You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DOCTOR_CITADEL

The Help Desk

133 comments in this topic

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,574 battles

Your Garden-variety, Typical, Everyday Player In WoWs 

Ay28HDw.gif

For the most part, I am consistent with my play, but sometimes, I have days where I feel like that, too. No matter what I do, things just refuse to go how I intend them to. I make blunders, misjudge situations, forget basic mechanics, and overall just frustrate myself to no end. 

There was a thread yesterday (click here), that prompted me to write this post.

Most of the time, answering questions on the WoWs forums feels like a fruitless effort. Occasionally, maybe somebody is helped, but most of the time it's just a back and forth exchange that ends in angst, anger, and hostility over differing opinions and ideas.

The intent of this post is to offer an area to everyone where specific, to-the-point questions can be answered and addressed by players that are experienced, skilled at the game, willing to take a few minutes out of their time to help, and do so in a civil manner.

You can do this anywhere on the forums, you say? Of course you can, but there will be a few, simple rules in place here that improve the experience: 

• If you have a question, first use the search function to see if it's already been addressed anywhere on the forums. A few minutes of perusing can easily answer most basic questions. If you aren't satisfied with the information you have found in your search, then ask here. 
  • This is not a debate platform. It is a place for anyone to ask a specific question and for only experienced players to answer them. Answers to a question can be debunked, but only with one post per topic. If the player that provided the original answer is debunked, they are allowed one response to the debunk, then that chain is broken. Both the original question and answer being debunked must be quoted in both cases. Players should make their points carefully, thoughtfully, and succinctly.
  • Only experienced players should be providing the answers here. I'm not going to set Unicum-level restrictions to answer questions here, but some restrictions have to be put in place to ensure that good information is being offered. The assertion being that above-average players are going to be much more likely to have the experience and insight needed to offer good information. This isn't intended as a slight at anyone below these metrics, but it is necessary to ensure good information is being passed around. Here are the metrics that have to be met for those that would like to answer/address the questions put forth.
    • +50% overall W/R
    • +1000 overall WTR
    • +2000 games (if you have fewer games than this, but feel like you are ahead of the curve, use your own judgement)
    • If a question is asked on a specific ship, you must have a minimum of 25 games in that ship to answer the question.
    • You can find out if you meet the restrictions required to answer questions in this format here

Ask away and answer away! Please remember to be civil and respectful here! This is intended to help those learn that truly want to learn, not to attack anyone for their ideas. However, if you put out bad information, fully expect to be debunked, and quickly. Any overtly hostile posts will be reported and (hopefully) taken down by the WoWs moderation team.

If you are interested in actively answering questions and/or participating in this (hopefully) long-term and ongoing project, don't forget to "follow" this post so you will get notifications of activity!

c1c91512f0fa429d2c50f3834771e538.png

MAJOR UPDATE: 

Presenting: The (Unicum) Help Desk (click here)

Guys, I will still be active on this thread, answering questions when I can, but I have started a new thread that is a significantly more focused effort than this one.

My efforts will be much more focused there. I'll also be able to provide some measure of quality control after this thread quickly demonstrated it would be impossible to do in its current format.

Hope to see you guys there!

• Cool 3

[WOLF7]
Members
10,588 posts

Where's the sarcasm tag?

Or are you really seriously trying to tell people what they can post and when?:Smile_facepalm:

[YOHB]
Members
250 posts
10,487 battles
4 minutes ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

Most of the time, answering questions on the WoWs forums feels like a fruitless effort. Occasionally, maybe somebody is helped, but most of the time it's just a back and forth exchange that ends in angst, anger, and hostility over differing opinions and ideas.

Because most people are not here to actually get help, they're looking for validation of their preconceived opinions.

• Cool 4

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,252 posts

Such cut and dry rules you got there. 

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,967 posts
7,987 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Where's the sarcasm tag?

Or are you really seriously trying to tell people what they can post and when?:Smile_facepalm:

Shouldn't be a problem for you, op is only setting rules for helpful posts which does not cover troll posting. You should be fine. 

• Cool 2

Members
1,507 posts
1,138 battles

I feel like this is one of those threads that is predestined to go in the opposite direction of what OP wanted

And I'm curious as to how you anticipate enforcing those rules of yours

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,252 posts
2 minutes ago, More_Witches said:

I feel like this is one of those threads that is predestined to go in the opposite direction of what OP wanted

It will not go the way OP is thinking it will. 

