You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralMudkip

Udaloi

15 comments in this topic

[NLIST]
Members
618 posts
8,201 battles

In detail, how well does the Udaloi compare to its Tier 9 peers? I'm currently grinding the Ognevoi and I'm looking forward to use its 15 torpedo tubes. Is the Grozovoi better than the Udaloi or is like a side upgrade like how it is from the Fletcher to the Gearing?

What's the usual captain build for the Udaloi?

• Cool 1

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,323 battles

I'm super biased but the Udaloi is the best ship in the game.  Now that aside she is really strong and works well with the same setups as kiev, tash, and khab.  Focus on guns but pick up super intendent and the def AA consumable.  No need for concealment but can be played closer up than most VMF DDs.

After playing Udaloi you are going to be extremely disappointed in the Grozovoi.

Edited by MountainManxDan

Members
5,455 posts
21,246 battles

The Udaloi is a joy. You just run around guns blazing setting fires and protecting your fleet from air attack. 

I wouldn't know how she compares tot the Grozovoi as I'm not interesting in that ship. But I've spent a lot time in my Udaloi and I won't sell her. She is a pour gun boat and now she has Defensive Fire so CV leave her alone. 

Her torpedoes are only 8k and really should be used as ambush or self defense weapons, don't go into a game trying to use them. Focus on setting fires, harassing other ships, screwing with CV planes and just leave the torps alone. 

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles

Let me see... Udaloy will have a total 15 torpedoes when upgraded. So by stock, it's a total 9 torpedoes. But do keep in mind, after the new sub-line update, Udaloy has experienced some changes: now has B-2-U DP guns by default, but receives 53-49 postwar torpedoes that have shorter range of 6.0km, yet faster. However, the 53-49M torpedoes have 8.0km range like before, but faster than the previous pre-subline update version. Though the upgraded Udaloy sacrificed some concealment, torpedoing a ship in direct approach can still be doable as long as you got someone else to back you up.

Comparison: Udaloy can be quite flexible with main guns & torpedoes, but may not be as good as the German Z-46 in torpedo range (while less powerful than 53-49), nor be as good as Fletcher in AA and torpedoes either. Still, Udaloy can do just as well in AA defense. At least better than Yuugumo in some parameters excluding torpedoes.

Grozovoy seems to be a great improvement over Udaloy in main guns, AA weapons & torpedoes, given Grozovoy was directly developed from Udaloy after WWII. SM-2-1 main gun has higher muzzle velocity, higher rate of fire (which is very much needed for the coming Neustrashimy & Kotlin), traverse rate & better AA firepower. Like Moskva, comes with the SM-20-ZIF & BL-120 AA guns which are quite devastating. 53-50 torpedoes actually gives you the slight edge over the German equivalent.

Edited by Xero_Snake

[NLIST]
Members
618 posts
8,201 battles
17 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Her torpedoes are only 8k and really should be used as ambush or self defense weapons, don't go into a game trying to use them. Focus on setting fires, harassing other ships, screwing with CV planes and just leave the torps alone. 

Aww. I'm kinda sad that they're only 8 km range. I'm a big user of torpedoes and have used it a lot whenever I play as the Fletcher or Gearing. 

7 minutes ago, Xero_Snake said:

Grozovoy seems to be a great improvement over Udaloy in main guns, AA weapons & torpedoes, given Grozovoy was directly developed from Udaloy after WWII. SM-2-1 main gun has higher muzzle velocity, higher rate of fire (which is very much needed for the coming Neustrashimy & Kotlin), traverse rate & better AA firepower. Like Moskva, comes with the SM-20-ZIF & BL-120 AA guns which are quite devastating. 53-50 torpedoes actually gives you the slight edge over the German equivalent.

Somewhat related question, but if the Grozovoi/Grozovoy is a great improvement to the Tier 9 destroyer, then why does people seem to not like it? 

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,323 battles
8 minutes ago, AdmiralMudkip said:

Aww. I'm kinda sad that they're only 8 km range. I'm a big user of torpedoes and have used it a lot whenever I play as the Fletcher or Gearing. 

Somewhat related question, but if the Grozovoi/Grozovoy is a great improvement to the Tier 9 destroyer, then why does people seem to not like it? 

