You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DOCTOR_CITADEL

The (Unicum) Help Desk

105 comments in this topic

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,574 battles

The (Unicum) Help Desk

Do you have a desire to step up your game-play? 

Are you frustrated by the lack of good information on a topic, availability of said information, or quality of said information? 

Ay28HDw.gif

Do you have derp moments like this^^^ and want to find out what you could have done differently? (We all do from time to time.)

Do you have a burning question concerning game mechanics, game-play, captain skills, strategies, tactics, or anything else WoWs-related?

Ask An Expert At The (Unicum) Help Desk Today!

How do I do that?

Easy! (Click here) to fill out a simple 2 minute form. Make sure to follow the instructions!

The more specific you make your question, the more specific the answer will be.

The Experts at The (Unicum) Help Desk

Would you like to become an Expert for The (Unicum) Help Desk and offer insight, answer questions,

and give suggestions by leaning on your experience and success in WoWs?

Would you like to be of service to the WoWs community?

First, Read The (Unicum) Help Desk Ruleset (click here).

If you agree to the terms and want to join as an Expert, PM me here on the forums. (Click here) to get started!

To view current Experts of The (Unicum) Help Desk (click here).

Don't forget to follow this thread for exciting ideas, fresh information, and notifications!

Eaj632f.png

• Cool 6

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Members
3,805 posts
16,317 battles

What is this "excel sheet" that suddenly appears in the requirements? Confused.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,574 battles
6 minutes ago, m373x said:

What is this "excel sheet" that suddenly appears in the requirements? Confused.

• Players will submit their question via the google form listed in the OP.
  • That form will populate to a google spreadsheet that vetted (Unicum) Help Desk Experts have access to. 
  • They will then quote that question back here on the thread in a post and answer/respond to it.
  • They will include an @player to alert that player that their question has been answered on the thread. 

This process allows for quality control whereas the old Help Desk did not. 

[-BRS-]
Members
676 posts
12,710 battles

"You must be a Unicum overall or a solid recent performer."

So anyone who doesn't have unicum stats will be reviewed and/or probably go through a brief interview?

Also, what if you don't necessarily follow the normal "conventional" style of play for the ships you play? This will cause disagreements with other experts answering questions obviously.

For example, most people say not use concealment on Soviet DDs and not to knife fight but I utilize CE to create situations people don't expect out of Soviet DDs and can easily knife fight in them. Feel free to look at my win rates and survival rates in them.

I've also given a lot of advice on Soviet DDs already. You can see my past history posts giving people advice about them.

Edited by Lightninger

[SPTR]
Members
20,141 posts
5,829 battles

I'll ask this, what do you define as Unicum stats? My recent Iowa Average Damage is in my opinion pretty good, but I don't get good XP, as my priority, unless there is a good chance to hit a more valuable target, are Battleships. WTR takes a pretty high percentage for damage dealt and none for capture/defense points. Average XP is impossible to calculate without WG's formula. W/R is perhaps the most reliable, but it can very much be due to luck. And how much of each is considered "Unicum"? Some of the best players for some ships aren't unicum- Rolkatsuki, my best friend on the forums, while a VERY skilled player isn't unicum in WTR or even in Average WR according to WarshipsToday, but is one of the best Dunkerque players (and for one period of time, the best) especially with the number of battles she has played with it. 

While I do understand that this is meant to be a helpful endeavour, I do indeed, in all honesty and no offense intended, feel that this carries about a sort of "elitism". While I admit that this is a little impacted by other stuff that are marginally related to this topic, I shall not elaborate on them. This thread does have a slight feel of wanting to help the needy as some sort of gift from the elites, or seeking approval by the masses with help given by you guys. I mean no offense, just wishing to point this point out (which I believe you've thought about in the making of this thread, and it is appreciated).

Despite all this, however, I would be glad to use information gained here, as someone who wishes to improve on his superaverage (1000 WTR, ALL THE GREEN) stats to help my team, clan and divisionmates, and I thank you and the other generous Unicums for helping, especially as a player who has been guided by one myself.

Maybe I could start off the question train.

