Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Dorja

[IMAGE HEAVY] Ranked S7 - My Goals and My Picks

19 comments in this topic

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

At the end of Ranked Season 6, I made a thread about how I met my goals for ranked and I discussed the ships I did the lion's share of my play in, why I chose them, how I used them, how they worked out, and what theories I had which did not stand the test of battle (for example, last season I thought Scharnhorst would be an amazing battleship for ranked, but found much more success in Gneisenau). Here is the thread from the end of last season.

It was a fun thread, and I've decided might be interesting to do the same sort of thing before I start playing in this season, and then at the end of this season I'll make an end of season post like the one above. The first thing I want to mention is that I'm not some crazy good player. We hear a lot about the exploits of some elite players, and that's very cool and all, but every now and then it can be nice to get more of a view from the ground. With that said, I want to jump straight to my goal for this season. I'm starting at Rank 17 this season since I made it up to 11 last season. My goal this season is to get to Rank 8. Why Rank 8 you ask? Restless Fire. Simple as. Restless Fire camo is valuable as all hell, and at Rank 8, those are within my reach. Much beyond that is more than I have time, patience, or player skill to get to. Rank 8 will do for me.

Now I want to do some ship choices. As you can see down here, I am quite spoiled for choice.

5U5aGk9.png

What I want to do is point out 2 of each class that I think I'll use and briefly explain why. Maybe if it's a really close tie between more than 2, I'll do something like 2 primaries with an honorable mention. It's my thread. I make the rules here and I can disregard them as frequently as I like ahahahahahaha *mine is an evil laugh* he said, quoting Wash from Firefly.

DESTROYERS

I'm a firm believer that the primary goal of a destroyer in ranked battles is to control and contest the capture points. Providing smoke is certainly a nice thing to do, but it's a secondary duty IMO. Spotting is also a great thing to do, but let's face it. Without the DDs making a good showing on capture point control it's an extremely uphill battle. To that end, I present my first pick in destroyers.

kvgHPlj.png

I bet most of you were expecting the Farragut. Not this time. I really think old Ernst Gaede is going to be a bit of a dark horse this season. Everyone is so focused on Farragut's ability to lay smoke but I don't see many people pointing out that Gaede is the only DD in this tier range that can see through smoke. Sure. She isn't the fastest, but she'll hit almost 38 knots with the speed flag. She might not have the best guns out there, but even with my more torpedo focused captain and a paltry 10 captain points, they should be good enough for harassing fire and killing of DDs that can't fight back. That last bit is the trick of it. I can do it in randoms, but will it work in ranked? The idea is to aggressively engage the enemy DD so that their only hope of escape lies in popping their smoke to hide in it. Then with Gaede, you rapidly close the range to inside of Hydro range (3.96km) and then pop your own smoke. Once in your own smoke, you can blast the enemy DD with relative impunity and since the whole tactic revolves around Hydro, it means you always have hydro up when doing this in smoke so it's very hard to torpedo you out of the smoke. On the subject of torpedoes and smoke, Gaede again isn't the best (Farragut easily has the strongest smoke and Fubuki easily takes the top spot in torpedoes) but Gaede isn't far behind. Mostly I'm concerned with the torpedoes. If enemies try to camp smoke, Gaede has 8km range, 65 knot speed torpedoes that deal 13,700 damage and reload in 81 seconds. That's actually quite potent and tier 6. Her main downsides are the weaker smoke, the lower DPM of the guns, and that she's pretty vulnerable to return fire (even for a DD). I also choke up the relatively short main battery range as a weakness as I don't have AFT on this captain. Speaking of that, I just realized I said I only have a paltry 10 points, but I have 13 and 3 are unspent. If I just wanted to play this ship in random battles, I'd probably take Demo Expert to get a 9% chance of fire, but I'll probably go for Superintendent instead because the extra smoke and the extra hydro will be very useful in ranked battles. This is my 1 real Dark Horse pick, and it's one where I really hope things go well. If they do, I want to kind of pump my fist and be proud because when I heard t6 ranked, I instantly though, "Gaede hydro has real potential to dominate," while all the really good players I follow were basically putting this ship down as useless. We shall see.

