SmokinCAT

AA Ratings.

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

32 posts in this topic

Curious how AA ratings are compiled for ships, I currently have a few ships that have 100 AA ratings, yet the AA seems very mediocre. Montana for example, since they made BFT a 3 point captain skill it eats far too many points that are more valuable elsewhere for the captain, why were ships not adjusted that relied heavily on BFT to have decent AA?

Current spec now with just range upgrades is pretty pitiful even though it is listed as a 100 rating, yet the ship struggles with lower tier aircraft, even two torp squads of enterprise I usually only see 4 planes down at most from one strike. The ship should handle T7 planes without trouble but it doesn't.

One of the things crucial to AA is how far the long range AA can reach.  You can have a solid AA ship but you really need BFT/AFT to exploit it, especially at lower tiers.  Failure to do so will leave you a no fly zone right above the ship, but that really only affects DBs at that point.

With AFT and range upgrade the range is out to 7.5km, I will not give up points that go to making the ship handle damage better to put points into something that WG decided needed to be 3 points instead of 1.

Edited by SmokinCAT

8 minutes ago, SmokinCAT said:

With AFT and range upgrade the range is out to 7.5km, I will not give up points that go to making the ship handle damage better to put points into something that WG decided needed to be 3 points instead of 1.

Well, that is YOUR choice.  The other part of your question was how to deal with the TBs, and that is one of the tools out there.  It's all a matter of how you want to battle your ship :cap_rambo:

BFT was buffed from +10% AA DPS to +20% AA DPS when it was re-tiered. 

This is how I plan on building my 19-point captain for my USN BBs:

qCErhDL.png

I can see that for a three-point skill you may opt for something else, but I think +20% AA DPS is valuable to have for a full AA build.

I never was one to understand why people like concealment build BBs. It's my opinion that you will always be spotted forever and that doesn't bother me. And that it's focusing on something which isn't the strength of a BB, like trying to go for a full AA-spec DD (it can work but there are more effective builds).

I wouldn't trust these AA ratings, or any of the ratings in general. I prefer to compare the ships myself by multplying the range and damage of each mount, is far more accurate

10 minutes ago, Peregrinas said:

I never was one to understand why people like concealment build BBs. It's my opinion that you will always be spotted forever and that doesn't bother me. And that it's focusing on something which isn't the strength of a BB, like trying to go for a full AA-spec DD (it can work but there are more effective builds).

Well not really spotted all the time, montana for example with concealment gets down to 13.4km, take Hindenburg and it only gets down to 12.3km, its much better for getting into position.

11 minutes ago, Peregrinas said:

And than the moment arrives and you have a Missouri with only a surface detectionrange of 12,2 km.. US Battleships have already a good AA rating. You won't get more when it is 100

5 minutes ago, Lionel92 said:

And than the moment arrives and you have a Missouri with only a surface detectionrange of 12,2 km.. US Battleships have already a good AA rating. You won't get more when it is 100

:cap_wander:

Regardless....

Concealment & survivability.  Don't care about AA as the number of CV games at high tiers is nil.

12 minutes ago, _V12 said:

:cap_wander:

Regardless....

Concealment & survivability.  Don't care about AA as the number of CV games at high tiers is nil.

True, but you can get a high tier US BB with concealment and great AA rating. I prefer concealment above AA for the same reason but with the US line you can do both

24 minutes ago, SmokinCAT said:

Play without concealment, no thanks.

But you don't have to.

PT 

EM

SI BFT

AFT CE

That gives you 2 extra points. I plan to run that, except change out CE for MCSA (secondary build). Yes you have to drop fire prevention, but you can't have it all. If you want good AA, you have to give up something else. That's how most things work

I'm here to tell you that a full AA build USN BB is a plane deleter. The NC and AL are, and I expect the IA, MO, and even the secondary MT to be as well.

Just now, Lionel92 said:

True, but you can get a high tier US BB with concealment and great AA rating. I prefer concealment above AA for the same reason but with the US line you can do both

You do know....the AA "rating"....just like every other summary "rating" on that panel....is completely and utterly devoid of having useful interpretation....right?

4 minutes ago, _V12 said:

You do know....the AA "rating"....just like every other summary "rating" on that panel....is completely and utterly devoid of having useful interpretation....right?

It's about damage per second, I know

1 hour ago, Peregrinas said:

Depends on how much concealment. I have TASM1 on my Missouri and use CE on my Seagal captain. ~14km was too much detection, but ~12km gives me room to turn without asking to be deleted. I can understand why people don't want 16km detection, but pure stealth (CSM1 and CE) is often redundant.

3 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

Curious how AA ratings are compiled for ships, I currently have a few ships that have 100 AA ratings, yet the AA seems very mediocre. Montana for example, since they made BFT a 3 point captain skill it eats far too many points that are more valuable elsewhere for the captain, why were ships not adjusted that relied heavily on BFT to have decent AA?

Current spec now with just range upgrades is pretty pitiful even though it is listed as a 100 rating, yet the ship struggles with lower tier aircraft, even two torp squads of enterprise I usually only see 4 planes down at most from one strike. The ship should handle T7 planes without trouble but it doesn't.