-How do you deal with a Khabarovsk alone? You can't have the whole team firing on it at once, and that HE spam WILL whittle your health down, and its speed makes it hard to hit. Its HP pool and Repair make them horrible to deal with, too.

-How to you distinguish the speed of a ship coming head on? The smoke looks the same for all speeds head-on.

[-K-]
Members
3,392 posts
13,259 battles
8 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

-How to you distinguish the speed of a ship coming head on? The smoke looks the same for all speeds head-on.

I usually look for the wake if I can't tell by the smoke. I think there's also a mod that shows a red/green light based on whether the ship is moving forward or backward, but I never tried it.

Edit: Guess I have to disclaimer I'm not Registered Expert (TM) according to thread rules.

Edited by Edgecase

[-BRS-]
Members
676 posts
12,710 battles
8 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

I'll ask this, what do you define as Unicum stats? My recent Iowa Average Damage is in my opinion pretty good, but I don't get good XP, as my priority, unless there is a good chance to hit a more valuable target, are Battleships. WTR takes a pretty high percentage for damage dealt and none for capture/defense points. Average XP is impossible to calculate without WG's formula. W/R is perhaps the most reliable, but it can very much be due to luck. And how

I can answer this for you. Per the help page from warships.today, unicum is 1400+ WTR and he is likely talking about overall WTR. WTR is calculated with the following formula: Damage 50%, Kills 30%, Win Rate 20%

Per the rule sheet, unicum win rate is probably considered 60% win rate overall.

References

https://na.warships.today/help/warships_today_rating

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FWCoKoW0JZ9tEB2URBl0I8owUNLLA5-m5bk1MtQiq2U/edit

Edited by Lightninger

Members
863 posts
8,112 battles

Looking forward to contributing to this project!  Don't mind my recent WTR..... started grinding Fre ch cruisers and the lower tier ones are..... rough. 

• Cool 1

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,574 battles

Update to OP:

"To view current Experts of The (Unicum) Help Desk (click here)."

The first Experts have joined The (Unicum) Help Desk and are standing by!

(Permissions are fixed so that all can view this link now)

[ZR]
Members
380 posts
9,600 battles
51 minutes ago, khaenn35 said:

I'll ask this, what do you define as Unicum stats?

Unicum can be defined the same way as it is defined by Warships.today (luckily someone has already posted that).

However, I'll point out a few things to help you out:

My recent Iowa Average Damage is in my opinion pretty good, but I don't get good XP, as my priority, unless there is a good chance to hit a more valuable target, are Battleships.

In your opinion one may consider what you average to be good, while others don't. That is exactly why this help desk uses WT, since it is a database of averages between you and other players. To those who are on the top end of the system and thoroughly understand the logic to how it works, and what needs to be done to attain it (and sometimes use and abuse it), it lets the players who pose the question find out answers from the top players. 

Now, as far as your "priorities" while playing the game though, they can differ all across the board, from game to game. For me, my priority is to stay as effective as possible for the total 20 minute game duration. I don't want to be at the wrong part of the map where I assume no action is taken place (however, this in itself can be different, as you may be able to snag a free cap and flank the team). You say you want to mainly damage battleships, however, since we all know they are some of the most heavily armored ships in game, you should spend more time on focusing cruisers and destroyers to assist your team, and only worry about a battleship when he gives you a good target of opportunity, or when your team can collectively focus down a target one at a time.

Focus fire is the key to eliminating ships in a game. You'll see it in competitive matches where the team calls for a specific ship to die when they extend themselves, and typically they go down rapidly as the entire team is focusing just the one target.

W/R is perhaps the most reliable, but it can very much be due to luck.

You're looking at W/R in the wrong terms. Imagine luck doesn't exist. A saying I like to use personally is that "Luck doesn't exist. Luck is for those who go out and fail to achieve their mission." Therefor, luck is left for those who wish they can be aided by their own faults. This is all from Allan McNish.

Instead, look at other's W/R in terms of those who understand how a game can/will play out and attempt to put their full effort into making sure they come out on top. Many games can easily be won by one player, however, that is not to say that these games are easy in itself. I just wouldn't simply discount it for a matter of "someone being lucky" 67% of the time, because it's a measured statistic. Luck should be random no?