My second pick in destroyers is much more conventional. That's right. It's the Farragut.

HBiSGPl.png

The Farragut is a ship with many flaws, but also many virtues and those virtues are large and tend to work well in these type of matches. This is nothing new. Farragut is fast, has the best smoke, and her 5x127mm guns are down right amazing for killing DDs at close ranges. They are also pretty decent for harassment fire. Her concealment isn't great, but it's good enough if you have Concealment Expert. Farragut is let down by her torpedoes a bit, having short range and low damage, but she fires 8 at a time and they have a fast reload so that is nice. The biggest flaw my Farragut has is her captain. I've only got a 9 pointer, but 1 battle in Missouri to get 10,000 elite captain EXP will solve that problem, giving me a 10 point captain with Concealment Expert. That'll help me a lot. With that said, the main strength of the Farragut to me lies in her familiarity. I've played every USN DD in the game and I've been playing them now for a long time. I know what Farragut can do, I know what I can do and I know what the two of us combine together to create. For all the strengths and weaknesses of this destroyer, it comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing only. If you want to win a point blank 1v1 DD fight at tier 6 - Farragut. Except no substitutes. Literally the only things I would fear in that vein are me blundering into a torpedo due to overconfidence in my ability to chase and and kill the enemy, or an Ernst Gaede using the hydro trick on me, but since I know the hydro trick it wouldn't work anyway.

BATTLESHIPS

Battleships are the class which I consider myself to be the best at. They're the easiest to be passably good in, but actually pretty damn difficult to play to their fullest potential, and that stems from the role of a battleship. As the name implies, battleships are for battling. A battleship needs to be engaged in battle, and battle is a pretty hostile environment, so maximizing ship's survivability while also outputting maximum damage is a tricky thing to do, and that's what separates the men from the boys with regards to battleship play. When I'm in a battleship, my role is to present a major credible threat to the enemy that cannot be ignored so that they shoot me. All the while, I need to be delivering heavy blows to enemy ships. If I'm not dealing damage, I'm not a threat, and I won't be shot at. If I'm not being shot at, someone else on my team is being shot at and my goal is to absorb fire as long as I can while my team finds and kills the enemy DDs and cruisers, takes all the capture points, and wins the battle. If last season of ranked taught me one thing, it was that battleships need to be able to rely on the authority of their main guns above all else. Putting in massive hits to cruisers in an eye blink, shaving off 1/4 of the enemy BB HP in 1 salvo, etc. The Scharnhorst straight up could not do that, but Gneisenau could. With that in mind, these are the battleships I intend to use this season.

First pick goes to Warspite hands down.

nUIwcF7.png

When it comes to a battleship, in a lot of ways Warspite exemplifies what I want. First off, the 15" guns of the Warspite are just deadly. She can overmatch the armor of every target she will face. There is no such thing as tanking fire from Warspite. Her guns are also very accurate. Warspite guns make me think of the time in (I think) A Storm of Swords when Arya Stark gets captured by The Brotherhood Without Banners, and she points at the warning shot arrow that Anguy the archer fired at her feet and says, "You missed." He just looks her dead in the eye and says, "They go where I send 'em." That's Warspite gunnery described by Game of Thrones characters. It's not just the main battery though. Warspite has better secondaries than most people think, and I frequently get closer than 7,599 meters with this battleship, so they can actually help out. This ship also has excellent agility, allowing it to avoid a lot of incoming fire and torpedoes. Another strength of Warspite is that while she isn't a true fast battleship, she isn't stuck at 21 knots either. This ship will actually do damn near 25 knots if you let her. For tier 6, that's good mobility in a BB. The Warspite also has good survivability. Now, her tanking ability is a bit of a double edged sword. Warspite burns so readily that I think she must be made out of A6M Zero fighters, she can be citadel penetrated, and a lot of the time she takes a lot of normal pen damage too, but that is offset (in my opinion at least) but the peculiarities of Warspite's consumables. Her Damage Control Party is the cruiser version, so it cools down very fast. Her Repair Party can also repair more citadel and normal pen damage. Warspite certainly isn't invulnerable, or even the toughest battleship in tier 6, but she can step up close to the action, lay down brutal gunfire on opponents, and at the same time survive the return barrage for a good long time, and that's what I want out of a BB.

