Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cobraclutch

0.6.9 WIP / Speculation - Smoke Firing Nerf

746 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,589
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,010 posts
4,705 battles

Hello Everyone,

 

I will make this short and sweet, new smoke firing penalty being tested for 0.6.9 .

 

This is a WIP / Testing / Speculation . Please understand that by no means will this make it live. 

 

 

Here are the details.  

Source

 

New Mechanic: Smoke-firing Penalty !! WARNING: We speculate that this new mechanic will work as follows.

 

However, unveiling the actual effect requires further investigation. Now, smoke-firing will not be as pleasant as it used to be. Ships fire inside (or around) smoke screen will accelerate the dissipation of smoke. For example: Gearing's 1-click firing will reduce 0.24 (0.12×2) sec. lifetime of all smoke cloud in a radius of 630 meters. Larger caliber guns have better effect on smoke dissipating. The biggest 460mm has the basic smoke-dissipation penalty of 5.91 seconds. That is, each 1-click shot will cause 17.73 sec of smoke dissipation and one salvo will almost blow away an entire smoke screen!

 

 

Opinion: This is not a good change, I hope it does not make it past testing. 

 

Discuss! 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,984
[SYN]
Members
15,934 posts
12,803 battles

it's more like a nerf to team smoking.

no longer will you be able to hide that triple Des Moines division inside of Gearing smoke.

 

at the same time, I don't see how they are going to make this work on Minotaur.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,589
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,010 posts
4,705 battles
Just now, MrDeaf said:

it's more like a nerf to team smoking.

no longer will you be able to hide that triple Des Moines division inside of Gearing smoke.

It will have a effect on Gun boats shooting inside a smoke screen, albeit by a less amount. Gearing will be able to fire 35 full gun salvos instead of 43,  It still is a nerf. 

 

What I am worried about is if a BB comes along and just wipes your smoke off the map with 1 salvo.   

 

Still too preliminary for stronger opinions.. Il reserve my more harsher comments if it makes it out of super test. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,984
[SYN]
Members
15,934 posts
12,803 battles

just imagine the amount of trolling you can do to RNCL. Use your BB, Sneak near their smoke, fire your guns, all their smoke dissipates, dead RNCL.
Much hilarity trolling ensues.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
81 posts
3,429 battles

Are they just trying to kill off DD play altogether, or what? Gunboat DD lines with mediocre torps like the USN will be pretty much dead after a change like this. This will also serve to destroy what little incentive there is for team play as a DD - if smoking your allies means that you get less of that precious life-preserving smoke, you're going to be selfish and keep it for yourself. This is nuts. 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,589
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,010 posts
4,705 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

just imagine the amount of trolling you can do to RNCL. Use your BB, Sneak near their smoke, fire your guns, all their smoke dissipates, dead RNCL.
Much hilarity trolling ensues.

I was just editing my reply to say that it will screw RNCL's the most. 

 

Trolling or just plain lack of knowledge, I can already see the rage posts being made about noob BB's blowing away smoke screens lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,770
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,725 posts
13,218 battles

Yet they continue to claim that BBs are overpopulated...

 

WG has been perpetuating the worst stereotypes of Eastern Europeans for decades, so such incompitence would not surprise me. That said, I hope this is just [edited] from SEA or it never makes it out of supertest.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,589
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,010 posts
4,705 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Yet they continue to claim that BBs are overpopulated...

 

WG has been perpetuating the worst stereotypes of Eastern Europeans for decades, so such incompitence would not surprise me. That said, I hope this is just [edited] from SEA or it never makes it out of supertest.

 

Very much this. Its a still very preliminary so until we get more details and more concrete info the pitch fork is stowed away for now lol. 

 

7 minutes ago, Theodosivs_Imperator said:

Are they just trying to kill off DD play altogether, or what? Gunboat DD lines with mediocre torps like the USN will be pretty much dead after a change like this. This will also serve to destroy what little incentive there is for team play as a DD - if smoking your allies means that you get less of that precious life-preserving smoke, you're going to be selfish and keep it for yourself. This is nuts. 

 

Very much so, it also has implications towards premiums such as belfast and MK, I wonder how they will handle if it will be considered a "Global change" and therefor justified in the Dev's eye. 

 

Maybe this is WG'ings sledge hammer solution to having rewards for smoking allies.. 

 

Dev's : No need for rewards for smoking allies, BB blow away smoke? Voila !

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,885
[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

I'm just going to intentionally go into peoples smoke to blow it away now.

 

Especially Belfasts. Because even when its on my team I feel violated.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,106
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,624 battles

If they get rid of smoke, they will have no reason to keep radar, so I'm all for it. Both mechanics are game-breakingly broken and do nothing positive for the playing experience at all. Add hydro to the remove list, and equalize all nations torp detection ranges, and DD's are balanced again.