While I do understand that this is meant to be a helpful endeavour, I do indeed, in all honesty and no offense intended, feel that this carries about a sort of "elitism". While I admit that this is a little impacted by other stuff that are marginally related to this topic, I shall not elaborate on them. This thread does have a slight feel of wanting to help the needy as some sort of gift from the elites, or seeking approval by the masses with help given by you guys. I mean no offense, just wishing to point this point out (which I believe you've thought about in the making of this thread, and it is appreciated)

Everyone can have an opinion (and we all know the saying about them) but that doesn't mean it's a just opinion or fair either. In this case, you may be heavily overthinking it based upon prior instances that you have read/seen/heard about before. Just because you think it is does not mean that it is.

Edited by Swagger897
  • Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,965 posts
6,001 battles

I do well in Shchors, but I'm struggling with the Algerie... how should I be playing it? Any tips?

• Cool 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Alpha Tester
7,070 posts
3,664 battles

I highly recommend everyone taking advantage of the knowledge of guys like Doc. I wasn't shy about it in the other thread, and I haven't been shy before. 

The nice thing about asking Doc, and in this thread is it is unlikely you'll get much flak for asking questions. Where as, I've asked questions on Reddit before, and while generally helpful, I've also gotten TONS of flak because I "should know" what I asked because I was an Alpha player, according to them.

I persist asking "dumb questions" though. It is better to be a smart person who people assume is an idiot, than an idiot that everyone assumes is smart.

• Cool 5

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,574 battles
3 minutes ago, FayFay731 said:

Doctor_Citadel watches Gravity Falls confirmed.

I had to google that to see what you were talking about. lol

I actually robbed that gif from a Reddit post I saw a few days ago. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
989 posts
10,822 battles
2 hours ago, khaenn35 said:

W/R is perhaps the most reliable, but it can very much be due to luck.

Wins from game to game can very much be due to luck, Win rate over a large sample of game has much more to do with skill since randomness of good and bad luck eventually cancels out if you have enough games. Good players can consistently do things in the game to maximize their chance at winning the game and over many games this distills into a higher win rate than average. Good players does this by knowing the game mechanics, by leveraging the advantages of their particular ship while minimizing its weaknesses. DC's unicum skill requirement is to ensure that advice coming out of the help desk is accurate rather than perpetuating hearsays,opinions being passed off as facts and outright falsehoods that only further confused your average player; for that I applaud DC's efforts and look forward to seeing quality answers coming out of the help desk. 

• Cool 2

Members
863 posts
8,112 battles
35 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

This game doesn't require enough skill to warrant the term unicum...

You're entitled to your opinion but I would have to disagree. The difference between an experienced player who understands the game mechanics and has a solid grasp of tactics, and a person who bought a tier 7 premium while still grinding the Chester is astronomical.  I think the term Unicum is a little tongue in cheek but it represents, at least in this environment, a highly experienced individual that knows this game well and can provide insightful responses based on knowledge and sound theory and not anecdotes and hearsay. 

• Cool 2

[OPG]
Members
98 posts
11,601 battles
53 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

This game doesn't require enough skill to warrant the term unicum...

Your in a farragut with a broadside fuso at 3km from you and your torps are reloading.  Where do you shoot the Fuso?  If you dont know the answer than this is why we have unicums here to answer questions.  You shot the bow in front of the first gun or the stern behind the 4 gun with AP for 2000 hp salvos.

Edited by LordOFace

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,474 posts
13,247 battles
27 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

I highly recommend everyone taking advantage of the knowledge of guys like Doc. I wasn't shy about it in the other thread, and I haven't been shy before. 

The nice thing about asking Doc, and in this thread is it is unlikely you'll get much flak for asking questions. Where as, I've asked questions on Reddit before, and while generally helpful, I've also gotten TONS of flak because I "should know" what I asked because I was an Alpha player, according to them.

I persist asking "dumb questions" though. It is better to be a smart person who people assume is an idiot, than an idiot that everyone assumes is smart.