In that vein, my 2nd pick is a bit of a weird one. 
mWltAUa.png
Bayern. Yes I know I did say Bayern. Again, this is a case of "unfortunately low skilled captain." With even a 10 point captain this ship would be a lot more formidable. Then I would have AFT and my AA and Secondary range would be 20% greater, and those are both very good things to have on Bayern. So my logic with Bayern is pretty simple. First off, last time ranked was in tier 6, I used Bayern to good effect. She has the toughness to get in close and really fight the enemy. Her 15" guns aren't Warspite levels of good, being markedly less accurate and also not hitting as hard, but the key feature is that they are 15" guns and thus can overmatch. Another point in Bayern's favor is that she has the best AA on a battleship at tier 6 and her secondaries are also useful. Lastly, like Warspite, for a t6 battleship the Bayern is actually pretty fast and agile. These are both good features of a battleship and should not be overlooked. The biggest downside of the Bayern is that my captain is really low skilled. I've only got 6 points on this guy. The other down sides to Bayern is that she doesn't have the ability to really effectively fire at long ranges, and that can be important. Lastly, the Bayern is pretty vulnerable to HE and fires since she has a really low HP pool. That said, if played well the ship is deadly.

CRUISERS

There is no doubt that cruisers are useful ships to have on a team, but unfortunately there is no doubt that cruisers are also the class I tend to do worst in (besides carriers, but I basically don't play those anymore so I don't even count them). Cruisers are hard to do well in because everyone shoots them. Simple as. With that said, I have 10 tier 6 cruisers in my port, and at some point I might play some of them. Cruiser role is basically to be the skill monkey class. Cruisers should carry enough firepower to be useful in basically every situation. They should bring in helpful consumables like Defensive Fire and Hydro to help cover their team and flush out enemies. It's also nice if they come equipped with some means of self preservation, be it stealth, speed, agility, range, armor, or just brutal firepower.

With that said, I think Graf Spee is my first pick for a cruiser.

8GVdJqB.png

Don't get me wrong. The old girl isn't perfect, but I think she's got it where it counts. I'll give some of the downsides of this ship first. Right off the bat, she's the slowest cruiser in tier 6. Even with speed flag she won't crack 30 knots (29.9 SO CLOSE). Honestly I don't see that as a huge problem because she's fast enough to keep pace, but it really isn't ideal to be a slow cruiser. Another real weakness to Graf Spee is that she is pretty mediocre at killing destroyers. Her main battery lacks the accuracy to land many hits in a single salvo, it doesn't fire fast enough to compensate, and neither does it hit hard enough to compensate. Another down side is that Graf Spee has weak AA and has to choose between Defensive Fire or Hydro. As a German, I choose Hydro. So with those substantial downsides, what does Graf Spee bring to the table that makes her worth taking? First off, she rocks strong firepower. Her 283mm main battery are very deadly to cruisers and even something a battleship cannot ignore. She also packs 4 strong torpedoes per side with good range of 8km - potentially quite harmful to those who like to live their lives wreathed in smoke. If Graf Spee can't pen with AP, she can swap to HE and set fires with a high fire chance, and she has a pretty fair rate of fire, so this could become troublesome. The other great things Graf Spee has are toughness, and the ability to mount a captain from any German ship. In regards to toughness, Spee actually has armor protection, and it's not completely worthless. She can actually stand up to cruiser fire pretty well. No cruiser stands up to battleship fire, but Spee will weather it no worse than any other and better than most. The real important part is the heal though. I'll give up a lot in order to get a heal, and I honestly feel Spee doesn't actually give up too much. Lastly, I can put my Bismarck captain in here, or my Roon captain. Either one would work pretty well and a high skill point captain is a substantial leg up.

