Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ObiphanKenobi

The French Navy Cruiser: Duguay-Trouin

11 comments in this topic

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,961 battles

The French Navy Cruiser

Duguay-Trouin

Quick Summary: Easily deleted in full salvo or several salvo due to poor armor (trade mark from La France), very slow turning and lost tremendous speed. Had hydro-acoustic and 4x3 torp for fun uses. 

Cost:  735 000 credits, 7000 ship experiences to research

PROs

• Good torping arsenal and combined of hydro-acoustic.
  • The advantages of AB-XY layout.
  • Fast boat

CONs

• Very poor concealment
  • Poor armor protection
  • Extremely poor rudder shift turn
  • Slow main turrets reload time
  • Just alright AA cover for self defense

REVIEW

Nothing like the Friant, The Dug loses her speed when turning/wiggling (up to 5 knots) made her an easy target if get focus fires early in the game. This with poor armor protection + large detection radius meaning you will get deleted very fast. At this early tier ship, it best to learn the WASD hack and the mini-map skill.

Let look a little closer to the current in-game armor of the Duguay:

• Her citadel 26-29mm
  • Gun casemate 16 mm
  • Armor deck 10-20mm
  • Forward/Aft 13mm

While playing the Duguay, I felt that she took 45 secs to reach max speed (33 knots). I tested her with the WASD hack, from straight line to 45 degree turn = I lost 5 knots, for 90 degree turn my speed reduced down to 25/26 knots. The Duguay-Trouin can still be “nuke” from BB even with the B hull. Her detection is 13.32 km by sea and 6.96km by air, so don’t rush ahead, stay with your fleet and see how the game develop first.

If you are in game with CV presented, be aware of the map/game situation going to develop and to ready to dodge in coming torp wave as dodging will loses you speed. The good news is that CV going to auto-drop and therefore you can anticipated his moves, the bad news is that you still can be deleted if focus fires during the “turning”. 

GtdhYmW.jpg

Primary Armament

The Duguay-Trouin is armed with 4x2 155 mm in a turret gun layout (AB-XY). This is the same as the Friant’s turret layout, however, her dispersion is 127m when compared to the Friant’s 113m. Her spread is wider but still considered to be tight (accurate) at her tier.

Her gun performance is described to be unstable. I felt that the velocity when fire from the Duguay somehow more floating. Her HE shells need a medium lead when aiming, while her AP is not so much.  

On the other hand, the Duguay’s HE will have more chance of fire (11%, 12% with flags) per hits but the down size is they felt like they are “floating in the sky” more than likely to land on the targeted ships.

The flaws of these gun are the reload time, and the floating time of the shell when shooting at range. Capt skill Adrenline Rush to mitigate the reload and used your common sense with the current situation the ship at. Due to the disadvantage when you turn or wiggle = loosing speed + take little longer to get back to the max speed, all your previous playing style from the Friant is required. 

Duguay-Trouin’s playing style to be different due to her turret layout and high rate of fire at the early tier. She had to be very careful at the game commenced, watch the mini map and not to get too close to the frontline. Take aim when fire HE a bit, and medium when AP. Her range is 13.65km therefore she can be second line ship with fire support. The Duguay with captain skill Demolition Expert will boost to total of 14% chance of fire (included fire flags = Victor Lima, India X-Ray). Make sure you also equipped the -100% detonation flag, Juliet Charlie to mitigation the negative effects of the fire flags.

The Duguay’s also had hydroacoustic consumable making her BB support role very effective, but I counted the hydroacoustic as Secondary Armament.

Secondary Armament

The Duguay has the 4x3 torpedo mounted (6km range) – 2 on each side to the 1/2 of the ship length. The arc is alright but keep in mind of her disadvantages so that use the torp in a very situational. There will be a scenario when you try to slightly turn to let loose the torp and “woa lah!!, full broadside and instant deleted; yum yum submarine run”. I got deleted like that when I get cocky.

