Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Got a new book to, er, listen to.

4 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

It's called Sentinals of Fire by P.T. Deutermann.

I cannot recommend this book enough to all you fellow ship nuts!!!

Quick blurb, paraphrasing the jacket liner:  It's about a young LT Commander who gets a promotion to XO, and is transferred to the USS Malloy (a Gearing class DD) on the eve of the invasion of Okinawa.  Vividly describes life aboard a tin can, as well as attacks by Kamakazes, etc.  I'm only half way through, but it's had me on the edge of my seat several times!

If you see it- BUY IT, Borrow it, whatever you have to do- just get your hands on it.  VERY much worth the read!

Having just been aboard a Fletcher class DD: The USS The Sullivans, this book is all the more vivid to me.  I can actually picture in my mind exactly what the author is writing about.  I got it on CD, with [edited] Hill narrating.

• Cool 1

Members
536 posts
13,778 battles

Thanks Fletch, always looking for a good book. I have a long drive coming up and I like to listen to books while I drive. How is the narrator? and how long is it? 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

It's 8 CD's, and runs for 11 hours.  The narrator does a good job- he narrates a lot of books on CD.  I can't believe the forum edited his first name...

I've had other books from P.T. Deutermann before, and they've all been good.

Sign in to follow this