HONORABLE MENTIONS - BATTLESHIPS

OvlEDyC.png

I would strongly consider taking Mutsu, mainly for the reasons of firepower that I give with Warspite. However I have 2 major reservations which will likely prevent me from using her. First off, I just got the ship a few days ago and have exactly 0 battle experience in her. Secondly, I know she's even squishier than Warspite can be. Warspite offsets her squishy bits by having extra tanky DCP and heal. Mutsu has neither. IMO she leans a bit heavy towards the firepower apex on the classic "iron triangle" for my liking. 

AjjNpAW.pngivRX4FR.png

Arizona and New Mexico

I'm lumping these two together for a good reasons. These 2 BBs are probably my #3 choice after Warspite and Bayern, putting Mutsu at a cool #4, but still only by a nose. Ironically, New Mex/Zona lose out on firepower, but they make up for that loss of firepower by a gain of firepower. Namely, 14" guns can't overmatch everything they face, but Mex/Zona each have a LOT of 14" guns to cover that little hiccup. Arizona wins brownie points for supreme accuracy, and New Mexico gains them right back again for having better penetration power. New Mexico also scores points for being the better "general purpose" battleship of the two, mainly owing to the fact that it has functional AA. It's no Montana, but Arizona AA is bad. It's better than 1 guy on deck with an M1911, but not by much. It's like 1 guy on top of the mast with a Lewis gun or something. That said, I can drop my 19 point Montana captain in Arizona and have really good skills, plus earn elite captain EXP to use on all my other weak captains. That said, of the two, I personally prefer New Mexico and it's 100% down to the guns. Arizona trades brute force for better accuracy. On the New Mexico, I get close enough that I don't need accuracy but the brute force is never a drawback. The lower pen on the Zona is.

HONORABLE MENTIONS - DESTROYERS\

H1xYSjz.png

Anshan is a capable DD for sure. The only reservations I have about it are that, again, I don't have many captains skills with it, and that I just don't play the ship that often. It's a good boat and I like it for what it is, but I really got it more to collect and not as much to play. I find that in things like ranked battles, you're better off having a sword you're comfortable using rather than a unfamiliar sword that just happens to be extremely sharp. Often, you end up cutting your own leg off because you don't know your weapon well enough to not do something stupid. that's my only DD honorable mention, so time for the cruiser conundrum.

HONORABLE MENTIONS - CRUISERS

There are many here too.

aoxWj8v.png

I'll put De Grasse/Le Galissonier first. Also - the premium camo on De Grasse is so hideous I'd like to stab myself in the eye whenever I see it, so I grabbed Gamescom Camo instead. I agree with people I've listened to who say that De Grasse/Le Gal will probably do well since they have the ability to put out good fire support, have good mobility, and can bring some consumables support to the party. Since they probably want to be more in the back, Def Fire is probably better than hydro IMO, but maybe if a De Grasse were in smoke with a BB the De Grasse could provide hydro cover.

IOPJcui.png

The Champion of AA - unfortunately for the once mighty Cleveland, that's easily her only real stand out strong point. She has a lot of guns, but has to be pretty close to use them. Cleveland is tough for a CL, but she's also known as a HUGE threat and garners a lot of focus fire, so that toughness is of dubious value at best. A solid choice for sure, but just not the powerhouse she once was. Good thing is, if there are no CVs around, she can swap in hydro and be a monster DD killer if allowed to get close.

X9qgENk.png

Budyonny can basically do what De Grasse/ Le Gal does, except is worse at AA, is better looking, can't speed boost, but has better belt armor. Oh and worse torpedoes by a lot actually. That said, hard to go wrong with the good old Buddy.