Thanks for this word. I kinda feel like an idiot when I think of something to ask. I've been playing for 2 years and have 7500+ battles behind me but I have always played to enjoy the game, never to be an expert of the game. Some of my questions are likely pretty basic. I'll have to give the good Doctor a shot on occasion when my head is burning (with a question, that is...)

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Members
98 posts
11,601 battles

QPewpewpew42 asks

"I do well in Shchors, but I'm struggling with the Algerie... how should I be playing it? Any tips?"

@Pewpewpew42 The Algeria plays more like the York than the Shchors. It is really good at citadelling enemy cruisers and its HE will start alot of fires. I recommend thinking about demo and firing HE from long range and AP at close range and broadside which is standard advice. Its AP may cause alot of damage to broadside BBs but it may bounce. If you bounce at center mass, pro-tip shot the broadside rear and bow of most bbs and you will get good pen damage due to the all or nothing approach of ships which leaves the bow and stern relatively unprotected.  Sometimes you may need to knife fight and get close.  Bow in towards the bb while still varying your angles slightly to confuse and maybe bounce the bb.  When you get close enough you can than attempt to torp the enemy BB.  I like to fire a set from one side to make the battleship turn in so i can than nail him with the other set.

• Cool 2

[HSD]
Members
343 posts
9,844 battles
5 minutes ago, LordOFace said:

Your in a farragut with a broadside fuso at 3km from you and your torps are reloading.  Where do you shoot the Fuso?

This question is severely lacking context.

- Which way are the Fuso's main guns pointed?

- How much HP does the Fuso have left?

- Why did I end up 3km away with reloading torps?

- Is there any cover nearby, status of smoke?

- Is it suffering from fire or flooding?

- Has the Fuso DamaConned recently?

- How much HP does my Farragut have?

- Condition of Fuso's secondaries?

- Based on my observations in game so far how do I rate this player?

- What's the condition of both teams and map situation?

- Other friendly ships, are they likely to eliminate him due to his positioning?

- Or can I get him to expose broadside to friendlies?

I can't confidently answer without some context.

Generic answers:

If you think it has a better pay-off shoot HE at the superstructure for a Fire(s).

Otherwise broadside at 3km, AP can work.

But those answers are contingent on other factors, if he has low HP AP will probably kill him quicker, HE might be better if I believe I'm going to die in the next salvo, he has nearly full HP and I know he has DamaConned recently.

[-K-]
Members
3,392 posts
13,259 battles

Thinking this project would be better if answers got bundled up and posted as separate posts. "Help Desk: How do I play Algerie?" Otherwise, between the arguments about who gets to be an "Expert", the question posting, and the peanut gallery comments on all of it, the single thread is going to be nearly unusable.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Members
3,805 posts
16,317 battles
10 minutes ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

This question is severely lacking context.

- Which way are the Fuso's main guns pointed?

- How much HP does the Fuso have left?

- Why did I end up 3km away with reloading torps?

- Is there any cover nearby, status of smoke?

- Is it suffering from fire or flooding?

- Has the Fuso DamaConned recently?

- How much HP does my Farragut have?

- Condition of Fuso's secondaries?

- Based on my observations in game so far how do I rate this player?

- What's the condition of both teams and map situation?

- Other friendly ships, are they likely to eliminate him due to his positioning?

- Or can I get him to expose broadside to friendlies?

I can't confidently answer without some context.

Generic answers:

If you think it has a better pay-off shoot HE at the superstructure for a Fire(s).

Otherwise broadside at 3km, AP can work.

But those answers are contingent on other factors, if he has low HP AP will probably kill him quicker, HE might be better if I believe I'm going to die in the next salvo, he has nearly full HP and I know he has DamaConned recently.

Or you can alternatively just shoot the bow without wasting time estimating how good/bad the Fuso is and what not.

• Cool 1

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Again, glad you guys are doing this and keep up the good work. Those that have issue with it, there are other threads in this forum where you can help. 

With the amount of battles that ive done, my average only moves something like .01% +/- per 2 battles. I'll never make it outta 57% total, but I keep 60%-63% 586 days to recent in solo. It doesn't bother me if I'm considered Umi or not, because really I could go both ways depending on how you look at it.

Just be thankful peeps are willing to help others. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1