The Duguay is not a good ship for rush in and capture point or yolo with the dd at early game stage. Her big detection radius and her sluggish will make her the easiest target. Instead determine your role in the beginning of the game, supportive ships and use hydro so that bb can evade in-coming torps. There is a game when nearly at the end, I used my hydro to hunt down the last 2 dd in their smoke and surprised them. So her role is very versatile. 

The Duguay’s AA, to me, just OK. I used them and combined with catapult fighter to disrupt the dive bomb squadron and use the WASD hack to avoid the torp squadron. I also hang around the BB, so to combine their AA for more superior fire power + increase the torp warning system. What do I mean by this? Catapult fighter while in the air can detect in-coming torp too. So it secondary to hydro-acoustic. It will not detect ships in smoke though.

Ok, ok, by now, it still early, you are at tier4. Time to go and learn more about game mechanic.

Maneuverability

The Duguay’s top speed is at 33 knots, it will take approximately around 45 sec to reach it, her rudder time is 10.9 sec and the big turning circle radius is 670m. The Duguay will bleed tremendous speed when executing a turn, a slight turn or just to wiggle to dodge incoming shells. If you had slow down, another 45 secs to back up to the speed. So the general feeling is like you are turning a tank.

Durability and Defense

As any other France cruisers, your steering and rudder will get knock out constantly to the point of frustration. I suggested to have the upgrade modules Main Armament Modification 1 (main guns + torp tubes); Steering Gear Modification 1 to earn the bonus “-20% of modules incapacitated from enemy shells”; Adrenaline Rush – shoot faster = more shells = more fire chance = more damage and Demolition Expert, extra 2% of fire is very nice.

The Duguay’s  HP is 26700 with fully upgraded, if a driver is not WASD enough, this HP can be wipe off in 2 salvos with paper thin armor protecting it or in a situation of focus fires from multiples ships. Suggesting don’t commit to sudden turn but slightly turn and slightly wiggle your tail. Don’t get into turn to fight dd as they will out turn you but rather anticipate his movement.  

How to Kill It

The Duguay is a support ship. In the hands of an expert player, using her as a fire breather at medium range, assisted allies with detecting incoming torp and fight off dd, she can burn low tier ships with her high rate of fire shells.  

• In Destroyers: be extremely caution when engaging the Duguay at close range (within 6km).  She can easily bring her 155mm 4x2 gun barrels and a 4x3 torps to fend you off. Fire 1 salvo so that the Duguay commit to a turning, don’t forget she going to lose speed, then fully release the rest slightly in front, inward because she not going to make out.
  • With Cruisers: be aware of her very large detection radius and her disadvantage. Any opportunities you get to fire AP into her soft armor should be taken care of her. Don’t get into her torp because her main guns + torp can kill you first.
  • For Battleships: keep the distance away from 6km, focus fires her once she got detected. Stick with AP rounds no matter what aspect she gives you. 
  • Carriers: should treat her similarly to any cruiser. If you are playing low tier CV, use the auto cross-drop or, in T6 CV, 1st salvo and anticipate her turning direction to drop the 2nd load. Don’t forget to calculate that she will lose her speed. Keep her spotted for ally ships to focus fires on her/and or ping her on the map and she will be sunk first.

Overall Impressions

She can fend off dd, frustrated them if played right, Duguay’s HE can damage dd if play right. Caused fire damage over time on bb and at some point in game, in randomness, can kill off cruiser. She not a rush in ship but rather very conservative as support ship and advance at the right time. Use her high rate of fire and her secondary to maximize the support role

She can barrage HE shells and cause constant fire, play every well within 6km and couple with other ships. Not good if found alone (yoloing is bad)

If you can learn your WASD hack, mini-map skills, and how to dodge CV’s torp, play her right, she can be a very good ships.

