsicle sticks.

In game screenshot

Spoiler

vnnS22V.jpg

The in progress/beginning shot

Spoiler

udQwQMG.jpg

The finished ship:

Spoiler

knqQYbK.jpg
q5o6m9O.jpg

I'm not sure how many popsicle sticks I used, but I depleted at least half of a box of 1000 getting straight ones.  Like I said, this took at least 36 hours in the evenings, and now I'm quite tired and my fingers hurt a bit from all the exacto knife work.  I actually carved patterns into the lifeboats, but you can't really see that in the pics.  Thanks again to Niko for hosting this contest.

And, as a bonus for the curious (like I usually do), here's some progression shots that aren't part of the entry.

Spoiler

No really, these aren't part of my entry and don't count toward image totals-nor do they have my name in them.

Spoiler

Here we have the 29 cross sections/ribs cut from the popsicle stick plates shown in the inprogress shot in the entry.  Since it was the same class, I used USS San Diego for the hull shape blueprints-though not the superstructure.  There were some major differences there.

Spoiler

x6QmYzb.jpg

Assembled

Spoiler

5KY1Cse.jpg

Putting the sides on

Spoiler

4MuJ3Kn.jpg

Putting the deck on

Spoiler

RGfME9c.jpg

Superstructure

Spoiler

YWwuc9V.jpg

Starting to resemble Atlanta

Spoiler

19QnXSP.jpg

The guns and basic superstructure done minus all the details

Spoiler

3iOyZDe.jpg

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

Hello Sailors, Very funny this contest, happy to be able to participate and finish on time. Well finally finished project. 10 days of hard work. Here are the pictures of my boat Battleship Dunkerque (French - Tier VI):

1-Dunquerke in game

Spoiler

uWLsyY8.jpg

2- work in progress

Spoiler

hefBuY1.jpg?1

3 - work in progress

Spoiler

q4ay4e1.jpg

4 - finished side view

Spoiler

0toURQe.jpg

5 - finished  aerial view

Spoiler

vdMYZKF.jpg

Not part of the contest though I share some extra photos if you want to see the little details that are not appreciated in the previous photographs.

Airplane and catapult:

Spoiler

OvkD9MY.jpg

World of Warship Flag and Top of Control bridge

Spoiler

mGCGIt5.jpg

Plates of the French Navy: "Value - Discipline - Country - Honor"

Spoiler

MJDfjUw.jpg

Chimney, Secondary battery and lifeboats

Spoiler

CNblKj2.jpg

In high sea - front view

Spoiler

u0iOjrI.jpg

Good luck to everyone best regards  :Smile_honoring:

Edited by zproxy
Include text in the description of the photos, and some spelling mistakes

It's been a few years since I've done any papercraft. After 8 hrs I remember why. Anyway HSF Harekaze inspired build.

Here's the WoWsNA Facebook inspiration

Spoiler

y9PFMPp.jpg

Patterns, Photoshop and color copier later, here's the start of the project before creating those famous hanging chads

Spoiler

ztguWsI.jpg

End result looks like it was at bikini atoll. 

Spoiler

4XuEB1c.jpg

eFH5sQY.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

M9ArQXM.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

LqOF5wR.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

q6zypdF.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

HU0VT0e.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

8yWtyYN.jpg

UsagiGumi

This model I like, has all the details as the AA, secondary

and those main guns are seen that are very well worked ...

Good work UsagiGumi

16 hours ago, Peregrinas said:

I'm finally done with my entry after working on it for many hours, about 5 hours every single day since the previous Monday (11 days)! I participated in the Prinz Eugen ship building contest last year and I decided I'd try another ship building contest. Just like my PE, I built this entry using note cards, paper, staples, and paper clips!

I figured that for this contest, there wouldn't be any better ship to build than Dunkerque herself, since she shares the same name with the town of Dunkirk.

Reveal hidden contents

Reference image from in-game:

AjJAxTb.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

An in-progress snapshot:

87NvM8o.jpg

And now for the final results...