Axe it now.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts

This can't be a one-step dance... if they take a primary feature away from the RN cruisers built out of gray crystal they will have to buff the ship's armor or extend range. It would not be in the "interest of balance" for them to do this. Let alone what will happen to the Belfast! The lower tier RN cruisers are playable outside of smoke... but Neptune and Minotaur? Dicy to say the least. 

 

It's funny you know - if they go this route - it reminds me of an old advertising campaign... 

Jaws2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,770
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,725 posts
13,218 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

If they get rid of smoke, they will have no reason to keep radar, so I'm all for it.

Oh Snap. I wonder how they would continue to defend their "I Win" button if such a change went live?

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
5 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

I'm just going to intentionally go into peoples smoke to blow it away now.

 

Especially Belfasts. Because even when its on my team I feel violated.

 

So I would then expect you would pop smoke on any platoon snipers if you were playing an infantry game because they could snipe and you could not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,885
[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles
10 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

 

So I would then expect you would pop smoke on any platoon snipers if you were playing an infantry game because they could snipe and you could not? 

 

Well, the platoon sniper is also using a combination of tools that nobody else has because he decided to drop $40 to gain an advantage over everyone else. He's sitting in a magic ghillie suit that cancels out his body heat signature while using a special infrared sight so kill everyone he sees with no real fear of reprisal.

 

So yes, if its Battlefield or something, I'll just blow up the house he's in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
927
[HINON]
Members
3,276 posts
28,573 battles

well that answers a question I made a few months back, "In what new and innovative ways will WG nerf DDs next?"

  • Cool 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,886
[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,800 posts
5,152 battles

This is...troubling to say the least. I am most concerned about the USN DDs and Akizuki. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,885
[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles
1 minute ago, giovybez said:

well that answers a question I made a few months back, "In what new and innovative ways will WG nerf DDs next?"

 

Probably going to hurt British cruisers the most to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
501
[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
19,098 battles

some calculation

 

Minotaur 113 -> 65.4473
Neptune 110 -> 69.8564
Edinburgh 106 -> 79.2741


Gearing 130 -> 102.1115
Fletcher 127 -> 105.4083
Benson 124 -> 102.9184

Z-52 77 -> 64.7743
Z-46 73 -> 61.4094
Z-23(150) 69 -> 59.9417
Z-23(128) 69 -> 61.2882

Khabarovsk 97 -> 78.2465
Grozovoi 97 -> 79.2035
Tashkent/Udaloi 93 -> 78.83
Kiev 89 -> 76.8444
Ognevoi 89 -> 80.5098

Kutuzov 89 -> 66.5603

Akizuki 89 -> 76.7241

 

tier 9 10 RNCL=dead

they need serious buff if this mechanism is to come live

 

DDs however are not affected as much as i imagined.......

kutuzov is affected but i guess it's already overpowered enough

 

biggest worry i have is BBs trolling DDs and RNCLs with firing inside their smoke

Edited by jason199506
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
6 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

 

Well, the platoon sniper is also using a combination of tools that nobody else has because he decided to drop $40 to gain an advantage over everyone else. He's sitting in a magic ghillie suit that cancels out his body heat signature while using a special infrared sight so kill everyone he sees with no real fear of reprisal.

 

So yes, if its Battlefield or something, I'll just blow up the house he's in.

 

Seeing as how my Minotaur, Neptune and all the other RN cruisers were achieved without premium - unless it was awarded by the game - your presumption is wrong. You are stating your issue has nothing to do with the ship but rather the player who saved the coin to buy the ship to pay for a game that - apparently - you play for free? Uh huh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,296
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,764 posts
24,649 battles

German DDs will love this change, the only advantage they have is hydro and their smoke is the shortest duration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,112
[ADR]
Members
4,523 posts
17,109 battles

Dem poor German DDs with already craptacular smoke duration..   the Lelz.

 

Thankfully the Z23 showed me the error of my ways and made me drop the whole line  :P

Edited by Shadowrigger1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
924
[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

This would be a terrible idea if it made it out of testing. If they are worried about a smoke meta, they can encourage or add radar/hydro.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,108
[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

I'm just worried about how this will affect RN CLs, especially the Neptune and Minotaur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,885
[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles
4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

 

Seeing as how my Minotaur, Neptune and all the other RN cruisers were achieved without premium - unless it was awarded by the game - your presumption is wrong. You are stating your issue has nothing to do with the ship but rather the player who saved the coin to buy the ship to pay for a game that - apparently - you play for free? Uh huh. 

 

I specified Balfast you ninny. Widely known for literally being the most broken ship in the game next to Khabarovsk. A ship that you can only attain with cash or a lucky SC.

 

I'm not going to sail up to your Nep in my Iowa and blow your smoke away, although now I'm considering it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,255 posts

I knew 2017 was going to suck for Warships... They just keep making the game faster pace and dumbing it down. 

 

Let's all hope this doesn't see the light of day.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×