BaronVonTom

Favorite WW2 Movie Poll

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

Favorite WW2 Movies (choose more than one if you want)   90 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite WW2 movies?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I thought this might be fun.  get peoples opinions on the best ww2 movie ever made.  I have the intial top 30 in the poll but feel free to mention your favorite if it isn't in the poll.  I maxed out at 30 entries....so anyone's choice not on the list is mentioned below in honorable Mentions.

NOTE: Director Ridley Scott is in production for the new Battle of Britain movie.  If Scott is directing, you know the cast is going to be great.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/apr/04/ridley-scott-to-direct-battle-of-britain-passion-project-movie

Honorable Mentions:

Dunkirk (in theatres July 21st)

Patton

Mister Roberts

Ensign Pulver

Bataan

Red Tails

Objective Burma

Inglorious Basterds

The Enemy Below 

"The Winds of War" Miniseries and the Sequel "War and Remembrance" Miniseries

The Bridge at Remagen

Operation Petticoat

Band of Brothers Miniseries

Heaven Knows (Robert Mitchum)

The Wackiest Ship in the Army.

The Horizontal Lieutenant

The Flying Tigers

The Big Red One

Battle of Britain

Memphis Belle

Wake Island

Air Force

Destination Tokyo

The Fighting Sullivans

The Train

Where Eagles Dare

U-571

Pearl Harbor

Empire of the Sun

The Thin Red Line

The Best of Enemies (1961)

Father Goose

Hell in the Pacific

The Caine Mutiny

The Dam Busters

Squadron 303

Mosquito Squadron

30 Seconds over Tokyo

The Fighting Lady

Men of the Fighting Lady

Ships With Wings

Flat Top

Task Force

Grave of the Fireflies

The Final Countdown

The Eternal Zero

Tuskegee Airmen

633 Squadron

The Desert Rats

Come and See

To Hell and Back

They Were Expendable

Edited by BaronVonTom

If you add Fury to the list, I'll probably pick that.

Edited by AspiringCodger

I really liked Valkyrie, though it's not really the best WW2 movie ever. 

I voted your entire list.

Enemy at the Gates...also excellent.

Edited by ErichTopp_U552

Fury, Enemy at the gates and valk. added.

21 minutes ago, Lert said:

Not yet kameraden. Not yet!

No doubt in my mind this is the best sub movie ever made.  Even the ww2 vets that served on subs said it was the most realistic sub movie they had ever seen.  It really represents what it was like to be on a submarine in ww2.  Run Silent Run Deep is also really good, albeit an old movie but still a good one.

1 minute ago, Apaosha said:

And a side note Kellys Heros was actually a tv series in the 70s on NBC before it became a movie staring Odd Ball WOOF WOOF WOOF gimme a bottle of scotch.

lmbo yeppers!!!  Donald Sutherland's performance is spot on.  Funny as hell.  Great cast too.  For all star casts though, Midway, The Longest Day, and In Harms Way top my list.

What about Flags of Our Fathers?  You mentioned Letters From Iwo Jima

Edited by HamptonRoads

How could you NOT have ' The Great Escape ' on your list ?!?!? I'm shocked !!!  :O 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  so sorry  added.  When I started this i thought I only had 25 choices....but nope...seems you can have more than 25.

Edited by BaronVonTom

21 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

What about Flags of Our Fathers?  You mentioned Letters From Iwo Jima

Added

Is hard just to pick one I have to go back and watch a bunch of those now

Just now, silverdahc said:

Is hard just to pick one I have to go back and watch a bunch of those now

You can pick more than one.....also Downfall is a little known movie about Hitlers last ten days in Berlin.  The director went above and beyond to make it as historically accurate as possible based on eyewitness accounts and interviews.  The actor, Bruno Ganz, did a great job playing Hitler.  The reviews were really good "Solid history, fine cinema. Downfall is gripping, moving, and, in the end, profoundly horrifying."

21 minutes ago, knice_destroyer said:

The enemy below with Robert Mitchum.