For one, I'm going to be responding to questions here, even while not being "qualified" to provide answers. I will be doing this mostly because the thought that only certain groups of people are able to give advice pisses me off. 

Edited by RivertheRoyal
  • Cool 1

Members
1,507 posts
1,138 battles
1 minute ago, RivertheRoyal said:

For one, I'm going to be responding to questions here, even while not being "qualified" to provide answers. I will be doing this mostly because the thought that only certain groups of people are able to give advice pisses me off. 

I feel the same way, but at the same time I think I understand why the OP listed those qualification rules

That being said, one doesn't have to meet those qualifications in order to provide helpful answers, nor does meeting those qualifications necessarily mean one knows what they're talking about

Members
3,545 posts
8,807 battles

Should I get Evasive Maneuvers for my Bougainville captain?  

I'm hoping to train him up for when I can afford to convert my 3.8 million xp to get the Missouri. After all that, I won't be able to afford more doubloons to redistribute skill pts and respec. Aspirant Jean Jacuinet for SE.

Sincerely,

Eyes All-round in Blackfoot, Idaho

[SF-13]
Members
573 posts
4,132 battles

While I applaude your intentions Doc, this is not going to go how you hope, as the comments already posted should tell you.

Pity.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,574 battles
1 hour ago, RivertheRoyal said:

The guidelines were not set to purposely irritate anyone (even though I suspected they probably would). They are in place to ensure that answers are given from a position of experience. Everyone has an opinion on just about everything, but not everybody has the experience to back that opinion up.

I can only assume that it's the games played that is irking you as you easily meet the other qualifications. 

• Players with 1000 games in are still very new and still learning.
  • Players that have 2000 games in are beginning to become accustomed to the game. 
  • Players that have 3000 games in should have solid grasp on the game by then. 

I dropped the games played from 2500 to 2000, but logically, it makes no sense to go lower. This is a niche thread intended to provide good information and help those that want to be helped. It has a few (realistically very low) restrictions for quality control, nothing more, nothing less. 

I did add an extra provision to the games-played rule in the OP as there are some exceptional players, such as yourself, that are ahead of the curve, but have a lower game count. 

[RIPCV]
Members
287 posts
888 battles

Can I give some help here if someone asked? 
I mean I have just about 100 games on NA.
but I have over 3500 games on ASIA and played all classes.
> 54% WR
> 1200 WTR

I think this is enough to qualify your criteria
:Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,586 posts
4,201 battles

Hmm, somehow I feel like I should also answer questions. Number of battles, WTR, and win rate do not always make a great player.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,574 battles
18 minutes ago, More_Witches said:

It will have to be on the honor system. I'm not going to be able to check every poster.

9 minutes ago, KiwiColdbeer said:

While I applaude your intentions Doc, this is not going to go how you hope, as the comments already posted should tell you.

Pity.

I wouldn't say that. I expected there to be initial blow-back, but if we all begin to focus on the original intent, we can get started.

3 minutes ago, New_Horizontal said:

Can I give some help here if someone asked? 
I mean I have just about 100 games on NA.
but I have over 3500 games on ASIA and played all classes.
> 54% WR
> 1200 WTR

I think this is enough to qualify your criteria
:Smile_teethhappy:

If you feel like you meet them based on past experience on other servers, have at it.:cap_rambo:

[ADR]
Members
4,329 posts
13,765 battles

You just told a bunch of Internet know-it-alls that they can't post in your help desk.   LoL.. you expect that to go over well ?    Everyone knows the old saying,   "Opinions are like..    Everyone has one, and they all stink"...   Problem is these days, Peoples opinions are their perceived Fact.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

[RIPCV]
Members
287 posts
888 battles
1 minute ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

If you feel like you meet them based on past experience on other servers, have at it.:cap_rambo:

My pleasure :cap_tea:
FYI: ASIA experience is far worse than NA so I think I can help people get away with it.

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Members
3,805 posts
16,311 battles

How to effectively use the new Khabarovsk's torps that are coming in 0.6.8?

Members
7,586 posts
22 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

Word, double word, and triple word.

Just because I don't have a 50% WR doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. It means that I can't always apply what I know well. Knowledge and application aren't the same thing. It also doesn't take 25 battles to know a ship and how it works, or more, contrary to the cherished unicum notion.

A lot of "sub-par" players know far more about the game than the unicums, they had to study the game intensely, it didn't come to them naturally.

