Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

Coming back to CVs

7 comments in this topic

Members
4,203 posts
8,877 battles

Well after not playing CVs for a while and while working the Kongo up, the weekend while the IJN prices were lower I bought a Hosho I do like this little CV, been doing Co-Op until I get her work up.

So any tips as far as random games?

Edited by Chaos_EN2

[ARPOG]
-Members-
870 posts
11,070 battles

First thing: Hopefully you know that manual drops and strafes have been removed from tier 4 and 5 CVs. This means that a Hosho will NEVER be able to win a fighter duel with a Langley, nor will a Zuiho ever be able to win a fighter duel against the Bogue. When you gain strafes at tier 6, there are ways to outplay the superior USN fighters, however few of these options are available at tier 4 and 5. If you really struggle dealing with this, you can try divisioning with a Texas for AA, however this still requires the enemy CV to blunder into the relatively short-range AA bubble. 

The IJN CVs are all about the torpedo bombers, and the Hosho/Zuiho are no exception. While you do not have manual drops, you can quite easily cross drop enemy ships, or land solid hits on slower, less mobile targets. Try to bait the enemy fighters over to one side of the map, while striking on the other, and focus on maximising the number of strikes you can send per game by moving your carrier closer to the battle. Once you get Zuiho, you can start to set DoT effects on enemy ships, which is a good increase in damage output. 

Members
4,203 posts
8,877 battles
3 minutes ago, Teahee said:

Hopefully you know that manual drops and strafes have been removed from tier 4 and 5 CVs.

Teahee yes I knew, this was of the reasons I quit CVs but I hoping I be able to learn in the Training how to manual drop/strafe when I get to TL 6 before I do random. Also I think staying just in the IJN line unless the RN line of CVs comes out soon.

And thanks for the other advice, BTW would you keep the lower tier Carriers - for grinding credits? I was thinking about getting the Langley again or would you just stay one line?

[ARPOG]
-Members-
870 posts
11,070 battles
Just now, Chaos_EN2 said:

Teahee yes I knew, this was of the reasons I quit CVs but I hoping I be able to learn in the Training how to manual drop/strafe when I get to TL 6 before I do random. Also I think staying just in the IJN line unless the RN line of CVs comes out soon.

And thanks for the other advice, BTW would you keep the lower tier Carriers - for grinding credits? I was thinking about getting the Langley again or would you just stay one line?

Honestly there is no reason to keep the tier 4 and 5 CVs after you have researched past them. They are no longer good at seal clubbing, and the CV economy, and the fact that they are low tier, means they are pretty bad at grinding credits. 

The IJN CV line is on the whole better than the USN line, and the Ryujo is a very fun CV which I would class as a keeper. The USN CVs are let down by poor loadout choices, however they are still largely competitive. 

If you want to grind credits on a CV, the obvious choice would be Kaga or Saipan at tier 7 since they are premium. However, I would highly advise against purchasing a premium tier 7 ship - especially a CV, without gaining experience in an equal tier regular vessel. Otherwise, the Ryujo is probably the best non-premium credit earner (with the exception of the Hakuryu using a premium camouflage). 

Members
4,203 posts
8,877 battles
1 minute ago, Teahee said:

Otherwise, the Ryujo is probably the best non-premium credit earner (with the exception of the Hakuryu using a premium camouflage). 

Okay thanks:Smile_Default:

Beta Testers
1,896 posts
10,003 battles

KEEP MOVING, use the map to plan a course. Do not go out without at least one fighter

Support the attack, do not go after other carriers early on.

wait before going after CVs, support your team,

do not be afraid to leave a bomber over a dd to help folks see it to kill it after you drop.

Sign in to follow this