The torpedoes aren't relied on like the fletcher but I use them quite often.  

This person has no experience or knowledge on any of these ships and is just quoting wiki.  

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,795 posts
30,931 battles

I have better games on her, but my trashcan has my only witherer. 

Both play slightly different, but are both strong.

Comparing the 2 end tier ships knob is much better.

So if you want to minimize grind play tier 9 ship that gets her.

Otherwise, you will enjoy both tier 9 dds.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,983 posts
3,253 battles

Can't say much about Udaloi... But I've seen a Gorozovoi in battle several times and each time I've seen it, it appears to hold its own against tier 10s. Rate of fire and shell velocity on it are great from what I've seen, and it can be an annoying enemy. Not too sure how much of an upgrade it is from Udaloi, but it's far from a bad ship with what I've seen it do.

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles
50 minutes ago, AdmiralMudkip said:

Don't even try to use the torpedoes? Come on. It's at least better than the ones on Tashkent in many ways. I'm currently working on a detailed assessment regarding on VMF crusiers & destroyers, along with new tactics & strategies for new purpose.

Why they don't like? Beside "hurr durr bias boycott", maybe something to do with their view on being somewhat similar to Z-52 and the "lack of diversity".

Edited by Xero_Snake
  • Cool 1

[NLIST]
Members
618 posts
8,201 battles
18 minutes ago, Xero_Snake said:

Don't even try to use the torpedoes? Come on. It's at least better than the ones on Tashkent in many ways. I'm currently working on a detailed assessment regarding on VMF crusiers & destroyers, along with new tactics & strategies for new purpose.

Why they don't like? Beside "hurr durr bias boycott", maybe something to do with their view on being somewhat similar to Z-52 and the "lack of diversity".

That is true. But my preference is that I can safely launch my torpedoes at a nice range while giving myself ample time for retreat. 

Ah. So people who play the Grozovoi(y) think the ship is... bland? I like the 10 km torpedoes (I'm not sure if I like the reload time like the ones on the Fletcher) and the guns seem amazing. It seems to have good AA armament. 

[-K--]
Members
589 posts
15,102 battles
4 hours ago, AdmiralMudkip said:

That is true. But my preference is that I can safely launch my torpedoes at a nice range while giving myself ample time for retreat. 

Ah. So people who play the Grozovoi(y) think the ship is... bland? I like the 10 km torpedoes (I'm not sure if I like the reload time like the ones on the Fletcher) and the guns seem amazing. It seems to have good AA armament. 

I consider the range to be the only bummer about the Grozovoi. The Khab also has a lousy firing range but that nerf made sense because it was OP. Why the Groz also got 1km less range than the rest of the line is beyond me.

Other than that, though, I actually think it's good, if slightly overshadowed by its excellent predecessor. It has effective torpedoes (10km and actually fast unlike the Ognevoi/Khab 10km ones), the only guns in the line with sub-5-second reload, good concealment (better than Udaloi) and very very good AA.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,364 battles

The upper tier Russian DD's (which are NOT Khab) have a tendency to get focus fired as soon as they are spotted, Udaloi included. Their detection ranges do not help. The big lemon for the Russian DD line, their detection.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

udaloi is decent gunship DD.  grosovoi is good fleet DD.  they play totally different.     Grosovoi has max of 6.5km detection.  mine is setup with 7.2km detection.  I tend to play her as fleet scout while  udaloi is setup as low conceal gunship like the khab.      

I really enjoyed the 200+matches I've had in udaloi and it has my high dmg record with it.   Khab is just a consistently strong ship, but very much one dimensional.   Grosovoi is played more like the RN cruisers.    It has taken me 12matches to upgrade my torps to 10km, but havn't played it since.     smoke firing is its forte and really strong against DDs.    

[WOLF7]
Members
236 posts
8,421 battles

What is the AA rate for Grozovoi with AA upgrade and a captain with BFT and AFT? My Udaloi is rated

at 60, with a flag góes up to 62 i think.  I have played Just few matches with Udaloi, used the Free XP for modules upgrade. Not using concealment skill with captain só It has a detection of 8km, same as torp range, só I only use my torps when the other DD hides in smoke, I fire 2 salvos and run away, have been quite effective.