Your "rules" are an elitist, absurd joke. I respect you, man, and I expected more from you than this.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Oh look, I only have a little over 1k battles. Boo hoo guess I can't help if someone is having issues with graphical settings or what key does what by default or if they're having issues with some other thing that totally requires over 2k games to help with.

Sure, maybe I don't know all the finer details of tier 10 gameplay, but you'll be a damned monkey if you say I can't help someone who is having an issue figuring out how to lead with the dynamic cross-hair or wants to know why the Arizona doesn't have torpedoes or some shite.

Bug off OP. I'll help whoever I damn well please.

[edit] Also, I have no idea what my current stats are atm. I haven't bothered to look in like...5-ish months.

Edited by Kitsunelegend
  • Cool 1

[CAFE]
Members
1,427 posts
11,228 battles
26 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

This kind of logic is the exact reason why this will not work Doc. You are dealing with forum warriors here who prefer to play the forum rather than the game. All this thread will do is provide a cesspool of bad advice with a few nuggets of useful information... 

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,586 posts
4,201 battles
1 minute ago, FratStar4Life said:

This kind of logic is the exact reason why this will not work Doc. You are dealing with forum warriors here who prefer to play the forum rather than the game. All this thread will do is provide a cesspool of bad advice with a few nuggets of useful information... 

:Smile_sceptic:

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,310 posts
7,409 battles
46 minutes ago, DOCTOR_CITADEL said:

Your Garden-variety, Typical, Everyday Player In WoWs 

Ay28HDw.gif

For the most part, I am consistent with my play, but sometimes, I have days where I feel like that, too. No matter what I do, things just refuse to go how I intend them to. I make blunders, misjudge situations, forget basic mechanics, and overall just frustrate myself to no end. 

There was a thread yesterday (click here), that prompted me to write this post.

The intent of this post is to offer an area to everyone where specific, to-the-point questions can be answered and addressed by players that are experienced, skilled at the game, willing to take a few minutes out of their time to help, and do so in a civil manner.

You can do this anywhere on the forums, you say? Of course you can, but there will be a few, simple rules in place here that improve the experience: 

• If you have a question, first use the search function to see if it's already been addressed anywhere on the forums. A few minutes of perusing can easily answer most basic questions. If you aren't satisfied with the information you have found in your search, then ask here. 
  • This is not a debate platform. It is a place for anyone to ask a specific question and for only experienced players to answer them. Answers to a question can be debunked, but only with one post per topic. If the player that provided the original answer is debunked, they are allowed one response to the debunk, then that chain is broken. Both the original question and answer being debunked must be quoted in both cases. Players should make their points carefully, thoughtfully, and succinctly.
  • Only experienced players should be providing the answers here. I'm not going to set Unicum-level restrictions to answer questions here, but some restrictions have to be put in place to ensure that good information is being offered. The assertion being that above-average players are going to be much more likely to have the experience and insight needed to offer good information. This isn't a slight at anyone below these metrics, but it is necessary to ensure good information is being passed around. Here are the metrics that have to be met for those that would like to answer/address the questions put forth.
    • +50% overall W/R
    • +1000 overall WTR
    • +2000 games (if you have fewer games than this, but feel like you are ahead of the curve, use your own judgement)
    • If a question is asked on a specific ship, you must have a minimum of 25 games in that ship to answer the question.
    • You can find out if you meet the restrictions required to answer questions in this format here

Ask away and answer away! Please remember to be civil and respectful here! This is intended to help those learn that truly want to learn, not to attack anyone for their ideas. However, if you put out bad information, fully expect to be debunked, and quickly. Any overtly hostile posts will be reported and (hopefully) taken down by the WoWs moderation team.

If you are interested in actively answering questions and/or participating in this (hopefully) long-term and ongoing project, don't forget to "follow" this post so you will get notifications of activity!

c1c91512f0fa429d2c50f3834771e538.png

yeah, i dont care about your rules, ill help people no matter what my stats are

• Cool 1

Members
1,507 posts
1,138 battles
3 minutes ago, FratStar4Life said:

Problem is, stats are not what makes the advice one gives good or bad

Knowing what you're talking about, and being able to relay that information in a way that is relatively simple and easy to understand, is what makes advice good or bad

• Cool 1

Members
1,507 posts
1,138 battles
1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

Two questions so far and I actually would like to hear the answers.

Neither of those questions appear to be remotely serious