Enterprise is unique in Tier VIII CVs in being able to use the 3rd upgrade slot that Tier IX ships get.  Because of that it's imperative she slots the upgrade to increase the HP of her bombers.  They are technically Tier VII planes but they have markedly improved HP.

Also, as a high tier USN BB user, the AA rating is nice but how dedicated are you in AA?  Montana, Iowa, Missouri, 'Bama, NC... Great AA with BFT+AFT+AAGM2, which will bring the AA rating to 100.  That is enough to deter some CV players.  But some will go after you, they will eat the losses as long as they expect to still land good hits.  You shoot down 4 Enterprise TBs, that is still 6 dropping on you and not to mention the DBs still to come.

Another thing is this:

3 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

You are not willing to truly make an AA Build on your Montana.  That's fine.  100 AA rating high tier USN BBs are still good AA boats, but just remember you're not putting in MFCAA trait, nor AAGM3 that presents a MASSIVE AA DPS boost.

You need to remember, if you're not dedicating an AA Build, then don't be surprised if you don't put in AA Build Plane-Swatting Numbers.  This is even more so when fighting equal or higher tier CV aircraft, and the CVs at IX-X are faster, more durable.

There's also another fact... What happened to you, how late was this in a match and what was the condition of your Montana at the time of Enterprise's attack?  Because if your Montana had been taking a lot of gunfire, suffered damage, fires, etc, then a very strong case can be made that a number of your AA mounts got rekt.  Did you slot Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1 to increase the durability of Secondary / AA mounts by 100%?  No?  Then your mounts get easy to destroy.  Even an Iowa with 100 AA rating that has gotten beaten up enough, is easy prey to a CV.

14 hours ago, _V12 said:

Check my sig, basically dump BFT, the two most important skills for your AAA are AFT and manual AA, BFT is nice, but really it's window dressing compared to those two.

15 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

Nothing is free... gotta give up something to get something.

If better aa is less valuable to than something else, that's the trade you make.  Or vice-versa.

15 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

Well not really spotted all the time, montana for example with concealment gets down to 13.4km, take Hindenburg and it only gets down to 12.3km, its much better for getting into position.

With the prevalence of dds at t8 and up (I typically see at least three per side per t10 match, oftentimes seeing five per side) it's a guarantee that anyone with more than a 6km detection range will be pretty much permaspotted.

16 hours ago, Peregrinas said:

BFT was buffed from +10% AA DPS to +20% AA DPS when it was re-tiered. 

This is how I plan on building my 19-point captain for my USN BBs:

qCErhDL.png

I can see that for a three-point skill you may opt for something else, but I think +20% AA DPS is valuable to have for a full AA build.

Yup, this is where I am headed with my USN BBs, except I swap PM for PT for the moment, but I may eventually change that.

I currently have PT, EM, BFT, AFT, and AR on my USN BB line Captain.(he's a 13 pointer right now) Still left to go on that build are MCFAA and BoS.

16 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

Then don't complain about poor AA.  Concealment isn't needed on battleships, USN or otherwise, at all.  Also, there's no reason to take stock in the port AA ratings.  A full strike Haku doesn't give a damn about anyone's AA unless defensive fire is active and really there's no real immunity from an all out attack from a carrier.  

But, really, a high tier AA build without Manual AA is not an AA build at all.  It's a must to compensate for damage output with how fast the Tier X planes are as they're not in your bubble for nearly as long.  

16 hours ago, Peregrinas said:

i felt the same way, but i found just having the concealment mod on my iowa has been helping quite a bit.  being able to do dark then punish people that don't know you are there is pretty powerful.  i prefer to be in the 10-15km range with my iowa, and knocking concealment down from 16 something to 14 something allows me to get in that zone easier.  plus you have more room to move around freely.    

i don't have CE, but it is tempting to knock it down to 12 something km.   might do that with my MO, when i get it.   that way i can make better use of its radar. 

22 hours ago, Warped_1 said:

One of the things crucial to AA is how far the long range AA can reach.  You can have a solid AA ship but you really need BFT/AFT to exploit it, especially at lower tiers.  Failure to do so will leave you a no fly zone right above the ship, but that really only affects DBs at that point.

I totally agree and if you are sailing a BB, at least in my opinion I consider BFT and AFT skills to be vital standard issue skills needed for all my BBs. BBs are huge often a little slow, but immensely powerful ships so they are prized targets for air attacks not to mention very rewarding for the CV to sink if they take you from full HP down to 0. So adequate AA protection is essential, not saying you can to have AA equipment or Manual AA unless you really want to since BFT and AFT are usually enough for self defense to break up the squadrons and down planes so anything that does get through is lessened greatly.

21 hours ago, SmokinCAT said:

It's not that huge of a deal, you will find most KM BBs won't be running concealment as they will have AFT and manual secondaries.  Sure it helps you sneak in closer on the initial push but to get the full effect you also need to hold your fire.  So unless you are sailing gun silent until you reach 13'ish KMs, you probably won't miss it.