Honestly, there are virtues and uses I can readily point to for almost every cruiser at this tier. Leander has her smoke and amazing fire support ability, plus great torpedoes, hydro, heal and semi-adequate AA. You'd want to be in a group to make that AA worth while, but hey - it's not Arizona AA, so it counts for something at least. Duca D'Aosta is faster than The Devil when he's running from a crazy Baptist preacher, and agile as a snake. It has insane range on it's torpedoes (it's a stealth torping cruiser FFS lol) and might work well at harming smoke campers. It has the insane gun velocity making it laser accurate against all targets at any range. Molotov can delete cruiers, but it's so squishy it makes the Pensacola look tanky. Nurnberg has really high long range firepower with her 9x150mm guns and their rapid rate of fire. Perth has that weird smoke screen that can move, plus fires normal HE and AP shells... there is a case to be made for literally every cruiser I own at tier 6. The thing is, by my mind Graf Spee is the only one that really stands out to me, and after that it's just a few that I might consider using like De Grasse, Cleveland, or Leander.

So ladies and gentlemen, that was my massively long thread about what rank I want to strive for and which ships fit my theory crafting. Now it's on to the adventure of testing my doctrines in the crucible of battle. I hope at least 1 person out there actually gets through this and enjoys it for something.

• Cool 3

Members
7,122 posts
26,433 battles

Responding to your DD analysis. Well done. Been mainly playing the Farragut, have earned a couple loser tokens for caps, but it struggles against a good IJN captain, that .3k'ish lack of detectability can be a real problem. the Anshan is my next ship to try, I've seen a few and two things come to mind, I don't think I can out gun him in Farragut, only one real knife fight and he got the jump on me so unsure of this........and twice the Anshan did little and died early but still got number one in xp, (maybe like the Sims last season, biggest loser award). I outfitted my Gaede months ago assuming that would be my boy, need to try him next!

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

After a couple ranked battles.....:

Everybody has a Cleveland.  TWO on each side..  Every game.

Don't even THINK about taking a CV into ranked.

And so I sunk a New Mexico with my Perth by burning it down.  It fired a few shots at me, but -- no lock..  no luck.

I'm basically playing the Belfast role.. only better.  Took BOTH caps.  Made all the Clevelands duck and cover with random torpedo spreads.

[SIM]
Members
1,745 posts

Very well written. I agree on you with some of your ships but, then again it all comes down to the individual and what she or he is able to preform in any particular ship. Best of luck to you this season.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

I just read the old thread, and in both this one and the old one I described something that was catching on fire too much as "being made out of A6M2 fighters." Everyone knows that the A6M Zero is the most flammable object on earth. Some guy I met in War Thunder once described it as being constructed out of paper mache that was well soaked in The Emperor's finest kerosene.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

I've pretty much given up on Ernst. It just isn't working out and it's almost entirely down to agility of the ship. I've never used a ship with such a high speed that also continually goes so slow. The number says almost 40 knots but it feels like I'm sailing Graf Spee. It turns so poorly and runs at such a low speed that unless I can drop my own smoke and retreat down the screen, it isn't possible to disengage from an unfavorable situation. It's actually easier to disengage in a battleship, because at least the battleship has the durability to survive a few maneuvers and to let the gun bloom drop down to normal.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

I can't settle on any DD choice: they all have severe weaknesses that preclude their use. The Gaede's smoke is too short and she is too easily spotted, and her torp reload is forever. Fubuki and Hatsu have crappy guns. Shinonome and Fubuki have too high detect and Shino's torps are too short ranged. Farragut has no torp ability, unless up against utter potatoes. Anshan and Gnevny are harassers, not cappers. Etc. I mostly play Hatsu, with its low detect at least you can sometimes hide from trouble and can cap. But you can't really gunboat in it and I enjoy gunboating in my IJN DDs.

I've played 3 games in Buddy and lost 2. Didn't bring cleveland, don't like the range. Played no other cruisers in Ranked. Might take out Molotov one of these days....

In BBs I have played only Fuso. Warspite and Mutsu are made of pudding, especially the latter, and Warspite's range is crimped. New Mexico and Arizona are too slow and waiting for that reload sucks. Az is at least tanky, N Mexico is surprisingly squishy, especially if you catch her angled just the right way, even Fuso can bow-cit her. Bayern I played last time and did very well in it. I might bring that out when I get bored with Fuso. 