Crap....lol....Thats a damn good movie too.  I am maxed out at 30 choices......but I'll include it in my honorable mentions, even though it is far better than an honorable mention..

One of my personal favorites is "The Bridge at Remagen", which I am sure I spelled wrong and which I am sure Lert will correct as he speaks the language better than I ever could or ever will.

It starred ... well ... everybody. (George Segal, Robert Vaughn, Robert Redford, tons of other big stars)

3 hours ago, Lert said:

Not yet kameraden. Not yet!

I cannot watch "Das Boot"; that damn movie is too intense and too traumatic.

(Long story, one of my personal phobias is claustrophobia: I could never serve aboard a sub)

You spelled it correctly.  Added to Honorable mentions as I am maxed out at 30 for choices.

As a retired submariner, Das Boot is the obvious choice. I submit though, that the absolute best WW2 movie is not on the list. That would be Operation Petticoat. 

Edited by Lancer240

Band of Brothers miniseries, Fury, Das Boot, Schindler's List, Enemy at the Gates, and Inglorious Basterds, probably in that order.

Band of Brothers was fantastic...added rto honorable mention list......and Operation petticoat was pretty funny.  Added to honorable mention list.

56 minutes ago, BaronVonTom said:

Band of Brothers was fantastic...added rto honorable mention list......and Operation petticoat was pretty funny.  Added to honorable mention list.

There are just so many films about WW2, as it was the defining event of the 20th Century.

Some ones I enjoyed but which I didn't see mentioned are:

The Flying Tigers

and many, many more.

Trouble is, all these movies suck (from a technical point of view). They were all low-budget turkeys which were cranked out by the handful and sent off to drive-in theaters everywhere to turn a quick buck. When you go back and watch then as an adult you cringe at the mistakes and liberties the directors took.

But when you were a kid, growing up in post WW2 America, knowing your nation was the big kid across the world. these turkeys were solid gold, and I remember sitting in front of the TV watching these every Saturday morning on the local independent stations "Adventure Theatre!" movie.

The best war movie you'll ever see is the one you see when you're 10.

53 minutes ago, Umikami said:

There are just so many films about WW2, as it was the defining event of the 20th Century.

Some ones I enjoyed but which I didn't see mentioned are:

The Flying Tigers

and many, many more.

Trouble is, all these movies suck (from a technical point of view). They were all low-budget turkeys which were cranked out by the handful and sent off to drive-in theaters everywhere to turn a quick buck. When you go back and watch then as an adult you cringe at the mistakes and liberties the directors took.

But when you were a kid, growing up in post WW2 America, knowing your nation was the big kid across the world. these turkeys were solid gold, and I remember sitting in front of the TV watching these every Saturday morning on the local independent stations "Adventure Theatre!" movie.

The best war movie you'll ever see is the one you see when you're 10.

Added.  There are a lot and many of them are low budget, but The Flying Tigers I thought was pretty good.  Robert Mitchum was the lead actor in Winds of War miniseries and it's sequel War and Remembrance, which is a fantastic miniseries if you have the time to watch it.  Mitchum was in a bunch of war movies along with Henry Fonda (who always seemed to play an Admiral in the Navy films).  

On a funny side note, my son was writing a paper for High School film class and it was about the differences in the submarine war movies of old (1940-1960) compared with the newer submarine films (1980+).  He thought the special effects in the older ones was horrible!!!  LOL.  Yes son I said, but back than it was state of the art.  He said well, that was tons and tons of years ago. He thoroughly loved Das Boot.  

The special effects aside, there was a ton of patriotism and propaganda in the old war films....maybe just a little patriotism in the newer ones and certainly no or very little propaganda.  They are ALL good and fun to watch in my mind.  One of my favorites is In Harms Way with John Wayne and Kirk Douglas, Burgess Meredith, and a young Larry Hagman as well as other well knowns.  And cannot forget Patricia Neal, one of Wayne's frequent female co stars.