Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Polkadot9000

Is there a clear definition as to what mods are permitted?

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

8 posts in this topic

I've done a bit of googling, but I'm unclear as to what & where the line is. The older threads I've found from 2016 have said it's about not having an unfair advantage over other players, which I find to be a very nebulous definition of what is and isn't permitted. But I've also found the world of tanks fair play policy poke its head up in these searches.

My question is of course where the line is, I'm newer to the game but I feel some mods could help as they did back when I started out in WoT (with regard to providing information I hadn't yet learned in game, e.g. viewrange of a tank, in this game spotting distance of the ship).

As such I've been going through Aslain's and I've found a few which under the more nebulous definition laid out in 2016 are unclear as to whether or not they are permitted, and I thought it would be better to ask about them than install and end up in breach of the rules.

1. This reticle mod which gives you the BB 20knot timings on the diagonal.  (I know it doesn't link to the mod, but to a picture of it, I couldn't find the direct link)

This mod tells you whether a ship is going forward, backwards or stationary

I'm not gonna link, but a zoom out mod (remaining tethered to the ship ofc) which can help with situational awareness.

This minimap mod which can show the direction of a targeted enemy ship on the minimap
This mod which increases tracer visibility

This info panel about enemy ships

I just want to know what is and isn't permissible if it is the more nebulous definition, or if there is a clearer boundary.

Thanks very much!

So far all of Aslains mods have been fine. You can also find the modpack WG updates and all those are approved but not supported.

They're all good. Aslains makes sure none of his mods are bad or not.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here is an easy way to avoid all the ambiguity, doubt, risk, and problems when patches are released.

Run Vanilla.

Also, on the WoWs forums, they list a modpack they condone and approve of, so if you are going to run mods, run that one.

Aslains is also a good source.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil

The mods you listed only change how information, that is readily available to you, is shown. Mods that are not allowed: Any that give you a definitive advantage over other players or use information that is not meant to be shown to the player. The only "illegal" mod that i can think of is aim assist.

Even for the aim assist mod, they gave plenty of warning before they started banning.

Aslain's is always a safe bet. The rest... just kind of use your head. If it shows you info you already have, but more visible and stuff, probably safe (tracers, minimap, etc). If it gives you entirely new info... like "shoot here for correct lead", probably not (in this case explicitly not)

Aslain directly asked about the movement mode. He was told that it was fine.

If Aslain has a concern about the legality of any of his mods he does the right thing and directly contacts WG and asks.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0