I don't bother with AA, just exit the queue if 2 CVs appear. I seldom see CVs, thankfully, they ruin games as it is and doubly so in Ranked where everything depends on their performance. Glad at least that I can avoid them in Ranked.  

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles
11 hours ago, Ajax_the_Great1 said:

Too long, didn't read.

I'm just going to assume you wrote stock Nurnberg best boat.

Get out.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles
11 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I can't settle on any DD choice: they all have severe weaknesses that preclude their use. The Gaede's smoke is too short and she is too easily spotted, and her torp reload is forever. Fubuki and Hatsu have crappy guns. Shinonome and Fubuki have too high detect and Shino's torps are too short ranged. Farragut has no torp ability, unless up against utter potatoes. Anshan and Gnevny are harassers, not cappers. Etc. I mostly play Hatsu, with its low detect at least you can sometimes hide from trouble and can cap. But you can't really gunboat in it and I enjoy gunboating in my IJN DDs.

I've played 3 games in Buddy and lost 2. Didn't bring cleveland, don't like the range. Played no other cruisers in Ranked. Might take out Molotov one of these days....

In BBs I have played only Fuso. Warspite and Mutsu are made of pudding, especially the latter, and Warspite's range is crimped. New Mexico and Arizona are too slow and waiting for that reload sucks. Az is at least tanky, N Mexico is surprisingly squishy, especially if you catch her angled just the right way, even Fuso can bow-cit her. Bayern I played last time and did very well in it. I might bring that out when I get bored with Fuso. 

I don't bother with AA, just exit the queue if 2 CVs appear. I seldom see CVs, thankfully, they ruin games as it is and doubly so in Ranked where everything depends on their performance. Glad at least that I can avoid them in Ranked.  

There are some interesting comments in here. I think when I get home from work I might comment a little. I'm sitting in my truck unloading right now and mobile posting always sucks. 

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Out of curiosity, what's your tier 3 captain skill on the Farragut?

I had been running BFT for a while, but I decided to swap it for SE, and the difference between 11500 HP and 13600 HP has been quite interesting. I think it's worth the drop in RoF... but I'm curious about what others think.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,138 battles
26 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

I had been running BFT for a while, but I decided to swap it for SE, and the difference between 11500 HP and 13600 HP has been quite interesting. I think it's worth the drop in RoF... but I'm curious about what others think.

I chose SE for my Farragut level 3 skill (and for all my other Ranked-spec DD's as well).  So many matches seem to be survived by a matter of a few hundred hit points that it must have paid for itself several times over already.

I don't find BFT as important for Ranked since your role as a DD is mainly to scout and smoke for your team.  Not too many full out DD gun duels going on, even though I don't mind using Farragut every so often in the anti-DD role.

[V1LIN]
Beta Testers
73 posts
9,796 battles

So far my best luck has been the Cleveland and the shinonome which I've managed to break my rank 10 curse (first 2 days spent back and forth between rank 10 and 11) and make it to rank 5 yesterday. I've just bought back my farragut though and Im hoping the ability to support the fleet will be more useful from rank 5 onwards. 

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,422 battles

Try the Leander out, I've found it to be very strong in this meta.

Members
6,889 posts
14,871 battles

IMHO - the Spee needs another turret to be really effective in ranked after taking it out a couple of times.  When I initially played her (just after I got her) I hated the ship.  Came back to it earlier this year and did VERY well in it.  Decided to continue the German BBs and put it on the back burner again.  Got it out again for ranked and....  struggled with it.  Needs one n=more turret imho.

So - I took the Bayern out instead and did juuuuuust fine with it.  Went up a couple of levels and got lots of flags (my main goal - I will never be in the top 25%).

Members
1,210 posts

If the Shinonome is so bad then why are some of the best DD players in the game playing it as their choice of DD

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles
3 hours ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Personally, I have Superintendent. Probably not as good as Survival Expert, but I'd rather have either over BFT. That's just me. 

Members
6,889 posts
14,871 battles

Can't buy a win today in ranked with the Bayern.

1 for 8 with a couple close games.  Finishing up in the top 3 most of the time.

Edited by CylonRed

Sign in to follow this