Hide contents

HJquXC5.jpg

3SICIDK.jpg

OIZKSBH.jpg

I am super happy and excited with my build, I hope you all like it!

I have an imgur album containing these images plus a few more if you want to check out a few more pictures, since the limit of 5 images isn't quite enough for me. These album pictures should not count towards my image count for my entry. http://imgur.com/a/NdwPp

So many boats in the game and you chose the same as me. Did not see the post I put where I said I would work in the Dunkirk?

2 minutes ago, zproxy said:

So many boats in the game and you chose the same as me. Did not see the post I put where I said I would work in the Dunkirk?

And how is that a problem, exactly?  Besides, he did an amazing job, it's extremely clean and well made, if not the best entry here.

44 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

And how is that a problem, exactly?  Besides, he did an amazing job, it's extremely clean and well made, if not the best entry here.

There is no problem my friend, is that if I had known I had worked on another boat, ha ha ha I like the exclusivity. The entrance is great, very clean. Just like yours, I think it's the only one that could really navigate :cap_like:

18 minutes ago, zproxy said:

By the time of your post, I had already began my work and the hull was already constructed.

15 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Thank you for your words. You also did a very darn well job with your chosen medium!

4 minutes ago, zproxy said:

There is no problem my friend, is that if I had known I had worked on another boat, ha ha ha I like the exclusivity. The entrance is great, very clean. Just like yours, I think it's the only one that could really navigate :cap_like:

Naw, it would prolly fall apart if you put it in water due to the wood glue XD

33 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Naw, it would prolly fall apart if you put it in water due to the wood glue XD

Maybe if you cover it with a glue for swimming pools or something like that hahaha. To mine I'll put varnish and go to the bath we'll see what happens

Just now, zproxy said:

Maybe if you cover it with a glue for swimming pools or something like that hahaha. To mine I'll put varnish and go to the bath we'll see what happens

I was actually really tempted near the beginning to set it on fire as a grand (and ironic) finale...but I've put too much work into it now XD  I do have some polyurethane left over from refinishing a table...hmmmmm.

Hey everyone, 

Wanted to let you all know that we are going through the entries and will have winners announced soon. Keep and eye out! :)

Reveal hidden contents

M9ArQXM.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

LqOF5wR.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

q6zypdF.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

HU0VT0e.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

8yWtyYN.jpg

UsagiGumi

A great job, certainly a model to which you put a lot of commitment and dedication. I hope you win :)

16 hours ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

So after about 6 days and likely 36 hours or more (I am very tired), I've got an entry I'm decently happy with.  I decided to make USS Atlanta-out of popsicle sticks.  The finished result is about 20 inches in length and made of nothing but wood glue and popsicle sticks.

In game screenshot

Reveal hidden contents

vnnS22V.jpg

The in progress/beginning shot

Reveal hidden contents

udQwQMG.jpg

The finished ship:

Reveal hidden contents

knqQYbK.jpg
q5o6m9O.jpg

I'm not sure how many popsicle sticks I used, but I depleted at least half of a box of 1000 getting straight ones.  Like I said, this took at least 36 hours in the evenings, and now I'm quite tired and my fingers hurt a bit from all the exacto knife work.  I actually carved patterns into the lifeboats, but you can't really see that in the pics.  Thanks again to Niko for hosting this contest.

And, as a bonus for the curious (like I usually do), here's some progression shots that aren't part of the entry.

Reveal hidden contents

No really, these aren't part of my entry and don't count toward image totals-nor do they have my name in them.

Reveal hidden contents

Here we have the 29 cross sections/ribs cut from the popsicle stick plates shown in the inprogress shot in the entry.  Since it was the same class, I used USS San Diego for the hull shape blueprints-though not the superstructure.  There were some major differences there.

Reveal hidden contents

x6QmYzb.jpg

Assembled

Reveal hidden contents

5KY1Cse.jpg

Putting the sides on

Reveal hidden contents

4MuJ3Kn.jpg

Putting the deck on

Reveal hidden contents

RGfME9c.jpg

Superstructure