NoZoupForYou

We need a ranked DD Cap - The Ranked Follies

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

62 posts in this topic

Yeah... 5 v 5 DDs in ranked?  Thanks but no.  Cap it at three per side.

but its ok to have 4v4, 5v5  etc Battleship matches.

Right. :Smile_sceptic:

Should have 6v6 CV battles

1 minute ago, Spyde said:

Not quite sure where you got that from, but that's not what he is talking about. Having 4-5 DD's per team is not anyone's version of fun.

4 minutes ago, Spyde said:

Pretty much yes.

It's been long shown that having that many DDs is far less than desirable..Even for the DDs.

But no one says anything of having 2 BBs, 2 DDs and the rest being Cruisers.

There is exactly one ship that benefits from having a ton of DDs and that's the Atlanta.

Unofficial response: We are aware of this and investigating it. We can say however any change would result in longer queues for ranked battles. 

1 minute ago, Sakuzhi said:

Pretty much yes.

It's been long shown that having that many DDs is far less than desirable..

But no one says anything of having 2 BBs, 2 DDs and the rest being Cruisers.

I bet Cruisers love having 4-5 BB Per team.

Guess its normal in this game,  Many DD's People lose their crap.   Ton of BB.. it's ok..   Cruisers will be fine.

1 minute ago, Spyde said:

I bet Cruisers love having 4-5 BB Per team.

Guess its normal in this game,  Many DD's People lose their crap.   Ton of BB.. it's ok..   Cruisers will be fine.

Yeah.

But no one likes having 4-5+ DDs a Team.

You have one class which isn't really effected (even as a Cruiser player it really doesn't matter if it's 5-6 BBs a team anymore than it is 3-4 of them to be honest. While all classes hate on the DD fest thing.

Including the DDs.

Apples and Oranges, pick a fight that you will actually win, few, if any, Destroyer captains want anything to do with a 5 DD a side game. Same in Randoms.

I've had about the same number of ranked games with no DDs than games with 3 or more DDs.

This is not a widespread problem.

Just now, HazardDrake said:

I've had about the same number of ranked games with no DDs than games with 3 or more DDs.

^ There is that. Generally speaking I've been seeing a lot of 2 DDs a team games, with a varying degree of Cruiser.

Nice touch with the music. Whenever I hear The Entertainer, I immediately think of The Sting. Such a classic.

24 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Out of all the classes to have in this situation, I prefer DD's the most. 

DD heavy matches are fast paced cap skirmishing battles that normally see's heavy actions in the onset of the match. 

7 minutes ago, Sakuzhi said:

Yeah.

But no one likes having 4-5+ DDs a Team.

You have one class which isn't really effected (even as a Cruiser player it really doesn't matter if it's 5-6 BBs a team anymore than it is 3-4 of them to be honest. While all classes hate on the DD fest thing.

Including the DDs.

Apples and Oranges, pick a fight that you will actually win, few, if any, Destroyer captains want anything to do with a 5 DD a side game. Same in Randoms.

Put me down as one of those players that enjoys DD heavy match ups.  Some of the most action packed battles I have experienced  have been with 5v5 DD's.

I seen everything from no BBs to no DDs.

11 minutes ago, steelrain97 said:

Not quite sure where you got that from, but that's not what he is talking about. Having 4-5 DD's per team is not anyone's version of fun.

Well having all DD's in a game would be my idea of fun or all CA/CL's or BB's even all CV's, It would be a Hoot. In ranked it is a team event that is serious (more serious to some than to others), so you would think it would be more evenly matched between ship types. When Life gives you lemons, you make Lemonade. I'm not calling a Destroyer a lemon but what is an MM to do? If Destroyers are what it's given you can't expect the match maker to chef you up a 2 Cruiser Chowder, 2 slices of Battleship Loaf with a baked CV potato and a double dipped 2 DD desert. It gives you what you give it to work with. It would be fun for a change of pace any way and it really doesn't happen that often. 12 Okhotnik's per team would be fun to see and to play.

52 minutes ago, Spyde said:

If it's up most players, it would be 7v7 BB death match without caps.

I used to want a little balance, if in randoms something like:

2-3 DDs

4-5 CAs

3-4 BBs

1 CV

Now classes have merged more with DDs edging towards CAs, CAs dipping into DD and BB territory and BBs having CA traits! I don't know what is balanced now lol.

It does seem to me that Ranked MM has been really wierd this season.  I don't think I've seen 5 DDs per side yet this season, but I've had several matches with 4 DDs per side and that's already wonky.  Conversely, I've also had several matches with *no* DDs -- 5 BBs and 2 CLs or similar.  In fact, I can remember at least once going from a 4 DD game into a zero DD game, back-to-back.

What makes no sense to me is that these highly imbalanced teams seem to happen even when the MM queue has a decent balance of ship classes queued up for battle, at least according to the numbers on the wait screen.  So I'm not sure why the MM feels compelled to make sure odd team compositions when it has a decent variety of "building blocks" to work with.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a little bit longer average wait time in the Ranked queue,  if this would make team composition a little more consistent.  *Some* variation is good -- I don't want every Ranked match to be 3 BBs, 2 CLs, and 2 DDs -- but it does seem to me that some of the outlier team makeups could be eliminated from the range of possible matchups, excepting perhaps when the MM queue is extremely imbalanced.

21 minutes ago, chewonit said:

If it's up most players, it would be 7v7 BB death match without caps.

That isn't remotely true and you know it.

Hard caps are a bandaid and dont fix the issues that are present that cause the population problem. The issues are A) that most people would be liabilities to their teams in CAs so they drive BBs or DDs and that camping behind an island all game is insanely boring but the only way to not be dead in most CAs, fix the issues that keeps CAs from being popular and the relative populations will be balanced. 

1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

Depends on the rank, games tend to be much more DD heavy at ranks 5-1 than they do outside of that because DDs make or break the games. 

1 minute ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Hard caps are a bandaid and dont fix the issues that are present that cause the population problem. The issue is that most people would be liabilities to their teams in CAs so they drive BBs or DDs, fix the issue that keeps CAs from being popular and the relative populations will be balanced. 

Depends on the rank, games tend to be much more DD heavy at ranks 5-1 than they do outside of that because DDs make or break the games. 

Segregating the ranks is part of the problem.

I'm fine with that many DDs. Some ranked battles need to be an utter fing mess to change things up. :D

As a destroyer player in Rank, even I don't want a game with more than 3 destroyers per side. 

Ideally I want there to be 1 or 2 per side. 

I'm not a fan of crazy imbalances of any ship class, but I get where it's coming from, and where we'd be going if we didn't let it happen (10 minute queues).

For what it's worth, I prefer 5 DD games to 5 BB games (and I've been in both this season). At least the DD deathmatch is over faster, and some caps might get taken.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I had a ranked battle a couple of weekends ago where I was in Fubuki and both sides had 4 DDs and 3 BBs.  I went to the off-cap and secured/took it. Then a red DD and I kill each other off in a close quarters knife fight. Within the first few minutes of the battle, almost simultaneously, all of us DDs on both sides had managed to trade our existence like it was the ending of some Sam Peckinpah western.  Still one special BB driver (think The Princess Bride/Mandy Patinkin) on my team found it to be something to beotch about. 

I had fun anyway.

Edited by lemekillmister