Mr_Alex

Looks like they have found the J2f Duck that crashed in Greenland

  • You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

14 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Mr_Alex said:


Not sure if true, rumor is that the bodies of the crew of the J2F duck are still there

 

I don't think so. From what I've read on the story of Glacier Girl, the airmen in the planes were all rescued. Their planes were left behind, but they were all alive.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this kinda stuff.  Get that P-38!  Great plane.  Performed exceptional in the Pacific war with it's range and speed. Not as good in Europe. U.S. top ace R Bong flew the P-38 in the Pacific.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Love this kinda stuff.  Get that P-38!  Great plane.  Performed exceptional in the Pacific war with it's range and speed. Not as good in Europe. U.S. top ace R Bong flew the P-38 in the Pacific.

Turned like a brick, though.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Turned like a brick, though.

Boom and Zoom tactics with it. In the Pacific with it's exceptional speed it could dictate the fight with the much slower Japanese planes. It was the fastest U.S. fighter plane in WWII until the Mustang appeared.  P-47 was close.  I forget the exact numbers as to speed. Actually it turned better than many might think but turn fighting in it was not recommended. 


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Boom and Zoom tactics with it. In the Pacific with it's exceptional speed it could dictate the fight with the much slower Japanese planes. It was the fastest U.S. fighter plane in WWII until the Mustang appeared.  P-47 was close.  I forget the exact numbers as to speed. Actually it turned better than many might think but turn fighting in it was not recommended. 

I know all that. I was just commenting that it turned poorly compared to other planes at its time period.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Carrier_Lexington said:

I know all that. I was just commenting that it turned poorly compared to other planes at its time period.

Hey I was not disagreeing with you. You are correct. Ya know as the war went on speed became the goal in fighter design...not so much turning ability.  Speed.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Hey I was not disagreeing with you. You are correct. Ya know as the war went on speed became the goal in fighter design...not so much turning ability.  Speed.

Yep. BnZ became the popular tactic, since you could pounce upon enemies before they were able to organize themselves into a turning fight, and it meant that you had a higher chance of being able to evade AAA when you were doing non-fighting things (like ground attack or reconnaissance).


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Yep. BnZ became the popular tactic, since you could pounce upon enemies before they were able to organize themselves into a turning fight, and it meant that you had a higher chance of being able to evade AAA when you were doing non-fighting things (like ground attack or reconnaissance).

I knew several pilots growing up who flew in WWII.  I am 67. One of them, Art, flew P-47's and then was switched to P-51 in late 1944. They were ordered to do ground attack on the way home after escorting bombers to the target. He HATED having to do that. Dangerous. Very dangerous. 

Edited by dmckay

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dmckay said:

I knew several pilots growing up who flew in WWII.  I am 67. One of them, Art, flew P-47's and then was switched to P-51 in late 1944. They were ordered to do ground attack on the way home after escorting bombers to the target. He HATED having to do that. Dangerous. Very dangerous. 

Yeah. I don't know where the myth that fighters are more effective against ground-attack aircraft came from. Massed AAA batteries are still quite dangerous.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

 

I don't think so. From what I've read on the story of Glacier Girl, the airmen in the planes were all rescued. Their planes were left behind, but they were all alive.

Not true according to this link, the remains of the crew of the J2F duck are still there

http://gsnmagazine.com/article/29480/retrieving_human_remains_buried_beneath_40_feet_ic

 

The remains of the Duck’s crew, if they can be recovered, will be transported back to the United States, says the Coast Guard’s document.

The Defense Department announced last January that an expedition team consisting of Coast Guard personnel and commercial scientists and explorers used historical data, ground penetrating radar and metal detection equipment to locate the down aircraft.

“After zeroing in on the likely location of the resting place of the ‘Duck’ beneath the ice near Koge Bay, Greenland, the team of searchers melted five 6 inch holes in the ice and lowered specially designed camera scopes into the holes,” reported the online publication, Alaska Native News. “About thirty-eight feet below the surface of the ice in the second hole, the team observed black cables that are consistent with the wiring used on the J2F-4 Grumman Duck. After looking further, the team also found aircraft components similar to the ones used on that aircraft.”

 


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dmckay said:

  P-47 was close.  

 

The P-47M was actually absurdly fast even when compared to the P-51 and the P-38. They accounted for all 4 of the 56th Fighter Squadron's Me 262 kills.


0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

 

The P-47M was actually absurdly fast even when compared to the P-51 and the P-38. They accounted for all 4 of the 56th Fighter Squadron's Me 262 kills.

Ya.  I knew the later P-47's were fast but I don't remember the stats. It can be argued IMO that the P-47 was the best all around fighter in WWII. P-51 D was a 440 MPH fighter which was much faster than the BF109 and also faster than the FW190....except for the late model Dora FW but not many of these saw action.

Edited by dmckay

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.