Recommended Modules:

• Your first slot is easy: Main Armaments Modification 1 is the only one that makes sense
  • For your second slot: Steering Gear Modification 1 was recommended. Well at least I am not frustrated anymore; I can still limping away

Recommended Consumables:

I cant stress enough on how important it is to equip a premium Damage Control Party.  You will get modules incapacitated message (hint hint steering and rudder) very, very often in this ship. However, you will advance through this ship very quick though, Emile Bertin is what you aiming at

Recommended Captain Skills:

• For tier 1: Preventative Maintenance should be one of the first skills you grab (hint from the Recommended Consumables above – enough said).
  • For tier 2: I strongly recommend investing in Adrenaline Rush over Last Stand. You're going to need this for "dishing out" as much shots as possible
  • For tier 3: Demolition Expert is your best choice taking full advantage of the France cruiser line
  • For tier 4: there aren't very many good choices. Concealment Expert is probably the best option.

Wish list: Due to the Duguay main guns are 155mm, it will not benefit from the Advance Fire Training  Captain skills to increase the range. IFHE maybe benefit, Last Stand and Basics Survivability,

• Recommended Flags:
    • Indian  X-Ray and Victor Lima to increase your fire chances
    • Juliet Charlie to mitigate the "detonation effect"
    • Any other XP flags to your liking

• Recommended Camouflage:

Just like any other cruiser, it is best if you are not detected and able to rain shells at the enemy so any camouflage that at least have -3% to detection, +4% to enemy dispersion when shooting at you + any other extra bonus

6yabvWU.jpg

k69ckk3.jpg

9hF3E2l.jpg

dQwXOsB.jpg

ex8BrOw.jpg

SFTbMa0.jpg

• Cool 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

Nice write up! The only thing I would disagree with is going with Last Stand over AR. You do soooo much kiting with these, that your rudder or engine is always getting hit. It has saved me a ton during this grind. Just my 2 cents. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,961 battles

Hi Sir_Davos_Seaworth;

When you have a chance to play in your Duguay, can you keep a record of  a few scenarios and try to keep them similar as follow:

1 - knitting other in early game (play around 10 matches and record the result)

2 - knitting other in middle game (play around 10 matches and record the result)

3-  hunting other toward end of game (play around 10 matches and record the result)

regards,

[SPTR]
Members
26,344 posts
11,634 battles

Good write up! Still wondering about if it's worth replacing my Kuma with this since the 1st thread on this little french cruiser...

Members
158 posts

I think this ship is OP. After nearly 50 games I have 66% winrate and average 34k damage a game. I do more damage in this than some of my Tier 6/7 cruisers.

At tier 4 this  is second in the stats for CLs

Probably my favourite CL

Edited by anonym_xgAO60ZDNRAq

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,961 battles

AwhrLCO.jpg

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,845 battles

One thing I didn't see you mention is that the Duguay-Trouin main guns have better range than almost every Tier 3 and Tier 4 cruiser and BB. I like to sit back close to max range and rain HE and AP sheels on ships that can't reach me early in battle. Use her strengths to your advantage and she can do a lot of damage in the right situations. She has weak armor  & poor concealment so I don't get real aggressive till later on after some enemy ships have been sunk. I don't play her that much but I like her. I have the premium ship De Grasse so my climb up the French cruiser tree will be slow.

Edited by dust340man

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,961 battles

@dust340man

6 hours ago, dust340man said:

One thing I didn't see you mention is that the Duguay-Trouin main guns have better range than almost every Tier 3 and Tier 4 cruiser and BB. I like to sit back close to max range and rain HE and AP sheels on ships that can't reach me early in battle.

At near max range or max range, the shells seem to be floating in the air, this aiming need to be very experiences. For most player at their t3/t4, they don't know how to adjust the "leads". For experienced player, they found it extremely easy. This guide is mainly focus on the in-experienced players.

[MLPVA]
Members
209 posts
3,108 battles

While you make some good points in your guide, I've found her to be tremendous amounts of fun playing her like an oversized destroyer, using her speed to close in early to make torpedo runs against the enemy ships.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,092 posts
10,961 battles

@DarfTarts421

Wait till you get to the Emile ............ the speed of cruiser that faster then dd

Then the play style change dramatically t7/t8

Sign in to follow this