Kuckoo

Dunkirk the Movie

  • You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

38 posts in this topic

Go see it.  Not now, but right now.  In 70mm IMAX.

 

Don't think, just do it.

 

You might want to bring a heart monitor and defibrillator.

 


1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were talking about this movie on The Glenn Beck Program this morning and they said that the audience at one of the advanced showings gave a full standing ovation at the end.  Supposed to be pretty good.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fantastic. Minimum dialogue, barely any scenes with Germans in them, (barring aircraft), yet not just a great "War" film, but a great film overall.

 

Only thing I think it should have had was an end scene overlay where they explained how many British and French troops were evacuated. (To be fair they may have, our theater lost power just as the credits started to roll)


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I REALLY want to see it, I have no theaters anywhere near me that I'm able to go to, so I'll have to wait till its on DvD to see it. :Smile_sad:


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going this Monday to see it in Imax....


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll probably see it eventually but probably no time soon . . . perhaps not even until they show it on television.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just gonna to wait till there a blueray copy that i can download


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it.
Spoiler,

Spoiler

They get off the beach

 


1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it a few hours ago. Great film.

Nolan has finally dumped his tendency to choke film's with exposition and just lets the story roll.

Only negative for me is I could have watched Tom Hardy clean house in his Spitfire all day. Best part of the film, IMO, and worth the ticket alone.

 


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well let me be the first to say are you f!@#$%& joking? I honestly feel like the original post is trolling. The movie was incredible...if you need a nap. I fell asleep twice and left 10-15 minutes before it was over due to how incredibly slow and boring it was.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, True_Romance said:

Well let me be the first to say are you f!@#$%& joking? I honestly feel like the original post is trolling. The movie was incredible...if you need a nap. I fell asleep twice and left 10-15 minutes before it was over due to how incredibly slow and boring it was.

So, tell us how you slept through the gunfire and Stukas.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, True_Romance said:

Well let me be the first to say are you f!@#$%& joking? I honestly feel like the original post is trolling. The movie was incredible...if you need a nap. I fell asleep twice and left 10-15 minutes before it was over due to how incredibly slow and boring it was.

 

I'm certain Mr. Bay will soon make yet another explosion-filled cacophony of noise to hold your attention, Romance.


1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll probably be seeing it soon at the Tuttleman imax theatre at the Franklin institute in Philly soon and it'll be glorious. 

 

Fun fact, for all the aircraft crash scenes in the movie they built 80 scale drones and crashed 60 of them to get footage they wanted. 


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit biased on the English side. Just the way the story was told. 


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, True_Romance said:

Well let me be the first to say are you f!@#$%& joking? I honestly feel like the original post is trolling. The movie was incredible...if you need a nap. I fell asleep twice and left 10-15 minutes before it was over due to how incredibly slow and boring it was.

First and probably the last.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greenday4537 said:

I hear the French are royally pissed about it.

I can see parts where they would be. Like the "British only" scene, and the only French character drowns. Aside from being in France and two scenes where you see any French soldiers at all, the film acts like France didn't play a role at all in the event.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

 

I'm certain Mr. Bay will soon make yet another explosion-filled cacophony of noise to hold your attention, Romance.

Hey, if you are into incredibly weak story lines with no depth, no character depth and no emotional connection more power to ya! The entire reason the film sucked is because of how lazy the story line was! Sorry, I have higher expectations for films which are based on a strong story line instead of explosion-filled cacophoney of noises.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, True_Romance said:

Hey, if you are into incredibly weak story lines with no depth, no character depth and no emotional connection more power to ya! The entire reason the film sucked is because of how lazy the story line was! Sorry, I have higher expectations for films which are based on a strong story line instead of explosion-filled cacophoney of noises.

Well too bad for you this isn't a work of fiction, and actual war is horrible and "boring" 


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was great. The only complaint I would have is scale - the evacuation at Dunkirk was massive, and that's not something the movie effectively captures. Without it telling you the numbers, you get a sense of a few thousand being lifted off the beaches, not a few hundred thousand. That same applies to the amount of aircraft and ships.

 

Granted, Nolan was limited with what scale he could achieve as he wasn't using CGI... And that considered, it was spectacular.

 

I can see why the French are complaining... But to be fair, they did get nods. They just didn't get much screen time. I thought the movie made it clear all the time they had to get off was being bought by French lives... But that's hard to be reminded of because you never see them (or the Germans).


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scale was a bit off.  There should have been more.  But Nolan was doing this old school film making.  NO CGI.  Period.  I like that even the decommissioned French Destroyer that subbed for the Royal Navy destroyers looked right.  Only a few pieces of hardware on her didn't belong, but unless you knew what you were looking at/for, it is hard to notice.  So getting more ships and boats would have really skyrocketed the costs of the movie.  It is #1 this weekend, so I bet the studio is breathing easy that their gamble payed off.  But a war movie that doesn't include Americans, is technically a loss, and doesn't have the Michael Bay crapfest/tacked on love story, this was a huge gamble for the studio.

But like most Nolan movies, this wasn't meant to be watched once.  I did catch a few tidbits in the dialogue that I want to go back and confirm.

Also the scope was supposed to be three British points of view.  This wasn't about the whole evacuation.  This is Saving Private Ryan in a The Longest Day.  The French did get glossed over, and maybe they could do a movie about that later.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2017 at 3:39 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Unless you refuse to spoiler; what I want to know is whether or not Charles Lightoller was shown/mentioned in the movie?

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundowner_(yacht)

 

He's not. I believe one of the main characters is based off him, but he's not reference, at least as far as I can tell. (the main yacht is the Moonstone, but the old man does have a son and another boy coming with him)


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it today.  Man...that was a good film, though I kinda wish there were more dogfights in the movie.  If anybody wanted to learn more about the actual Dunkrik event, I don't think this movie is good for that.  This is more of an artsy retelling of the event.

As others have said, SEE THIS FILM IN THEATERS!  It really enhances the chair-gripping nature of the piece.

The ending was also heart-touching.  I'm a Yank...and I felt British pride :fish_glass:


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Irishwind said:

The scale was a bit off.  There should have been more.  But Nolan was doing this old school film making.  NO CGI.  Period.  I like that even the decommissioned French Destroyer that subbed for the Royal Navy destroyers looked right.  Only a few pieces of hardware on her didn't belong, but unless you knew what you were looking at/for, it is hard to notice.  So getting more ships and boats would have really skyrocketed the costs of the movie.  It is #1 this weekend, so I bet the studio is breathing easy that their gamble payed off.  But a war movie that doesn't include Americans, is technically a loss, and doesn't have the Michael Bay crapfest/tacked on love story, this was a huge gamble for the studio.

But like most Nolan movies, this wasn't meant to be watched once.  I did catch a few tidbits in the dialogue that I want to go back and confirm.

Also the scope was supposed to be three British points of view.  This wasn't about the whole evacuation.  This is Saving Private Ryan in a The Longest Day.  The French did get glossed over, and maybe they could do a movie about that later.

I think the fact that the film was by Nolan really helped sell the movie.  I kinda hope Nolan visits WW2 again.  Imagine him doing Battle of Britain...or the Hunt for Bismarck.  The latter could be a good monster-like movie...with the Bismarck as the titular monster :cap_haloween:.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.